• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

yoopoo said:
FYI PSP'S top selling game came in @ 150th spot. It was some shitty UBI game.

Yeah but I bet that that shitty UBI game sold a good deal more on PSN.

Joking. Don't ban me

[edit] Dammit. I guess I'm way to slow to be making sarcastic comments in a NPD thread.

Shnookums

lowlylowlycook said:
Yeah, I really don't understand how the PS3 has sold to so many people that clearly just want to buy multi-platform games. Well it makes more sense now that the price is halfway reasonable, obviously.

I guess that Sony's first party devs just have a better grasp on selling to the game reviewer/gaff reading public than for the game buying public at large.

Does it matter whether games are multi-platform or not? Beyond a certain point people just want what is popular regardless of such things.

Shnookums said:
Does it matter whether games are multi-platform or not? Beyond a certain point people just want what is popular regardless of such things.

Right but for a good while the PS3 was a considerably more expensive way to play those multi-plat games.

lowlylowlycook said:
Yeah, I really don't understand how the PS3 has sold to so many people that clearly just want to buy multi-platform games. Well it makes more sense now that the price is halfway reasonable, obviously.

I guess that Sony's first party devs just have a better grasp on selling to the game reviewer/gaff reading public than for the game buying public at large.

It's doubly odd considering how much money Sony puts into First Party development compared to, say, Microsoft, and how well those first party games are received critically.

Game2Death said:
I don't get this. Where's Motorstorm? Resistance? Hell, Jak and Daxter were huge on Ps2, so where is The Lost Frontier?

This is worse that Uncharted 2 I would say. No Psp2 i bet.

Edit: And thinking into it more, after the Psp Go bomb the chance of a Psp successor is almost zero.

Really?

I'm thinking the PSP will be the first next-gen system we're gonna see!

It's important to remember that while the PSP hasn't been very sucessfull in the west, in Japan it's definetly a very popular system, and i'm sure it has part of the handheld mindshare in that country.

I think the problem with the PSP is that it's catered towards the hardcore audience, which at least in the West, would prefer playing the same games in a big, big tv.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Same as PS3. It was $399 and is now $299.
One extra boost for Xbox360 is that it is still $100 cheaper than PS3 @ $199.

Price of entry for the PS3 started at $499 champ (if you could even find a 20 gig).

Loudninja said:
Its 1.36 million worldwide btw.

NPD has UC2 at about 650K currently (or a little more) and this is an NPD thread so the discussion is US numbers. Oh, and it launched last month at 500k not 600k. For comparison, Army of Two on just the 360 alone in March of last year sold 600k it's opening month.

Loudninja

OldJadedGamer said:
Price of entry for the PS3 started at $499 champ (if you could even find a 20 gig).

NPD has UC2 at about 650K currently (or a little more) and this is an NPD thread so the discussion is US numbers. Oh, and it launched last month at 500k not 600k. For comparison, Army of Two on just the 360 alone in March of last year sold 600k it's opening month.

Yes I know this.

JudgeN

OldJadedGamer said:
NPD has UC2 at about 650K currently (or a little more) and this is an NPD thread so the discussion is US numbers. Oh, and it launched last month at 500k not 600k. For comparison,Army of Two on just the 360 alone in March of last year sold 600k it's opening month.

Pretty sure you said this the past 5 NPD threads, we get it Sony first party game sales are terrible cause they can't out sale Army of Two (360), we get it.

FrankT

OldJadedGamer said:

~113k second month confirmed eh?

Kenaras

Surprised that neither Uncharted 2 nor Forza 3 made the top 20 this month, and surprised that Borderlands 360 did make it. I remember many posters predicting that MW2 and L4D2 would "eat Borderlands' lunch", and it would disappear off the charts. On the PAL charts, Forza 3 charted pretty highly week after week; I expected something similar to happen in the US. (Top 10 was obviously out of the question, but top 20 seemed likely.) As for Uncharted 2... I guess the franchise just doesn't have as much mainstream appeal as you'd think it would.

ReyBrujo

Sohter.Nura said:
It's important to remember that while the PSP hasn't been very sucessfull in the west, in Japan it's definetly a very popular system, and i'm sure it has part of the handheld mindshare in that country.
One thing is to sell hardware and another to sell software. Besides Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy, has another game sold over a million units in Japan?

Piracy destroyed the PSP. The PSPGo doesn't sell because it can't be pirated, that is my thought, not because digital downloading is rejected (Apple sells for iPod digitally, right? Amazon sells for Kindle digitally, right?). There is no other way to explain why software sales are so depressing.

gumshoe

Banned
I asked this question earlier in the thread, but can someone post the LTD sales of the games in the top 10 please?

I tried searching the thread to see if it was posted or not, and couldn't find anything.

faridmon

ReyBrujo said:
One thing is to sell hardware and another to sell software. Besides Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy, has another game sold over a million units in Japan?

Piracy destroyed the PSP. The PSPGo doesn't sell because it can't be pirated, that is my thought, not because digital downloading is rejected (Apple sells for iPod digitally, right? Amazon sells for Kindle digitally, right?). There is no other way to explain why software sales are so depressing.
only Monster Hunter sold beyond a million in japan.

well, the piracy is a factor, but not THE factor. mind you, the psp can be used as a music player, as a movie player, as show-off player and many thing. Its the Gamecube effect all over again.

Kenaras said:
On the PAL charts, Forza 3 charted pretty highly week after week; I expected something similar to happen in the US. (Top 10 was obviously out of the question, but top 20 seemed likely.)

It seems pretty clear that the market for racers in the US has shrunk significantly. These games are going to sell much better in Europe.

ReyBrujo

faridmon said:
only Monster Hunter sold beyond a million in japan.

well, the piracy is a factor, but not THE factor. mind you, the psp can be used as a music player, as a movie player, as show-off player and many thing. Its the Gamecube effect all over again.
Market confusion, agreed. Nintendo has always marketed their products as gaming machines, and even with the DS and Wii, they first focused their marketing as gaming machines, adding extras after reaching their gaming target. The PSP was marketed ambiguously, and failed to catch either market.

I wonder what a Sony executive would think when he has to skip over 10 or 15 pages to find the first PSP game in the list of best-selling games.

I'm glad to see Bowser's Inside Story doing well. If Nintendo could pump out games of this quality more consistently on Wii and DS I wouldn't need a HD console.

ReyBrujo said:
It may not be an astonishing success like the DS, but as far as I remember, it was moving some software occasionally, right? I remember a few success stories, like Winning Eleven and Phantasy Star Portable :eek:

I haven't been following Media Create very well, though.

fernoca

gumshoe said:
I asked this question earlier in the thread, but can someone post the LTD sales of the games in the top 10 please?

I tried searching the thread to see if it was posted or not, and couldn't find anything.
Keep in mind that from the Top 10..7 were new games, so you're basically asking LTDs for 3 games: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and Mario Kart Wii:
  • Mario Kart Wii: 7.1 million (since Apr. 2008)
  • Wii Sports Resort: 2.7 million (since July 2009)
  • Wii Fit Plus: 1.1 million (since Oct. 2009)
The numbers are a little higher, specially for Mario Kart which has been in the Top 10 since April 2008...except in September 2009 (which missed the Top 20) and October 2009 (which was #20)

ReyBrujo said:
A million is a high bar to set, unless we want to think every company other than Nintendo, Square Enix, and Capcom is Crazy Doomed. PSP does have quite a few 200+K sellers in Japan. It's the third place software seller over there, though second place for third parties.

J-Rzez

jman2050 said:
Naughty Dog needs to hurry up and make a non-shitty Jak and Daxter sequel already.

No. While Jak's were fun, Uncharted 2 proved what ND is capable of. Hopefully they're planning out Uncharted 3 as we speak, as it maybe the only game to top U2 this gen.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Same as PS3. It was $399 and is now $299.
One extra boost for Xbox360 is that it is still $100 cheaper than PS3 @ $199.

I thought PS3 was 499 and 599 when it launched. I know I paid $450 for my BC60 gb (bundle with extra controller) when it went on clearance.

edit: beaten

ZeoVGM

Banned
J-Rzez said:
No. While Jak's were fun, Uncharted 2 proved what ND is capable of. Hopefully they're planning out Uncharted 3 as we speak, as it maybe the only game to top U2 this gen.

NSMB Wii already did that. ;]

Barrett2

yoopoo said:

I don't even know what to say to this. As a new Go owner, I am floored at
the quality of some of the newer games; LBP, Pixel Junk, etc. Amazing that such a quality piece of hardware just can't seem to move any games. Hopefully the overseas success of the system + Sony hubris + secret PSN numbers can get me a good 18 months out of the Go...

gumshoe

Banned
fernoca said:
Keep in mind that from the Top 10..7 were new games, so you're basically asking LTDs for 3 games: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and Mario Kart Wii:
  • Mario Kart Wii: 7.1 million (since Apr. 2008)
  • Wii Sports Resort: 2.7 million (since July 2009)
  • Wii Fit Plus: 1.1 million (since Oct. 2009)
The numbers are a little higher, specially for Mario Kart which has been in the Top 10 since April 2008...except in September 2009 (which missed the Top 20) and October 2009 (which was #20)

Thank you!!! The Mario Kart numbers are amazing!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
reggieandTFE said:
I'm glad to see Bowser's Inside Story doing well. If Nintendo could pump out games of this quality more consistently on Wii and DS I wouldn't need a HD console.

Mario & Luigi, Spirit Tracks, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii all came out in the span of a couple months. Plus, Punch-Out, Rhythm Heaven, Fire Emblem, Professor Layton, and Excitebots earlier in the year.

They're no worse than other big publishers. They're better, to be honest.

yoopoo said:

2hqwcr8.jpg

Tobor

lawblob said:
I don't even know what to say to this. As a new Go owner, I am floored at
the quality of some of the newer games; LBP, Pixel Junk, etc. Amazing that such a quality piece of hardware just can't seem to move any games. Hopefully the overseas success of the system + Sony hubris + secret PSN numbers can get me a good 18 months out of the Go...

I desperately want to see these numbers. I know they'll be low, but the UMD numbers are non-existant.

OldJadedGamer said:

Ah, your right. I also remember that the 360 was only $299 for a short while and soon hit something like $269 or so for the core.

The high price for PS3's hardware was, and still is, justified though. Swapping disks to play Lost Odyssey sure does feel out of date.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Ah, your right. I also remember that the 360 was only $299 for a short while and soon hit something like $269 or so for the core.

The high price for PS3's hardware was, and still is, justified though. Swapping disks to play Lost Odyssey sure does feel out of date.
*didn't read all that well*

Barrett2

Tobor said:
I desperately want to see these numbers. I know they'll be low, but the UMD numbers are non-existant.

I wonder if the cheaper stuff sells decently (Dracula X, FF7, Prinny, etc.) based on impulse buying, but the full price stuff (Motorstorm, LBP, etc.) doesn't? That would be my guess. Hell, first thing I did with my Go was buy a handful of games all < $20. It's just a little scary buying a $40 game you can't re-sell without damn-well knowing you REALLY want that game.

At this point I'd almost say it would make sense for Sony to fuck retail, slash prices on PSN, and start going for that App Store impulse buying mentality.

Chris FOM

Per IGN, who for all their limits do get real NPD numbers, LittleBigPlanet was actually the top-selling PSP game for the month. It was number 107 and moved 42k units.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yoopoo said:
To be honest, despite any silver lining in Japan, I can't see any reason why Sony shouldn't just drop the PSP and move on to a new handheld at this point. The system seems to be several years past the point of salvation, and I can't imagine anything short of a new system that could seriously get them back in any kind of competitive shape.

Edit:

Chris FOM said:
Per IGN, who for all their limits do get real NPD numbers, LittleBigPlanet was actually the top-selling PSP game for the month. It was number 107 and moved 42k units.
Even taking this into account, I still stand by my earlier sentiment.

Tobor

lawblob said:
I wonder if the cheaper stuff sells decently (Dracula X, FF7, Prinny, etc.) based on impulse buying, but the full price stuff (Motorstorm, LBP, etc.) doesn't? That would be my guess. Hell, first thing I did with my Go was buy a handful of games all < $20. It's just a little scary buying a $40 game you can't re-sell without damn-well knowing you REALLY want that game.

At this point I'd almost say it would make sense for Sony to fuck retail, slash prices on PSN, and start going for that App Store impulse buying mentality.
That works for me. :lol

Narcosis

I think the problem with the PSP has just as much to do with the games focus as it does with the other issues like the pricing and piracy. No one factor is the be all reason, but when I look at alot of PSP titles I see stuff that perhaps the general public would be more interested in on PS2. People mention Little Big Planet and Pixeljunk, but in spite of however good the PSP version is, those games are already available on the PS3 for cheaper. Looking at recent store updates like the new Silent Hill game, with the amount of Wii machines that have sold and the good chance that most PSP owners probably have a PS2 in their home, what's the incentive to get the PSP version over the ones you can play on your larger TV screen with better sound?

I personally like my PSP quite a bit, but unlike DS the platform it doesn't seem to have much in the way ofdefining games that separate it from it's home console competition with features or gameplay elements that can only be done properly on the PSP. This certainly doesn't help it in any way when Sony is already letting the platform suffer with absurd price gouging on the Go and a constant mindset of $200 on the 3000 through bundling.

ReyBrujo

JoshuaJSlone said:
A million is a high bar to set, unless we want to think every company other than Nintendo, Square Enix, and Capcom is Crazy Doomed. PSP does have quite a few 200+K sellers in Japan. It's the third place software seller over there, though second place for third parties.
True enough, however it is the standard accepted measure. As a side note, can a game recover development costs with only 200k units sold? If it takes sales in more than one region to recoup costs, you are in trouble (since every region implies marketing, translation, publishing and distribution costs, even extra development costs if they need to fix bugs or fix compatibility issues).

Except in specific cases, Japanese developers sell more outside Japan than inside it. It is only natural, since the market outside is several times larger. So, being the second place for third parties is only useful to companies that do not publish outside.

Back to USA, even with the huge install base the PSP boasts, can you really sell software? A good exercise would be to count the number of times PSP games appeared in the NPD top 10.

Top Bottom