• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

OnPoint

Also count me in the Wai Wai world 2 club. Ordered one from a JP seller on Amazon. Came in box with no manual, but box Is in good shape and cart in excellent. That's one thing I kinda like about ordering JP imports on Amazon, you never know if you'll get something complete, box only, manual in box, or just cart, but it'll always be in great shape. Its like a win win gamble.

We can do Wai Wai World 2, I own that.

Hey guys, get your copies -- maybe we'll make that the December game so you guys can all get it in time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome idea with the monthly club, will put my Analogue Nt into good use. So Monster Party is confirmed for October? Need to start hunting.

D.Lo

EDIT: I got someone on this, but if anyone here wants to take a crack, by all means, please do
Do you still need some graphics OnPoint?

I can make something up in a few hours if so.

Famicom/NES Game Club?

mosaic

go eat paint
Looking for Gun*Nac?
Got a way to play famicom games?
Got 50 or less bucks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Nac-Nin...t-US-Seller-/231693060525?hash=item35f1fb89ad

If you're in the market for Famicom shmups, you have to check out Crisis Force. It's a bit uncommon, but pretty damn amazing for an 8-bit game. At times it feels like a Genesis shmup.

I bought a copy a few years ago and made an NES cart (using Gyromite adapter) with a sexay label (still have the original box, manual, and shell if needed).

crisisforce10small.jpg

D.Lo

Wanna sell me your Famicom Crisis force box lol?

It's an expensive game complete and one of my final four Konami Famicom games to get CIB. I have 78/82 now!

Teknoman

Do you still need some graphics OnPoint?

I can make something up in a few hours if so.

Famicom/NES Game Club?

Might as well since the Gameboy Club is a thing now. General NES/Fami game discussion here, and then use that one thread for whatever the game of the month is.

If you're in the market for Famicom shmups, you have to check out Crisis Force. It's a bit uncommon, but pretty damn amazing for an 8-bit game. At times it feels like a Genesis shmup.

I bought a copy a few years ago and made an NES cart (using Gyromite adapter) with a sexay label (still have the original box, manual, and shell if needed).

crisisforce10small.jpg

I'm mad at myself for waiting on it. Wanted it ever since I saw it along with Gun*Nac and Guardian Legend. Got lucky on an auction with Gun*Nac famicom, and Guardian legend was just something snagged at a store, but waited for Crisis force since it wasn't that expensive really. Now its climbing so I definitely should grab it sooner or later.

Any other recommendations (aside recca)? I have Salamander, Gun*Nac, Zanac, Guardian Legend, Sky Shark, Dragon Spirit, Abadox, and Gyruss.

EDIT: Oh and SCAT.

ElTopo

Banned

crisisforce10small.jpg

That one's pretty good. It has that Genesis feel like you said. The difficulty is pretty decent, it starts to ramp up around level 4. Plus the punishment for getting hit after you acquire a powerup is to go back to your peashooter which is woefully inept in the later parts of the game.

coughlanio

So my GF is getting me a Retron 5 for my birthday (at my request). I know a lot of people have issues with it, it seems like the best/easiest way for me to get 10 retro systems into my tiny apartment without her leaving me.

With that in mind, I've started picking up games here and there, so far I've ordered Chrono Trigger for the Super Famicom and Portopia for the Famicom. What are some must-play, albeit affordable games I should pick up for the Retron 5?

I live in Europe, and NES/SNES games etc. are quite difficult to come by in the wild, and as far as I'm aware, PAL versions are inferior due to the 50hz limitation? That's why I'm trying to lean towards NTSC and NTSCJ copies of games (thankfully the Retron 5 supports IPS patches).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Love the Famicom one. For NES, some of the accessories have cool typography that might be of inspiration. Love the family pic

Might be a stretch but would be nice to know couple of the first games early so it's easier to bundle shipping!

OnPoint

Hmm wow it's very difficult to get the Famicom and NES aesthetics to match.

Famicom has a 70s vibe:

That's the disk system typeface for 'game club' BTW.

While NES is pure 80s:

I'll keep trying.

I actually really like them both. It's hard to pick. I think if you can keep the tone of the second one and spruce up the idea of this idea I posted yesterday ( http://i.imgur.com/CaNqx7r.jpg ) we might have a good format going for at least the start.

OnPoint

You guys think we should have a title change each month reflecting the nature of the pick?

The NES / Famicom Appreciation Thread: Now playing Monster Party

Or something like that?

Now I'm hoping for an AVGN Halloween 2015 episode...just not with that game.=p

All the more reason for anyone interested in participating to get in now and pick up their copies while they're still $10 or so.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You guys think we should have a title change each month reflecting the nature of the pick?

The NES / Famicom Appreciation Thread: Now playing Monster Party

Or something like that?

All the more reason for anyone interested in participating to get in now and pick up their copies while they're still $10 or so.

Yeah definitely in the title. Also the month (Oct). And an improvement to the GB thread would be a longer visibility to next few months so we can have a bit of notice to find best deals on the games.

Monster Party ordered. And got Chip & Dale 1 too for cheap, with same postage cost. It might be too short and easy for a monthly game but I remember massively anticipating it as kid.

-KRS-

We're going with Monster Party? Alright I'm down. Got the game last year and got midway through it or so but never finished it.

D.Lo

Hmm I really can't make it work, without going for a completely different style. I made up a SMB1 title screen for example, and while it works (and is non Fami/NES specific) it's just been done to death, I'm sick of pixel art crap everywhere lol.

How about this, it's called Famicom/NES Game Club, the first game is an NES exclusive, the second is a Famicom exclusive. We could alternate?

Below it can be a version of the box art/details idea you have for each game being covered.

Here's banner versions of both ideas anyway, both still need some tidy up work.

Anyway I don't mind I haven't spent ages on these things.

OnPoint

I think I like the NES one just slightly better (but I really like the Famicom one too). So I'm gonna go with that as default. If we decide to do a game that's Famicom exclusive, we can use the Famicom image for that month's selection. I think it would give people the heads-up that whatever we're playing isn't available in a US cart.

IrishNinja

i gotta try Monster Party again, great game

I was always intrigued by Golgo 13 and its sequel, The Mafat Conspiracy ever since I had seen Electronic Gaming Monthly's feature on the second game.

i don't know what i dig more: the Golgo love or the EGM scans about. please believe im all about both

steveovig

Where is the best place to buy a cleaning kit for a top-loader, these days? I think mine might be a little dirty since the screen flutters sometimes when I'm playing a game.

AmyS

i gotta try Monster Party again, great game

i don't know what i dig more: the Golgo love or the EGM scans about. please believe im all about both

Apparently, Vic Tokai simply published The Mafat Conspiracy. The game seems to have been developed by AiCOM, who developed a number of other NES, arcade and TG-16 games. They also were responsible for Pulstar on Neo Geo along with former Irem members. Then AiCOM became Yumekobo, and they did the Pulstar follow-up; Blazing Star.

In Japan it's known as Golgo 13 Episode 2: The Riddle of Icarus.

Teknoman

Apparently, Vic Tokai simply published The Mafat Conspiracy. The game seems to have been developed by AiCOM, who developed a number of other NES, arcade and TG-16 games. They also were responsible for Pulstar on Neo Geo along with former Irem members. Then AiCOM became Yumekobo, and they did the Pulstar follow-up; Blazing Star.

Time out, They even made Legendary Axe and Astyanax (whats with them and axes)? Vice Project Doom, and Totally Rad? I need to start looking into old favorite's true developers and not publishers, then see what I might have missed.

Where is the best place to buy a cleaning kit for a top-loader, these days? I think mine might be a little dirty since the screen flutters sometimes when I'm playing a game.

apparently u can douse a cloth in isopropyl alcohol, wrap it in a credit card and insert/re-insert into the slot to clean it

Teknoman

Wai Wai World 2. Dat soundtrack. Konami was on fire in the 8-bit/16bit era.

Actually all the way till now, but i'm not going into that...

OnPoint

I'll be posting up about Monster Party to kick things off in a few hours and I'll PM a mod for the title change.

Wai Wai World 2. Dat soundtrack. Konami was on fire in the 8-bit/16bit era.

Actually all the way till now, but i'm not going into that...

Was playing Gradius II with my buds last night and we had the same thought about Konami. They absolutely on fire back then. (just realized they have had 2 fire in the last bunch of months. But I'm not changing that in my post)

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'll be posting up about Monster Party to kick things off in a few hours and I'll PM a mod for the title change.

Same thread or new thread? I think new thread makes sense for the monthly game, since this thread has people discussing garage sales, NESRGB kits, cleaning kits etc.

OnPoint

Same thread or new thread? I think new thread makes sense for the monthly game, since this thread has people discussing garage sales, NESRGB kits, cleaning kits etc.

Was gonna do it in this thread as an effort to keep us all active and maybe draw people in.

Do people think a new thread makes more sense?

Edit: I decided I'll go through with it here first, and if we need to spin it out ever we can in the future.

-KRS-

I think the idea is to get people in this thread to discuss actually playing the games as well lol.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Welcome to the first ever NES / Famicom Game Club event! We here in the
NES/Famicom Appreciation thread felt like we could be appreciating our games
just a little more by picking one each month to zero in and focus on.

This month we selected Monster Party, what, with it being a time for spooky
skeletons and jack'o'lanterns and what not. Basically, it's the perfect fit to kick
off our new initiative.

T9sxhIK.png

There are a lot of strange games on the NES, but Monster Party is among the
strangest. You play the game as Mark, who is whisked away to a monster-world by
an otherworldly-yet-friendly creature named Bert. What follows is easily one of
the wackiest platformers on the NES, with strange dialogue, odd enemy types
and disturbing settings.

Truthfully, I don't want to spoil the insanity of Monster Party in the very first post,
so I'd encourage anyone interested to play this game this month and join us in
the discussion here! It's a relatively inexpensive game, though do note that it's
only available as a US released cartridge.Sorry Famicom gamers, but don't
worry, we'll do some Famicom exclusives in future months.​

If you absolutely MUST know more about Monster Party before playing,
check out this Hardcore Gaming 101 article on it and get educated.
You could also check out this video play through of Level 1.

bTFWpJL.png

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines

The nominated title should be readily available via standard channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30, preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join in).
The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks, homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be playable without knowledge of Japanese.
Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process

The first week of each month, the selection process for the following month commences. As part of this, each member has the ability to submit a nomination for the title they think should be the next Game Of The Month.

At the end of this week, the nominations are tallied in the following manner:

The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The list is ordered by the number of votes per nominee.
The top five nominees are selected.
In the case of nominees that have an equal amount of votes either side of the cut-off point, the title nominated first is selected.
During the second week, voting commences, lasting for one week. Results will be posted in the thread.

Nominate games for future months here: http://goo.gl/forms/3kOrh52aXW

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Good choice of game! Have owned this game forever, but never actually played it, so this will be a good opportunity!

ElTopo

Banned
Monster Party is one of those curios that could only come from Japan. It has a certain appeal just for being weird but (for Horror fans anyway) it also scratches that horror itch that was almost non-existent back in the 8 and 16 bit era of games. There were very few horror games back in the day so horror games from that era have a certain specialness to them just for that reason (same with the Splattehouse franchise). The controls are good and the visuals are pretty appealing too.

The game is fairly hard but offers passwords and easy item grinding. Only aspects I dislike about it is the bug in the second to last level where if you enter the doors in order and defeat each boss, a key will not appear and you're stuck. Instead, you have to enter the doors out of order to not trigger the bug. That and that maze level. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 personally. Fun little quirky game with a shockingly dark ending for a NES game.

Khaz

Let's try this! I'll be playing on a computer, is it ok? I'm not planning on using savestates or other tricks, and I have a USB NES controller.

[edit] lol, the intro is definitely something. "What's up, Bert?"

The change in atmosphere reminds me a lot of Eversion on PC. Great Halloween game too.

OnPoint

I'll be starting on Monster Party tomorrow. I'll try to do level by level impressions, spoiler tagged for whatever reason, I guess.

I will take this moment, though, to make a note that I just beat Abadox tonight. Was a long time coming (god, like 25 years I guess). That game is an example of what unlimited continues can do in the face of a highly difficult game. I was able to keep playing, and keep improving what I was doing. And I wasn't punished for dying too many times and sent back to the beginning.

coughlanio

Just ordered Monster Party on eBay, but had to order from the US, so hopefully it arrives here in October. I won't be able to play until the 16th at least, so not in a huge rush.

I'm just currently getting into NES/Famicom, my missus has gotten me a Retron 5 for my birthday (on the 16th, can't open it until then), so I'm happy to have these suggestions for games.

Also gave me a chance to try out the 'lukiegames' eBay store, hopefully it arrives in good shape, would love to be able to order more from there, they have great international prices.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
'lukiegames' eBay store

That place is a gamble. I bought a PS2 game from them that was supposed to be "Very Good" and it had writing and junk all over the disc and the case art had a hole in it for some reason. I trusted them before because I had gotten a Dreamcast game that was fine, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks to them I now always look for things with accurate pictures.

coughlanio

That place is a gamble. I bought a PS2 game from them that was supposed to be "Very Good" and it had writing and junk all over the disc and the case art had a hole in it for some reason. I trusted them before because I had gotten a Dreamcast game that was fine, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks to them I now always look for things with accurate pictures.

Yeah, it was the last copy (or the only copy) and was down as 'Very Good'. Their shipping to Ireland is $4.95, whereas regular sellers were asking anywhere from $11 to $20 for shipping. Got the game for about $24 which isn't too bad. The auction copies up there right now, are starting at $8-ish, with like $12 shipping.

If it comes in as anything other than "Very Good", I'll kick up a fuss I guess.

IrishNinja

ive sold to lukie, and bought from - no bad experiences, just overpriced.

played Monster Party...man is that game great when level 1 goes all silent hill on you. made it to level 2, finally overcame the onion ring boss & the shrine one too, couldn't find the key though!

coughlanio

ive sold to lukie, and bought from - no bad experiences, just overpriced.

played Monster Party...man is that game great when level 1 goes all silent hill on you. made it to level 2, finally overcame the onion ring boss & the shrine one too, couldn't find the key though!

By US standards I'm sure it is, but it's definitely cheaper by European standards, even with the shitty exchange rate. NTSC versions of games tend to be a bit cheaper than their PAL counterpart also.

TeaJay

Earlier there was talk about Conquest of the Crystal palace. Do you guys think the Famicom version would be playable without knowing japanese?

Top Bottom