• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 37, 2015

Tearaway is a game made with no one in mind, so nobody bought it. Makes sense.

In the same way that the likes of Super Mario or Rayman are made with no-one in mind? It's a cute platform game that will appeal to people of all ages. It's just that Sony's marketing for it has been godawful. Such a shame they give this brand a second chance at life and then don't bother pushing it at all. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Gravity Rush.

The average indie studio has how many devs? 10 maybe? Tearaway was made by 15 people, I imagine it was the same for Puppeteer, but I can't confirm that.

I recall the development team for Puppeteer being about 70+, as I recall. Certainly recall reading something like that in an interview with the director. A bigger development team than you would expect.

Loudninja

In the same way that the likes of Super Mario or Rayman are made with no-one in mind? It's a cute platform game that will appeal to people of all ages. It's just that Sony's marketing for it has been godawful. Such a shame they give this brand a second chance at life and then don't bother pushing it at all. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Gravity Rush.
The game had a tv ad.

Also a demo,dont get why this keep being said.

Kill3r7

The game had a tv ad.

Blaming advertising is easier than admitting that the market is indifferent towards Tearaway. The game is an absolute gem (I had a blast playing it last year) and generally has a very positive WoM. Yet, it failed to take off again.

The game had a tv ad.

Fair enough, I forgot it had a demo. I haven't seen any ads for it though. I still don't think their marketing has been too hot though - I wonder what the marketing budget was like compared to, say, Super Mario Maker.

t_wilson01

Styti.png

France:
Week 36, 2015 - Individual Formats (Value)

02 (NE) PS4 MAD MAX (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
05 (NE) PS4 MAD MAX (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
Surely one of these two should be XBO.

lol Here in the UK Until dawn is like cocaine!

I've seen a few people leaving GAME on Sunday pissed off because they are having stock trouble. Anecdotally I hear this game is selling huge in EU especially in Germany!

Tearaway would have sold better as a Nintendo game I think.

lol Here in the UK Until dawn is like cocaine!

I've seen a few people leaving GAME on Sunday pissed off because they are having stock trouble. Anecdotally I hear this game is selling huge in EU especially in Germany!

Haha they should just go for digital if they want the game that much :p
It's only a couple quid more than physical.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I don't think it's an install base issue, even on PS2, Sony's IPs were popular mostly in Europe.

That's probably why they gave up on making exclusives that appeal to the US and decided to use Destiny and Call of Duty instead, I don't think any of their studios is capable of making a game that appeals to the US market other than God of War.
U.S more shooter

maxcriden

For me the issue with Little Big Planet, Puppeteer, and Tearaway is that I really don't care for the paper craft or handmade aesthetic of these particular games, despite liking it in other games. Oddly I feel like its handcrafted but not cute or charming in a way handcrafted styles of games often are. I know this is an unpopular or minority opinion, though.

Alo0oy

Banned
Im talking bout budget and you comparing it as comparable to an avarage indie game

Being frank I feel like you are talking nonsense.

How so? Tearaway should actually be cheaper than your typical 15 person game, the game uses dev kits already provided to the main team, the studio also uses an internal engine, so no additional fees for that, there are no publishing or licensing fees either since the publisher is the platform owner.

Basically, the entire budget is the salary of those 15 people and whatever Sony paid to market the game. Unless you think there are other hidden costs?

The new Miku game, unsurprisingly, failed to chart.

Poor Miku.

I didn't even realise that was this week. I was going to say "which Miku game?" until I remembered.

- 6 HATSUNE MIKU: PROJECT MIRAI DX SEGA

That's #6 in 3DS-only games, and no 3DS games charted in top 40.

Also:

- 10 ETRIAN MYSTERY DUNGEON ATLUS SOFTWARE / NIS AMERICA

I have to wonder if NIS have any more success with their Vita/PS3 stuff.

Moobabe

This on the other hand is quite true.

What does this mean? "It was made with no-one in mind"

Pillars was made for people who loved old school CRPGs.

Call of Duty is made for shooting fans.

Tearaway is a game for people who like 3D platformers - and people who have excellent taste, which it turns out, unsurprisingly, very few gamers do.

What was the last Wii U update for UK? Coz while SMM placed well on the chart, raw numbers at 22k doesn't seem impressive to me at. It might have legs I guess.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BmPRT.png

Greece:
July 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (10) PS4 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2015 (KONAMI)
02 (04) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (07) PS4 BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
04 (05) PS3 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2015 - ESSENTIALS (KONAMI)
05 (01) PS3 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
06 (08) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
07 (02) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
08 (03) PS4 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
09 (06) PS3 ΝΒΑ 2Κ15 (TAKE 2)
10 (NE) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS + METAL GEAR SOLID: REVENGEANCE + DEAD ISLAND RIPTIDE PACK
]

So did they release any non-Sony consoles in Greece within the last 10 years?

viHuGi

Banned

Greece is like Portugal, here people only buy Playstation.

Sure some here buy Xbox and stuff but vast majority is Playstation, Ps4 here is already above 100K sales and that is data from May.

It will probably sale around 800K to 1m here (ps2) so 1 out of 10 people will own one.

Sony has pretty tight grip of smaller gaming markets. I mean even here in Finland last gen while DS and Wii sold really well the leading console has always been PS since the original PlayStation launced.

Caronte

Releasing a TV Ad doesn't really mean much. How many times did it air? If they really wanted to market it they should have shown it at E3.

It's the same thing they have been doing with Ratchet and Clank for a while. They relegate them to second-tier games (even below indie games) and then they're surprised when they don't sell.

What does this mean? "It was made with no-one in mind"

Pillars was made for people who loved old school CRPGs.

Call of Duty is made for shooting fans.

Tearaway is a game for people who like 3D platformers - and people who have excellent taste, which it turns out, unsurprisingly, very few gamers do.

It's just a mediocre artsy platformer. It doesn't have anything to offer from a gameplay perspective aside from some gimmicks. Visually it's ok of course. But that's not enough to make it sell.

Or at least that's how every trailer I've seen makes it look. Which brings me back to the poor marketing.

I also don't understand what made them think a game that failed horribly on Vita would somehow find success on PS4, with barely any changes.

EGM1966

Releasing a TV Ad doesn't really mean much. How many times did it air? If they really wanted to market it they should have shown it at E3.

It's the same thing they have been doing with Ratchet and Clank for a while. They relegate them to second-tier games (even below indie games) and then they're surprised when they don't sell.

It's just a mediocre artsy platformer. It doesn't have anything to offer from a gameplay perspective aside from some gimmicks. Visually it's ok of course. But that's not enough to make it sell.

Or at least that's how every trailer I've seen makes it look. Which brings me back to the poor marketing.

I also don't understand what made them think a game that failed horribly on Vita would somehow find success on PS4, with barely any changes.
It's clearly designed with a demographic in mind which is the point. It's not made for nobody - nothing with such a specific design and aesthetic is ever made for nobody.

Now it might turn out the market for the design was small but it's clearly incorrect to say it was designed for nobody. A game like that would be an identikit title that has no distinct personality of its own and doesn't seem to target any particular demographic or play-style.

Tearaway was clearly focused on exactly the same kind of audience LBP was designed for (and I'd say from the look of it MM's new IP is aimed at).

Caronte

It's clearly designed with a demographic in mind which is the point. It's not made for nobody - nothing with such a specific design and aesthetic is ever made for nobody.

Now it might turn out the market for the design was small but it's clearly incorrect to say it was designed for nobody. A game like that would be an identikit title that has no distinct personality of its own and doesn't seem to target any particular demographic or play-style.

Tearaway was clearly focused on exactly the same kind of audience LBP was designed for (and I'd say from the look of it MM's new IP is aimed at).

Tearaway looked more like a technical demo that would show gameplay possibilities thanks to Vita touch screen, microphone and whatever than an actual game with people in mind, that's why I said that.

And no, LBP and Tearaway are way different. LBP main selling point was the level creator, not the artstyle.

I don't think i've ever seen Sony mention being disappointed in the sales of those types of games. I tend to think that Sony understands that cartoony games like these are a tough sell these days, so rather than putting a massive Uncharted-style marketing campaign behind them, they put a much more modest one in place which allows the game to do well under those circumstances. People complained about them not marketing Sly enough, but then it opened with the biggest first month ever for the franchise. So obviously they did something right. Sony are still investing in these types of games, and that's all that really matters.

The actual Tearaway Unfolded sales number shocked me. People saying it wasn't marketed - there was a double page spread in the Metro on Friday. I am tempted but I'm at 97% on the Vita version and have no real desire to start over again despite the remixed features

If you want an indication of how formats are doing relatively this year? Unit sales per format share for Year to date

PS4 35.6%
XO 21.0%
X360 12.9%
WIIU 11.4%
PS3 7.9%
3DS 4.6%
PC 4.0%

Alo0oy

Banned
Since when did Ratchet not sell? The franchise sold over 26 million, those numbers are similar to Singstar and God of War.

Bruno MB

Code:
14 (07) [B]PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (KONAMI)[/B]
15 (09) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
16 (10) PS4 BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
17 (23) PS4 DYING LIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
18 (26) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
19 (NE) [B]PS4 TEARAWAY UNFOLDED (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)[/B]

Last week the PlayStation 3 version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain sold around 5,000 units, Chart-Track tells us that sales dropped by 78% (all versions combined), normally last-gen versions tend to have softer drops, at least for these kind of big releases. To be on the safe side let's say its sales dropped by 65-70%, this would mean that this week it sold around 1,500 - 1,800 units, and Tearaway Unfolded is 5 places below so...

Kill3r7

To be fair, at this point very few avid/hardcore gamers have not heard of Tearaway or were not aware of its release. The game is excellent and the word of mouth has been pretty positive. IMO, it didn't fail because of marketing. The game just doesn't seem to have an audience outside of a few of us. I will admit that Sony did it no favors by having it launch so soon after MGSV or having the Vita version launch on November 20th. Hopefully they'll consider adding it to their PS+ lineup this fall.

Alo0oy

Banned
How many Ratchet and Clank games are there compared to Singstar and GoW...

Mainline titles or including spinoffs?

EDIT: Not that it matters, 26 million is great for a 12 year old franchise, saying the games don't sell is disingenuous.

Top Bottom