• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Moonlight

Banned
Umm
234212-ZackasaurusMainImage.jpg

Alright, it sounds like the guest characters are going to be a lot more optional than the rest of the cast, but would a more sexualized err say Toko drive away people? More than it'd potentially bring in a choice your favorite design or something?
Still, respect to Lab Zero for doing what they want, not taking compromises from publishers or backers.
The point is that it'd be a little gross to hinge a lot of appeal on the diversity of the cast and turn around and open votes on alternate sexy versions of your female characters. You inherently harm the validity of these characters as anything other than eye-candy, and you lose out on protection when it's not even the artist's 'call'.

Ravidrath

Baozhai of the Black Jade

A true demon of the sea, Baozhai of the Black Jade and her armada are feared and despised by the naval fleets of both the Iron Kingdom and the Jade Dynasty. Though said to be a crude, ruthless pirate, she calls herself an entrepreneur. For years her crews have routinely attacked illicit Soma shipping routes and blockaded ports involved with the Soma drug trade. Many believe she simply steals for her own gain, yet rumors of a more humanitarian motive persist.

Neither empire have yet been able to hinder her, but the sea can be a cruel mistress indeed. A recent encounter with a massive sea monster decimated her forces and destroyed many of their vessels. Land-locked but not deterred, Baozhai is determined to rebuild a new crew and head back out to sea.

Harpoon being tied to her own waist somehow excites me even more than the shachihoko shoulder cannon. What kind of shenanigans are going to come out of using it like that?

Someone definitely used a blender on several characters to get her.

Baiken+Ruby Heart+Legend of Korra+Scorpion+Guts

We're gonna have fantastic reaction images when she impales her enemies with that harpoon, drags them in and blows them to smithereens with that bigass canon. My timbers have been shivered.
Someone has clearly been drinking their protein shakes. Now I really have to buy and finish Shovel Knight before Indivisible is out.

zulux21

so I finally backed for $60 and I saw the delivery date of jan 2018.

is it hard to change your shipping address later?
I plan to move in 2016 or 2017 :p

Ravidrath

so I finally backed for $60 and I saw the delivery date of jan 2018.

is it hard to change your shipping address later?
I plan to move in 2016 or 2017 :p

The shipping address now, for all intents and purposes, is just so we have SOMETHING.

When it comes time to fulfill, we'll be using BackerKit. So you'll get a survey and a chance to make any corrections, etc.

zulux21

The shipping address now, for all intents and purposes, is just so we have SOMETHING.

When it comes time to fulfill, we'll be using BackerKit. So you'll get a survey and a chance to make any corrections, etc.

thanks, I figured it was that way but this is actually the first indiegogo project I backed lol.

Write angry emails to who? They couldn't out who these publishers are. Not only is it unprofessional but it would absolutely jeopardize their relationships

Also folks don't forget Sleeping Dogs went thru a similar change. It used to have a female Asian lead, but was changed to a male for marketing purposes.

Which still kills me.

A true demon of the sea, Baozhai of the Black Jade and her armada are feared and despised by the naval fleets of both the Iron Kingdom and the Jade Dynasty. Though said to be a crude, ruthless pirate, she calls herself an entrepreneur. For years her crews have routinely attacked illicit Soma shipping routes and blockaded ports involved with the Soma drug trade. Many believe she simply steals for her own gain, yet rumors of a more humanitarian motive persist.

Neither empire have yet been able to hinder her, but the sea can be a cruel mistress indeed. A recent encounter with a massive sea monster decimated her forces and destroyed many of their vessels. Land-locked but not deterred, Baozhai is determined to rebuild a new crew and head back out to sea.

Jesus, how are your characters all so consistently great? I'm going to have such a hard time choosing who to use in my party.

Also got a couple questions:

1) how is xp divided? I want to switch party members constantly but am worried everyone but Anja will start falling behind

2) Is Baozhai based on or inspired by Ching Shih?

Cellsai

Dang. I really figured I'd only have at most a single team worth of favorites to choose from in this game, but I'm already loving faaaar too many of these incarnations.
Why do you make waifu selection so difficult?

Is Mariel the lead animator on this project as well?
Yup. She's also the Lead Art Director on this one. Alex Ahad had that role on Skullgirls.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but, I'm assuming the incarnations don't have individual stories given how many of them there are?

Incarnations do have stories! They'll be collected along the path of the story for whatever reasons and from then on will hang out in Ajna's Inner Realm. They can then offer side quests for their own personal storylines. It's been mentioned they want to tie some sort of leveling up / unlocking special skills to finishing these stories.

Jesus, how are your characters all so consistently great? I'm going to have such a hard time choosing who to use in my party.

1) how is xp divided? I want to switch party members constantly but am worried everyone but Anja will start falling behind

Is a bear catholic?

Hey, did the campaign go up from 640somethingk to 673k just today??? That's pretty good right??

New Incarnation is fucking awesome, too.
They'd have to make over 100K a day to reach their goal at this point.

They get to keep whatever they got even if they don't reach their goal right?

Salamando

Nope. Fixed funding campaign = they only get money if they get every dollar they asked for. They do have the option of extending the campaign by some days, but they won't make that call until closer to closing.

wispsmoke

Neo Member

I don't think so, since it's a fixed funding campaign. If Lab Zero doesn't make their goal, afaik it's either push for an extension or shut it down.

Ravidrath

Is Mariel the lead animator on this project as well?

Art director and lead animator.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but, I'm assuming the incarnations don't have individual stories given how many of them there are?

The plan is for all of the playable Incarnations to have side questlines that go into their personal stories. Sort of like Mass Effect's loyalty quests.

They won't all have major roles in the main story, though. Each region will probably have one or two main characters that are involved in that episode's story, sort of like how each Chrono Trigger era focuses on a character or two.

1) We haven't fully decided on how exactly that will work, but we don't want catching characters up to be a thing. Levels might just come from Ajna, since she's manifesting them from within her.

2) Yup, directly so.

Golnei

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Getting some definite Ruby Heart vibes from her, she looks awesome!

That's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. But the unique touches here really make her stand out - the cannon shoulderpiece, the rope belt tied to the harpoon - she's easily one of my favourite designs mechanically as well as aesthetically. Can't wait to see her animations.

We made Beowulf, so I think it's safe to say that beefy men are likely to appear in the future.

I'm kind of uneasy now that you've confirmed it, but I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. A single token character to pander to that demographic would be fine, but anything more would be a little alienating.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. But the unique touches here really make her stand out - the cannon shoulderpiece, the rope belt tied to the harpoon - she's easily one of my favourite designs mechanically as well as aesthetically. Can't wait to see her animations.

I'm kind of uneasy now that you've confirmed it, but I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. A single token character to pander to that demographic would be fine, but anything more would be a little alienating.
Odd that you'd consider having a character like that as the devs pandering to some demographic rather than them simply wanting to put such a character in the game

noonche

I played the demo on PS4 and wasn't a huge fan unfortunately.

I don't want to derail the thread by posting a bunch of negative stuff though.

Golnei

Odd that you'd consider having a character like that as the devs pandering to some demographic rather than them simply wanting to put such a character in the game

They've spoken numerous times about how strong the reaction to Beowulf was - deciding to replicate that with a deliberately sexualised character would be very different from going with a design like Hubrecht or Big Band; though they could both fill the same niche.

Cellsai

I played the demo on PS4 and wasn't a huge fan unfortunately.

I don't want to derail the thread by posting a bunch of negative stuff though.

It's kind of not good to have the whole thread just turn into an echo chamber of how much we all like the game. If you have complaints, let em out.

Alright, I'm in for $30 (£20 according to PayPal). I hope this goes though, but I may see how it goes and see if I have a bit more leeway to increase that amount.

Gbraga

Also folks don't forget Sleeping Dogs went thru a similar change. It used to have a female Asian lead, but was changed to a male for marketing purposes.

Really? That's such a shame. I can't get too upset because Wei Shen was actually a great character, but still...

Does the Aztec (?) dude in the second spot on the first row count? I'm not entirely sure what counts as "bara" aside from a general sense of "beefcake".

OH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit

Do I have a new favorite? Maybe.

Golnei

Really? That's such a shame. I can't get too upset because Wei Shen was actually a great character, but still...

It's regrettable, but at least they didn't force them to go with a white lead as well. Considering he's Chinese-American, it'd have been depressingly easy for them to push to whitewash his portrayal.

Gbraga

Whens the spin-off Action RPG with Baozhai as the protagonist?

That art just gives me huge Kingdom Hearts vibes for whatever reason.

It's regrettable, but at least they didn't force them to go with a white lead as well. Considering he's Chinese-American, it'd have been depressingly easy for them to push to whitewash his portrayal.

Baby steps, I suppose...

If today's numbers are anything like those of the last two days we'll be crossing 700k dollars sometime around 8-9PM EST tonight. Soon we'll unlock our Fencer version of Dudley and get some much needed class up in here. Can't wait to see a new take on Drifter or Calibretto too.
The Indivisible Playable Prototype will be hitting the EU PlayStation Store on 11/10!
Just in time for Europe to join in for the final push. Makes me wonder just how big of a region it was for the SG IGG and how well represented they are so far contribution-wise in this campaign.

Top Bottom