• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch (games/hardware) in History

Monster Zero

There is one stat we can compare with Halo 3 / Halo 4.

Halo 3 "Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week,"

40 million hours in first week for Halo 3

Halo 4 "with over 4 million players in the first five days. Users spent a total of 31.4 million hours playing “Halo 4,”

31.4 million hours in first week for Halo 4

Halo 5 "Fans have logged more than 21 million hours of total gameplay, including 12 million hours in campaign mode alone."

21 million hours in the first week for Halo 5

You can see how the activity dropped from the releases... almost half of Halo 3 and Halo 3 activity was sp focused.

When Halo 4 launched, install base was 77mil consoles. Halo 5 had 15mil units. Think Halo 3 had 8mil units or so? Halo 3 was a monster

ethomaz

Banned
Halo 4 had more players in the first week. From the PR
Ops... sorry... I was comparing units sold and Halo 3 opened with a little more WW but less on NPD.
Active users seems like Halo 4 did better but played less.

The full Halo 3 PR.

More than 2.7 million gamers have played “Halo 3” on Xbox LIVE in the first week, representing nearly one-third of the 7 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide. Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week,

When Halo 4 launched, install base was 77mil consoles. Halo 5 had 15mil units. Think Halo 3 had 8mil units or so? Halo 3 was a monster
360 had 7 million userbase from MS PR at Halo 3 launch.

wolffy71

Banned
Expecting sales to equal prior Halo games is silly and its not something that the company should look to focus on. The install base is much smaller at this point. Determining the actual games strength is better measured by the attach rate and hours played per player. They want to know what percentage of xbox gamers bought it and how much they like it i.e. play it.

Releasing the flat out sales numbers would just get a bunch of non-thinking fanboys all excited. And that would be bad PR.

Kill3r7

Fair is not a requirement in PR.

This could be explained by Halo 5 having lower sales. Though Halo 4 being lower than Halo 3 is a weird one.

Campaign length. So far, we have only had about 100 threads complaining about the length.

What was the install base on 360 when Halo 4 launched?
What is the install base on XBO with Halo 5?

There's a lot of eager disingenuousness going on in this thread. People desperate to get numbers so we can show that Halo has ... flopped? I'm not sure what the objective for some is.

FPS's don't draw the big twitch numbers brother. Not much interactivity

CS: GO is consistently one of the top handful of games on twitch along with LoL, DOTA 2 and Hearthstone. Destiny is also pretty consistently in the top 10 and I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch maintains a top 10 presence as well.

There's a lot of eager disingenuousness going on in this thread.

I guess I should post again how install base has had very little impact on Halo launch volume? What do you think guys?

jayu26

Halo 4 had more players in the first week. From the PR

Ops... sorry... I was comparing units sold and Halo 3 opened with a little more WW but less on NPD.
Active users seems like Halo 4 did better but played less.

In this case I think we have to throw away the metric of number of hours played, since it's not really telling us anything about sells pattern.
Campaign length. So far, we have only had about 100 threads complaining about the length.
lol
I guess I should post again how install base has had very little impact on Halo launch volume? What do you think guys?

Do it.

LifEndz

Expecting sales to equal prior Halo games is silly and its not something that the company should look to focus on. The install base is much smaller at this point.

I think a mod said the X1 install base is very similar to the 360 install base when Halo 3 launched.

Chobel

Every Halo game since 2 had software and hardware that led up to those big numbers. Including other game franchises like COD. This isn't exactly new.

Then it's really weird. Why include "hardware" now if they can make the PR without mentioning it (like the old PR for previous Halos)?

Scrawnton

I guess it's cool to crap on Microsoft now, so I will congratulate them and go back to enjoying Halo 5. It's a fantastic game.

jelly

There's a lot of eager disingenuousness going on in this thread. People desperate to get numbers so we can show that Halo has ... flopped? I'm not sure what the objective for some is.

There was less 360 users when Halo 3 launched than Xbox One users and Halo 5.

killroy87

Who's being negative about the sales? Is discussion about units sold negative?

They aren't inherently positive. Why do so many people care about binary units sold? It paints such a narrow picture of the overall engagement of the title, and only serves to provide out-of-context comparisons to past titles.

I dunno, it just seems silly to me for people to look at all this data, and the first thing out of a lot of people's mouths (not everyone, mind you) to be "but how many units did it sell?

farisr

Expecting sales to equal prior Halo games is silly and its not something that the company should look to focus on. The install base is much smaller at this point. Determining the actual games strength is better measured by the attach rate and hours played per player. They want to know what percentage of xbox gamers bought it and how much they like it i.e. play it.

Halo 3 launched 22 months after the 360 launched.
Halo 5 launched 23 months after the Xbox One launched.

The Xbox One has been outpacing the 360's console sales so far, so the install base is actually bigger.

I do think this has a shot of doing better than Halo 4 (in terms of player engagement, longevity). I doubt any Halo game could match up to Halo 3 again though in terms of engaging the player.

Dunlop

Between the UK thread and here you seen very invested in making sure everyone sees Halo 5 as a failure lol.

It's pretty clear Halo underperformed, PR is doing their job.

Assume all money came from the halo 5 bundle:

$400M/500 = 800K

Now assume all money came from the regular edition of Halo 5 and MS only counts what it gets and not total revenue from the POS at the store.

$400M/45 = 8.89M

So 800K < Halo 5 < 8.89M

Lol

AP90

You have to factor in that by the time of Halo 3, people played offline way more, and the number of consoles was lower as well.

And the fact that you had split screen available... That alone could potentially multiply the numbers up a factor.

FleetFeet

Halo 3 "Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week,"

Halo 4 "with over 4 million players in the first five days. Users spent a total of 31.4 million hours playing “Halo 4,”

Halo 5 "Fans have logged more than 21 million hours of total gameplay, including 12 million hours in campaign mode alone."

You can see how the activity dropped from the releases... almost half of Halo 3 and Halo 3 activity was sp focused.

What a reach... the Halo demographic that grew with the series are now working 80 hour weeks and raising families and having to paint the house and repair the white picket fence, they got no time for Halo as they use to.
/s

Between the UK thread and here you seen very invested in making sure everyone sees Halo 5 as a failure lol.

Unperformed compared to what, when halo3 was out and there was much less competition in the AAA FPS space? Are you joking? The user base numbers are a direct result of having more good FPS games to choose from in the passed 10 years.

The people in this thread man, constant shitting on halo no matter what. Fuckin sad.

The play time metric is really nice and confirmed what reasonable people have been saying all along: Halo is not as popular as it used to be given the strong competition since Halo 3.

LifEndz

They aren't inherently positive. Why do so many people care about binary units sold? It paints such a narrow picture of the overall engagement of the title, and only serves to provide out-of-context comparisons to past titles.

I dunno, it just seems silly to me for people to look at all this data, and the first thing out of a lot of people's mouths (not everyone, mind you) to be "but how many units did it sell?

The reason people are talking about sales is that this and the U.K. Thread are about...well...sales.

killroy87

Since you seem to have their forecasts on hand, do you mind sharing with the rest of the class?

Invested in seeing the game as a failure? Now that is legit funny.

Go into 90% of sales threads. I'm there. Thats what I talk about. I like numbers and industry trends. I've congratulated MS and 343 in this very thread.

stay gold

Still a top tier franchise as evidenced by the fact it made a shit load of money already. It obviously peaked with Halo 3, but expecting MS to highlight that in their PR is dumb.

killroy87

I think there's proof that sales are lower than though they would be. Is that underperformed? depending on what you think but it does show that halo 5 is showing lower numbers than it's predecessors.

That's literally one thing there is zero proof of, since companies rarely show off their projections. Situations like EA commenting on 13 mil for Battlefront are rare, and even that statement is talking six month sales.

Why can't people just say "Congratulations on the awesome sales" and move on?

Why do you have to know 100% of the sales details to know if did good? Did they play on PR a bit sure, but it doesn't change the fact they made a ton of money and the game is a success, just say congrats and move on holy hell.

A lot of it is because in the past MS trumpeted loudly that their game sold X number copies in Y days, and used it to boast about how strong their software was and how popular their console, and now they're trying to muddy the waters and hide this information. They created this monster.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Thank you for giving us something more straight forward to measure things by.

Lothars

That's literally one thing there is zero proof of, since companies rarely show off their projections. Situations like EA commenting on 13 mil for Battlefront are rare, and even that statement is talking lifetime sales.
Microsoft has done it before for pretty much every halo game released. when they don't for halo 5 than I think it's convenient that they don't.

Ah, no, we don't even have that official data. We still need the digital sales, which are a large part this gen.
It's been proven time and time again in the last couple threads that digital sales account for about 20% up to 30% at the highest. We don't have exact proof of digital sales but we have averages from digital games.

Dunlop

Invested in seeing the game as a failure? Now that is legit funny.

Go into 90% of sales threads. I'm there. Thats what I talk about. I like numbers and industry trends. I've congratulated MS and 343 in this very thread.
Sorry I meant to edit the thread and my boss ambushed me lol

Failure to meet their sales expectations, not a financial failure

EvB

These threads are amazing . Everyone used to dispute the 360 sales figures as inflated because of the RROD, now when that doesn't factor into the argument people want to present, it's disregarded

Somnia

A lot of it is because in the past MS trumpeted loudly that their game sold X number copies in Y days, and used it to boast about how strong their software was and how popular their console, and now they're trying to muddy the waters and hide this information. They created this monster.

Except now they are like pretty much every company in gaming who do NOT give direct sales #'s for games.

I can only think of Indie's now adays and a few outliers (like with Witcher) giving hard numbers. None of the major publishers release PR statements with exact #'s of sales in the first week anymore. Heck Sony doesn't even give PS4 sales #'s on Hardware every month and they keep winning each month.

This is basically how it is going to be for everyone going forward, we'll have to use financial reporting, npd, etc. to figure it out.

Top Bottom