• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal

Banned
My Record after tonight's binge lapping session:
Tuned: 14th with 1'37.114 :D
Normal: 33rd with 1'49.769
Total: 21st with 3'26.88

All with the power of the all mighty DS3.:lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Animal said:

i think you should be kept away from the ds3 by a court order :p

gillFTR

I'm looking to buy a wheel before gt5, but sooner the better...I had GT5P but I sold it do me never playing(after a month straight of playing) I was also considering to buy a wheel and didn't take the plunge. Now I think I'm ready for a wheel investment. Anyone got any suggestions I'm more of a casual fan, then again I can see me playing the hell out of GT5 because I can't even stop playing the time trial demo. Looking at the driving force GT, but I am willing to spend the cash for a G27/G25, if the money is worth the extra performance for a casual.

If you're going to play GT5 a lot then drop the money on a G25/27. It's worth the extra amount. But there are some differences between them. The G27 has slightly stronger force feedback and it's quieter. The downside is that they removed the sequential shifter switch that was on the G25. And that's where the G25's main advantage comes in, it does have that sequential shifter switch. And it's also cheaper.

TheFatOne

Animal said:

Do you have any tips for a fellow DS3 user?

RedSquare

Snake:
Have you played the demo with the G27? Is the feedback abnormally strong or what? I've played Live for Speed for PC with the G27 and it was never like this.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
RedSquare said:
Snake:
Have you played the demo with the G27? Is the feedback abnormally strong or what? I've played Live for Speed for PC with the G27 and it was never like this.
the FFB strength is adjustable in the settings menu for the wheels.

Wes

venison crêpe
Animal said:

Tips and or video of you driving please senor!

gillFTR

SolidSnakex said:
If you're going to play GT5 a lot then drop the money on a G25/27. It's worth the extra amount. But there are some differences between them. The G27 has slightly stronger force feedback and it's quieter. The downside is that they removed the sequential shifter switch that was on the G25. And that's where the G25's main advantage comes in, it does have that sequential shifter switch. And it's also cheaper.

Thanks for the info the G27 is a little pricey in canada i saw a g25 in craiglisst for 80 $ but was too late so the hunt goes on :p...I think ill try to find one used if I cant before GT5 or before I crack.

offshore

This is ridiculous. For days I've been playing now and I just can't get under 1.40 :lol

I totally suck at this. Why couldn't the track have been Midfield? I'm sure that I'd be trouncing everyone on that course. :D

razu

For the first time in my racing game history I have managed to get better times with a wheel than a pad.

When I got the demo I put a few laps in with the DS3 as I couldn't be bothered to dig out the wheel and stand. When I got round to setting the dusty old Driving Force Pro up I had another session, and, as per usual, I was about a second a lap slower.

Today I had a look through the european leaderboards and spotted Kaz's laps. I thought that was cool, so I downloaded them and watched them. OMG, where I was changing down to second all the time, and first for the right-left S, he was staying in third and dipping to second for the S. Armed with this knowledge I set him as the ghost and chased him down :) I didn't get particularly close to his final times, but I killed my previous times. I suppose I could get better times with the DS3 now, but I'm going to keep at it with the wheel - more funner :)

All in all I managed to get to 410th in the european combined rankings with:

Tuned: 1'38.852
Normal: 1'50.465
Total: 3'29.317

Great demo. I hope there are events like this throughout GT5's life.

Pics of my set-up, (made the stand myself, does it show :D )...

mr_nothin

Banned
razu said:
For the first time in my racing game history I have managed to get better times with a wheel than a pad.

When I got the demo I put a few laps in with the DS3 as I couldn't be bothered to dig out the wheel and stand. When I got round to setting the dusty old Driving Force Pro up I had another session, and, as per usual, I was about a second a lap slower.

Today I had a look through the european leaderboards and spotted Kaz's laps. I thought that was cool, so I downloaded them and watched them. OMG, where I was changing down to second all the time, and first for the right-left S, he was staying in third and dipping to second for the S. Armed with this knowledge I set him as the ghost and chased him down :) I didn't get particularly close to his final times, but I killed my previous times. I suppose I could get better times with the DS3 now, but I'm going to keep at it with the wheel - more funner :)

ISO 8000? What type of DSLR do you have?

razu

LOL, it's an Olympus E-P1, and that was at ISO 100. Something must have munched the info along the way, it only goes up to ISO 6400 - but that would just be a giant noisy mess.

Az

offshore said:
This is ridiculous. For days I've been playing now and I just can't get under 1.40 :lol

I totally suck at this. Why couldn't the track have been Midfield? I'm sure that I'd be trouncing everyone on that course. :D

Stick to it, I just got under 1.40 today since I need time getting used to the wheel. If you keep on having bad laps, take a 10+ minute break and try again.

Goldrusher

razu said:

I'm sure there will be. GT5P had something even more awesome, a 15 minute time trial.

They informed you that for example next Friday, there will be a time trial event at 8pm.
You don't know the track, nor the car. At 8pm, the event opens and you have 15 minutes to give it your best shot.

mr_nothin

Banned
razu said:
LOL, it's an Olympus E-P1, and that was at ISO 100. Something must have munched the info along the way, it only goes up to ISO 6400 - but that would just be a giant noisy mess.
Haha, I was about to say...
Iso 8000 @ that resolution and being that clean would have to had been in the full-frame realm. I was thinking Canon Mark II 5d....Nikon d700...D3

And it turns out to be an Olympus :lol
No offense

EDIT:
Wow, ok...so it just looks like an old body style.
Retro cam, cool

Animal

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Do you have any tips for a fellow DS3 user?

Wes said:
Tips and or video of you driving please senor!

I've remapped my buttons early on because throttle control is impossible with the face buttons.

R2 = Gas
L2 = Brake
X = shift up
[] = shift down
Steering = left joystick

Lots and lots of practicing on smooth steering and throttle/brake. Don't try to enter the turn as aggressive as possible for that miracle sector time you'll never get. Fast but still conservative entry for an early and smooth re-acceleration as you gently straighten out of a corner.

Also my blazing fast lap in the tuned car last night happened after I had switched to front bumper camera. So far I have only been using the in-cockpit camera even though I always used the bumper cam in all previous games. I found it much easier to properly judge how much throttle I can put down while I'm in a corner while using the bumper camera.

I am on the Canadian boards under AnimalK12. Look me up in the game if you can so you can watch my replay.

I would gladly post my replays on youtube but the only movie recording device I have is an IPhone. :lol

Anyone have any other ideas as to how I can go about getting a good quality video up?

razu said:

Nice set up dude, if you don't mind can you PM me the particulars(diagram) of your set up i.e. measurements type of wood ect.... I want to make one my self. It looks great.

Chris R

gluv65 said:
Nice set up dude, if you don't mind can you PM me the particulars(diagram) of your set up i.e. measurements type of wood ect.... I want to make one my self. It looks great.
Same thing here. I REALLY need a wheel setup now :(

I bought my DFGT last night and didn't have anything to put it on. Driving with the wheel on my lap was horrible :( I'm also extremely shitty with the wheel, spinning out all over the place right now :lol

Found a nice thick slab of wood that belonged in a tv cabinet some time and put the wheel on that, but I'm still having to put that in my lap :( Did a little better, was about 2 seconds faster than my DS3 time, until I spun out in the hairpins :lol

rhfb said:
Same thing here. I REALLY need a wheel setup now :(

I bought my DFGT last night and didn't have anything to put it on. Driving with the wheel on my lap was horrible :( I'm also extremely shitty with the wheel, spinning out all over the place right now :lol

Found a nice thick slab of wood that belonged in a tv cabinet some time and put the wheel on that, but I'm still having to put that in my lap :( Did a little better, was about 2 seconds faster than my DS3 time, until I spun out in the hairpins :lol

Damn I got mine last night as well, with no set up and you're right that wheel is like trying to tame a mule.

Animal

Banned
OK guys I recorded my laps with my IPhone. I know the quality sucks but it's the best I can do at the moment to help you guys out.

Tuned Car 1'37.114

Normal Car 1'49.769

Also one more tip I forgot. Practice on Normal car till you beat your last record. Then move to tuned car and beat your last record there. Then do it all over again. The Normal car will teach you how to drive like a pro and really own the tuned car.

Az

Animal said:
OK guys I recorded my laps with my IPhone. I know the quality sucks but it's the best I can do at the moment to help you guys out.

Tuned Car 1'37.114

Normal Car 1'49.769

Also one more tip I forgot. Practice on Normal car till you beat your last record. Then move to tuned car and beat your last record there. Then do it all over again. The Normal car will teach you how to drive like a pro and really own the tuned car.

Great times my friend. I am at 1.39 with the tuned, have tons of space for improvement left.

Animal

Banned
I just improved my Normal Car lap time after over 3 hours of lapping. It was all about practicing my throttle and steering smoothness My entry speeds were lower on most corners this time around which should all encourage you to take my advice.

NEW STANDING:
Overal: 18th with 3'26.778
Tuned Car: 16th with 1'37.114
Normal Car: 28th with 1'49.664

RedSquare said:
Snake:

I think AlphaSnake is the only person that has that wheel here. I only have the G25 at the moment (probably will pick up a G27 closer to GT5's launch) and the force feedback is fine with it.

Anyway, this was brought up earlier but the paid section of GTTV is going to shutdown on the 29th. They'll still update with free content like trailers though. And the new version of GTTV will launch with GT5.

gluv65 said:
Damn I got mine last night as well, with no set up and you're right that wheel is like trying to tame a mule.

I got my DFGT today and had to take a saw to my desk to make the clamps work. But now it's pretty secure, and easy to remove when I'm not playing GT5TT.

This is my first force feedback wheel and it's suprisingly strong. I've turned it all the way to 1 until I'm used to it. I've wrecked a couple times on the long straight, because it wants to bounce around so much.
I'm still 2 seconds slower than my best DS3 time, but I'm getting the hang of it.

The biggest improvement I've noticed is having the gas pedal. It's so much easier when you can control the throttle precisely.

One thing I've noticed, I think I like the feel of running over the red/white borders with the controller better. I don't get that same feeling with the wheel. I'm pretty happy with it for only $99 though.

Chris R

My little ghetto wheel setup is finally getting me into this game. Was able to shave 2 seconds off my best DS3 time, but it still is a really bad time :lol Getting quite a bit better at not spinning out also.

And Death Dealer, you know you can take off the little bits of the clamp that make a "j" shape and turn it into a "L" shape. I didn't have anything the wheel would work with before, but now it fits just right.

Probably going to head to Home Depot next monday after all the holiday shopping bullshit has died down and buy me some wood and screws/nails/whatever :lol Just wish a really nice wheel stand had some schematics I could follow. I'm not very creative when it comes to building my own shit, but can follow someones plans pretty damn well.

DarkJC

Death Dealer said:
One thing I've noticed, I think I like the feel of running over the red/white borders with the controller better. I don't get that same feeling with the wheel. I'm pretty happy with it for only $99 though.

Yeah it really makes me wish the Logitech wheels had vibration as well as FF, I want to feel the rumble of the rumble strips on my G25.

Iknos

Animal said:

Normal Car 1'49.769

I've initially checked the top ghost when I first started but didn't like his line at all despite him being the best...so I've stayed away from checking out everyone else's.

But you got the exact same driving line and style as I do. Even down to the quick brake on Turn 11 to get more weight on your front axle and then to quickly steer right with a lot of traction.

I managed 1:50:0XX with the DFP and I felt I could do better. I've plateaued at 1:52:6XX with the P911T wheel after a good half hour of lapping.

Never really tried much of the tuned car...I think I'm sitting at 1:43 :lol I'd check the site but it's not loading for me atm.

A little update on the Mustang that won at SEMA

The game folks wasted no time. A team from Sony and Polyphony Digital, the Japan-based developer behind the Gran Turismo series, descended on Mr. Koenen’s garage last weekend to photograph the car inside and out, and to record its engine growls.

Though Mr. Koenen wasn’t awarded prize money, he was given a gold-plated PlayStation3 by Mr. Yamauchi. Mr. Koenen’s wife, Gail, said that neither she nor her husband had even played Gran Turismo, but “we certainly will now.”

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/200...mustang-is-latest-addition-to-gran-turismo-5/

razu

gluv65 said:

Cheers, it folds up too, which is nice.

I'll take some photos and measurements and host them somewhere. I'll post back with details.

Animal said:

Tuned Car 1'37.114

Normal Car 1'49.769

I thought that was a good idea for me, but i needed something different. The nuances of the two cars are different, so i find difficult to keep switching over cars... I prefer to focus on one car first... but that's just me.

Chris R

razu said:

I'll take some photos and measurements and host them somewhere. I'll post back with details.
Sweet. Will be nice to have a project to work on this next week.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
razu said:

Yes, please. I've been banned from keeping my little table in the living room to set up my wheel and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a collapsible setup.

TTG

Animal said:

Tuned Car 1'37.114

Normal Car 1'49.769

Great work. I've taken a 5 day break(hello mgs4) and fired it up again today... can't improve on my 1'37.9 for shit. I can lap in mid 38s consistently and SOMETIMES get lower than that, but that's it. The biggest difference seems to be the turn coming out of the long U turn. Apparently my exit speed is down there as the ghost I'm following just walks away on the straight following that. I must be losing half a second there, my exit speed out of the 2 last tight corners is no good either.

I may go back to shave another .3 seconds off to get ahead of Yamaouchi, but that's it. It's gotten more and more frustrating in the last couple of sessions.

nextwish

Kaz attended the AGS2009 show in Hong Kong today. He did a quick presentation, followed by a Toyota race challenge with a crowd volunteer. Not sure if any of this info is new, but thought you guys might be interested to see anyways.

4212198325_51bd8b6a1a.jpg

4212962254_7f95909bac.jpg

4212962300_cff92ff0a2.jpg

4212962352_0d4c87db56.jpg

4212962396_3e7be798b4.jpg

4212198069_6909e71016.jpg

4212962482_fd04efdb5c.jpg

4212198181_0b64ed774f.jpg

4212198239_04364e8e1a.jpg

Can anyone make out where that FT86 is parked in the first picture? If so then we might be able to figure out a new course since those little locations that they create are near a track that's in the game.

Schrade

nextwish said:
Kaz attended the AGS2009 show in Hong Kong today. He did a quick presentation, followed by a Toyota race challenge with a crowd volunteer. Not sure if any of this info is new, but thought you guys might be interested to see anyways.

(Slides)
Nice! Thanks for posting this.

Text from the slides:

• Gran Turismo 5
  • Planned for March 2010

Cars
  • Over 950 Cars

Courses
  • Over 20 Locations
  • Over 60 Variations

Physics
  • New Physics
  • Overturning of Cars
  • Damage
  • Movable objects on the track
  • The newest Hybrid cars and electric cars

Arcade Mode
  • Single Player
  • Split Screen 2 Player

GT Mode
  • World Map
  • My Garage
  • Car Dealer
  • Tuning Shop
  • Championship Race
  • License Test

• Open Lobby
  • Text / Voice Chat
  • Private Room
  • Online Photo Album
  • Online Replay Album
  • Export of replays to YouTube

Photo Mode
  • Photo Drive
  • Photo Stave

Gran Turismo TV
  • Improved UI
  • Export of videos to the PSP
  • Progressive downloading

nextwish said:
damn.. still no new tire sounds?

nextwish

SolidSnakex said:
Can anyone make out where that FT86 is parked in the first picture? If so then we might be able to figure out a new course since those little locations that they create are near a track that's in the game.

Higher-res version just for you SolidSnake. Not sure if it helps much :)

4212198325_f02e295408_o.jpg

Did the game lose it's clan/car club stuff for online racing? someone post that old e3 projection slide with like 30 online bullet points on it.

TBH if it is gone i'm not surprised, that old list was mega huge and would take some effort to get it all working smoothly.

BeeDog said:
Track/location count seems to drop by the day. :lol

It was always the same "Over 20/60" count.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BSA1C6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Diablohead said:
Did the game lose it's clan/car club stuff for online racing? someone post that old e3 projection slide with like 30 online bullet points on it.

TBH if it is gone i'm not surprised, that old list was mega huge and would take some effort to get it all working smoothly.

The old list were list of things Kaz wanted to add/see in the game. Hell, he even had motorbikes up in that list. That list was quickly debunked by him saying he won't add these if he can't perfect it. The new list of things were finalized a year or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom