• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch (games/hardware) in History

Oy.

Spin this however you like, but at the end of the day MS own a property that can generate $400M in a week. Even with likely lower sales than previous entries, the value of that cannot be denied, especially when the property is now the flagship title of their newest console.

This is important I agree and worth noting. Even if unit sales are down the property is still huge and is going nowhere. Its still a success regardless.

Doffen

Chief and Locke did fight at least...

The tag line to halo 2 was 'finish the fight' ... The game ended well before the fight was over... Actually it ended with chief vowing to finish the fight...The marketing also implied that defending earth would be a major plot point. It wasn't.

Halo 3 marketing implied that chief died saving the Galaxy. He didn't...

Halo 3 was "finish the fight".

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
So, Halo 5 software + hardware > Halo 4 software + hardware?

I don't think we can say that for sure. Who knows if when they put out the PR for Halo 4 launch they were interested in merging software + hardware.

AP90

Even with 200k bundles, still have 200k copies of Halo and the other 300m could mean 5M. And the more bundles you add the more succesful Halo was helping boost X1 hardware, the ultimate goal of first party titles.

I understand MS PR spin, but the spin of some people here is even worse, where no matter what happens everything will mean Halo is dead.

using the same metric that MS PR has done today, that 7.7m figure will most likely include hardware as well, so add in a few console sales as well and the number of software sales comes down rather quickly.

1 console = approx 8 games, 10K consoles sold = 80K games

the true figures are still hidden as they have been again today.

As I posted a few pages before its all approximate best guesses really..

Here's my estimated math IMO... Either way its good for NPD and other things..

175mil / $500(avg # factoring in consoles + controllers) = 350k of a blend of consoles/ controllers

225mil/ $75(avg # factoring in standard, LE and CE editions and discounts offered over the last few weeks.) = 3 million copies sold approx.

If the above is true (speculation), then id say that's pretty damn good IMO.
Last edited by AP90; Today at 11:17 AM.

Trup1aya

Another key point of the PR for you guys to pick apart is they said it had the best attatch rate for a game on Xbox One. NOT that it had the best attatch rate for a Halo game at launch.

Nothing is ever going to surpass Halo2's attach rate. Wasn't it like 33%?

Halo 5 also had a $250 edition which Halo 4 did not. The most expensive version of Halo 4 was $99. Halo 5 had a $250, $100, and $60 version at launch.

Caja 117

I'm going to have to disagree with that. When you make an "_____" themed product, you need to have the IP owner's consent. Earning the owner's consent involves paying it money upfront or giving up a share of the revenue earned.

I mean, as brand marketing, like product placement maybe, in any case, we can agree to disagree, is a possibility that they are including the sales for A40, I just don't think they are.

in Any case even including the A40 themed, Im going to by my post where I said this is good given what happened last year with Halo MCC, this gives momentum to a franchise that took a big hit with MCC and this hopefully means that the franchise will start getting the trust of fans. that's how i see all this.

The post you responded to, which I then quoted, did not list toys, just the Xbox One Halo bundle and related hardware. It's plausible that they did not include a 3rd party headset in the number, but we don't know. What we know is they are clearly stretching the PR to make Halo 5's launch sound impressive by lumping in hardware (and not just consoles) for the first time in a Halo sales PR, to try and get a number that compares favorably with prior Halo launches.

And their wording is, "more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware". The headset meets that criteria, which is all we have to go on. It's reasonable to think they included it.

i just dont think that they include sales of something like the A40s, like it seem they just including MS products, thats my opinion.

JaggedSac

Halo 5 also had a $250 edition which Halo 4 did not. The most expensive version of Halo 4 was $99. Halo 5 had a $250, $100, and $60 version at launch.

I imagine the profit margin on that $250 version was insane. They would be quite happy for that sku to skew the numbers.

Why do ppl continue to come in threads about sales and complain about ppl discussing sales?

Now if you dont play the game or have no interest in it, you shouldn't have anything to say about the sales or reviews of games?

Some ppl are delusional.

Trup1aya

Halo 3 had a 50% attach rate in the US which was also pretty insane.

I guess that's right because we're talking launch numbers. But H3 ended up having like 20% lifetime compared to H2 33% lifetime... But H2 came at the end of the consoles life so...

Yeah, anyway, it would be foolish to expect H5 to have that type of attachment...

I imagine the profit margin on that $250 version was insane. They would be quite happy for that sku to skew the numbers.

No doubt. And the same with the $500 xbox bundle. Combine that with req packs and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the most profitable Halo launches ever.

I'm even inclined to think '...and hardware' is talking about all Xbox One hardware sold that week. Halo bundle or not. That comma could literally make it mean anything.

These PR guys deserve their paycheck.

Lol yeah sure All Xbox hardware.
333.gif

Been in a few meetings all afternoon so I've missed all of this, going to enjoy starting from page one when I get home from work tonight.

Wonder how crazy these pages get :)

farisr

"games and hardware" is suspect.

Anyways, Halo 4 also had the biggest Halo launch previously.

While 343 nailed the gameplay, I hope the game makes a profit but falls short of their expectations, I want lack of local multiplayer modes to have some sort of effect.

It still boggles my mind that a Halo game of all things has no form of local multiplayer/splitscreen whatsoever.

AP90

Its dead. They are only selling themed consoles, controllers, headphones and collectors editions now. Just to spin the numbers =p

This has been the game played by both console makers. Most 3rd party games have LE consoles for PS4.

By they I hope you mean MS and Sony.

Lol their marketing is certainly a new low in the videogame industry.

Using MS's methods of spin and obfuscation, any company could make any poorly-selling product seem successful. You gotta analyse every word and you still wouldn't understand what they are really trying to say. The only thing we can be sure of is H5 sales numbers weren't good enough to announce to the press.

ethomaz

Banned
Even with 200k bundles, still have 200k copies of Halo and the other 300m could mean 5M. And the more bundles you add the more succesful Halo was helping boost X1 hardware, the ultimate goal of first party titles.

I understand MS PR spin, but the spin of some people here is even worse, where no matter what happens everything will mean Halo is dead.
So how many $70 controller they sold? Or how many they microtransaction did?

The numbers of Halo 5 sales only goes down no matter how you look.

So, Halo 5 software + hardware > Halo 4 software?
Fixed.

El-Suave

PR constantly finding new metrics to demonstrate success is getting ridiculous. Now Blizzard has joined the fun with WoW. They compete and deserve an award at the end of the year. PRoty 2015.

That's a big number. You'd think it would hard to downplay making nearly half a billion in a week, but somehow we manage.

My roommate is buying this sometime in the next few weeks, can't wait to try. Has to be better than 4.

Hmm, been following Halo 5 on twitch since the pre-release and it is hovering around 3K to 11K views, mostly outside the top 10. Not sure what it says about the game, whether it's the viewers or the twitch streamers that just don't like it as much as the hype want's you to believe.

That's a big number. You'd think it would hard to downplay making nearly half a billion in a week, but somehow we manage.

My roommate is buying this sometime in the next few weeks, can't wait to try. Has to be better than 4.

You can downplay anything if you try hard enough.

Toki767

Hmm, been following Halo 5 on twitch since the pre-release and it is hovering around 3K to 11K views, mostly outside the top 10. Not sure what it says about the game, whether it's the viewers or the twitch streamers that just don't like it as much as the hype want's you to believe.

Yeah, I looked at Twitch on Saturday night and Halo 5 wasn't anywhere near the top. Maybe people just watched streams of the campaign and gave up after.

c0de

if they managed to sell so much copies for the expensive version, then this would be truly amazing.

TBiddy

Lol their marketing is certainly a new low in the videogame industry.

Using MS's methods of spin and obfuscation, any company could make any poorly-selling product seem successful. You gotta analyse every word and you still wouldn't understand what they are really trying to say. The only thing we can be sure of is H5 sales numbers weren't good enough to announce to the press.

So by that logic, neither was the sales numbers of GTA 5, considering they weren't released at launch... right?

Twitch seems like it's constantly dominated by the same collection of eSports titles, though. Do major AAA releases typically stake out a spot in that top ten list?

ethomaz

Banned
There is one stat we can compare with Halo 3 / Halo 4.

Halo 3 "Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week,"

40 million hours in first week for Halo 3

Halo 4 "with over 4 million players in the first five days. Users spent a total of 31.4 million hours playing “Halo 4,”

31.4 million hours in first week for Halo 4

Halo 5 "Fans have logged more than 21 million hours of total gameplay, including 12 million hours in campaign mode alone."

21 million hours in the first week for Halo 5

You can see how the activity dropped from the releases... almost half of Halo 3 and Halo 3 activity was sp focused.

Even though console sales are in there it means that the console bundle has done pretty well. Any way you slice that number the software and hardware has done crazy good.

There is one stat we can compare with Halo 3 / Halo 4.

Halo 3 "Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week,"

40 million hours in first week

Halo 4 "with over 4 million players in the first five days. Users spent a total of 31.4 million hours playing “Halo 4,”

31.4 million hours in first week.

Halo 5 "Fans have logged more than 21 million hours of total gameplay, including 12 million hours in campaign mode alone."

21 million hours in the first week

You can see how the activity dropped from the releases... almost half of Halo 3 and Halo 3 activity was sp focused.

That.......is a good catch actually

Monster Zero

Discussing sales / = downplaying. God that argument gets old.

Should be at least 50k or so, so a nice little chunk of profit for them.

This isn't even discussing sales, this is worst than NPD predictions at this point, all we know is they made almost half a billion off the Halo brand, We shouldn't even be able to argue individual sale units when we have NO idea where to start. There is no basis that Halo 5 sold more or less than others in the series except for strawman arguments like

The only thing we can be sure of is H5 sales numbers weren't good enough to announce to the press.

Like, who can argue against this?

Top Bottom