• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

robot

Off the tops of your heads, what are some Famicom games that are great, playable without translation, and never came out in the US? I just scooped up Gargoyle's Quest 2, hope it's playable in Japanese haha

Do you have a Disk System? There's a bunch on there!

entremet

Do you have a Disk System? There's a bunch on there!

I would consider a Disc System, but I heard they're notorious for crapping out--mechanical parts that fail, magnetic media that can corrupt easily, etc.

Rather put my retro gaming dollars on surer bets.

robot

I don't yet, but I will, so list away!

3 Konami classics that never made it to the US
Arumana no Kiseki
Ai Sensi Nicol
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa

The original SMB2 and it's pre-USA version
Super Mario Bros 2
Doki Doki Panic (this isn't as good as SMB USA but cool to see it's origin)

Now with save files!
Castlevania 1
Metroid

Now with 2 player co-op!
Green Beret (aka Rush N Attack)
Excitebike VS (I don't have this one yet)

And a 3 player Famicom Disk game?!! Use that expansion port!
Moero Twinbee

There's a bunch others (like 3D Hot Rally) but that's more than enough to keep you busy!

Triple Dash

Neo Member
I've had luck with a pencil eraser on stubborn carts like that. It guess require you to take the cart apart. Followed by a regular Windex cleaning to get rid of the rubber. I hate taking apart Famicom games.

I guess I'll try that next.

how does that work anywaysince FC games don't have screws? is there risk of damaging the case when separating the two pieces?

Last time I used a sharp knife to pry open both Fire Emblem games back when I was first getting into imports and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. It broke the tabs but they fit back together fairly well and were mostly good as new after some plastic glue bar dents. Did find a guide over on Racketboy's Forum with pictures while doing a basic google search last night, haven't tried it yet.

Though I regret it a bit now since I eventually discovered my Gaiden cart has a dried up battery. Had to leave my system on for a whole week as I played through it, fearing every day that it would somehow catch on fire. Had a blast playing with it, highly underrated IMO. lol

Lol. Like clockwork. The retro community is a bunch of bandwagoners lol.

I don't see the problem. What's the difference between buying a game on a recommendation from this thread, for example, and buying a game you see in a video?

I bought NES Dragon's Lair after seeing the AVGN video for some "so bad it's good" laughs. And it delivered.

entremet

I don't see the problem. What's the difference between buying a game on a recommendation from this thread, for example, and buying a game you see in a video?

I bought NES Dragon's Lair after seeing the AVGN video for some "so bad it's good" laughs. And it delivered.

I have no problem with it, but I find the effect to be hilarious.

Also AVGN has a much higher reach than a niche thread on GAF.

D.Lo

I would consider a Disc System, but I heard they're notorious for crapping out--mechanical parts that fail, magnetic media that can corrupt easily, etc.

Rather put my retro gaming dollars on surer bets.
I have never had a disk fail in 20 years.

People who write that crap are the type who leave their games out to be trodden on.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I finally found complete copies of Wai Wai World 1 & 2 during my recent Tokyo trip ^_^

11821724_168093756860712_777378083_n.jpg

The boxes are a little beat up but I'll treat them good.

-KRS-

Dark games in Wii VC? No, they look as they should. I ran Mario World and Star Fox 64 on Wii side by side with original consoles and saw no discernible difference.

I'm talking specifically about NES VC though. But I might have it wrong. Haven't used my Wii in a long time now.

We got Mark Man up in this thread, eh? Nice gets, sir.

Speaking of Gargoyle's Quest 2 ... I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one. It's near the top of my want list and I don't mind the current price too much. It's a great game, according to many. And with October and Halloween just around the corner it's highly likely some YouTuber could feature it soon.....

I'm talking specifically about NES VC though. But I might have it wrong. Haven't used my Wii in a long time now.

No one has had issues with any Wii VC stuff, no matter the platform. It gets good marks from most discerning enthusiasts.

Speaking of Gargoyle's Quest 2 ... I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one. It's near the top of my want list and I don't mind the current price too much. It's a great game, according to many. And with October and Halloween just around the corner it's highly likely some YouTuber could feature it soon.....

It totally is a great game. Best one in the series IMO, but Demon's Crest seems to be the Youtube darling.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCiAOmgeFc

Followed the above and was able to open it without breaking any tabs. There was some damage from the 5 minutes I gave up and tried my own method, oh well. :D

Still running into graphical issues though no matter how hard I clean the cart. Will probably go to the store soon and pick up some stronger alcohol or electric cleaner, if not then I guess soldering(?). >_>

entremet

No. They're great. Colorful and bright. I'm playing Zelda II right now on the Wii VC, so it's fresh on my mind

Looks amazing on a CRT via component. I don't have a Framemeister or an RGB NES, so this is the closest thing for me. Incredible.

D.Lo

Yep NES on Wii VC is perfectly fine and by far the most solid NES emulation around. Far superior to the homebrew emulators that run on a hacked Wii.

Kawika

Yep NES on Wii VC is perfectly fine and by far the most solid NES emulation around. Far superior to the homebrew emulators that run on a hacked Wii.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between the quality of the look and gameplay. Many people have the settings wrong in the home brew emu which can lead to that opinion. That said, NES Wii emulation/vc is top notch. I still wish I could use save states on the actual NES.

b3b0p

Don't forget the NESRGB mod lmao...

I know this exists, but didn't think I could hook it up to HDMI or Display Port.

Imo, just swing by a thrift store, get the smallest CRT they have (there are some decent small sized ones that would be big enough to fit nicely on a dresser or small table / counter top.

What counter top? I can't fit a larger desk and I can't fit a TV on my current desk.

The cheapest and most space saving way is to get a used LCD off craigslist and plug the yellow composhit cable from the NES right into it.

Sorry m8, this hobby is money. Now, if you want some semblance of quality, drop 60 bucks on a SCART to component transcoder and another 20 on a SCART cable.

Money isn't the problem really, but I don't want to invest a considerable amount just to hook up and play the damn thing.

Most small new 20-23" tvs come with rca plugs still. Do you currently have a computer monitor or something?

Yes, I have Apple Cinema Display and a Dell 2415Q. The Dell only has HDMI and Display Port. I can't fit another monitor or TV on my desk or anywhere else.

entremet

I know this exists, but didn't think I could hook it up to HDMI or Display Port.

What counter top? I can't fit a larger desk and I can't fit a TV on my current desk.

Money isn't the problem really, but I don't want to invest a considerable amount just to hook up and play the damn thing.

Yes, I have Apple Cinema Display and a Dell 2415Q. The Dell only has HDMI and Display Port. I can't fit another monitor or TV on my desk or anywhere else.

If you're gonna go for original hardware, you will need to make some concessions.

Try thrift shops. You can get older LCDTVs for really cheap. Get a small one since you said a CRT won't work.

b3b0p

If you're gonna go for original hardware, you will need to make some concessions.

Try thrift shops. You can get older LCDTVs for really cheap. Get a small one since you said a CRT won't work.

I have my mouse on the checkout for the second preorder allotment of an Analogue NT now.

televator

You need to go through an upscaler like the XRGB Mini. But again, monies :p

He could do the RGB -> Component route, but once you've already paid for the RGB mod, why the hell not get a Framemeister or a pro monitor?

I have my mouse on the checkout for the second preorder allotment of an Analogue NT now.

Oh... well... That takes care of everything then. Are you getting the HDMI model or the analogue only one?

Rydeen

I finally found complete copies of Wai Wai World 1 & 2 during my recent Tokyo trip ^_^

11821724_168093756860712_777378083_n.jpg

The boxes are a little beat up but I'll treat them good.
Sweet, good finds. I prefer Wai Wai World 2 over 1, but 1 is waaay more playable with turbo controllers and playing it with 2-player co-op, which is a revelation.

D.Lo

I no longer own a TV and most modern monitors seem to only have display port and possibly HDMI.

What is the cheapest means to connect an NES or AV Famicom you guys have found that's actually available?

I really want to play my NES games on actual hardware. Emulation feels so wonky.

Edit: I live in a 500 sq ft apartment. I'm not getting a TV... I don't think. I don't want to anyway because I have no place to put it.

You just jumped from 'what is the cheapest way' and 'what is the most expensive possible option available' within one page ;)

Read the first page of the NT thread before buying. Apart from the issues with the product itself, the time difference between ordering and receiving one of those may be somewhat... flexible.

televator

You just jumped from 'what is the cheapest way' and 'what is the most expensive possible option available' within one page ;)

My thoughts exactly. lol
that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif.gif

At least he's doing it right. I just hope he doesn't cheap out on the screen. Use RGB to it's fullest.

ElTopo

Banned
Inspired by the AVGN video on Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwWi1A8_UXE

I just tried it and beat it on my first go. Died a few times but never had to restart. The game is somewhat hard. James and Mike never figured out the fireball attack (hold down attack to charge) which makes the bosses a little easier. Very good little action platformer. Very short tho.

Teknoman

No one has had issues with any Wii VC stuff, no matter the platform. It gets good marks from most discerning enthusiasts.

Dive on that if you're good with the price now. Also I'm confused how Cinemassacre = price boost when Game Grumps, Happy game near (Stop Skeletons from fighting), Game Sack, 16 bit gems, Splash Wave, Turbo Views (well TG16 / PCE stuff is always sorta up there) etc. don't. Games featured on those channels look like actual fun most of the time.

Also get it for October / Halloween anyway.

NDPsycho

Followed the above and was able to open it without breaking any tabs. There was some damage from the 5 minutes I gave up and tried my own method, oh well. :D

Still running into graphical issues though no matter how hard I clean the cart. Will probably go to the store soon and pick up some stronger alcohol or electric cleaner, if not then I guess soldering(?). >_>

Nevermind...I read back far enough to answer myself. Nothing to see here. Move along.

entremet

Analogue's look nice. I might get one, but be aware of the issues--cart scratching (you can remedy this) and you can only do HDMI or RGB, not both. Not to mention the pre-order fiasco, so be patient!

b3b0p

You need to go through an upscaler like the XRGB Mini. But again, monies :p

Ah, didn't think of XRGB or an upscaler at all. That seems like it would work as well. Either an upscaler/convert or Analogue NT probably are not much different in price. I'll definitely get one or the other. Not getting a another monitor, CRT, or pro monitor. No space and i'm not that hard core about it.

The emulators feel wonky to me for a couple reasons, but mostly the timing feels off and not right.

Ah, didn't think of XRGB or an upscaler at all. That seems like it would work as well. Either an upscaler/convert or Analogue NT probably are not much different in price. I'll definitely get one or the other. Not getting a another monitor, CRT, or pro monitor. No space and i'm not that hard core about it.

The emulators feel wonky to me for a couple reasons, but mostly the timing feels off and not right.

Right now the Framemeister is about $315 while the Analogue NT is about $575. So neither is cheap but there is a price gap. The cost of an NES and/or Famicom would be on top of the Framemeister, but the Framemesiter can be used with any other console going forward. More options.

entremet

You seem pretty hardcore if you're willing to spend at up to 600 bucks on it!

Khaz

You are feeling input lag. An emulator adds at least one frame of lag, Windows and your video card can add up to three (if triple buffering is activated), and your display adds god know how many, but probably a lot.

The only cure for that is to play on real hardware on a real CRT.

-KRS-

You are feeling input lag. An emulator adds at least one frame of lag, Windows and your video card can add up to three (if triple buffering is activated), and your display adds god know how many, but probably a lot.

The only cure for that is to play on real hardware on a real CRT.

Yeah even the Framemeister adds one frame of latency right? But really it's the LCD monitors that add the most latency. They're simply not fast enough at updating the screen. On a great LCD there might be 4ms of latency while on even a cheap CRT we're talking microseconds. But if space is a concern one has to compromise on something.

televator

Mike Tyson's Punch Out! is my favorite game of all time, and it has been my goal to beat the game without using an emulator.

You might want a CRT too. As much as I love playing games on my plasma, Punchout requires me to play on a CRT because of how unforgiving the timings are for dodges and critical hits.

Timu

Yeah, when the Yen started having a lot of trouble and before the date that Solaris raised the price for the Mini.

It was savings c-c-combo! cost me about ~$240 including the D-terminal
I would buy it with that price in a heartbeat, epic deal, lol.

Top Bottom