• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

thomaser

This has probably already been mentioned, but... I was playing Kirby Superstar Saga Ultra last night, when I met the last boss in The Great Cave Offensive. It's Master Hand! But with a face (brown, big lips, earrings)! I played Kirby SS on the SNES way back, but never connected this boss with Master Hand in the Super Smash-games before. They're very much the same. From obscure boss in platformer to last boss in fighter... strange, but makes sense, since I always thought Master Hand was such a random boss to have in SSB anyway.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
thomaser said:
I always thought Master Hand was such a random boss to have in SSB anyway.
Didn't you ever watch the opening movie? It's just some kid playing with his Nintendo toys.

kai3345

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Didn't you ever watch the opening movie? It's just some kid playing with his Nintendo toys.
ScannersExplodingHead.gif

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
thomaser said:
This has probably already been mentioned, but... I was playing Kirby Superstar Saga Ultra last night, when I met the last boss in The Great Cave Offensive. It's Master Hand! But with a face (brown, big lips, earrings)! I played Kirby SS on the SNES way back, but never connected this boss with Master Hand in the Super Smash-games before. They're very much the same. From obscure boss in platformer to last boss in fighter... strange, but makes sense, since I always thought Master Hand was such a random boss to have in SSB anyway.

Look at the moves in Kirby SS.

They're not too far off from Smash bros. Smash bros is like a fighting game made from KSS.

Eteric Rice

Fuu said:
I got a different impression, Ash not being present and Pikachu alone meeting with the girl makes it seems that he was supposed to die for real at that part of the movie (I doubt they would really do that, of course).

If he died at the end of the movie, how would he have a kid? :p

If we go by Gold/Silver, he became the Pokemon champion. If they had ended the first Pokemon anime there (with Ash and Misty having a kid), they probably could have started a Gold/Silver anime with Ash as the champion, and Misty as an adult with a kid, etc.

Jezan

Zerokku said:

They're not too far off from Smash bros. Smash bros is like a fighting game made from KSS.

And in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, there is a sub-boss that's Master Hand, after eating it you get powers based on Melee's Kirby. (but the Amazing Mirror came after Melee)

GaussTek

This is about Pokémons:

Pokdex2.png
Pokdex1.png
Pokdex3.png

Pokdex4.png
Pokdex5.png
Pokdex6.png

How are they called "Mouse", "Cow", "Bear", "Bull", etc. if real animals don't exist in the Pokémon World?

GaussTek said:
How are they called "Mouse", "Cow", "Bear", "Bull", etc. if real animals doesn't exist in the Pokémon World?
They do and they don't

There's a few pokedex entries and episodes that refer to existing animals and there's some that use traits we know existing animals have and give them to Pokemon (like Miltank milk).

It's basically whatever they want it to be at the moment.

Binabik15

GaussTek said:
This is about Pokémons:

Pokdex2.png
Pokdex1.png
Pokdex3.png

Pokdex4.png
Pokdex5.png
Pokdex6.png

How are they called "Mouse", "Cow", "Bear", "Bull", etc. if real animals don't exist in the Pokémon World?

How can they eat meat without slaughtering PokeymanZ? Who fertilizes the ground without insects and worms? Are there bacteria and germ pokemons? Are there scavenger pokemons, if not, how are the corpses disposed of in nature?

How can he SEE without EYES?! It just doesn´t make sense!

OMG Aero

GaussTek said:
This is about Pokémons:

Pokdex2.png
Pokdex1.png
Pokdex3.png

Pokdex4.png
Pokdex5.png
Pokdex6.png

Real animals might exist in the Pokemon world. They are seen in the cartoon sometimes and some pokedex entries refer to them. Raichu's Firered pokedex data is: Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint.

Kirk

Zerokku said:

It's not all that surprising since the two games were designed by the same guy.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/hknishino/gafahnim_zps0925b6b3.jpg[img]

???[/QUOTE]
:lol

Anyone have a different Nintendo picture to seal this thing?

EtanSivad said:
Yeah, not mindblowing either I guess.
Ok, one last try.
The opening tune in Earthbound when you're entering player names, uses an audio sample from the opening tune of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I discovered that when I was extracting audio samples from the ROM.

Not at all video game related but that tune is actually called 'Liberty Bell' and was composed long before Flying Circus ever aired.

HUELEN10

Guys, I need your help confirming something...

I was just at the Toy Story Double Feature and if you watch Toy Story 2, well that version of it anyways, you will find that before/near the part where Woody is shelved, the SNES that Rex was playing on is YELLOW! I sadly do not own a copy of Toy Story 2, so can anyone confirm the color of the SNES in the original film in this scene?

If they did what I think they did, then that's hilarious. :lol

Mak

A lot of stuff in here is great, never realized the Super Mario Bros. 3 was a play. Btw, there are statues of Agahnim all over the Great Pyramid in the Dark World.
I used to search for stuff like this in Zelda. (Still do)

Zelda: Four Sword Adventures probably takes place after A Link to the Past... and maybe before The Legend of Zelda.
http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/?p=39

easternpalacealttp.jpg
easternpalacefsat.jpg

easternhyrulet.jpg
eastpillars.jpg

hebrahillt.jpg
losthills.jpg

Link's Awakening as a sequel to A Link to the Past has several references, some more obscure.

alttpcatfish.gif
lacatfishmaw.gif

The shrine where a bit of the game's plot is revealed has the appearence of the Eastern Place from ALttP. Probably left over from the original preview shown in Nintendo Power. Inside you fight an Armos Knight, like the six you fight in ALttP. You also fight the Moldworm, and Lanmola bosses from ALttP at various points.
faceshrinela.gif

The Level 2 sword is shaped like the Master Sword
lv2sword3.gif

"Luigi" was also in Link's Awakening as the guy on top of Tal Tal Heights with the chickens.
luigicameo3.gif

And a cool Zelda 2 reference in Ocarina of Time. When you defeat the 4 poes in the Forest Temple, you gain access to an elevator...
elevatorride2.jpg
z2elevator.png

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
HUELEN10 said:
Guys, I need your help confirming something...

I was just at the Toy Story Double Feature and if you watch Toy Story 2, well that version of it anyways, you will find that before/near the part where Woody is shelved, the SNES that Rex was playing on is YELLOW! I sadly do not own a copy of Toy Story 2, so can anyone confirm the color of the SNES in the original film in this scene?

If they did what I think they did, then that's hilarious. :lol
fnwora.jpg

From the DVD. Looks gray to me.

HUELEN10

VideoMan said:
What version is that image from? I am trying to go back as far as I can, like original VHS, "Toy Story 2-pack" DVD release. Who knows if they could have edited future releases, I mean this was the case for "Knick Knack" after all. Still if it's always been like that, I guess I got debunked, it's always been yellow!

Thanks for the pic!

That picture most definitely has the yellow SNES. See the cart slot and around it?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Not to rain on your parade, but the tint to it matches the ambient lighting across the rest of the window sill/desk - I think it's just sunlight, rather than actual yellowing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I haven't seen Toy Story 2.... there's a SNES in it?? Yellow or not, mind blown!!!

HUELEN10

alistairw said:
Not to rain on your parade, but the tint to it matches the ambient lighting across the rest of the window sill/desk - I think it's just sunlight, rather than actual yellowing.
If it were merely ambient lighting, how would that explain the middle gray part?
34oewix.jpg

BocoDragon

HUELEN10 said:
Now we need to know if the SNES was always yellow. Does anyone have a VHS copy of Toy Story 2?
Toy Story 2 came out in 1999 and I believe some SNESs were already yellow at that point.... but who knows?

BocoDragon

I don't know if this one will blow any minds.... I knew this pretty much upon release.. but if you're like me you haven't thought about it in years! Hopefully it's new to someone.

The first 2 Sonic games basically had you smashing open computer monitors for your powerups... it would have been pretty "tech" in 1991:

sonic1monitor.gif

But Sonic 3 came at a time when they needed to freshen up the Sonic formula... so they updated Sonic's sprite to be a little more 3D... they updated the staple music for invincibility, level complete, etc... and they updated the power up monitors:

sonic3monitor.gif

Now the power up monitors are basically early-to-mid 90s Apple Macintoshes! Probably based upon the Macintosh Color Classic or Macintosh LC. The little dot on them is probably supposed to be an Apple logo!

Macintosh Color Classic
maccolorclassic2.jpg
maccolorclassic.jpg

Macintosh LC
macintoshLC.jpg

If Project Needlemouse has any sense of continuity.. Sonic should bust open widescreen LCD monitors for power ups!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dude, that SNES is grey. you're over-thinking it.

BocoDragon

Rez said:
dude, that SNES is grey. you're over-thinking it.
It doesn't look grey to me... the plastic around the cart slot is a different color.. a trademark of the infamous yellowed SNES!

I don't think it means Pixar are uber-game nerds or anything (although pioneering computer animators... they probably are game nerds!)... it's just that the SNES they used for reference may have been yellowed. It would have been a sign of elite realism to render it as accurately as possible.

KevinCow

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:

Imagine if your toys came to life and just started beating the shit out of your hand when you were a kid.

HUELEN10

BocoDragon said:
It doesn't look grey to me... the plastic around the cart slot is a different color.. a trademark of the infamous yellowed SNES!

I don't think it means Pixar are uber-game nerds or anything (although pioneering computer animators... they probably are game nerds!)... it's just that the SNES they used for reference may have been yellowed. It would have been a sign of elite realism to render it as accurately as possible.
If that is true, then that makes it even more awesome! Thanks to this, yet ANOTHER question arises! How widespread was yellowing in SNES units prior to 1999?

BocoDragon

HUELEN10 said:
If that is true, then that makes it even more awesome! Thanks to this, yet ANOTHER question arises! How widespread was yellowing in SNES units prior to 1999?
I seem to remember this by that time... I was working on a SNES-only website in 1999 (great design to that page! I never launched it online :( ), and SNES was already old, believe it or not... this was about the time people started going back into their basements in nostalgic fervor and discovering the "yellow menace" had taken hold of their SNES. I can't say for certain but I believe it was already occurring.

It generally only happened to North American SNES's by the way. I consider it a curse for Nintendo redesigning the system from the nice Super Famicom design that Europe got as well.

I'm glad I rebought my SNES in about 2005, after the phenomenon... only certain units were affected (the dreaded "Mexican production plant" with sawdust debris in the air that got into the plastic, letting oxygen in small pores to yellow it over time, so the legend goes), and I bought one with pristine grey that should hopefully never turn yellow. I'm looking at it right now. Beautiful :D

EDIT: The other explanation is that it IS just lighting, and the reason for the different colors is just their rendering software calculating that the cart slot area should have different lighting... even if in real life a solidly-colored SNES probably wouldn't have such a difference between plastic sections.

HUELEN10

BocoDragon said:
I seem to remember this by that time... I was working on a SNES-only website in 1999 (great design to that page! I never launched it online :( ), and SNES was already old, believe it or not... this was about the time people started going back into their basements in nostalgic fervor and discovering the "yellow menace" had taken hold of their SNES. I can't say for certain but I believe it was already occurring.

It generally only happened to North American SNES's by the way. I consider it a curse for Nintendo redesigning the system from the nice Super Famicom design that Europe got as well.

I'm glad I rebought my SNES in about 2005, after the phenomenon... only certain units were affected (the dreaded "Mexican production plant" with sawdust debris in the air that got into the plastic, letting oxygen in small pores to yellow it over time, so the legend goes), and I bought one with pristine grey that should hopefully never turn yellow. I'm looking at it right now. Beautiful :D

EDIT: The other explanation is that it IS just lighting, and the reason for the different colors is just their rendering software calculating that the cart slot area should have different lighting... even if in real life a solidly-colored SNES probably wouldn't have such a difference between plastic sections.
I see, I thank you for all your insight! Also bumping your mind-blowing find for this page!
BocoDragon said:
I don't know if this one will blow any minds.... I knew this pretty much upon release.. but if you're like me you haven't thought about it in years! Hopefully it's new to someone.

The first 2 Sonic games basically had you smashing open computer monitors for your powerups... it would have been pretty "tech" in 1991:

sonic1monitor.gif

But Sonic 3 came at a time when they needed to freshen up the Sonic formula... so they updated Sonic's sprite to be a little more 3D... they updated the staple music for invincibility, level complete, etc... and they updated the power up monitors:

sonic3monitor.gif

Now the power up monitors are basically early-to-mid 90s Apple Macintoshes! Probably based upon the Macintosh Color Classic or Macintosh LC. The little dot on them is probably supposed to be an Apple logo!

Macintosh Color Classic
maccolorclassic2.jpg
maccolorclassic.jpg

Macintosh LC
macintoshLC.jpg

If Project Needlemouse has any sense of continuity.. Sonic should bust open widescreen LCD monitors for power ups!

Ydahs

Mak said:
A lot of stuff in here is great, never realized the Super Mario Bros. 3 was a play. Btw, there are statues of Agahnim all over the Great Pyramid in the Dark World.
I used to search for stuff like this in Zelda. (Still do)

Zelda: Four Sword Adventures probably takes place after A Link to the Past... and maybe before The Legend of Zelda.
http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/?p=39

http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/easternpalacealttp.jpg[/img ] [ img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/easternpalacefsat.jpg[/ img]

[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/easternhyrulet.jpg[/img ] [img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/eastpillars.jpg[/img ]

[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/hebrahillt.jpg[/im g] [img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/fourswordsadv/losthills.jpg[/im g]

Link's Awakening as a sequel to A Link to the Past has several references, some more obscure.

[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/la/alttpcatfish.gif[/img ] [img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/la/lacatfishmaw.gif[/img ]

The shrine where a bit of the game's plot is revealed has the appearence of the Eastern Place from ALttP. Probably left over from the original preview shown in Nintendo Power. Inside you fight an Armos Knight, like the six you fight in ALttP. You also fight the Moldworm, and Lanmola bosses from ALttP at various points.
[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/la/faceshrinela.gif[/i mg]

The Level 2 sword is shaped like the Master Sword
[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/la/lv2sword3.gif[/i mg]

"Luigi" was also in Link's Awakening as the guy on top of Tal Tal Heights with the chickens.
[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/la/luigicameo3.gif[/ img]

And a cool Zelda 2 reference in Ocarina of Time. When you defeat the 4 poes in the Forest Temple, you gain access to an elevator...
[img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/oot/elevatorride2.jpg[/ img] [img]http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/oot/z2elevator.png[/i mg][/QUOTE]
Great post. I love posts like this.

BocoDragon said:
Some people might take this the wrong way so to state the obvious; the European and Japanese design doesn't have immunity to the problem:
yellowestsnes.jpg

It is just as bad when it does show up.
Or is this just the ambient yellow lighting causing an optical illusion

OMG Aero

KevinCow said:
Imagine if your toys came to life and just started beating the shit out of your hand when you were a kid.
Then my childhood would be awesome.
Also holy crap at the Sonic monitor thing.

Top Bottom