• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

RetroMG

I65A7G8.jpg

RetroMG

We've had a report of another murder, listeners. John Peters, you know, the Farmer? He reported that he was supposed to meet Boo Boo'n at the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Fun Complex last night to prepare for their upcoming match against the team from the people who huddle behind the Ralph's. However, when he went to pick Boo Boo'n up, he found Boo's smoking remains burning in the grass of his front lawn. Forensic experts at the Sherrif's Secret Police state that the victim was stabbed eight to ten times before he died, and was set on fire after. "Or he might have been set on fire before," the forensics expert shrugged. "Does it really matter? The guy's dead."

Boo Boo'n, An Ordinary Citizen of Night Vale, has died.

Welcome!

You are an Ordinary Citizen of Night Vale

(That means you aren't special enough to have a power role.)

You are aligned with Night Vale (That's the Town)

Who knows what horrors drove you to this little desert community. You can make up your own story. I won't contradict you in front of the other radio personalities. Honest.

You do not have any actions. You can vote, though, and your vote is your power! Use it wisely, Listener.

You win when no more Mafia aligned players remain.

Have fun!

The Day phase continues. You can go about your business. Move along.

I also want to point out that Scrafty has barely shown any intitiative but rather parroted (and still parrots) other players, especially Sorian. It looks like she is proactive but in reality there aren't really many original thoughts.

Going to bed now. See you tomorrow.

Oh my gawd, that is like, so rude! I like, independently suspected gryvan yesterday and like, started the discussion on Pop today. It's like, totally unfab to invent narratives, shaka brah.

Sorian

Banned
IT WAS A JOKE RETRO, JESUS

Alright, so we have someone who can secretly day kill. Royal_Flush, you're the authority on these types of murders right? :p

For new players, we've had this once, the player who could do it was scum-aligned but was cut off from the main contingent so did not have access to scum chat. They could only do one day kill and that was it for their power. Might be the same case here, might be totally different.

Dear Diary,

It like, happened during the day this time.

Poor Boo Boo'n got like, totally killed off while we were busy arguing. That's like, pretty heavy.

Sorian was worried that he'd like, be the one to go, and to be honest I like, kind of was too. He's kinda, like, a pillar of discussion.

Who coulda done such a like, treacherous thing? D'ya think it was like, Unmasked Ferret, who was worried about Boo Boo'n getting like, too close to the truth?

Oh, and that Pop guy hasn't like shown up yet so I think that I'l like, nudge him a bit. It's soooooo not cool to keep everyone waiting.

Love and peace,

Lucy "Scrafty" Diablos

OOXX

Ty4on

I'm gonna guess the latter, because if its amodkill, retro would do Modkill: <insert persons name> to everyone

I don't know how to post gifs so
thereitis.gif

Use an image tag
Or quote someone else's gif
I can not post them &#128542;

gryvan

Now the question is...why did Boo Boo get killed?

the past 2 pages was basically an argument between ferret and Boo Boo and nothing else (might have to recheck previous pages)

So unless either

a) scum trying to distract us and target ferret to be lynched?

or

b) ferret was the ability user aligned to scum and got sick of arguing with Boo Boo?

anyone wanna take a gander at theories?

Mazre

Yeesh....anyways....back to the train of thought I was on prior to refreshing the thread and finding a new victim.

Re: tl21xx

I think the group has pretty well covered the topic so far. I'm personally inclined to believe the troublemaker portion of the claim, that portion would at least seem to make poor basis for a bluff (at least for any sort of long term play.) Unfortunately, that alone doesn't confirm tl21xx's alignment. Odds are better that he's town but we can't clear him completely. For now we're stuck waiting to see how things unfold.

Sorian

Banned
What joke?

My post after he said standby:

Did I get day killed again?

I didn't think it was actually going to be a day kill, I figured he was going to announce something but not a player removal.

the past 2 pages was basically an argument between ferret and Boo Boo and nothing else (might have to recheck previous pages)

So unless either

or

b) ferret was the ability user aligned to scum and got sick of arguing with Boo Boo?

Boo Boo'N also had his vote on Mike so keep that in mind. I get the feeling this was a reverse psychology play though, like a "oh Boo Boo'N has been suspecting this person so if he dies right now people might continue pressing that vote because they think this day kill was to protect said person."

TL21xx

Banned
I'll elaborate on my situation to put you more at ease once I'm off mobile Gryvan.

Here's a question:

TL21xx, if you die in the same night phase that you use your power, do we still lynch two people the next day? Don't come back with an I don't know, PM Retro and report back with the answer.

If I die, it doesn't trigger. The speech begins at the beginning of the next day.

Sorian

Banned
Not sure if it's significant but Booboo'n was reported dead just shy of 6 hours after start of the phase.

Actually to be fair, I got all caught up in the timing of the death that I didn't weigh all of the options. There is nothing to say that this was a day kill. It could have been a night kill with a delayed reaction. Maybe it's set to go off right at that certain time, maybe the killer gets to choose, maybe it is just random to Retro's discretion.

Trigger

Wow, we've lost four townies already. I think Boo Boo was a distraction kill. He wasn't applying enough heat to anyone to be an immediate threat I think.

gryvan

Wow, we've lost four townies already. I think Boo Boo was a distraction kill. He wasn't applying enough heat to anyone to be an immediate threat I think.

.....umm....so i'm assuming 4th person will be a potential victim that will probably be me in the future because you have the ability of premonition?

????

squidyj

If I was mafia with a day kill I'd probably just kill sorian because who knows when I'd be able to do it at night?
The only reason to target boo boo as scum would be if you thought he was a role.

squidyj

It's kind of weird though, If I'm understanding the John Peters claim correctly we have a day vigi and a night vigi?

Sorian

Banned
If I was mafia with a day kill I'd probably just kill sorian because who knows when I'd be able to do it at night?
The only reason to target boo boo as scum would be if you thought he was a role.

Really, because he was certainly being a thorn in a couple of people's sides. I think discounting this kill is just asking for trouble. The real issue though is was he killed last night or today while we were talking? We can't get an answer to that and that's what hurts us figuring out scum, for now.

So I've been home and just got caught up and

Boo Boo'n, An Ordinary Citizen of Night Vale, has died.

No Boo Boo'n! I know we had our differences but I didn't want it to end like this!

So unless either

or

Although saying so doesn't exactly clear me, I didn't kill Boo Boo'n.

I also don't necessarily think that scum intended for me to become targeted after the death, it's too obvious of a plan, since outside of myself and recently Mike Boo Boo never voted for anyone else I think. He also never provided a full read list, just a short list of those he found somewhat suspicious. UltraJay, ScraftyDevil,and Sorian were the remaining ones on his list after myself and Darklighter.

Sorian

Banned
It's kind of weird though, If I'm understanding the John Peters claim correctly we have a day vigi and a night vigi?

You're understanding it wrong, TL21xx is claiming to be like the troublemaker from AC, forcing tomorrow to be a double lynch. Also, I would be careful to call whatever killed Boo Boo'N a vigi.

I know that why Fireblend was targeted instead of Sorian was brought up earlier, but I want to provide another idea about it that wasn't mentioned before.

Sorian is a good cover for the mafia, I know quite a few people see Sorian as town but Sorians play style makes it difficult to tell whether or not he is. It is very hard to tiscern Town Sorian from Neutral Sorian or Scum Sorian, so even if most everyone is sure of Sorian at the moment that may not always be the case.

Sorian

Banned
I know that why Fireblend was targeted instead of Sorian was brought up earlier, but I want to provide another idea about it that wasn't mentioned before.

Sorian is a good cover for the mafia, I know quite a few people see Sorian as town but Sorians play style makes it difficult to tell whether or not he is. It is very hard to tiscern Town Sorian from Neutral Sorian or Scum Sorian, so even if most everyone is sure of Sorian at the moment that may not always be the case.

Why, yes it is! Thank you for the compliment.

It is certainly an idea but if I'm scum, I'll have to slip up eventually.

Dammit I meant to preview that not submit it.

Anyway, if the games I read with Sorian are any indicator (NX and one other that he may not have actually been in, it was on an island) people sometimes go back and forth on Sorian without ever really coming to a full consensus; since most people who view him as a threat mostly do so because of how he contributes to keeping the discussion going which is also why most people view him as a positive. So while on the whole Sorian is a positive, there is always some suspicion that scum can hide behind and use to try and have us waste a day discussing/lynching him.

Coppanuva

Does fire factor into Night Vale any? The first thing I thought when I saw that portion of the death flavor is we have an Arsonist. The only thing that seems odd about it is that role typically has a notifier to the afflicted, like they smell of gasoline, which he never brought up. He did post earlier during this phase so it's not like he didn't have an opportunity to bring it up which shoots a big hole in that theory, but it is possible he just didn't mention it and the attacker wanted to silence him before he could notify anyone of the fact.

At the same time, I don't see how else silencing him this early in the phase would benefit whoever killed him unless they were trying to hide information.

Sorian

Banned
Dammit I meant to preview that not submit it.

Anyway, if the games I read with Sorian are any indicator (NX and one other that he may not have actually been in, it was on an island) people sometimes go back and forth on Sorian without ever really coming to a full consensus; since most people who view him as a threat mostly do so because of how he contributes to keeping the discussion going which is also why most people view him as a positive. So while on the whole Sorian is a positive, there is always some suspicion that scum can hide behind and use to try and have us waste a day discussing/lynching him.

To answer this a little bit better from my last post. Yes, you are right, scum will probably try to eventually use me as a lynch candidate, we'll see what happens when they try. I've never been lynched and I highly doubt this is the game that will pull it off but it'll at least be fun once the ground starts shaking.

Does fire factor into Night Vale any? The first thing I thought when I saw that portion of the death flavor is we have an Arsonist. The only thing that seems odd about it is that role typically has a notifier to the afflicted, like they smell of gasoline, which he never brought up. He did post earlier during this phase so it's not like he didn't have an opportunity to bring it up which shoots a big hole in that theory, but it is possible he just didn't mention it and the attacker wanted to silence him before he could notify anyone of the fact.

At the same time, I don't see how else silencing him this early in the phase would benefit whoever killed him unless they were trying to hide information.

I don't think so? I've never really been sure exactly what the smiling god is but I've always imagined like a big ball of fire/a sun so I guess that if anything. This doesn't seem like an arsonist though because they have to spend each night either marking or killing all marked and this was a death that happened during the day phase.

Arsonists, of course, don't have to be fire though, I mean Palmer did the same thing in MGS but with bombs.

Coppanuva

I have a theory though.

I think there was a reason they couldn't pick Sorian over Fireblend. Sorian and Fireblend are both really active posters. However, Sorian was very aggressive on questioning a fare amount of people about their actions. If Sorian was knocked out on day 1, people would sift through his old posts and find the people that Sorian targeted and we would be completely distracted and focused only on those people.

But this is also a double edge sword that benefits town a bit.

Since Sorian did not get picked, IN MY OPINION, I assume there is at least 1 scum that Sorian did call out on Day 1. Because of this, they did not target Sorian so that we, the night vale citizens, would not be suspicious and focus on certain people that Sorian did call out. I don't remember how much fireblend called out people (I didn't check previous post cause I have work soon) hence he was a safer bet for scum to kill.

I was going through logic behind this post and the bold part made me notice something:

Fireblend had the following suspect list based on his reads:

Ferret (specifically: "He's gonna be a null read for me but not in a good way")
Seath (the ordinary claim)
Mike_Hawk (for protecting Seath)

Setre (maybe? I can't tell if he's suspicious here or not).

Boo Boo'n had suspicions on:
Ferret
Sorian

I couldn't find any suspicions he cast on anyone else (if I missed one please point it out to me), but the only one in common is Ferret. I'd like to know what Ferret thinks happened here. Specifically: Do you think there's any link between these 2 dying or not?

VOTE: Unmasked Ferret

Sorian

Banned
Well since Ty4on is targeted, a good start to look into would be the people he voted for and suspected, which is:

Mike Hawk's here now, and isn't...really taking the haiku stuff to heart. So uh.

I think, just for now I'll put my vote on him.

VOTE: Mike_Hawk689

Boo Boo'n started throwing shade at Mike during this phase too.

I was going through logic behind this post and the bold part made me notice something:

Fireblend had the following suspect list based on his reads:

Ferret (specifically: "He's gonna be a null read for me but not in a good way")
Seath (the ordinary claim)
Mike_Hawk (for protecting Seath)

Setre (maybe? I can't tell if he's suspicious here or not).

Boo Boo'n had suspicions on:
Ferret
Sorian

I couldn't find any suspicions he cast on anyone else (if I missed one please point it out to me), but the only one in common is Ferret. I'd like to know what Ferret thinks happened here. Specifically: Do you think there's any link between these 2 dying or not?

VOTE: Unmasked Ferret

I actually don't think that there is a link in their deaths. I'm going to exclude the thought of neutrals for this but there is a decent chance that neutrals have a role in at least one of their deaths.

Anyway if we just assume both deaths are scum related then the Fireblend and Boo Boo'n don't really have any sort of connection besides some suspicion on me (and Boo Boo's recent suspicion of Mike). In fact the two could be seen as somewhat opposite. Fireblend is what a lot of us consider one of the town leaders, along with you and Sorian, while Boo Boo'n was someone who posted not quite under the radar but wasn't exactly the most visible. Fireblend was probably killed because it was a way to attempt to stifle discussion with one of the most prominent voices gone. Boo Boo'n was probably killed because his death would lead to very few very specific leads making it a fairly safe option that leads to no real information from town.

Ok I changed my mind I will have a thing about neutrals here.

Now if a neutral was involved in at least one death then it makes it harder to tell. A neutral would probably target Fireblend for the same reason as scum, maybe with some added personal fear of him being the most likely to detect said neutral. I don't have any idea why a neutral would target Boo Boo'n. Maybe because Boo Boo was suspicious of that person or because Boo Boo threw out so few suspicions that the killer felt perfectly safe targeting Boo Boo in that it wouldn't create any leads.

So no I don't think there was a link.

UltraJay

Wow. Waking up to two new pages (on 100ppp) and this happens? Damn.

Okay, in line with what others have been saying, there are some questions:

• When did this occur?
  • Why did this occur?
  • Should we even go for Ferret as the suspect or is that just Obsfucation?

Coppa jumping immediately on Ferret strikes me as odd. Either he is looking for discussion on his thoughts or is using him as a scapegoat. I'll know more if he gets off Ferret soon - though me bringing this up may cause him to do so as well.

We need to find out if this is a vigilante, a serial killer, or a one-shot. I'm thinking it is SK based on being stabbed multiple times as well, but I could just be reading too much into the flavor. If I do that with Boo Boo'n's death then I'll want to look at why exactly Fire was "drained" of all his blood. Unless that death scene is straight outta a podcast that may shed light on the methods of scum/who their identity is? Then again, it doesn't really tell us anything and would cause us (or just me -_-) to look too much into every one of Retro's posts to see if he has hidden anything in them.

I see this death connection as being pretty light. Looks like two different threads that just so happen to overlap. We need to be careful not to jump to conclusions if that is where they WANT us to jump.

Well, I am expecting most of the discussion to die out now that I've woken up and everyone else goes to bed.

UltraJay

An hour and a half since last post? I knew it. Hopefully somebody stays up late tonight.

We'll see if Coppa changes his mind now that Ferret has responded.

Sorian

Banned
Wow. Waking up to two new pages (on 100ppp) and this happens? Damn.

Okay, in line with what others have been saying, there are some questions:

• When did this occur?
  • Why did this occur?
  • Should we even go for Ferret as the suspect or is that just Obsfucation?

Coppa jumping immediately on Ferret strikes me as odd. Either he is looking for discussion on his thoughts or is using him as a scapegoat. I'll know more if he gets off Ferret soon - though me bringing this up may cause him to do so as well.

We need to find out if this is a vigilante, a serial killer, or a one-shot. I'm thinking it is SK based on being stabbed multiple times as well, but I could just be reading too much into the flavor. If I do that with Boo Boo'n's death then I'll want to look at why exactly Fire was "drained" of all his blood. Unless that death scene is straight outta a podcast that may shed light on the methods of scum/who their identity is? Then again, it doesn't really tell us anything and would cause us (or just me -_-) to look too much into every one of Retro's posts to see if he has hidden anything in them.

I see this death connection as being pretty light. Looks like two different threads that just so happen to overlap. We need to be careful not to jump to conclusions if that is where they WANT us to jump.

Well, I am expecting most of the discussion to die out now that I've woken up and everyone else goes to bed.

I'm pretty sure you are reading too much into the flavor. I highly doubt the cause of death that Retro listed has anything to do with what killed them.

That being said, I doubt this is a vigilante because they usually have to do their kill command publicly (during day time) so I'm sure this is a neutral or scum power. As for whether it is one shot or not, well that depends on if this was a day kill or a delayed night kill. If it happened last night and the actual death was just delayed, this is probably a multi-shot. If this was done during the day, I would guess one shot maybe two shot.

Sorian

Banned
Also Coppa can speak for himself but I have no doubt that he is town at this point (maybe a little just from that twinge of uncertainty) so I highly doubt that his chasing of Ferret is malicious in anyway. Ferret is a sketchy dude and there is a real conversation to be had there.

1. RIP Fireblend.

2. RIP Boo boo wtf the fuck

3. Haikus: my guess is scum power with a downside if he messes up. Maybe he dies, maybe he doesn't get to vote, maybe it's a couple other things. I don't see this is a town power.

4. Boo boo. I'm going to throw out that it's possible that TL21xx is the scum with the day phase kill, using it because he knows he can't follow through tonight on his promise to use his power. Keep in mind I am not suggesting I believe this, just that it is a possibility.

5. If there's a blocker on the scum team and TL is telling the truth, they could block him tonight in hopes that he is lynched tomorrow for failing to deliver.

6. We can't be certain that there isn't another night phase killer, depending on what PRs town has. A doctor, blocker or switcher could have saved someone last night. Occam suggests that none of that happened and we just had a single scum night kill, but I like to keep the possibility in the back of my ind.

7. in case some didn't see my post in the (apparently) old recruitment thread, I apologize for not getting at least 1 more post in before the deadline. I got stuck in a 4 hour meeting with two different legal teams. It's actually less fun than it sounds.

Sorian

Banned
3. Haikus: my guess is scum power with a downside if he messes up. Maybe he dies, maybe he doesn't get to vote, maybe it's a couple other things. I don't see this is a town power.

He has already claimed that if he fails haiku then he is roleblocked tonight, if he is an ordinary then he can't vote today instead.

He has already claimed that if he fails haiku then he is roleblocked tonight, if he is an ordinary then he can't vote today instead.

Ah, I was trying not to bring up the "roleblocked tonight" part because I didn't realize if he wasn't a PR it simply prevented the vote.

I didn't want to repeat my DR mistakes!

UltraJay

Are we really certain that haiku is a town power? Being roleblocked if they don't adhere to it sounds too malicious to have a townie want to use it - even if they wanted to see what it was like. There is still the possibility that it is a side-effect of a beneficial power. In that case, the haiku curse may be randomly assigned after the power is used.

There's also the case that Ty4on was targeted for being slightly scummy with a low post count.

squidyj

Are we really certain that haiku is a town power? Being roleblocked if they don't adhere to it sounds too malicious to have a townie want to use it - even if they wanted to see what it was like. There is still the possibility that it is a side-effect of a beneficial power. In that case, the haiku curse may be randomly assigned after the power is used.

There's also the case that Ty4on was targeted for being slightly scummy with a low post count.

who said haiku was a town power? where did you get that? It's almost certainly not a town power.

Top Bottom