• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

iiucde.png
Lara is certainly not fucking around.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have an extra sparrowhawk code.( Xb1, North America) If someone wants it quote this post and the first person can have it.

I would love it, please. :)

EDIT: AH, late to the party. lol

I'm still waiting for them to release the Apex Predator one, though. Assuming they go the same route they did in the previous game.

Romir

Welp, I guess I'll have to put the game on hold until CD comes out with a patch. Do they know about this glitch?

Yes, but they haven't been able to reproduce it yet. I sold my copy
, and will re-buy discounted on PC to play and actually finish it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The collectibles are really distracting. Even in sections where you're supposed to move quickly (they play dramatic music and everything), I can't help but look around every corner for hidden things, and I'm constantly pinging detective mode because lots of items really blend into the background.

I'd love to just push through with the story and then come back (I have to go back anyway because they lock early stuff behind late upgrades), but I can't stop.

icespide

Banned
is anyone else having issues with suspend/resume for this game?

I always get "the status of the profile in use has changed" and it returns to the title screen

I've come to the realisation that poison arrows are OP for pretty much everything.
Shotgun and Explosive Cluster arrows have been my get out of jail gulag free cards.

The poison cloud and fire haven't worked on flamethrower enemies, but everything goes boom.

is anyone else having issues with suspend/resume for this game?

I always get "the status of the profile in use has changed" and it returns to the title screen
Same for me. Every time. So whenever I quit out I make sure to save and bounce to the main menu.

Lara is certainly not fucking around.
There's no getting around it. New Lara is Rambo, First Blood style for the most part.

ShutterMunster

I'm enjoying this the more I play it. I still think the narrative and characters need tremendous work (Lara included), but the gameplay has hooked me. I lost 3 hours last night playing this. I sat down thinking I'd play for an hour and so and WOOOSH.

DirtyLarry

Also seeing the suspend/resume issue.

Curious how far along I am. I just got past
the scene where the helicopter is chasing you and you eventually wind up in the water and the dude saves you then disappears.
How far along am I in the campaign itself? I know there are collectibles that factor in, so everyone will have different percentages of completion, I am just wondering how far along I am in the campaign itself.

witness

Think I am going to get this instead of Battlefront as after about 4 or 5 hours with the Access version, I have had my fill personally. The terrific impressions and reviews really swayed me. I was a big fan of the reboot.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Think I am going to get this instead of Battlefront as after about 4 or 5 hours with the Access version, I have had my fill personally. The terrific impressions and reviews really swayed me. I was a big fan of the reboot.

You'll love this game even more.

Syriel

Also seeing the suspend/resume issue.

Curious how far along I am. I just got past
the scene where the helicopter is chasing you and you eventually wind up in the water and the dude saves you then disappears.
How far along am I in the campaign itself? I know there are collectibles that factor in, so everyone will have different percentages of completion, I am just wondering how far along I am in the campaign itself.

You're finished with roughly 1/3 of the story. Still plenty to do.

IbukiLordSA

Is half of geothermal valley suppose to be blocked off? I can't seem to progress around the map as stuff is blocked off by spiked fencing yet the game wants me to move into a new area. Kind of irritating as there are so many collectibles but I just can't get to any of them.

Lima

Is half of geothermal valley suppose to be blocked off? I can't seem to progress around the map as stuff is blocked off by spiked fencing yet the game wants me to move into a new area. Kind of irritating as there are so many collectibles but I just can't get to any of them.

Yes certain areas are blocked off because of story progression. Honestly just follow the story for a bit.

Has there been any discovery as to what caused the generator glitch? I don't want to start a new game only for the glitch to happen again. This sucks, I made so much progress.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have 5 archivist maps and 2 monoliths in Geo Valley.

edit:

Never mind, found it. I feel so stupid now, there was a monolith behind the pumpkin field lol

Glad you found your coins! Also, thank you so much for posting your map; I finally found the last survival cache for that area using it!

I really like that
when you continue you get a moment with Sophia and a chance to say there's more stuff to see. A lot cooler than just throwing you back to a random save camp
I finished the story but still have most side tombs still to do (think I cleared 3 of them by the end), which is doubly good since the end game left for me is more classic Tomb Raider-ish. There's only exploration and puzzles left, with the occasional enemy squad to subdue or wild animal encounter, but none of it is in the mold of the story's ambush arenas or linear escapes. Basically its all gravy :)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Because it is not in a set place. It can be all over the soviet installation basically (well except the gulag). Look for a green glowing bird in instinct vision and then shoot it.

Need help with this please because I have been in that entire area and no bird glows green so with that said, here's a question, do I need to upgrade the instinct skills using the skill points? There's two skills that I have seen where it says it will highlight all the animals so im guessing that I need to acquire this skill. Since im not using the instincts at all, I want to make sure before I spend the skill point. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jond76

Banned
You have a choice there?

I shot him. Got an after credits scene with Lara and Ana. Ana gets shot and killed by a long range sniper. Was assuming Trinity cleaning up loose ends.

I listened to him talk shit about Lara's father for a minute then stabbed his face with an arrow. All sorts of choices!

shinnn

whoa it has different time of day each time you do a fast travel. Is this in the entire game or just when you finish the story?

Fredrik

Do it, I'm a fan of TR2013 too (own copies on 3 platforms) and omg this game is pure fan service, it's fantastic, if you like the previous one you'll love this one for sure. I'll probably pick up the season pass too, I know I should just wait for the other versions where the extra content might be included but no way I'm not doing the waiting game with this one, so far it's been much better than expected. :)

Does anyone know how much gameplay I have left? I'm at the part where Trinity invades the town.
Sounds about halfway to me. Maybe a little beyond that.

This game was a lot longer than I expected it to be, but then again without having a minimap or icons or breaking out the map I'm sure my play time through the critical path was probably a lot longer than average.

leng jai

This game was a lot longer than I expected it to be, but then again without having a minimap or icons or breaking out the map I'm sure my play time through the critical path was probably a lot longer than average.

If you're a completion-ist then this game easily lasts for 25+ hours. Even playing normally with some exploring goes for 15 odd hours. It's an unexpectedly meaty experience.

Lima

Thought what the hell why are all these random people I don't know adding me on Xbox Live and then I saw that I'm No.1 on the leaderboards for some Score Attack levels. These people lol.

sam777

If you're a completion-ist then this game easily lasts for 25+ hours. Even playing normally with some exploring goes for 15 odd hours. It's an unexpectedly meaty experience.

I have played this for quite a number of hours and I have just reached the second main hub (valley). How far am I in to the story, halfway?

arevin01

Only halfway? Wow I thought I was almost done. I've been rushing through everything and only doing the main story so I can play FO4 asap. I think Ive put about 8 hours already.

Only halfway?
If you're talking about the Geothermal valley, yeah, I'd peg that as halfway or so.

And even my story run, which I just completed over the weekend after mainlining it every night doesn't include most of the optional tombs and collectibles. I did plenty of exploring, but was not out to find everything before moving on, so it was a mix of moving forward with some smelling the roses. There's a lot of game here.

Not using the map was the best thing I could do because I wanted to get lost in the world. Nothing I had to do required it, and just about everything has subtle audio or visual tells to let you know whats up without needing icons on the screen. I kept the objective beacon on Survival mode, but only used that as a last resort when I truly had no idea where I was supposed to go next. The size of the hubs can make it easy to lose track sometimes.

The only bummer in disabling the map stuff is how much of the game's reward system is based upon the player playing to the map. So when I explored found the real out of the way spots I'd find a duffle bag or map, both of which served no other purpose than to sprinkle treasure icons on the map I wasn't using. So the hardest to find rewards for exploring the outside lands were very anti-climactic. Still, there are plenty of caves and side passages to explore to find resources and rare equipment parts, so its all good.

Overall this game just has a nice balance of all these different aspects - exploration, playing the map, combat on the map that can stealthed, cinematic ambushes (least favorite bits) and puzzling - still less than I'd want in a Tomb Raider, but more than TR2013 and enough to keep me engaged and wondering what was around the next bend. And I'm trying to remember whether there were any QTEs. There were QTE-like segments, but I never got on-screen button prompts outside of the dodge-counter move. The linear cinematic bits were logical in how they tested the player, and even though everything falls apart as you run and jump and climb in many sequences it feels more involved and rewarding this time around.

chekhonte

fully burned myself out on fallout 4 this weekend. I'm currently installing Tomb Raider and I can't wait. I know I'll never have the experience I had with the first tomb raider but I still hope I'll have a lot of fun.

EDIT: also is tomb raider just done with exploring the imagined ruins of classical antiquity? I really miss that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is so beautiful -- I end up sitting like 3 feet from my 55 inch TV when I play, it's like I don't want to miss a single little detail. Also playing Halo 5 like a fiend right now, thinking I should return to this when I can give it my undivided attention.

Top Bottom