• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah since Taro Yoko is the director it should be less over the top, I really hope it's not like another case of MGR, we'll see!

MGR is one of the best character action games ever made. Literally an instance of lightning trapped in a bottle... but your comment seems to convey a negativity around the game... which means you're probably full of opinions I'm not likely to agree with.

Weird, I beat the game twice rendering at 4K internal and only dropped below 30 at bonfires. Must be an issue on your end.

Yeah, DS2 ran like a champ on my 770... I'm sure it runs even better on a 900 series card.

uJ3NZrY.gif

This is what you are, Messiah of despair :/

Could be worse.

zkylon

zkylewd
for everyone else outside of japan that aren't used to the whole exaggerated and "Japan is weird" approach
i dunno, to me her design is bad and that's about it, nothing to do with japan, there's fanservice in the west too and it's often just as bad

You guys think the division will do well? Was talking about it with my friends. I think itll do as well as the crew if its lucky. I mean the crew has to be doing well, ubi bought the devs and theyre releasing an expansion. Weird thing is that i dont know anyone who plays that game

Anteater

MGR is one of the best character action games ever made. Literally an instance of lightning trapped in a bottle... but your comment seems to convey a negativity around the game... which means you're probably full of opinions I'm not likely to agree with.

nah i like MGR, I was talking about the story and narrative which Nier was mostly focused on, PG did say Konami did the story even though PG told them to scratched the entire thing but it doesn't feel like a mgs game.

a PG game where they do the combat and leave the rest to everyone else would be amazing honestly

Anteater

i dunno, to me her design is bad and that's about it, nothing to do with japan, there's fanservice in the west too and it's often just as bad

it wasn't targeted at you, just saying it would've been taken more seriously in the west* if the design was different than the whole fan service and everyone is naked thing:p, because the subject matter is really interesting imo.

edit: *outside of japan

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't like mgr either, super frustrating game with most of my least favorite brawler mechanics

Warframe is better than ever. It's got the loading screen ship like Destiny, but you can move it while loading. goty
too bad u have to pay to even change warframes or something like that

and also last time i played it was janky af

it wasn't targeted at you, just saying it would've been taken more seriously in the west if the design was different than the whole fan service and everyone is naked thing:p, because the subject matter is really interesting imo.
i don't know enough to make it an east vs west thing and i think most ppl take the game seriously despite the kaine stuff

nah i like MGR, I was talking about the story and narrative which Nier was mostly focused on, PG did say Konami did the story even though PG told them to scratched the entire thing but it doesn't feel like a mgs game.

a PG game where they do the combat and leave the rest to everyone else would be amazing honestly

But it's not an MGS game either. :p
It's a game that takes place in the Metal Gear Universe... much like Yaiba is NOT a Ninja Gaiden game but takes place in the Ninja Gaiden Universe.

Uzzy

I've played about five hours of Grey Goo this weekend, and here's some thoughts on it. Five hours isn't the greatest amount of time to spend on a strategy game, and I've not touched the multiplayer, so there's some limitations to my thoughts. If you want something a bit more in depth, I'd suggest listening to Three Moves Ahead's podcast on it.

Petroglyph Games are an odd studio. They certainly have the pedigree of RTS legends, given how many of the team worked at Westwood back in the day, yet the games they themselves have made haven't really set the world alight yet. Star Wars: Empire at War was decent enough, but Universe at War was really quite poor, and besides, those games are eight years old now. From the looks of it they've been stuck in MOBA hell for the past five years anyway. So I'd like to think that my decision to ignore Grey Goo's release earlier in the year was well founded. Another 'traditional' RTS from them wasn't too much to get excited about, especially with Eugen Systems, a company with an exceptional track record in recent years, working on Act of Aggression and looking to deliver that same kind of classic RTS game that's been so dearly missed.

Turns out that I was a little mistaken there, on both points. Grey Goo is actually pretty damn good. And Act of Aggression really isn't.

So, first impressions. The name kinda sucks, to be honest. It's not really a name that tells me anything about the game, nor does it sound 'cool'. But when you get past that and first start the game up, you're greeted with Frank Klepacki's rousing main menu music, and you get the feeling you're in for something special. To start with, I booted up the campaign, and was presented with a linear series of missions that tell an overarching story, with cutscenes at the start and end of each mission. That's pretty typical for most RTS games, but was still a little disappointing initially. Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault, really set the bar quite high for single player RTS campaigns, with it's metamap and strategic layer, so returning to a cutscene driven linear campaign wasn't something I was massively looking forward to.

OieShWd.jpg

The campaign map. Linear missions are a go-go!

But luckily, the cutscenes are of a very high quality. Weta Workshops was contracted for the design work, and Glasgow based CGI studio Axis created the cutscenes themselves, and they look spectacular. Top-notch work, probably surpassing Blizzard in terms of quality. The story itself isn't that special, but it's told well enough, and I found myself rather enjoying it.

fiBNuWb.jpg

He lives in a Blue House, with a Blue Window.

Gameplay wise, you have three factions, the alien Beta, the Humans and the titular Grey Goo. There's a strong focus on the macro, rather than the micro, and your units do exactly what they say on the tin. There's no special abilities, only a few upgrades, and not a whole lot of tactical depth. Most of the time you can get away with selecting your horde of units and performing an attack move. Whether this is good or not depends on your own personal preferences, but for me it's a welcome change of pace. What's important is your macro skills, how you get your economy running, and how you build your base.

The economy is run off a single resource, called Catalyst. You build a refinery, put down an extractor over the Catalyst field, and your harvester goes out to collect it. So far, so simple. You then use the Catalyst to build factories to churn out your units, then slap down attachments to your factories to build tanks, air units and artillery. As long as your income flow stays above 0, you can build units infinitely. The units are broadly similar, so the first major difference between the factions comes in how they build their bases. The Beta can build 'hubs' anywhere on the map, which lets them sprawl out over the battlefield, putting up refineries close to the Catalyst fields, factories in unexpected locations, but they have to rely on their forces to defend themselves. They can't really bunker down and defend too well, unlike the Humans. The Humans have to keep buildings connected to their central hub via conduits, which means that they're limited to one big base. But they get powerful defensive structures and can turtle very easily, even teleporting defenses around their base to where they're most needed. The Beta have multiple smaller bases, while the Humans have one massive tough nut to crack.

NyR2i6W.jpg

All nut, no gooey centre.

So far, everything's pretty traditional and focused on the macro. It's reminiscent of Command and Conquer, in all the best ways. Then the Grey Goo come in, and everything that I said above gets thrown out the window.

The Grey Goo don't have a base. They have mobile mother units that park on the Catalyst fields and spawn units. Units which can seemingly ignore terrain entirely, attacking you from over cliff faces and other unexpected directions. There's no 'infinite build' toggle, forcing you to micro manage unit production. If your mother goo unit gets attacked, move away and park on another Catalyst field. They're a wild card of unique design ideas thrown into what was a rather traditional RTS, and look delightfully nasty, a mix of the Blob and walking space octopi.

game-info-goo-faction.jpg

Sadly Weta didn't use Mr Blobby for design inspiration.

Overall then, I've enjoyed the brief time I've spent with Grey Goo so far. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a good traditional single player RTS to play, in the vein of Command and Conquer. How well the multiplayer holds up I unfortunately can't speak to, however.

Anteater

i don't know enough to make it an east vs west thing and i think most ppl take the game seriously despite the kaine stuff

game didn't sell well and we don't hear people talking about it, the kaine stuff distract rather than helping it

but hey I don't live in japan so it's probably the same there!

i don't like mgr either, super frustrating game with most of my least favorite brawler mechanics

it's easier than dark souls 2!

too bad u have to pay to even change warframes or something like that

and also last time i played it was janky af

You can craft all warframes and weapons. It just takes time and mats.

It's not the best system, but unless things have changed drastically since last I played, there's enough content there to enjoy the downtime. At the very least, Warframe has retained its sstttyylllee which is great.

It took me an hour to remember how to switch weapons again. Oh, Warframe.

Zky, you need to embrace the rules of nature. It's the only thing I know for real.

Anteater

But it's not an MGS game either. :p
It's a game that takes place in the Metal Gear Universe... much like Yaiba is NOT a Ninja Gaiden game but takes place in the Ninja Gaiden Universe.

I like DmC* too, just saying it's better if PG don't touch the story, cuz they don't care anyway!

*DmC ended up having a poopy/worse story but I mean you get what I was saying

zkylon

zkylewd
game didn't sell well and we don't hear people talking about it, the kaine stuff distract rather than helping it

but hey I don't live in japan so it's probably the same there!
i dunno if that's got kaine to blame tho, i think the game's got cult status but it's always been like a minor thing compared to big games

it's easier than dark souls 2!
pls

also i don't think mgr is hard (it's so dumb easy in normal), i just think it's frustrating.

You can craft all warframes and weapons. It just takes time and mats.

It's not the best system, but unless things have changed drastically since last I played, there's enough content there to enjoy the downtime. At the very least, Warframe has retained its sstttyylllee which is great.

It took me an hour to remember how to switch weapons again. Oh, Warframe.
yeah, i don't quite remember anymore

i kind of want to play it cos it looks kind of cool, but i don't like grinding

Zky, you need to embrace the rules of nature. It's the only thing I know for real.
i think it's mgr r that should've embraced them instead of taking a nose dive after that awesome first level

Warframe is basically a third-person action take on the Diablo formula. If you like the latter, you'll be OK with the former, in that the grind is the game. If not, then probably skip it.
i think it's mgr r that should've embraced them instead of taking a nose dive after that awesome first level

tumblr_myn5hwZRVG1s0rd8ro1_400.gif

ExoSoul

Banned
Hi guys,
Remember that thing about the Awesomenauts contest?

While none of them are my character I'd really apreciate if you would vote for Ix the Interloper since he's really close to a second design I had but didn't get to submit.

i don tlike diablo

But MOBAs are the existential end of the loot grind formula: a grind with no reward.

Hi guys,
Remember that thing about the Awesomenauts contest?

While none of them are my character I'd really apreciate if you would vote for Ix the Interloper since he's really close to a second design I had but didn't get to submit.
But Samuel is basically Future Trunks. I can't say no to that.

Ozium

why are so many people here talking about Pinball FX all the time but on Pinball Arcade I only have like derExperte and Super Inframan on my friends leaderboards?

absolutely disgusting

Anteater

That's so WarrenI played thousands of games of LoL and even after years there are not even good hentai doujinshi out there. All my commitment into lore and characters for naught.

western games.

Like how there aren't many Korra doujins

At least that's what my friend told me because I wouldn't know otherwise

zkylon

zkylewd
tried playing some claire again

ehh, i don't think i can play a 2d silent hill game, it's just annoying to understand that fucking map

Ryne

zestiria and life is strange ep5 dropping on the same day

the storm is coming

Time to finally play LiS. Avoided spoilers the whole time.

How long is each ep of LiS? I want to beat that before moving on to zestiria. Can I beat it in one sitting (4-6 hours approximately)?

I've played about five hours of Grey Goo this weekend, and here's some thoughts on it. Five hours isn't the greatest amount of time to spend on a strategy game, and I've not touched the multiplayer, so there's some limitations to my thoughts. If you want something a bit more in depth, I'd suggest listening to Three Moves Ahead's podcast on it.

Petroglyph Games are an odd studio. They certainly have the pedigree of RTS legends, given how many of the team worked at Westwood back in the day, yet the games they themselves have made haven't really set the world alight yet. Star Wars: Empire at War was decent enough, but Universe at War was really quite poor, and besides, those games are eight years old now. From the looks of it they've been stuck in MOBA hell for the past five years anyway. So I'd like to think that my decision to ignore Grey Goo's release earlier in the year was well founded. Another 'traditional' RTS from them wasn't too much to get excited about, especially with Eugen Systems, a company with an exceptional track record in recent years, working on Act of Aggression and looking to deliver that same kind of classic RTS game that's been so dearly missed.

Turns out that I was a little mistaken there, on both points. Grey Goo is actually pretty damn good. And Act of Aggression really isn't.

So, first impressions. The name kinda sucks, to be honest. It's not really a name that tells me anything about the game, nor does it sound 'cool'. But when you get past that and first start the game up, you're greeted with Frank Klepacki's rousing main menu music, and you get the feeling you're in for something special. To start with, I booted up the campaign, and was presented with a linear series of missions that tell an overarching story, with cutscenes at the start and end of each mission. That's pretty typical for most RTS games, but was still a little disappointing initially. Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault, really set the bar quite high for single player RTS campaigns, with it's metamap and strategic layer, so returning to a cutscene driven linear campaign wasn't something I was massively looking forward to.

But luckily, the cutscenes are of a very high quality. Weta Workshops was contracted for the design work, and Glasgow based CGI studio Axis created the cutscenes themselves, and they look spectacular. Top-notch work, probably surpassing Blizzard in terms of quality. The story itself isn't that special, but it's told well enough, and I found myself rather enjoying it.

Gameplay wise, you have three factions, the alien Beta, the Humans and the titular Grey Goo. There's a strong focus on the macro, rather than the micro, and your units do exactly what they say on the tin. There's no special abilities, only a few upgrades, and not a whole lot of tactical depth. Most of the time you can get away with selecting your horde of units and performing an attack move. Whether this is good or not depends on your own personal preferences, but for me it's a welcome change of pace. What's important is your macro skills, how you get your economy running, and how you build your base.

The economy is run off a single resource, called Catalyst. You build a refinery, put down an extractor over the Catalyst field, and your harvester goes out to collect it. So far, so simple. You then use the Catalyst to build factories to churn out your units, then slap down attachments to your factories to build tanks, air units and artillery. As long as your income flow stays above 0, you can build units infinitely. The units are broadly similar, so the first major difference between the factions comes in how they build their bases. The Beta can build 'hubs' anywhere on the map, which lets them sprawl out over the battlefield, putting up refineries close to the Catalyst fields, factories in unexpected locations, but they have to rely on their forces to defend themselves. They can't really bunker down and defend too well, unlike the Humans. The Humans have to keep buildings connected to their central hub via conduits, which means that they're limited to one big base. But they get powerful defensive structures and can turtle very easily, even teleporting defenses around their base to where they're most needed. The Beta have multiple smaller bases, while the Humans have one massive tough nut to crack.

So far, everything's pretty traditional and focused on the macro. It's reminiscent of Command and Conquer, in all the best ways. Then the Grey Goo come in, and everything that I said above gets thrown out the window.

The Grey Goo don't have a base. They have mobile mother units that park on the Catalyst fields and spawn units. Units which can seemingly ignore terrain entirely, attacking you from over cliff faces and other unexpected directions. There's no 'infinite build' toggle, forcing you to micro manage unit production. If your mother goo unit gets attacked, move away and park on another Catalyst field. They're a wild card of unique design ideas thrown into what was a rather traditional RTS, and look delightfully nasty, a mix of the Blob and walking space octopi.

Overall then, I've enjoyed the brief time I've spent with Grey Goo so far. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a good traditional single player RTS to play, in the vein of Command and Conquer. How well the multiplayer holds up I unfortunately can't speak to, however.

Nice read. Been looking to get into a more traditional RTS but what isnt good about act of aggression?

Nooo Wasteland 2 OT is down to page 3 on gaming.
I'm really enjoying my time with it and now I doubt I'll be playing Zesty at launch. I'll give Zesty about an hour or two to make my final decision. -_-

Anteater

Time to finally play LiS. Avoided spoilers the whole time.

How long is each ep of LiS? I want to beat that before moving on to zestiria. Can I beat it in one sitting (4-6 hours approximately)?

well they aren't actually long, you could beat each of them in 1 and a half hours most likely but if you care about the game and explore it's easily longer than that, ep4 seems longer than the earlier ones so 2hr-ish sounds about right average

could definitely play through ep1-4 in 6-8hrs I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom