• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

AshMcCool

In "Phoenix Wright: Justice For All" a clown is named Lawrence "Moe" Curls. You know, like the Three Stooges(Larry,Moe,Curly). The whole Phoenix Wright-Series is of course full of such cultural references. Would be nice if someone would collect them all someday.

Starwolf_UK said:
Some people might take this the wrong way so to state the obvious; the European and Japanese design doesn't have immunity to the problem:
yellowestsnes.jpg

It is just as bad when it does show up.
Or is this just the ambient yellow lighting causing an optical illusion
What the, I know they can go yellow but THAT looks like it was in a smokers home by someone who chain smoked 40 a day :lol

HUELEN10 said:
If it were merely ambient lighting, how would that explain the middle gray part?
34oewix.jpg
It also has different colour buttons! You ever think that maybe they kept it slightly different to not 100% copy a snes? as someone said you are over thinking it completely.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Starwolf_UK said:
Some people might take this the wrong way so to state the obvious; the European and Japanese design doesn't have immunity to the problem:
yellowestsnes.jpg

Ohhh... Then consider the curse for Nintendo of America's meddling spread 'round the world, even extending to the beloved Original Design.

Does anyone know what the idea behind the redesign of the US SNES was? I was downright shocked when I saw one online for the first time, it looked so... bland down to the purple/grey buttons on the controllers. Up to that point, I only knew the European SNES which, as I learned later on, looks just like the Super Famicom.

Jezan

KevinCow said:
Imagine if your toys came to life and just started beating the shit out of your hand when you were a kid.

Smash is just a kid playing with toys, the only enemy he could think of was his hand, since the hand is all powerful , all heroes had to join.

They are alive cause the kid imagines it. (at least in 64, now, the explanation with trophies could be similar)

Articate

Banned
ElFly said:
I am not sure if Miyamoto should be credited for this, but I realized that the guys at Nintendo were genius when I reached Ganon's Tower in aLttP.

From the moment you get the pegasus boots, you notice something weird. Everytime you run and hit and obstacle, you bounce back a little. It doesn't really damage you, but it looks like you were hit. It's kind of annoying, but you deal.

BUT, in the very last dungeon, there is a platform that you can only reach by abusing the bounce from the boots. Every other method that the game has trained you to use (hookshot, the staff that makes blocks) to jump over pits fails.

Zelda_ALttP_bounce_back.png

When I realized this, my mind was blown. The bounce back was useless through the whole game, yet, you can use it there to reach a couple of extra faeries.

Holy crap. I've noticed that one so many times, and I even used hookshot to check if it was actually a door (it makes a different sound when hitting a bombable door and not) and even dived into the ROM to check the room and saw that there actually was something behind there. Now I know how to reach it!

Dra-Q

Banned
The voice-actress of Lei Fang in the Dead or Alive series also dupped Ivy in Soul Calibur, Ling Xiaoyu in Tekken and Pan in Virtua Fighter. Mind blown :lol

ITA84

magicalsoundshower said:
I was downright shocked when I saw one online for the first time, it looked so... bland down to the purple/grey buttons on the controllers. Up to that point, I only knew the European SNES which, as I learned later on, looks just like the Super Famicom.

Same here, except that the second SNES controller I got was a US one, which I only found out recently online (and that kind of blew my mind). At least US controllers were compatible with the EU SNES...

thomaser

Articate said:
Holy crap. I've noticed that one so many times, and I even used hookshot to check if it was actually a door (it makes a different sound when hitting a bombable door and not) and even dived into the ROM to check the room and saw that there actually was something behind there. Now I know how to reach it!

I was so stumped by that place when I played through the game... I spent hours going through every single room in the whole game trying to find everything, and that crack in the wall was the very last secret place I found. When I finally did it, it was purely by accident. One of those "why didn't I think of THAT before?"-moments, which the Zelda-games are always so full of.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Red Scarlet said:
I always dashed into stuff, so I found that room the first time..it's not very excting, just a room with fairies.
Should've been the Chris Houlihan room.

(Is it me or is Houhlian quite similar to HYLIAN? Hmmm!)

Roto13

Starwolf_UK said:
yellowestsnes.jpg

I like how the area around the 1st controller port is in better shape than the area around the 2nd controller port, likely because there was usually a controller plugged into it. :p

Articate

Banned
secretroom.png

So I've known what's in there. I really just assumed it was a "haha, I'm only here to taunt you" room or something. My life might be complete.

BocoDragon

magicalsoundshower said:
Does anyone know what the idea behind the redesign of the US SNES was? I was downright shocked when I saw one online for the first time, it looked so... bland down to the purple/grey buttons on the controllers. Up to that point, I only knew the European SNES which, as I learned later on, looks just like the Super Famicom.
It was wierd from the US/Canada side too.. I knew the Super Famicom was different.. But it's a Famicom, of course it's different. To learn that there was a different "Super Nintendo" over there that looked like the Super Fami... Strange.

Often euroland seemed to get the original Japanese vision of a console while North America got some modification... The Mega Drive name is another example. These days as an import gamer I appreciate all the various names and designs for what they are... Though it is simpler ever since Playstation and N64 kept their designs and logos worldwide.

North America almost had "Nintendo Ultra 64", with a more tech looking western logo.

Speaking of ALTTP in,the beggining of the game theres a bombable wall in the tunnel behind the throne,but after you get the bombs you can´t go back there,someone know whats behind that door ?

Mike M

Nick N
Ehhhh, I think it's a stretch to call the SNES yellowed in that frame. To me it just looks like they didn't get the colors right or maybe had to change them so it wasn't an exact copy or something.

BocoDragon

Mike M said:
Ehhhh, I think it's a stretch to call the SNES yellowed in that frame. To me it just looks like they didn't get the colors right or maybe had to change them so it wasn't an exact copy or something.
Come on... with something that close it's not like they were trying to sneak it past Nintendo or something.. that's an f-in North American SNES... no doubt about it! Whether its yellow or not.. the debate rages on! :lol

jaxword

Mike M said:

I don't really care either way, but it looks to me they deliberately made the center pieces darker.

There could be an unrelated reason and it's coincidence that it matches the yellow SNES, but I doubt it, especially since Toy Story graphics nerds were at the perfect age to have grown up on SNES.

Articate

Banned
Blackbird| said:
Speaking of ALTTP in,the beggining of the game theres a bombable wall in the tunnel behind the throne,but after you get the bombs you can´t go back there,someone know whats behind that door ?

You can drop into the place where those doors are
via a tomb in the cemetery.
Also, you can dash into those very cracked bombable walls to break them open.

Cheerilee

magicalsoundshower said:
NOA thought the original Famicom looked too much like a "toy" (which was Yamauchi's intent) and wanted to get away from the Atari image, so they hired their own designer to redesign the NES and make it look more like a piece of modern electronics (a VCR).

For the SNES, I think NOA thought the SFC was too plain looking or something, so they hired a designer again, and I think I remember hearing that NOA thought the SNES looked "stronger" and more beefy than the Super Famicom.

For the N64, Yamauchi spent big bucks on a designer to make sure that both sides were happy, so they could save money in the long run by using the same design on both sides of the Pacific.

For the Cube, I think they just let Miyamoto tell them what to do (purple lunchbox), and Wii was Iwata (what would Apple do?).

not really been following the thread so this has most probably been mentioned more than a few times already.

David Hayter as we all know did the voice acting for Solid Snake in the original MGS on PS1 and is credited for it all through the game.

Turn to the last page in the manual however and you will see the VO is credited to Sean Barker:

2ptqvc4.jpg

I remember reading about this in a magazine, apparently Sean Barker is an alias David uses on smaller projects (it was also the name of the main character Hayter played in Guyver). According to the magazine he intended to use the Sean Barker name for MGS until he realised how big it was going to be and decided to use his real name - at this point the game manual had been finalised and the correction was never made.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
not really been following the thread so this has most probably been mentioned more than a few times already.

David Hayter as we all know did the voice acting for Solid Snake in the original MGS on PS1 and is credited for it all through the game.

Turn to the last page in the manual however and you will see the VO is credited to Sean Barker:

2ptqvc4.jpg

I remember reading about this in a magazine, apparently Sean Barker is an alias David uses on smaller projects (it was also the name of the main character Hayter played in Guyver). According to the magazine he intended to use the Sean Barker name for MGS until he realised how big it was going to be and decided to use his real name - at this point the game manual had been finalised and the correction was never made.
From what I remember, several other ones there are also alias'

2ptqvc4.jpg

Cam Clarke also used an alias, in his case taken from Jimmy Flinders, a character he played in the 70's (according to wikipedia)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ptqvc4.jpg

On that part of the page you posted, only the VA for Psycho Mantis is listed with his real name.

Solid Snake - David Hayter (Sean Barker)
Liquid Snake - Cam Clarke (James Flinders)
Meryl Silverburgh - Debi Mae West (Mae Zalder)
Naomi Hunter - Jennifer Hale (Carren Learning)
Hal Emmerich - Christopher Randolph (Christopher Fritz)
Roy Campbell - Paul Eiding (Paul Otis)
Mei Ling - Kim Mai Guest (Kim Nguyen)
Ninja - Greg Eagles (George Byrd)
Nastasha Romanenko- Renee Raudman (Renee Collette)
Revolver Ocelot - Patric Zimmerman (Patric Laine)
Vulcan Raven - Peter Lurie (Chuck Farley)
Psycho Mantis- Doug Stone

Espada

Hmm, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already but Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit are Pixie, Elf and Sprite. And, IIRC, they're designs are based on the Three Wise Monkeys (Speak/Hear/See No Evil).

By the way, did you know that Arngrim's voice in Valkyrie profile comes from a woman named Maddie Blaustein? She provided the voices of Lezard and Lawfer as well.
And yes, she is a relative to Jeremy Blaustein, translator of Metal Gear Solid.

By checking wikipedia, I learned she died in December of last year.

OMG Aero

Hikash Winzalf said:
By the way, did you know that Arngrim's voice in Valkyrie profile comes from a woman named Maddie Blaustein? She provided the voices of Lezard and Lawfer as well.
And yes, she is a relative to Jeremy Blaustein, translator of Metal Gear Solid.

By checking wikipedia, I learned she died in December of last year.
Would that be the same Maddie Blaustein who was Meowth in Pokemon?

LakeEarth

Red Scarlet said:
I always dashed into stuff, so I found that room the first time..it's not very excting, just a room with fairies.
I finally figured this secret out after a dozen playthroughs, a sudden realization on how to get across, pure joy when it worked, and then.... hey, some coins and a couple of fairies... great!

Top Bottom