• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin & MOTHER F**KING Punishment 2 is only 30 MOTHER F**KING DAYS AWAY

Tenbatsu

From 1UP
Not much has been said about Sin & Punishment 2 ever since Nintendo first revealed it at a press event late last year. The game's almost done, though -- hitting Wii shelves October 29 in Japan -- and as the folks at Nintendo and developer Treasure put it, it's everything you liked about the original, amplified.

The original Nintendo 64 Sin & Punishment had a pretty open ending storywise, but players have had to wait nine years for a sequel to come out. "It's not that we particularly had a sequel in mind from the beginning," Treasure head Masato Maegawa told Famitsu magazine this week. "The idea behind that project was basically to make a game that used the left-hand position on the Nintendo 64 controller, since not too many other games did that. When the Wii came out, we felt like we just had to tackle it again -- it's not like we've been sitting on this idea for nine years, but the simplest reason for this sequel is 'because the Wii came out.'"

The basic idea is the same as before -- it's an on-rails shooter, with your character using guns and swords to dispatch enemies and stay alive. The main character this time around is Isa Jo, son of Saki and Airan from the previous game; he's been sent to an alternate version of Earth in order to kill an amnesiac girl named Kachi, but the two wind up working together to defeat a common menace.

If Treasure is telling the truth, you can expect a lot more depth to this game than what we saw with the N64 Sin & Punishment. "We concepted out this game as an arcade-like title, but if you made a game this long for the arcades, the operators would kill us," Maegawa joked. "It's arcade-style, yes, but in terms of volume, it's a different story." Hitoshi Yamagami, project director at Nintendo, agreed: "You can't really compare the number of stages as they're all different sizes, but in terms of playtime it's easily twice the size [of the original]."

Size isn't the only innovation here, though -- the two playable characters also have a variety of new moves. "You used to basically stick to the ground, but you'll be able to move in the air now as well," said director Atsutomo Nakagawa. "There are two player characters now, too, and to make that more enjoyable they have different skills in terms of how their charged shots and lock-on systems work."

This being a Treasure title, Sin & Punishment 2 will also have a variety of difficulty levels, from an Easy mode that allows most people to reach the end of the game to a Hard setting that Yamagami says "is for chosen ones only." Ooooh.

The US version of Sin & Punishment 2 is tentatively due out in the first quarter of 2010.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176363

TWICE THE MOTHER FUCKING SIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Akai

Twice the length? Hot!

The main character this time around is Isa Jo, son of Saki and Airan from the previous game

Taking mum's name? Not important in the slightest, but interesting none-the-less...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Nakagawa is directing? Curious...

The first game was a little over an hour long IIRC (it's been a while). Two hours is pushing it, but if it's all good I can't complain.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AceBandage said:
Omm nom nom.

I still don't get why this is a 2010 release for NA.
I mean, it can't be because of translation...

2 games in 3 months is really pushing it for NoA.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AceBandage said:
Omm nom nom.

I still don't get why this is a 2010 release for NA.
I mean, it can't be because of translation...
It took them 8 years to translate the first Sin and Punishment, we should feel lucky we are getting it so soon!

This being a Treasure title, Sin & Punishment 2 will also have a variety of difficulty levels, from an Easy mode that allows most people to reach the end of the game to a Hard setting that Yamagami says "is for chosen ones only." Ooooh.

Oh crud, I can't even beat hard mode on the original Sin & Punishment :lol

hatchx

Banned
Drkirby said:
It took them 8 years to translate the first Sin and Punishment, we should feel lucky we are getting it so soon!

Seriously. I never thought I'd see this franchise resurrected on Virtual Console let alone a full-blown sequel.

Hiltz

Glad to hear that the sequel will be much longer than the original game.

I wonder if the first villain will return in the sequel.

Tain

"We concepted out this game as an arcade-like title, but if you made a game this long for the arcades, the operators would kill us," Maegawa joked. "It's arcade-style, yes, but in terms of volume, it's a different story." Hitoshi Yamagami, project director at Nintendo, agreed: "You can't really compare the number of stages as they're all different sizes, but in terms of playtime it's easily twice the size [of the original]."

It's funny that Maegawa jokes about it, because that's one of the clear flaws shared by Radiant Silvergun and Gradius V: they're too damn long.

I'm still a little interested (haven't given the original proper play time), but this being 2x the length of the original doesn't bode super well for me.

Daigoro

Tain said:
It's funny that Maegawa jokes about it, because that's one of the clear flaws shared by Radiant Silvergun and Gradius V: they're too damn long.

I'm still a little interested (haven't given the original proper play time), but this being 2x the length of the original doesn't bode super well for me.

what? dude the original is an absolute classic. you need to get on that.

agreed about the rest of what you wrote.

Daigoro said:
bah.

MEH.

Twice the length is good! 2 hoursish is perfect for this kind of game. The original finished too quickly and you wouldn't really want an arcade style game to be any longer than 2 hours (I'm looking at you HOTDOverkill and REUC!)

Shots look very nice (Quality of the pictures is awful though!) and I'm glad they changed the HUD, I didn't really like the old one!

GhostSeed

The graphics have improved quite a bit since E3.

Old

2yxhw7l.jpg

New

2ag7zg1.jpg

The same thing happened with new super mario bros wii,i think that every video showed by nintendo in e3 is from beta versions of the games,waiting from new monado images

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Twice the length is good! 2 hoursish is perfect for this kind of game. The original finished too quickly and you wouldn't really want an arcade style game to be any longer than 2 hours (I'm looking at you HOTDOverkill and REUC!)
It really depends on how much padding there is. If the game is 1 hour of awesome plus 1 hour of "meh," then it would seriously hurt its replayability. Two hours is a long time to dedicate to a score attack type of game, and it runs the risk of dragging its feet. Ikaruga and Alien Soldier are about 30 and 45 minutes long respectively, but length is the least of their issues.

The sort of people who think the first game is too short are probably the same people who think your typical 12-hour action game campaign is also too short and would never bother to replay them much in the first place for any reason. There's no point in appeasing those types. 2 hours won't satisfy them either.

Tain said:
Yeah, I'm planning on it. Classic controller is the better choice than the GC pad, right?
N64 > CC Pro > CC > GCN

Squishy trigger buttons are a pain in the ass for this game.

vag 2.0

twice the length doesn't sound good; otherwise hype and will totally try and find my sensor bar and cables for the jp release

nightez

Banned
What's the age rating for this game? The original was one of Nintendo's first ever mature themed games for an adult audience.

nightez

Banned
Hiltz said:
The graphics do look pretty ugly especially the freaky looking human character models. The original game's art style has a dark edge to it while than the sequel appears to have a soft and bright look to it.
agreed!

Razien

Banned
CC all the way. Still, N64 controller if you can: it is a million times better, I assure you.

Blackbird| said:
The same thing happened with new super mario bros wii,i think that every video showed by nintendo in e3 is from beta versions of the games,waiting from new monado images

I want to see more Cosmic Walker, personally. Wasn't it supposed to be an 2009 title? How could Nintendo delay almost ALL games shown at last year's October conference?

Razien said:
CC all the way. Still, N64 controller if you can: it is a million times better, I assure you.

I want to see more Cosmic Walker, personally. Wasn't it supposed to be an 2009 title? How could Nintendo delay almost ALL games shown at last year's October conference?

Easy. They're Nintendo.

Prax

Mmmm.. looks fun and Starfoxy--which reminds me of how much they need to make a proper Stafox ofr consoles! X|

I like how Kachi looks.. Isa, your shorts aren't doing it for me, man!

Top Bottom