• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

RetroMG

Night Vale Awards!

Town MVP - ScraftyDevil, the like, totally fab investigator
It was obviously a close call between Scrafty and Sorian. Sorian found Mazre, but Scrafty took down Razmos. Sorian led the lynch on Squidyj, but Scrafty fought hard to lynch Karu. In the end, however, Sorian (albeit unwittingly) fed Mazre to the Serial Killer, UltraJay, and chose to do the same to Karu. Scrafty, however, kept the Town's win condition in sight at all times.

Neutral MVP - Sorian, Friend to Neutrals
How does a town player win Neutral MVP? Sorian invited UltraJay to his gossip chat, where he revealed his suspicions that Mazre was scum, which gave Jay his first scum target. When Karu was outed as scum, Sorian fought to let Jay take the kill to fulfill his win condition. It is not unfair to say that UltraJay probably wouldn't have won without Sorian.

Scum MVP - Mazre, the Gossip
This was a hard decision. Karu survived the longest, but did so as a shadow at the edge of the game. Mazre, on the other hand, dug in and went toe to toe with Sorian each night. He was outed as scum, but that was not his fault, and he played the hand he was dealt as well as he possibly could.

The "I can't believe that worked" award for stupidest successful gambit - Sorian the Intern
In his Gossip chat, Sorian explained to his fellow players that since he was Dana, Night Vale Radio Intern, and since I was Cecil, Night Vale Radio Host, if he was killed by anything other than a lynch, I would reveal the roles and alignments of everyone in the chat in a post at the beginning of the next day phase.
I looked at this and said aloud, "There is no way anyone is going to believe that."
And yet they did.

The "Dedicated Defender" award - Setre
Setre protected Sorian all three nights of Night Vale. Even at the cost of not defending himself after revealing his role.

One True Pairing (Best Rivalry) - Squidy/Razmos
By way of apology - I was aware that Squidy and Razmos had a history, but I thought for sure that since they were technically on the same side, that it wouldn't be an issue once Squidy was recruited.

Rookie of the Game (Best Player in his First Game) - UltraJay
Winning as a Neutral in Gafia is rare. Winning as a neutral in your first Gafia game is fantastic.
Runner up - Karu

Best Mime - Darklighter
And here comes Darklighter to accept the award! What? He didn't show up? Oh.
Runners-up - Karu, AbsolutBro

Best Flavor
There was no clear winner in this category, so here are all the nominees:

Razmos' Death Message
Well Night Vale, it's been fun, but all good things must come to an end! Especially life, all life must end. That is the way of things, but fear not Night Vale, to dull the pain of our parting, I leave you a gift!

Oh I do love gifts, do you love gifts Night Vale? I hope it brightens up your day like the radiance of the Smiling God himself!

Everything dies eventually, humans, animals, trees, even planets! We should all just face death with a great big smile from ear to ear (or even further, I could help with that!).

Tonight, I hope that you die with a great big smile on your face, and while you are at it, why not donate your internal organs to the local decoration drive? It's nearing christmas time and Night Vale could sure do with being decorated with festive intestine tinsel or blood baubles! Let's make it a happy place for everyone this festive season.

And with that I say goodbye Night Vale! May the Smiling God devour you all.

Scrafty votes for Razmos in Rhyme (Note: Scrafty was not required to work the vote into her rhyme.)
Like, thank you, mystery killer guy. You've made my life totally easier.
I think I'm gonna

VOTE: Razmos

now, cuz he really can't act any sleazier.

Ty4on's Fluff Haiku (I think this is the one)
Fluff is the content
Many words, little substance
An empty defense

Fireblend's Death Message
Dear Night Vale friends: I have exciting news! I have decided to go on a trip. Or, at least, I am on a trip. To be completely clear, I'm not sure it was me who decided. And if it was, I don't remember.

One minute I was talking to Teddy Williams at the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Fun Complex, and the next I feel this odd, overwhelming presence. I look up and see this enormous dark planet... It was so close, I thought I could reach out and touch it. It was lit by no sun, but I still saw a mysterious shrouded figure stare at me from its surface. It turned and hummed. Shifting as in some sort of trance... and the next I'm in this really odd town.

I think it may be Svitz? Its name is similarly unpronounceable. Oh, how have I yearned to visit Europe! Surely I must have been inspired by the tourist that visited us a few days ago, and it just slipped my mind. Ahhh, Svitz. I have yet to see its low rolling hills, or hallucinate about anything in particular, but I've heard rumors about werewolves among some of the lovely people I've met here, so I'm sure they're coming.

I hope I can return someday to Night Vale. The scythe-wielding gentleman delivering this letter says I can't, but I won't give up hope. And if I do, dear friends, please make sure it will be to the town I remember, free of the interlopers who terrorized our town as I departed, yet full of the hooded figures who terrorized it the rest of the time. Good luck, Night Vale. Good Luck.

And the winner, (in my opinion) is Fireblend's pre-game reads list
I decided I'd get proactive and provide a reads list before the game starts. A Gafia first!

[m] StanleyPalmtree - I reviewed your post history, tax statements and both your birth and death certificates. I've got my eyes on you, all <indeterminate number> of them.
[m] UltraJay - That secret you've always kept hidden is being whispered in between every conversation you have. Listen closely.
[m] Trigger - I awoke from an unsettling dream this morning. I glanced at the clock, and realized it wasn't mine. My 8-ball says you seem trustworthy!
[m] Unmasked Ferret - Congratulations! You're in my circle of confidence. Please find chalk, and an open area big enough to fit a drawn circle with a 5 meter diameter before the game begins.
[m] Darklighter - ...My palms were sweaty, and my heart was beating as if I'd been running. Was I truly awake? This wasn't my house.
[m] Boo Boo'n - Your roleclaim is supper iffy, IMO. I've never heard of any Night Vale character called ls&#866;j&#863;f&#862;&#847;&#822;y&#795;t&#821;&#822;n&#808;&#866;sb&#866;&#795;d&#1161;&#860;&#824;v&#860;&#821;&#824;. An acceptable lynch candidate for today. Oh wait, sorry, I meant 4 weeks from now.
[m] Karu - You have been ignoring and avoiding my questions ever since this began, and that's not cool in mafia. Are you sure you gave me the right mail address?
[m] TL21xx - .krow drah si esrever ni txet gnittirW
[m] Ty4on - ...I tried to stand, but it suddenly hit me that this wasn't my body, either. In a different body, your balance is all wrong, your mind refuses to recognize its alien, wretched limbs.
[m] Pop-O-Matic - I consulted the Oracle about you. It said DROP TABLE IF EXISTS employees CASCADE;
[m] AbsolutBro - Town. or Mafia. This read was sponsored by the uncertainty of whether the life you've lived is a fulfilling one, or whether that's what you tell yourself to be able to sleep at night.
[m] Mike_Hawk689 - You say you're trustworthy, but your avatar says otherwise. The other day it was spreading some really awkward gossip about you. I'd give it a stern lecture if I were you.
[m] Mazre - The men in the black van intercepted me before I posted this and asked for my read about you. I tried to buy you some time, but I'm not sure I succeeded. Sorry.
[m] Razmos - ...Finally, I managed to incorporate myself onto a side of the bed. My memories were slipping from me. They didn't fit my brain, I could feel my thought patterns breaking up, scrambling in a futile attempt to connect with was no longer there. Then I saw him there. Staring.
[f] ScraftyDevil - The Night Vale tourism board would like to remind you that optional volunteering in the abandoned mineshaft is mandatory for all tourists. Please report with the closest hooded figure for induction. Mojitos will be provided.
[-] Seath - I'm untrustworthy of people whose names start with S by default. I asked scientists about it. Doesn't it look like a snake? They said. Snakes are dangerous, and their names start with S. Coincidence? We think not.
[m] Coppanuva - Your voting patterns betray you, you filthy, filthy commie. Such filth. Take a shower once in a while! Sheesh.
[m] squidyj - Your soft hints are leaving fur all over my clothes. Sure they're cute and cuddly, but I'm gonna make you pay for my lint roller and all this poison antidote.
[m] Sorian - Psh, Sorian. Is Sorian even a real name? Are you even real? I'll ask a hooded figure about it next time I catch one staring at me while I eat.
[m] Setre - I agree, occult numerology is a perfectly valid way to decide on your day 1 lynch. Just remember, 4 isn't an actual number. Such an amateur mistake!
[m] Fireblend - ...Finally he spoke, his eyes filled with the regret of those who have lived beyond their allotted time on this world: "and hey... thanks".
[m] gryvan - Very hard to read, particularly because I was being chased by librarians while doing so. Stay away from the librarians.
[m] Royal_Flush - Good job on taking the initiative and drawing first blood before the game started! That might have been a bit too much blood though... ok, it *was* too much. Stop it. Please. Oh God. Please stop.

It took me far more time than I anticipated to write this

Also I'm posting this before the game actually starts so that it can't be misconstrued as a hint or something - I just wanted to write more weird stuff ._.

Thing that gave the Game Runner the most Joy:
The way everyone freaked out every time I posted the "Please Stand By" sign.

RetroMG

Feel free to post any awards you feel like giving out.

I did NOT do best Persona, because while Stanley's was great, he was hardly around to do it. Personally, I liked Scrafty's, but that was also helped by the knowledge that the airheaded valley girl was secretly the smartest man in Night Vale.

Kevyt

Pretty much. Mazre's death was a gross error on my part, which I apologize for.

Sorian played completely within the rules. I didn't LIKE it, but his refusal of the curse was entirely legal, and taught me a valuable lesson.

Which was?

Night Vale Awards!
The "I can't believe that worked" award for stupidest successful gambit - Sorian the Intern
In his Gossip chat, Sorian explained to his fellow players that since he was Dana, Night Vale Radio Intern, and since I was Cecil, Night Vale Radio Host, if he was killed by anything other than a lynch, I would reveal the roles and alignments of everyone in the chat in a post at the beginning of the next day phase.
I looked at this and said aloud, "There is no way anyone is going to believe that."
And yet they did.

Sorian gonna Sorian.

Note to self: never believe Sorian, ever.

RetroMG

Which was?

Sorian gonna Sorian.

Note to self: never believe Sorian, ever.

You answered your own question!

Serious answer:

What the last day taught me was not to second guess the players. I didn't think for a second that someone would skip out of the curse and I was entirely wrong. I will plan better for it in the future.

Other lessons:

People read into everything. EVERYTHING.
Don't send Role PMs when you're tired.
Phrase things very carefully. (At the end of the game I wanted to make it so that the SK had to die too, but that wasn't how I worded the win condition.)

UltraJay

I don't know why there would be a mad dash to find Steve. Yeah, I thought it meant that a voters own role PM would be revealed but it still meant giving information that cod harm me. How would this hunt start? I would have to tell people about Steve which would alert Steve AND have people ask why I know this information. Steve doesn't want to die so he wouldn't give it up.

I kept Steve's existence close to my heart because I didn't want people to know about that whole breathing fire thing.

Seriously... I read scum chat and after attempting to kill me everyone was like, "Why was the doctor protecting UltraJay? That's a totally random choice!" Uh, yeah guys. It is. Think of any other reasons? It was a big red flashing sign to my bulletproof nature but they didn't try to cast suspicion on me. I guess everything was pretty much on fire at that point however... Heh heh.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know why there would be a mad dash to find Steve. Yeah, I thought it meant that a voters own role PM would be revealed but it still meant giving information that cod harm me. How would this hunt start? I would have to tell people about Steve which would alert Steve AND have people ask why I know this information. Steve doesn't want to die so he wouldn't give it up.

I kept Steve's existence close to my heart because I didn't want people to know about that whole breathing fire thing.

Seriously... I read scum chat and after attempting to kill me everyone was like, "Why was the doctor protecting UltraJay? That's a totally random choice!" Uh, yeah guys. It is. Think of any other reasons? It was a big red flashing sign to my bulletproof nature but they didn't try to cast suspicion on me. I guess everything was pretty much on fire at that point however... Heh heh.

Getting someone's full role PM direct from the mod is a pretty big deal. But it's something that you would have only been able to bring up if Steve actually found you, no reason to say anything about it beforehand. Basically, it was your defense if Flush started the day with ULTRAJAY IS THE SK, GET HIM!!!!!!

RetroMG

The person who recieved the "I lynched Steve Carlsberg" award got to pick any player and get a FULL readout on who they are. Yeah, that's major.

Sorian

Banned
The person who recieved the "I lynched Steve Carlsberg" award got to pick any player and get a FULL readout on who they are. Yeah, that's major.

I would have PM'd you the name of someone in another game. Just to see what you said :p

"But Retro! It says any player!"

RetroMG

I was going to do an "Island of Misfit Flavor" post, but a lot of the stuff I didn't use isn't that interesting. Obviously a lot of it was Night Vale Quotes.

This image was going to be included in the PM for whoever was forced to only post images.
ZMXOjx0.jpg

I had it in the back of my head that I would pull that out special for Sorian, but on the day, I couldn't bring myself to do it - not that it would have mattered if I did.

Note: On the day that TL21xx did his double lynch speech, one of the callers to Cecil's show was Frank Chen, which is an alias of Hiram McDaniels, the Serial Killer. That was me quietly hinting that Hiram was still out there.

I wrote a "Good Ending" and a "Bad Ending" to day 4, depending on who got lynched, but the other ending isn't nearly as interesting as the one you got. I did have a proverb for both days, but it was pretty mean, so I didn't post it. (I was having a really bad day when I wrote almost all of the D4 flavor.)

When I was first planning the game, the idea was that each day phase would be broken down into 4-5 sub phases based on the segments of Cecil's show: News, Traffic, Weather, Community Calendar, etc, and that certain roles would only be able to submit their actions during certain segments. (IE: Carlos would only be able to investigate during news. Dana would only be able to invite someone to the gossip chat during Community Calendar, etc.) I dropped it because it seemed over-complicated.

One of the original versions of the game was also going to have a map mechanic. You thought a lot of stuff was borrowed from Animal Crossing before.

Dana Cardinal and Pamela Winchell, (Mayor and Gossip,) swapped roles during the setup process, because I originally planned it based on a section of Night Vale that was much later in the series. I moved them back to avoid spoilers for those who haven't listened.

I had bigger plans for Weather, including bravely posting one of me singing, but I never got around to it. (I wasn't going to say that it was me, btw. It was just going to be a man and a women singing, "Baby it's Cold Outside." I did it for Karaoke and wound up recording it, because my wife loves that song.)

I was also supposed to post a song for Roy, but I wound up not doing weather at all during Day 4 because of all the Drama going on. (I also dropped flavor and vote posts for Day 4. Sorry.

RetroMG

Oh, I also meant to put this in at some point, because it is my favorite thing to come out of Night Vale, Ever.

Horoscopes:

Aries: Aries, you have much in common with a tree. A sadness that no one can see, or understand. Communication only through silence and wind. Skin made of wood. The way you collect sustenance through roots buried in soil. You are very, very much like a tree. Almost impossible to tell the difference.

Taurus: Taurus, today is the day that you change everything. Oh, I’m sorry. I misspoke, I’m sorry. Uh, let me try that again, OK? *Ahem* Today is the day that everything changes you. You will be completely unrecognizable. Yeah, that’s it. There ya go.

Gemini: How scared are you of centipedes, Gemini? I mean, no reason. The stars are just asking. Like, are you super super scared, because I can’t say for sure, but you’re pretty brave, right? Like, you could handle a couple of centipedes! You could handle a bunch of centipedes! Right, Gemini? No reason. I’m just asking.

Cancer: Today is an excellent day for you to demand a promotion, to approach the one that you’ve been secretly thinking about for years, to try your hand at that new hobby that you are considering. Unfortunately, it is a terrible day for getting that promotion, having that person say yes, and not injuring yourself badly on a power sander. But you should at least feel great about the attempt.

Leo: There’s just a thick, green smudge here, and the word “cryptotoxicology.” So I guess that’s a good thing, right?

Virgo: Now, wait. There are still some of you left? How did you survive the great culling of Virgos that swept through – oh! You know what? I’m sorry, that’s not ‘til next week. Sorry, I got confused there. Oh, yeah, today looks very good for you, Virgo! Maybe use this lovely day to get all your affairs in order. Just a thought.

Libra: All your dreams will come true today. Or…I mean, one of them will. You know that recurring dream where you’re chased through a house that seems like your own, but it isn’t quite, by a swarm of bees that you can’t see even though you totally know that they’re there? Well, it’s not that recurring dream, it’s the other one. And I am so, so sorry.

Scorpio: Your arms look weird. And your face is a natural irritant. And your personality leaves much to be desired, the principal desire being your immediate absence. You disgust me, Steve Carlsbe–…I mean, Scorpios? Ugh. Scorpios, right?

Sagittarius: Buy a tourniquet. The best that money can buy.

Capricorn: Today’s lucky number is imaginary! But, coincidentally, so are you, and your entire experience of the world.

Aquarius: You wanna make some money fast? I don’t know, rob somebody. Commit fraud. There’s lots of ways.

Pieces: You’ve just won another brand new car! You stare bleakly at your home filled with stacks upon stacks of new cars, occupying every possible space at impossible angles. Today’s brand new car is wheeled in and as you feel its bulk pressing up against you, taking the last bit of your home that had still been yours to live in, you feel tears hot upon your cheeks. Congratulations on your prize!

RetroMG

Per Request, here are the Curse PMs that were actually sent. The language is very vague, which is something I'll shore up in the future, since I wound up answering a dozen questions on most of them.

Ty4on - Haiku
As you lay in bed last night, you dreamed of mist, flowing in, and around, and through you. As you opened your eyes, you discovered that you were not dreaming. Great plumes of shimmering mists were flowing into your nostrils, yours ears, and into your open mouth. You tried to scream, but it was over as soon as it began.

You feel different. The world seems so right now.

Oh, that tricky mist
Has changed how you talk today.
Only Haiku now.

If you fail in this,
Your powers will be taken.
No power? No vote.

Due to the effect of another player, you must post today in haiku. (Three lines, five syllables, seven syllables, five syllables.)
If you fail to do so, any night or day actions you attempt to perform tonight will be blocked. If you do not have an action, you will be unable to vote today.

Please PM me with any questions.

Scrafty - Rhymes (With bonus flavor)
Title: You have, like, been totally targeted an' junk

As you lay in bed last night, you dreamt of mist, flowing in, and around, and through you. As you opened your eyes, you discovered that you were not dreaming. Great plumes of shimmering mists were flowing into your nostrils, yours ears, and into your open mouth. You tried to scream, but it was over as soon as it began.

You've like, been affected by groady old mist,
If I were you, girl, I'd be totally pissed.

Now all of your posts have to, like, totally rhyme.
If I had to guess, I'd say you're in for a bogus time.

Now if you don't rhyme, I'll, like, block your night role.
So making fetch rhymes should now be your main goal.

Due to the effect of another player, you must post today in rhymes. If you fail to do so, any night or day actions you attempt to perform tonight will be blocked. If you do not have an action, you will be unable to vote today.

Sorian - Song Lyrics
As you lay in bed last night, you dreamt of mist, flowing in, and around, and through you. As you opened your eyes, you discovered that you were not dreaming. Great plumes of shimmering mists were flowing into your nostrils, yours ears, and into your open mouth. You tried to scream, but it was over as soon as it began.

You may be right.
I may be crazy
But I just may be the lunatic you're looking for.
(You may be right, Billy Joel)

Due to the effect of another player, you may only post using lyrics from (reasonably) well-known songs. You must also include the name of the song and the artist if possible.

If you fail to do this, you will lose any night or day action you have until the start of the next day phase. If you do not have a night or day action, you will be unable to vote during the current day phase.

Top Bottom