• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

I seriously can't figure out how to get back into the Gulag :/ I can get into the section leading up to the trains but nothing past. Ugh. There are a few collectibles I missed there.

Megatron

Do we know exactly what outfits are being delivered in the Season Pass? I'm holding out on it, but that's also because I don't know what content is being delivered. I want that Sparrowhawk outfit, but is that not included?

Wish they'd let us know!

Check your pm's.

8bit

Knows the Score
Finding this quite buggy, already had to restart due to being stuck in a unresolvable sequence, but I've seen explosives get stuck in walls without exploding and managed to jump through a train carriage earlier. Can't help but think it could have done with a little more time. Great fun though.

Lima

I seriously can't figure out how to get back into the Gulag :/ I can get into the section leading up to the trains but nothing past. Ugh. There are a few collectibles I missed there.

There is nothing past the trains. You get attacked by a chopper and things explode and you escape. It's an action set piece.

There are no missable collectibles in this game.

There is nothing past the trains. You get attacked by a chopper and things explode and you escape. It's an action set piece.

There are no missable collectibles in this game.
There is for me. I can't complete one of the missions in the Soviet Installation, it's asking me to find 3 things in the Gulag and I've found 2 but the third is inaccessible.

Lima

There is for me. I can't complete one of the missions in the Soviet Installation, it's asking me to find 3 things in the Gulag and I've found 2 but the third is inaccessible.

No it is not. Fast travel to the camp and turn around. I assume that is the one you are missing.

Toa TAK

Banned
Wow, wow, wow. Just finished it (87% completion, 16 hours).

This is a great game. I was pretty excited for its release as I loved the first game, but I got a more than what I was expecting. The base is still there but there's a lot more to do in terms of upgrading gear and exploration. The tombs and general gunplay is still pretty easy, even on Survivor (which should be the default difficulty, I might add) but still fun to the point where you're not gliding through the gunfights and enemies at least try to sniff you out. The added stealth mechanics are the best features in the game. It's so much more rewarding to sneak around and silently take out foes instead of wasting as much time in a gunfight.

The environments are great, too. Just when you're about to be sick of the snow, something new opens up and suddenly breathes fresh air into the setting. Even the tombs themselves, just like the last game, offer a variety of different locales within the game. Still waiting on them to go full survival-horror, though, as they've teased it here and in the previous Tomb Raider. They can do those creepy and unsettling environments without a problem it seems.

Story is better here, too. Even if the characters are just as flat as the original, everyone's relationship with each other really drive the events of the game, so that slant on the plot is what ultimately makes it interesting to see through. Thankfully, the story doesn't fall on its face or is any more underwhelming than the basic set-up. Lara continuing to develop and grow still makes this the better incarnation of her yet.

But I got to ask everyone here who beat the game already:
Did you shoot Konstatine or just walk away? I walked away from the crazy guy thinking he wasn't worth the time and was already defeated anyways (luckily the game agreed). Wonder what happens if you shoot him.

Haven't touched the extra modes in the game, and probably won't until I 100%, but after being let down in some aspects by MGSV, Halo 5, CODBOII, Arkham Knight, and so forth, I feel pretty comfortable calling this my personal Game of the Year.

It's called "Broken Tracks". Don't know how that will help you find it though.
I just got it, thank you. I can move on now!

Hey guys, I could use some help... I'm missing three coin cashes in Geothermal Valley (marked with red dot on the map below) and they just won't show up, not sure what else to do to get them.

23050549066_8c35748ac0_o.png

Anyone had similar problem or know what to do please let me know. I have everything done there except one mission for all the tombs and those 3 missing cash cashes.

Xemnas89

So I finished this earlier today. I think it's an improvement in every way over the first and was kind of sad to see it end. I really enjoyed the optional tombs even more this time around and yearn for the next one to have more stuff like that in the main areas. I'm also a huge fan of snow environments so the fact that most of this game is in the snow was great.

hawk2025

Man, even the obligatory "tomb" in the main campaign about halfway through is better than sny of the optional ones in 2013.

That area was great and quite large!

Hey guys, I could use some help... I'm missing three coin cashes in Geothermal Valley (marked with red dot on the map below) and they just won't show up, not sure what else to do to get them.

23050549066_8c35748ac0_o.png

Anyone had similar problem or know what to do please let me know. I have everything done there except one mission for all the tombs and those 3 missing cash cashes.

Do you have the Archivist Map and cheched the Monolith?

Jumeira

Banned
God damn i just made it to then 2nd base, the sense of discovery and adventure cannot be emphasised enough, this is what TR should have been all this time. It really is the right direction for this series, best TR so far. CD carefully ease you into these epic, grand structures, and all i can think about is "My god is THAT my playground?".

Ive taken far too many screens haha. Gorgeous game.

DirtyLarry

So I saw someone post about this earlier and I was not seeing the issue, but now all of a sudden I am.

Specifically at the section in the Russian Base where
you get captured and lose everything
all of a sudden all of the voice overs are fucked.
I can hear them ever so slightly in my rear speakers. If I change the audio to 2 channel on my receiver they are crystal clear.
I thought perhaps it was just the cut scene, but nope, also happening in game.

I just restarted my One to see if it helped anything, but this definitely kind of sucks, especially since the voices were fine up until this point in the game.

EDIT - Nevermind. Apparently my wife was a little over zealous when cleaning our entertainment center and pulled out one of the wires to my center speaker.
False Alarm.

are any of the cut scenes pre-rendered on Xbox one ?(discounting Visual Works CG obviously)
One or two of them are. The first cutscene which has Jonah and Lara with a camp behind them is pre-rendered, as is the start of the London cutscene (it switches to real time once Lara gets inside). Didn't really notice any later on though.
I don't think so (about 60% in), but the lighting is often very different, so it might seem that way.
The real time cutscenes feature much better lighting than gameplay so it's a bit jarring sometimes but they're not pre-rendered. Lara's outfit is always reflected in them properly, for example.

But yeah, there's one or two bits where the cutscene ends and the lighting in the same area is vastly different. Games like TW3 do it well, with cutscene lighting being similar to (but still better) than the ambient lighting during gameplay in the same area.

HeelPower

My friend's playing on 360 and he wants to attest that the game has pre-rendered cutscenes and is not very impressive visually.

obviously he's playing the butchered version and I am trying to tell him that.He doesn't agree.

I am thinking 360 does have pre-rendered cutscenes.maybe.

Syriel

But I got to ask everyone here who beat the game already:
Did you shoot Konstatine or just walk away? I walked away from the crazy guy thinking he wasn't worth the time and was already defeated anyways (luckily the game agreed). Wonder what happens if you shoot him.

You have a choice there?

I shot him. Got an after credits scene with Lara and Ana. Ana gets shot and killed by a long range sniper. Was assuming Trinity cleaning up loose ends.

My friend's playing on 360 and he wants to attest that the game has pre-rendered cutscenes and is not very impressive visually.

obviously he's playing the butchered version and I am trying to tell him that.He doesn't agree.

360 does. They're pre-rendered cutscenes captured from the XB1 version, and they are apparently quite compressed according to Digital Foundry.

You have a choice there?

I shot him. Got an after credits scene with Lara and Ana. Ana gets shot and killed by a long range sniper. Was assuming Trinity cleaning up loose ends.
That doesn't change but yes,
you do have a choice. I just walked away as well.

hawk2025

The 360 version definitely does, it pre-renders the Xbox One cutscenes.

It's not a butchered version, by the way. It even fixes the input lag of the main version.

Toa TAK

Banned
You have a choice there?

Yup.
I didn't think there was one, either, but I just walked away and to my pleasant surprise they gave you a choice. The after-credits shouldn't change, though, I got the same thing. Really hope we get a third Tomb Raider after this. :(

HeelPower

The 360 version definitely does, it pre-renders the Xbox One cutscenes.

It's not a butchered version, by the way. It even fixes the input lag of the main version.

well,surely you can't disparage the game's visuals based on the 360 version,even if its a technically competent version of the game.

jackdoe

Just did the "God's Voice" optional tomb. It's probably the worst one yet and feels very derivative of one of the tombs from the Tomb Raider reboot (done worse, I might add). Hopefully, this is the worst tomb in the game.

Also, combat is definitely this game's weakest point. And I cannot believe that they thought including ultra fast, ultra aggressive wolves in the game without including some sort of run and gun option was a good idea.

ZQQLANDER

Just did the "God's Voice" optional tomb. It's probably the worst one yet and feels very derivative of one of the tombs from the Tomb Raider reboot (done worse, I might add). Hopefully, this is the worst tomb in the game.

Also, combat is definitely this game's weakest point. And I cannot believe that they thought including ultra fast, ultra aggressive wolves in the game without including some sort of run and gun option was a good idea.

Puzzle wise, yeah I thought God's voice was the weakest I've done. I thought the scenery was great though.

The one thing that grinds my gears though is the "tomb is nearby" tone. You can actually be fairly fair from the entrance to get to the tomb when the tone chimes/ message shows on the screen. Just completely disregarding now.

JayB1920

I kind of liked that one. It was better than the first one at least and another one in the middle of the game imo. Only one in the original that was of comparable quality to any of these was flooded vault. Pit of Judgement, Ancient Cistern and Baths of Kitezh are easily my favorites though .

Miljinor

I purchased this yesterday at Best Buy and then snagged the season pass last night. For some reason I don't see the season pass as installed from the store view but it shows as purchased and I'm prompted to the manage screen. From within the game under marketplace I select season pass and then it'll ask me do I wish to install but then it goes to the manage screen with nothing there.

Any tips or ideas?

malfcn

Just did God's Voice. It was annoying because I solved it in a minute, but the timing was the challenge. Because I thought I did it right and nothing happened, I started experimenting until I went back to my original plan.

Buying my copy this week. Not gonna go digital either, like normal. Might be something I would want to trade in after? Looks amazing tho. Just gotta get me off fallout

IbukiLordSA

Spent last night clearing up the other areas for 100%, now I just have the Geothermal Valley to go through and don't have to worry too much about the rest, only have one thing left in Soviet Installation but will do that later.

Enjoying this game so damn much, really loving it. Still seems like there is so much for me to do so really hoping I still have a good chunk of the game to get through.

Steveo

Banned
I can't believe how good Rise of the Tomb Raider was from beginning to end. Easily a top 5 game for me this year, just oustanding. I think it's better than any of the Uncharted games, Uncharted 4 has it's work cutout.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Looking at the achievement art for "Weaponsmith - Fully upgrade one weapon", it looks like they had a concept for a more action heavy Syria start and I would have been okay with that.

109243-hi.jpg

Pug

Wolves are easily dispatched, just need to pick the correct weapon.

PaperCoyote

Neo Member
I'll try tomorrow but I tried for a good half hour last night, couldn't figure out how to get in. :/
When you fast travel to the campsite at the Gulag, turn around and walk through the snow. Turn left and walk into the water and under the debris. This will bring you a piece of railing that has fallen and formed a ladder and tada you are back in the Gulag and collecting those collectibles.

My game is bugging out at the part where
you have to shoot the generators when you fall down the hole with Anna. When I first entered the room the cutscene didn't start and then the world started disappearing so I had to kill myself. When the cutscene started Anna was standing on no floor and after you shoot the generators the game just sits there with Lara hovering in mid-air.
The only bug I came across before this was when I cut the rope to bring down a box but the box just stayed in mid-air.

Edit: WTF!! It won't let me progress.

Lima

My game is bugging out at the part where
you have to shoot the generators when you fall down the hole with Anna. When I first entered the room the cutscene didn't start and then the world started disappearing so I had to kill myself. When the cutscene started Anna was standing on no floor and after you shoot the generators the game just sits there with Lara hovering in mid-air.
The only bug I came across before this was when I cut the rope to bring down a box but the box just stayed in mid-air.

Edit: WTF!! It won't let me progress.

Congrats you have the same game breaking glitch as someone else in this thread. Even the backup save won't work as that one is also corrupt.

You have to delete and start over or wait until CD patched it.

Megatron

I have an extra sparrowhawk code.( Xb1, North America) If someone wants it quote this post and the first person can have it.

Top Bottom