• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

I really want a Porsche to win the SEMA best in show award...

If they finally get the Porsche license then I wouldn't expect them to "spoil" the announcement by having it be revealed through a SEMA winner. They'll probably roll out the red carpet like they did for Ferrari.

This would get me to buy a PS4 but I would be surprised to see this by the time this thread is 2 years old. I have absolutely no faith in PD when it comes to actually releasing their games.

Andyops

Neo Member
If they finally get the Porsche license then I wouldn't expect them to "spoil" the announcement by having it be revealed through a SEMA winner. They'll probably roll out the red carpet like they did for Ferrari.

According to this interview from June, EA's exclusive contract with Porsche will be expiring some time in 2016.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...tting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

The article said:
Touring cars also make an appearance, and Porsche will be back, too, although not until 2016—Electronic Arts still has an exclusive license for the German sports car maker until then. Negotiations between Turn 10 and EA are going well, we're told, evinced a couple of weeks ago by the arrival of a Porsche DLC pack for Forza Horizon 2.

Is GT Sport releasing in 2016? With a beta early in the year I would think so.

Yep

Racing fans, brace yourselves — this evening at the Paris Games Week PlayStation Press Conference, Kazunori Yamauchi, along with SCEE CEO & President Jim Ryan, unveiled on stage the latest Gran Turismo iteration: Gran Turismo Sport, coming to PS4 in 2016.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/27/gran-turismo-sport-coming-to-ps4-in-2016/

According to this interview from June, EA's exclusive contract with Porsche will be expiring some time in 2016.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...tting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

Let's hope so. I remember before GT5 released Kaz did an interview where he mentioned that they were having conversations with Porsche because EA's contract was about to end. By the next time he was interviewed he said talks were off because EA decided to renew the deal. The deal honestly never made any sense to me. They've never really featured the brand prominently outside of Porsche Unleashed, and that was released back in 2000. And even if they did, the brand doesn't actually sell games. No car brand does that. You would've thought the original Gran Turismo would've shown that when it managed to decimate every other racing game without Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini.

The GT Sport trailer has a lot of Porsche cars. All of them 917s. The almighty and legendary, the most important car yet to be in a GT game. IMHO.

I'd be amazed if this is just a coincidence.

Shin-Ra

Everyone's fighting to convince each other what it's going to be but it's ok to admit no-one really knows what's going to be included yet!

The GT Sport trailer has a lot of Porsche cars. All of them 917s. The almighty and legendary, the most important car yet to be in a GT game. IMHO.

I'd be amazed if this is just a coincidence.

Now that actually could be something. There's no real reason to just coincidentally include cars from them in the trailer since all the scenes seem carefully selected.

Shaneus

Now that actually could be something. There's no real reason to just coincidentally include cars from them in the trailer since all the scenes seem carefully selected.
I remember thinking the same thing for one of the Forza Motorsport trailers, that also showed a little bit of off-road footage. Pretty sure it was one of the Forzas that didn't have Porsche (and certainly didn't have off-road).

Think some of us are overthinking here :)

Yep

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/27/gran-turismo-sport-coming-to-ps4-in-2016/

Let's hope so. I remember before GT5 released Kaz did an interview where he mentioned that they were having conversations with Porsche because EA's contract was about to end. By the next time he was interviewed he said talks were off because EA decided to renew the deal. The deal honestly never made any sense to me. They've never really featured the brand prominently outside of Porsche Unleashed, and that was released back in 2000. And even if they did, the brand doesn't actually sell games. No car brand does that. You would've thought the original Gran Turismo would've shown that when it managed to decimate every other racing game without Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini.
Word over at GT Planet was that Porsche give no shits about video games, are happy with their deal with EA, and are content to let EA sub-license the cars to other devs, or not, as they see fit.

Word over at GT Planet was that Porsche give no shits about video games, are happy with their deal with EA, and are content to let EA sub-license the cars to other devs, or not, as they see fit.

I mean, for Porsche, it's basically money for almost no effort, so the only reason they'd change that is if someone else was able to convince them that there's more money on the table from licensing to everyone than just EA. And even if someone attempted to do that, EA has enough money that they could just pay Porsche whatever the other games are offering for the exclusivity, and then try to negotiate with whomever Porsche was negotiating with.

I really want a Porsche to win the SEMA best in show award...
He needs to select a RAUH-Welt Begriff
photo_1_rauh_welt_begriff_porsche_930_911_turbo_1_41819_original.jpg

or
Singer

Mascot

Turn 10 prick-teased night and weather in promotional material for almost a decade before finally half-assing them this year. Do PD have a history of this type of thing?

Pophead

Video translation thanks to Faggotbird over on Reddit:

Q:Why did you choose 'sport'? (the first part of the answer is cut-off) Whether it's the graphics, physics, handling, or the sound design, you can achieve a big evolution forwards on what you used to. But I don't think just that would be enough. I want it to be completely different from the Gran Turismo we have seen up until now, want it to be a new step forward. The answer to that problem was to completely redesign the motorsports we are used to.

Title card: What kinds of players are you envisaging with Gran Turismo Sport?
We say 7 to 77, talking about the age range. In short, everybody. From children to the elderly, anybody can enjoy it. Real motor sports is not like that. We want to do things you can not achieve in real sports. We don't want Gran Turismo Sorts to be only played by incredibly good players, or people who love Gran Turismo, we want it to be enjoyable even for people who have never played a racing game before. We made it with those thoughts in mind.

What about the partnership with the FIA?
The International Federation of Motorsport has already been around for over a hundred years. However, they do not expect motorsport to carry on in the same fashion it has up until now. So we and the FIA entered an agreement to design the next 100 years of Motorsport. With the Gran Turismo Series, we were aways focused on continuing to make history with it. And with Sports, we want to to create a new future for motorsports, that is the idea behind it. It's very exciting.
That's what Yamauchi was talking about.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Difference in textures, shaders, lighting and geometry is pretty clear. Might want to open it in new tap to see it at full size.

There's no question that GT Sport will look incredible, hell the stitches on the steering wheel and the texture of the center of it looks incredible.

It's just that the comparison fails because it's using two different interiors.

pottuvoi

Banned
I thought GT6 had tesselation, so why are there lots of rough angled polygons in the interior in that comparison pic?
Because tessellating into really small or sub-pixel polygon sizes reduce the rendering performance due to increased and redundant shader load. (Due to way GPUs shade polygons in quads it has to do work that will not contribute to final image.)
Also tesselating polygon to smaller causes extra vertexes which cause additional load to vertex shaders which were quite crappy in RSX as well.

Links for quad fragment shading problem.
https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/a-trip-through-the-graphics-pipeline-2011-part-8/
http://blog.selfshadow.com/2012/11/12/counting-quads/
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/fragmerging/shade_sig10.pdf (.PDF)

pottuvoi

Banned
It does. It would probably look even rougher without it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=100175714
In pre-tesselated mesh circle is most likely octagon. (Gt5 models would use more pre-tesselated triangle based model.)

One of the bigt advantage for using tesselation in Gt6 is ability to use true quads/patches when creating objects, this makes it possible to have very nice surface topology for object and it reduces all kinds of problems in shading, normals etc. (Even though final tesselated/rendered result is triangles.)

Tesselation doesn't reduce the need of seperate LoD when objects get really small as it is magnification method.

mekes

The comparison gif really takes on a different form viewed at its native size. Its a very good improvement!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Amar is it true that Porsche is getting revealed at the PSX trailer? There's been some rumors...

UfVJ7OV.gif

Considering how shitty NFS sold, and failed to make even a blip on car-gamers radars, Porsche has no use for EA's exclusivity deal any longer and will not renew it.

I'd say Gran Turismo and Porsches will finally happen.

As I mentioned earlier, the Porsche deal never made sense for EA in the first place. Car manufacturers don't sell games. And by that I mean you aren't going to see people saying "Ooh, this game has Porsche, i'm going to get it over that game". GT managed to become the biggest racing franchise without having Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. EA's just wasting money by paying Porsche whatever it takes to hold on to the license exclusively. But it's hard to blame Porsche for taking it because it's probably a good amount ofmoney.

DD

Considering how shitty NFS sold, and failed to make even a blip on car-gamers radars, Porsche has no use for EA's exclusivity deal any longer and will not renew it.

I'd say Gran Turismo and Porsches will finally happen.

Really?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Top Bottom