• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
HUELEN10 said:
I read it on TMK years ago. Why 160 game seconds though? Any significance in that number?
It looks more like 100 Mario seconds in the video. I think 100 Mario seconds is equal to a real minute.

HUELEN10

Teetris said:
Godamn, how the hell would you even come up with that
Easy!
r72j9z.jpg

He's just that awesome.

Psykotik

Fuu said:
Mei Ling - Kim Mai Guest (Kim Nguyen)

i was absolutely SHOCKED when i found out that Kim Mai Guest was actually the bitchy boss commander chick in the FMV for warhawk on the PS1

drizzle said:
Heavier, more memory chips
More memory chips, more content
more content, takes longer to finish.

It's not an exact science, but it's a pretty good guess.

No. Surely not. More memory could mean anything - more sound, more textures, anything. It's got nothing to do with the length of the game.

That's like an argument I used to have with a friend about the Smackdown games on the PS2. He disliked that the games were getting slower over time - the pace of them, character movement etc, and tried to argue with me that this was because they added more wrestlers to the roster. "There's less memory for speed!" he said. Pillock.

Sixfortyfive

Teetris said:
Nah I meant the player, we've seen wackier stuff from him :lol
I can actually remember seeing the chomp break free once a long time ago, but I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this video.

On that same stage, there's a pipe in the sky that takes you to a secret area, so I spent some time at the very beginning on the short stretch of flat ground trying to build up enough speed to be able to fly. I kept fucking it up though, and after a minute the chomp broke free. I had no idea why it happened at the time, though.

Trakdown said:
:lol :lol

I love stuff like this, like in OutRun, if you just stay put at the starting line, the flag guy will try to coax you into moving and eventually, he'll throw down his flag and walk away in disgust.

Or like Sonic CD's 3 Minute Suicide.

One of my favorites is in Sky Sanctuary of Sonic & Knuckles, playing as Sonic or Tails. Once Knuckles jumps onto the switch, he stays there looking tired. Instead of moving on, if you duck down beside him, he glares at you, then once you stand up he points you on to the rest of the stage.

HUELEN10

Trakdown said:

I love stuff like this, like in OutRun, if you just stay put at the starting line, the flag guy will try to coax you into moving and eventually, he'll throw down his flag and walk away in disgust.
Wait WHAT?!?!? Mind blown! Does this also work in other OutRun games?

Cohsae

Trakdown said:

WHHHAAAAAAT!?
First mind-blowing thing in a while for me.

jaypah

OnPoint said:
I think the chain-chomp thing was in the strategy guide. I know I read it somewhere.

yup. also on Super Mario Bros. 1 on the level 5-2 you can wait around on the blocks for a while and the Hammer Bro. in the pic below will just get bored and walk under you and off of the left side of the screen. it takes about 40 seconds or so. we found this out back when it had just came out for the NES because my cousin was too chicken shit to make a move and eventually the Hammer Brother just walked off. blew our young fragile minds.

smb.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kulock said:
Or like Sonic CD's 3 Minute Suicide.

One of my favorites is in Sky Sanctuary of Sonic & Knuckles, playing as Sonic or Tails. Once Knuckles jumps onto the switch, he stays there looking tired. Instead of moving on, if you duck down beside him, he glares at you, then once you stand up he points you on to the rest of the stage.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles did such an awesome job at storytelling, way before long-ass cutscenes and QTEs took over our games.

HUELEN10

Might as well break another Sega easter egg. In Sonic Rush, get Sonic to the lower screen in a level, and touch him. He will spin his arm in a "let's go" sorta way. If you do this with Blaze, she'll jump up in the air like a fraidy cat and then complain and turn her back on you.

Sixfortyfive

Lots of arcade games seem to have time-sensitive easter eggs.

I ran out of quarters in the middle of The Simpsons arcade once, so I just got to a safe point where there were no enemies left on screen and ran to the change machine to get more. By the time I got back to the cabinet, the glove/hand in the top right corner that tells you to HURRY UP and advance to the next area had actually come down and flicked Lisa to death because she was stationary for too long.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sixfortyfive said:
Lots of arcade games seem to have time-sensitive easter eggs.

I ran out of quarters in the middle of The Simpsons arcade once, so I just got to a safe point where there were no enemies left on screen and ran to the change machine to get more. By the time I got back to the cabinet, the glove/hand in the top right corner that tells you to HURRY UP and advance to the next area had actually come down and flicked Lisa to death because she was stationary for too long.
I knew that game was special.

Kirk

Gromph said:

Ho-lee shit. I've never seen that one. I'm trying to imagine a world where games were actually that hard.

To all those who are somehow trying to make fun of whoever played that run through the level, two things: it was probably the guy who made the level, and it was probably played "tool assisted" with save states and slow motion.

jaypah

jaypah said:
on Super Mario Bros. 1 on the level 5-2 you can wait around on the blocks for a while and the Hammer Bro. in the pic below will just get bored and walk under you and off of the left side of the screen. it takes about 40 seconds or so. we found this out back when it had just came out for the NES because my cousin was too chicken shit to make a move and eventually the Hammer Brother just walked off. blew our young fragile minds.

smb.jpg

my post from the previous page. but now i'm posting to ask if anyone knows why this is? and does anyone know if it applies to every Hammer Bro. encounter in the game or just that one?

Sixfortyfive

jaypah said:
my post from the previous page. but now i'm posting to ask if anyone knows why this is? and does anyone know if it applies to every Hammer Bro. encounter in the game or just that one?
This always seemed kind of random to me. Sometimes Hammer Bros would run forward. Sometimes they would just jump up and down. I never figured out a pattern.

Kulock said:

My mind was blown until I watched the video. I never ducked and Knuckles would do it anyway, so I'm not sure why (in the video) you had to duck or why that person particularly thinks that. Though I could be wrong. Sonic got boring to watch stand still.

jaypah

Sixfortyfive said:
This always seemed kind of random to me. Sometimes Hammer Bros would run forward. Sometimes they would just jump up and down. I never figured out a pattern.

that particular one will dance back and forth until it reaches it designated time and then it will walk forward. same amount of time, every single time. seemed so arbitrary that he'd be the only one. maybe i'll play some SMB later and see if others do it in the same amount of time too.

Top Bottom