• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch (games/hardware) in History

JaggedSac

What a reach... the Halo demographic that grew with the series are now working 80 hour weeks and raising families and having to paint the house and repair the white picket fence, they got no time for Halo as they use to.
/s

I know you are being sarcastic, but I haven't played a video game as much as I have Halo 5 over the past week. Almost every night I'm getting on and partying up with people, often times people I don't event know, and having a blast. It's bringing me back to college time feels. It's great. Usually I don't play as much games due to having responsibilities in life. Halo 5 is making me shirk them, lol.

EvB

I also don't know if anybody has pointed it out, but a digital sales is worth at least twice as much in revenue compared to a physical sale

NPD going to be very interesting when we get leak numbers .
I think it's safe to say that Halo 5 did not sell as much units as Halo 4 or 3 but sales were still good.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Except revenue is quite important, too. Having 400 million revenue is better than 10 million revenue even if profits are constant.

If you make 5m in profit out of 10m in revenue and 3m in profit out of 400m in revenue; 10m>400m. It's quite important in the sense that it shows volume for an industry like this but for say an aircraft manufacturer, 400m in revenue doesn't say much. As for this PR, it's filled with unknown variables.

spectator

What's the lie? Everyone should know by now that no company is going to post numbers unless the numbers will generate a positive story.

The lie is the suggestion that Halo 5 is the most successful/best-selling Halo game to date. The release is worded to make this suggestion despite the statements actually supporting no such claim.

There is a difference between not posting the numbers and trying to imply that the not-specified numbers mean something that they, in fact, do not.

Apparently to the gaming world, anything shy of Halo's former glory is a signal of Halo's impending death... No surprise they didn't give the Warriors that ammo...

As far I can see, this is exclusively Microsoft's delusion. I don't think anyone else is demanding, "Best sales ever or bust!", but MS is bending over backward to try to put the "Best sales ever!" message in our heads even though it isn't true.

If you only count hardware as console sales. Worst case 800k versions of the game sold.

Best case 6.7 mil versions of the game sold assuming all singular copies no hardware.

My own guess, around 3-4 mil versions of the game sold

I figured that, sort of... but, I cannot see anywhere near the 3-4 million mark. That means that about 25% to 40% of all XB1 owners purchased the game, depending on the actual sell through of XB1s (12 to 15 million), a number that MS won't disclose.

I have no real basis for this (no math skills, no statistical skills, actually no skills whatsoever as you can see by my 25% to 40% statement), but I think that we are looking at somewhere from 800,000 to 1.5 million sold in the first week.

...but I haven't played a video game as much as I have Halo 5 over the past week. Almost every night I'm getting on and partying up with people, often times people I don't event know, and having a blast. It's bringing me back to college time feels. It's great. Usually I don't play as much games fue to having responsibilities in life. Halo 5 I'd making me shirk them, lol.
Same here!

I think there's proof that sales are lower than though they would be. Is that underperformed? depending on what you think but it does show that halo 5 is showing lower numbers than it's predecessors.

Its impossible to have the same numbers as halo 2-3 when the battlefield has changed considerably since 2004. Halo was one of the only good FPS AAA games in console gaming then. Things have changed considerably. There are more good FPS to choose from now then there ever was then. Its practically impossible to expect the same result when every other FPS game has caught up and raised their game considerably in the online space. Its possible that halo performed exactly how it was expected to considering there's multiple games to choose from now compared to 2004 when halo was practically the only game in town.

I dunno if you played COD2 online but it wasn't exactly a masterpiece. This was the competition back then.

People are really defensive in here, Jesus. It's just a sales thread. Halo not being as much of a force since Halo 3 is to be expected.

ethomaz

Banned
To be fair they did say record digital sales for launch. We could be looking at 30% or more which is a pretty big deal.
It is UK we are looking, no?

It needs at least 100% digital sales to reach 300k to put it in line with the previous main Halo entries.
Even ODST did 240k first week.

Monster Zero

What happened here :O

Halo 5 made money, but we don't know how so.......um....TAKE IT FROM HERE MASTER CHIEF

sWfqwXO.gif

killroy87

Microsoft has done it before for pretty much every halo game released. when they don't for halo 5 than I think it's convenient that they don't.

If they didn't show off projections, that probably means their projections were lower than past titles, and it would be a bad PR move to outright say "we think Halo 5 will sell lower than Halo 4".

It's not just as binary as "if Halo 5 isn't bigger than ever, it's a failure!" If that was the case, Ass Creed and CoD would have been dead and buried long ago. Believe it or not, there are a lot of very smart people working at 343 and Xbox, and they are well aware of the current game climate and Halo's role in it. I'm sure they have many, many excel spreadsheets with very realistic, well-researched goals of Halo 5's numbers, and there's a good chance those numbers are proving right.

But since Halo isn't the biggest kid on the block anymore, certain aspects of those numbers make zero sense to show off to the public. Does that mean Halo 5 is a disappointment, or underperforming? Not at all, because we don't know how it's expected to perform. Just because Halo isn't the biggest anymore doesn't mean it isn't still fucking huge, a tentpole, and a Triple-A release. It's still probably Xbox's biggest exclusive property, and probably still makes them a ton of money.

Publishers and devs sit on literally mountains upon mountains of data. Data on how we play, what we play, how much we play, who we play with, what we buy, what we don't buy, what we talk about buying, what we think about buying, and so much more. The hard data we have? Press releases, and some loose corroboration. So for us to just assume that a game is underperforming when we have soooooo little context to know that is a bit silly.

It is UK we are looking, no?

It needs at least 100% digital sales to reach 300k to put it in line with the previous main Halo entries.
Even ODST did 240k first week.

Oh I agree. Halo 5 seems to be down from the series average by a decent margin. I just mean we can't discount digital in the current market and it sounds like it had a solid share. If its the record for launch it more than likely could be between 25-30% of units which is a nice chunk

Can we try to reach a estimate using the "highest week one attach rate" quote?

I was thinking of using Titanfall as a comparison point, but i saw the rest of the sentence for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One.
Unprecedented 100% Halo 5 attach rate with Halo 5 Guardians Xbone bundles.

100% of active users playing Halo 5 have purchased Halo 5.

Halo 5 is best selling Halo 5 on xbone in the history of xbone.

People are really defensive in here, Jesus. It's just a sales thread. Halo not being as much of a force since Halo 3 is to be expected.
That's the problem. It's not a sales thread. It's a "seriously-anything-other-than-actual-sales because no actual numbers were provided" thread. Were it actually a sales thread 90% of the posts would be irrelevant/misplaced.

vcc

Dafuq is this sh*t MS!? Seriously? No real sales numbers? That just helps what naysayers are spinning. And round and round we go. Dam.

Including tie in Hardware (do they include the elite controller?), DLC, digital, and boxed retail. Seems odd to do that unless there is a PR reasons to reshape the narrative.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Unprecedented 100% Halo 5 attach rate with Halo 5 Guardians Xbone bundles.

100% of active users playing Halo 5 have purchased Halo 5.

Halo 5 is best selling Halo 5 on xbone in the history of xbone.

I don't know if the bolded is true, as people can lend their friends copies or game share the digital game =P

Caja 117

To be fair they did say record digital sales for launch. We could be looking at 30% or more which is a pretty big deal.

Too bad we will probably never know this number, because it would be good to know how much is this record breaking on digital sales, and to see if this is a trend to come in Digital Sales, which IMO, should be growing.

JaggedSac

All of this is further proof that MS will release Halo 6 day and date on PC and XBone. All first party titles starting in 2017 most likely as well.

Trup1aya

That's the problem. It's not a sales thread. It's a "seriously-anything-other-than-actual-sales because no actual numbers were provided" thread. Were it actually a sales thread 90% of the posts would be irrelevant/misplaced.

It's really not that complicated... It's a thread about the revenue Halo5 has generated

All of this is further proof that MS will release Halo 6 day and date on PC and XBone. All first party titles starting in 2017 most likely as well.

Halo 5 just generated a ton of money... So they'll have no choice but release it on PC day 1.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
12 million hours of campaign gameplay, campaign takes 4 hours to complete, that's 3 million copies sold in the first week. ;)

Lothars

Publishers and devs sit on literally mountains upon mountains of data. Data on how we play, what we play, how much we play, who we play with, what we buy, what we don't buy, what we talk about buying, what we think about buying, and so much more. The hard data we have? Press releases, and some loose corroboration. So for us to just assume that a game is underperforming when we have soooooo little context to know that is a bit silly.
So we are just suppose to accept that they announce an amount but than not question anything about it? Of course there are tons of smart people working at 343 and Microsoft with projections on how the game will do but again we are discussing how they announced first week information and what It might mean.

Monster Zero

I am sure it did, but if the sales were as good as the previous mainline Halo's, why not just tell us ? That's why I am so confused.

This PR statement wasn't meant for that, which is why I'm surprised people are trying to bully their narrative into this topic. This really isn't the thread for it, cause we just don't have enough information, we're literally trying to use campaign playtimes to see how much was sold. What I want to know is, even if Halo 5 sells 1/10 of the units halo 4 has, it's making buckets of money, I've always seen units sold as a console argument, Like with bioshock infinite

Bioshock Infinite Sells Over 4 Million Units; Take-Two Reports a Net Loss

Is this impressive? Or disappointing, as a Halo fan, the units sold are the furthest thing from my mind cause I don't think you can compare the series against each other anymore, at least not Bungles vs 343's. Different time, different vibe. So we get the numbers, and we see that Halo 5 is indeed the worst selling Halo 5, what becomes the narrative when it's obviously making tons of cash.

Actually just realized something its just "best selling digital game" they didn't specify attatch rate. So actualy thats not surprising at all because Halo 5 is the biggest exclusive game the Xbox One has had LTD

I didnt think about it til that activision 500 million thing was quoted. So there's a chance some of that $400M in the presser is just sold to retailers and not sold to consumers then?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
MS only charges retail $30 per copy? I always thought it was more.

They don't charge anything retail. They sell to distributors for $30 who sell to retail for $45 who sell to you for $60. With digital they get the full $60 for themselfs.

killroy87

So we are just suppose to accept that they announce an amount but than not question anything about it? Of course there are tons of smart people working at 343 and Microsoft with projections on how the game will do but again we are discussing how they announced first week information and what It might mean.

I mean, discuss all you want, but just know that saying it under-performed is a massive, massive assumption on your part. We just have so little reason to know that.

But yeah, you're right, question and discuss away!

Top Bottom