• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

Frog-fu

Banned
On the latest Podcast Unlocked, Phil Spencer revealed that Sea of Thieves has been in the works for quite some time longer than most people were aware. Apparently, it was in a playable state when Phil Harris was still at Microsoft.

Pretty cray.

He also seemed to intimate it being a co-op experience similar to Destiny in some fashion, or at least that was the impression I got.

Granjinha

On the latest Podcast Unlocked, Phil Spencer revealed that Sea of Thieves has been in the works for quite some time longer than most people were aware. Apparently, it was in a playable state when Phil Harris was still at Microsoft.

Pretty cray.

He also seemed to intimate it being a co-op experience similar to Destiny in some fashion, or at least that was the impression I got.

Any link for that?

Leflus

Pretty cray.

That doesn't really tell us much. Phil Harrison left Microsoft three months before Rare unveiled Sea of Thieves.

Pretty cray.

Wouldn't surprise me that he wants a Destiny type of game exclusive to Xbox. Phil is a huge Destiny fan.

Frog-fu

Banned
That doesn't really tell us much. Phil Harrison left Microsoft three months before Rare unveiled Sea of Thieves.

Not a whole lot, but being in a playable state for execs to play test would suggest that game was in active development a while before the E3 announcement. I think most of us were under the impression it was a really early announcement to show people Rare was finally working on a non-Kinect title and didn't expect it until mid~late 2017. This could very well be a late 2016 title still.

Thanks! Really like his interviews.

You're welcome. You should subscribe to their podcast if you can. They sometimes get Phil and other devs/execs on. For their 200th upload they got the OG Xbox designer Seamus Blackley, Peter Moore and Phil Spencer on to talk about the platform at its inception, how it evolved and so on.

Wouldn't surprise me that he wants a Destiny type of game exclusive to Xbox. Phil is a huge Destiny fan.

Yup. Phil is pretty much addicted to that game and always mentions it and his love for co-op games.

Granjinha

You're welcome. You should subscribe to their podcast if you can. They sometimes get Phil and other devs/execs on. For their 200th upload they got the OG Xbox designer Seamus Blackley, Peter Moore and Phil Spencer on to talk about the platform at its inception, how it evolved and so on.

Oh, i saw that one. It was absolutely amazing to see those people talking and have that kind of insight.

Sydle

That was a great Spencer interview. He still won't open up about FFXVI, but everything else was a good listen.

Pretty cray.

I think Rare completed their Game Jam in April or May 2014, shortly after the release of Kinect Sports Rivals and they decided what to work on then.

SoT was the game Spencer got to play in November 2014. He didn't know what they were working on before that, but some other members of the Xbox team had already seen it. Gregg Mayles got to present it to Phil, too.

IIRC, after his departure and before it was revealed, Harrison said Rare's upcoming game was one of his favorite projects ever.

If he knew how Destiny would turn out, I guarentee Bungie would still be at Xbox. Spencer is addicted to that game.

Doubtful. I think Spencer was only over the EMEA studios at that time, so he had nothing to do with Bungie.

_Clash_

Anyone see this?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rares-sea-of-thieves-wont-be-seen-again-until-2016/1100-6431936/

Xbox executive Kudo Tsunodo, who is working on HoloLense, among other projects at Microsoft, previously said Sea of Thieves is "going to be the best game that Rare has ever made," before elaborating on the user-generated element of the game.

"I think with Sea of Thieves, what you're really going to see as you find out more about the game is that it's also about allowing people to create their own gaming memories" he said. "It's about enabling people to create their own stories through limitless possibilities, and I think that's what Rare has always done a great job of historically; it is great at creating these super emotional memories and attachments that people have to games.

"What you're gonna see in Sea of Thieves as we go forward and start talking more about the game is how [the studio is] enabling that kind of player-generated emotional and memory-driven stories that can happen within a game to happen within Sea of Thieves," he continued. "And I think that's what Rare does well. That's what we’re going to keep having them doing in the future. And Sea of Thieves is gonna be the best game that Rare has ever made."

Zeta Oni

Has it been confirmed it's free to play ?

Don't think so. Only things known at this point are:

- Pirates
- "Shared World Multiplayer" (like Destiny?)
- Xbox and W10 release. (No confirmation of crossplay/crossbuy, but I'd put my money on at least crossplay)

Kezen

Banned
Don't think so. Only things known at this point are:

- Pirates
- "Shared World Multiplayer" (like Destiny?)
- Xbox and W10 release. (No confirmation of crossplay/crossbuy, but I'd put my money on at least crossplay)

I saw this :
http://steverulez.com/?p=16073

My first post-E3 job listing comes from Rare, at E3 they announced Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves, the latter an Xbox One/PC shared-world multiplayer game (think Destiny and not an MMO, although presumably it will be much better), there were a few things that made me think it would be free-to-play, namely its day 1 PC release and the multiplayer part of it, if they’re developing a multiplayer only game in 2015/6 I’d really recommend you go free-to-play.

Rare have hinted at this too in previous job listings (from February 2014) but it seems much more obvious in one of their more recent ones for a Retention Designer, posted on 18th June 2015:

Stay up to date with industry trends and business models across console, pc, and mobile
Experience in a similar role successfully launching and running a Games as a Service
Expert knowledge of all Games as of Service and F2P business models on mobile, PC, and console

pr0cs

Man, I hope it's not f2p, I have yet to play a good f2p game that didn't blatantly feel like it was constantly trying to put its hand in my pocket.

Sydle

I'd think they would wait and see how Fable Legends goes first before diving into another F2P game.

So far they've had Happy Wars, Project Spark, and Killer Instinct. From what I recall, they were surprised with Happy Wars for the first year or so (didn't hear much after that) and they've been happy with KI to the point that we're about to get Season 3.

Strootman

new art

CWc0MIsUwAAx8Jq.jpg:large

Chris1

I mean, it is a RARE game so... This also is what it looked like since the reveal.

I don't know man, I would assume E3. Do we know when development started?

We'll hear more about it in 2016.. So yeah, most likely E3. Since it's due for release 2016, I'd guess they started working on it just before or after the release of KSR since that'd be about 2.5years development time.

Just seeing the success of gsmes like Minecraft, Ark, and DayZ this game could be huge for microsoft/rare if it's done right.

That genre is really popular and not only is it completely devoid of a pirate simulator but that genre could work really really well here.

Unfortunately for me I'm not a huge fan of the MMO open world style games like this but I'll check it out because I'm a huge rare fan.

Am I missing a high quality gif? I can see it in my mind looking good but that gif does not do that water any favors.

Nope, looks like the gif is pretty low quality, hard to tell anything from it really. Still excited though.

Edit: Guess I lie'd...guess I'm not seeing the high quality gif?

Top Bottom