• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Been hearing nothing but good things about this TR. My friend bought the Xbox bundle just to play TR, finished today raved about it but the up and returned his new Xbox saying there's nothing else he's looking forward to. Somehow got a full refund lol. Really wished he kept it a while longer for me to borrow it, the wait for PC is gonna be a long one...

leng jai

This underwater section is terrible. I'm spotted under the surface and yellow dudes can't be stealthed.

Worst section of the game by a mile. The whole setup is daft in the first place, and the gameplay mechanic annoying with too much luck involved.

cookienut

Banned
Im only a few hours in - basically up to the part where you acquire the rope arrow. Just taking my time finding all the tombs, crypts and collectibles I can get to. So far it's my GOTY. Sublime visuals, gameplay that means something. Collectibles that enhance the experience of actually playing. Not enough games do this. Story and acting is fine yet unremarkable. But that doesn't detract at all. Loving it. Lara kicks ass.

Zeta Oni

Worst section of the game by a mile. The whole setup is daft in the first place, and the gameplay mechanic annoying with too much luck involved.

Can I ask what part of the game you are referring to?

Only underwater kill parts in the game I remember both start you off unalerted.

Lima

At the end of the research base. You are underwater with a couple of openings in the ice.

Didn't have any problems with that section. Just swim around a bit and pick them off one by one until only a couple are left. Then I went up crafted a bomb from one of the thugs lying around and blew he rest up.

Its got to be the one where
there are five or six holes in the ice you can swim between, littered with sunken trucks, and half a dozen heavy-duty hair-trigger soldiers with hyper-awareness patrolling above, amid red flare smoke and laser sights sweeping side to side.

I swam around for quite a while before I realized the extent of the fucked up situation the game threw me into. It likes to do that.

I LOVED every other underwater section.

It must've been just me that liked it tbh. It felt really bad-ass and predatory. Mild spoiler for that section
idk she's been hunted up to that point and it was cool that it was designed to make you feel like the hunter. Jump out of the water, take out one of them, jump back in, disappear, pop-up somewhere else... I thought it was thematically pretty strong.

Grisby

Just finished. Some of the graphics at the end, specially the cutscenes, are super impressive. The last boss bit was alright, but the lead up
(the castle climb)
was great. At some points I was, who got some
Dark Souls
in my Tomb Raider?

Story wise...the ending felt a bit rushed. There are some good bits, such as the deal with
Jacob (who is one of the best VA's in the whole game really) but Lara's ending speech felt off. It's like they gave luddington the lines and told her to read them as fast as possible.

Overall, I liked the story and the characters a lot more in Rise than the reboot, but I still feel like it's an area that CD could improve on. Maybe the third one will hit the spot, since 2 felt like such a step up.

They made a hell of a game though, and took the reboot formula and ran with it. The exploration felt good, and all of the tie-in stuff (collectables, hunting) made for one of the most satisfying progress systems that I've had in a long time. Unfortunately, I think for the third game I'll start on survivor right off the bat, because even on seasoned hunter I still felt the game was too easy. However, the combat was fun due to a ton of options that they give you.

Like I said before, I think they've distanced themselves further from the Uncharted formula. Yeah, the set piece stuff is still there, but the game had such long stretches where I didn't fight anybody and I was doing puzzles/open=y hub stuff.

For three I'd like longer and more involved tombs, along with the ability to fully swim around. Maybe have a level like something from the opening of Underworld.

Somnia

Update! The game breaking glitch in the Cathedral that I have mentioned multiple times in here.... THEY CAN REPRODUCE IT!!! It took till today for them to finally figure it out, but they are working on a fix for it now.

ghibli99

About 40% in. Just taking things slow and savoring every moment. Each new area is just so rich in detail with tons to explore, discover, and do. This is about the right size of an open environment for me. Not too huge, but it doesn't feel linear either. They really nailed that aspect for me, which is also what I liked about the first game, just with a lot more detail and scale.

Lima

Is there a silencer in the game? It's the only thing I'm missing so far :/

Pistol silencer you can get from one of the side missions in soviet installation. Can't remember where I got the rifle silencer though. Might have been a side mission also or I bought it from the store.

Is the military rifle worth it?

Yes, it's the best gun in the game.

The Undead Warriors story is great. I like how they were introduced more so than how Uncharted does monster introductions. ND does a horrid job of explaining why monsters are a part of the story.

Another person who didn't pay attention to Uncharted's story? Here's my post about Uncharted 1. I could make the same post for 2 and 3.

Just finished it.

Probably my game of the year at this point.

Did anyone else catch some incidental dialogue between two of the guards talking about how they had to go and clean up the island from the first game?

IbukiLordSA

Did anyone else catch some incidental dialogue between two of the guards talking about how they had to go and clean up the island from the first game?

Yeah, it's one of the main reasons I decided to go stealth, they seem to have a lot of interesting conversations with each other.

Drewfonse

Is there a way to mark a location to come back to? I still haven't gotten the rope arrow, but have stumbled upon 3-4 places to use it. I hope that I remember the spots....

silva1991

Man, after beating this GOTY material I don't even give a crap about FO4 :/

going back to FO4 after a week of playing TR is gonna be hard.

Probably come up a bunch but apparently there is a glitch in the Voice of the God tomb I just hit.

Keeping it as vague as possible, basically the last step in the process to complete it requires specific timing in moving an object. If you mistime it basically the object gets stuck in the wrong position and there is no way to reset it to try again.

Apparently it is a known bug and should be fixed with the next patch and you can use the combat knife as a workaround.

Just an FYI for anyone who ends up stuck and confused like I was.

shinnn

RepulsivePartialAmberpenshell.gif

Yes, it's the best gun in the game.

Another person who didn't pay attention to Uncharted's story? Here's my post about Uncharted 1. I could make the same post for 2 and 3.

I paid attention. I played all three games multiple times and I recently played them again on PS4 - all three. IMO, it's just an awful incorporation. I'll give credit to UC3.
Drinking the water from the fountain was best explanation.
But for 1 and 2, they seemed out of place in the game. It wasn't good to me. If it worked for you, I'm glad it did, it's just poor execution for me.
The Undead Warrior explanation and how well their story was is a lot better IMO
. CD did a better job with
introducing monsters
. ND seemed to just throw them in.

Sulik2

Does anyone else find Lara's pistol to be comically huge?

Suppressors have to be larger then the barrel to actually work. That is actually an accurate looking suppressor with its size, which is rarely used in media.The extended clip is silly looking though.

Sulik2

I thought this was super fun. Baiting guys to the water, drowning them, then hopping out to gas the last couple.

Skilletor

Was having trouble with this one "waves of enemies" section. I've been using guns more. Then I was like...why am I using the gun.

After dying 9 or 10 times, I beat it the first time when I just used my compound bow.

Moral of the story bows > *.

arevin01

I beat the game at 53% completion doing just the main story. I can say for certain its better than 2013 TR in every way and the best action game of the year. My only gripe is i wished there were more animal encounters and fights.

Slixshot

Banned
I beat the game at 53% completion doing just the main story. I can say for certain its better than 2013 TR in every way and the best action game of the year. My only gripe is i wished there were more animal encounters and fights.

As someone who has not played the game, i will ask the question: are there more animal encounters in some of the tombs?

Moltenix

Finished the main story last night. Definitely a GOTY contender for me. The game looked fantastic and the platforming and combat was spot on.

Missed a few tombs which i'll be going back to. Other than that, anything else I should finish? Don't really care bout getting all the collectibles, skills, weapons, etc.

nOoblet16

Alright, this is kind of ridiculous. Why is Lara Croft so short in this game? She has always been depicted as a relatively tall woman around 5 feet 9 or even close to 6 feet.

Yet here in this game she is a dwarf. One might say that it's because she is around men who are usually depicted tall but two of them in these pictures are women (3rd picture and 4th picture, note that the 4th one is not standing straight). Also check how big the chicken looks when she is holding one.

Alright, this is kind of ridiculous. Why is Lara Croft so short in this game? She has always been a relatively tall woman around 5 feet 9 or even close to 6 feet.

Yet here in this game she is a dwarf. One might say that it's because she is around men who are usually depicted tall but one of them in these pictures is a woman (3rd picture). Also check how big the chicken looks when she is holding one.

Looks like the angles aren't the best to judge height from these screens.

hawk2025

Finished the main story last night. Definitely a GOTY contender for me. The game looked fantastic and the platforming and combat was spot on.

Missed a few tombs which i'll be going back to. Other than that, anything else I should finish? Don't really care bout getting all the collectibles, skills, weapons, etc.

Other than the tombs, the rest is just busywork, so you are good :)

There's Survivor mode, though, worth a second playthrough?

hawk2025

Survivor should have been the difficulty for your first playthrough.

I would agree if the combat controls were better (the amount of resources on Hard is ridiculously high), but not with these controls, can't say I agree. It seeps the initial fun from the non-stealth combat encounters.

Top Bottom