• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're up to three licenses so far (WRC, NASCAR and now Super GT). I still think it's possible that they'll get D1 for the drifting events though. But I guess that comes down to whether or not anyone has that license right now.

BeeDog

Am I the only one not expecting the additional licenses (that SSX mentioned above) to be fleshed out that much? Regardless of what Yama-mama has said in interviews, I think they'll be nice additional bullet-points, but not much more than that.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!

torontoml

BeeDog said:
Am I the only one not expecting the additional licenses (that SSX mentioned above) to be fleshed out that much? Regardless of what Yama-mama has said in interviews, I think they'll be nice additional bullet-points, but not much more than that.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!
Well in one of the interviews, KY did say they were trying to implement all the rules for Nascar, so I doubt that if it is only bullet-point they would do that much work for it.

Double H

BeeDog said:
If previous GT's are anything to go by, DTM will definitely be included.

New trailer is hot! Polyphony really know how to make fantastic cinematics.

So has it been decided that the Tuned cars from GT5P and the Time Trial are the new equivalent of racing modified cars from the original GT games?

alba

Little is the new Big
Nope but I believe if you look over all the interviews, the Tuning Shop will allow you to go as far as the Racing Modification did back in the day.

zaxor0

While house sitting for my brother I got a chance to try this trial. I was only able to get within 9 seconds of the top times (don't remember what they were now). Really makes me want a ps3 before this game comes out, but I just have to stick with my Race 07 and Race On.
--The physics engine is better than I expected too!

minimax brought this up on GTplanet

9hl2ye.png

Ken Nomura?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i fuckin love this game.

i was in the canadian stock leaderboards somewhere in the 600's couple of days ago, before i took a short vacation from the game. today i return to find out i'm at #1041. by the time i finish my warm-up laps i 'climb' to #1071. after two hours of concentration and unadulterated fun, tonight i leave the game at #461 (1'52.485). if that's not racing i don't know what is.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That was a crazy awesome trailer. Whoa.

My steering wheel setup was a big hit for all my relatives that came over for Christmas...everyone wanted to try it out and my uncle kept coming back for more laps in the Cappuccino Tuned. :lol

I need a proper setup though, as my petals seem to fly all over the place. But man is having a wheel AWESOME.

Wario, buy the $100 GT Force wheel at Gamestop. Trust me. It is awesome. You need a stand though, or a solid table.

blu

Animal said:
cheers, mate! welcome to the utter fun of living-room racing. and the price is right - i'd advise everybody on the fence to hop on that deal.

on a different note, i don't get the superGT buzz - when was the last time gran turismo did not feature JGTC? or am i missing something here?

Guy Legend

rhfb said:
So I got GT5:p for Christmas, but I'm unsure if I should open it with GT5 so damn close. Even more so since my Mom didn't get the best deal on it and payed 30$. I'm thinking about just having her take it back and get me a preorder on GT5 instead. Is Prologue really worth it? I could see myself just spending time with GT4 until GT5 came out after the time trial demo is done :lol

I would probably return it since the driving model in prologue is outdated compared to the new GT5 time trial demo.

I would pick up NFS Shift though to get your racing fix for what is likely almost half a year it will take for the full GT5 to come out here. NFS Shift is very good and a lot of fun.

Chris R

It is going back some time this next week. No way I'd buy NFS:Shit though. Demo was one of the worst things I've had the misfortune of playing on my ps3. I have GT4 and GRID on my pc to hold me over.

Mihku

So I got a DFGT for Xmas. Tried some racing games, including the GT5 time trial. After playing it a lot with a DS3 I have a really hard time adjusting to the steering wheel. I am getting nowhere near my previous record times. Whenever the car starts braking out even a little bit I just can't keep the bloody thing on the track. With the DS3 I never had those problems.

I did take a look in the controller options, you can choose between Amateur, Professional and Simulation as steering options. I did put it on Sim at first, but counter steering is near impossible then. Even when I select a lower option it still is very difficult. I guess I don't 'feel' the car braking out soon enough.

I really don't get why I'm slower, throttle control, braking and steering is a lot smoother, but when you start pushing and have to fight the car I always seem to lose.

Any other players having a hard time adjusting when you go from DS3 to steering wheel?

My DS3 times: Tuned: 1'38.780 || Stock: 1'52.245 || Total: 3'31.025

Also played quite a lot of iRacing today, and there I hardly have any problems. Different sim, different physics I know, but it really annoys me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mclaren777 said:
I might be imagining things, but at 1:22 in that video it almost looks like the tire smoke is influence by turbulence.

15qsy2f.jpg

That's right. It was there with rain rooster tails in GT3/4 though I think.

-viper-

Banned
blu said:
cheers, mate! welcome to the utter fun of living-room racing. and the price is right - i'd advise everybody on the fence to hop on that deal.

on a different note, i don't get the superGT buzz - when was the last time gran turismo did not feature JGTC? or am i missing something here?
The cars have always been although there have been no 'official' SuperGT races.

rhfb said:
So I got GT5:p for Christmas, but I'm unsure if I should open it with GT5 so damn close. Even more so since my Mom didn't get the best deal on it and payed 30$. I'm thinking about just having her take it back and get me a preorder on GT5 instead. Is Prologue really worth it? I could see myself just spending time with GT4 until GT5 came out after the time trial demo is done :lol

I´d keep it to save myself from some grinding in the early races in GT5. I was so happy to hear that the cars from GT5P would carry over to GT5.

okno

gluv65 said:
Thanks chief, grew up on standard measurements from the U.S.

We still use millimeters here in the U.S., just so ya know.

Downloaded the demo... Game utterly kicks my ass. I haven't played a GT since GT3 first came out on the PS2, so I need to get back into the swing of things. My mind is stuck in arcade mode, and that just doesn't jive with this game at all.

Luckyman said:
Any rumblings of GT5 getting SPA?

Jordan (the guy that runs GTplanet) said he'd first heard about the demo in November and that the track would be either Indianapolis or Spa. It turned out to be Indy, but the fact that he heard one of the possible tracks was Spa could be an indication that it's in there. We do know that the next round of the GT Academy will allow people to play another new track. So it's possible that the track will be Spa (which would explain why the demo possibilities was between Indy and Spa).

blu

Mihku said:
So I got a DFGT for Xmas.
congrats!

I really don't get why I'm slower, throttle control, braking and steering is a lot smoother, but when you start pushing and have to fight the car I always seem to lose.
well, your answer is right there - counter-steering with the wheel and with the joystick are fundamentally different - the stick gives you inhumanly-fast end-to-end wheel turning abilities. your actual wheel turning is just not as fast. which, in perspective, will teach you to seek optimal throttle control and preemptive measures, rather than correcting for overly-aggressive behavior post factum. worry not, give it some practice and you'll start pulling times you'd never dreamed about with the stick.

spats

blu said:
well, your answer is right there - counter-steering with the wheel and with the joystick are fundamentally different - the stick gives you inhumanly-fast end-to-end wheel turning abilities. your actual wheel turning is just not as fast. which, in perspective, will teach you to seek optimal throttle control and preemptive measures, rather than correcting for overly-aggressive behavior post factum. worry not, give it some practice and you'll start pulling times you'd never dreamed about with the stick.

Well put! Took me a good bit of effort to stay on track using my DFGT and the biggest mistake I made was that I used the throttle too aggressively. Once I got that under control, my wheel times started catching up to my DS3 times. :D

Curufinwe

Is it true that all the driving assists GT5 will have available are turned off for this demo?

I had a lot of trouble just keeping the Normal car on the track. I did better with the tuned car, but it was still really slippery.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there any info out there about the rally stuff yet? As in, what we can expect?

Curufinwe said:
Is it true that all the driving assists GT5 will have available are turned off for this demo?

I had a lot of trouble just keeping the Normal car on the track. I did better with the tuned car, but it was still really slippery.

Yeah they're turned off in the demo. All the assists from the previous GT's will be back as well as some news ones. You'll also be able to select Standard Physics in the full version.

Just thought I'd pop in this thread and say Animal, you are the best.

Got my order in for the Driving Force GT.

Now I just need a cheap MadCatz Fightstick Tourney Edition Round 2 for Super SFIV and I'm set!

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Jordan (the guy that runs GTplanet) said he'd first heard about the demo in November and that the track would be either Indianapolis or Spa. It turned out to be Indy, but the fact that he heard one of the possible tracks was Spa could be an indication that it's in there. We do know that the next round of the GT Academy will allow people to play another new track. So it's possible that the track will be Spa (which would explain why the demo possibilities was between Indy and Spa).
Spa is definitely in GT5.

I cannot exactly remember where I saw it, but I saw it. There was a photograph of some of the GT5 track logos and these logos included Spa.

-viper- said:
Spa is definitely in GT5.

I cannot exactly remember where I saw it, but I saw it. There was a photograph of some of the GT5 track logos and these logos included Spa.

I haven't seen that, but GameBlog had this in a video from TGS

68h2qw.jpg

9awfvo.jpg

Az

Mihku said:
So I got a DFGT for Xmas. Tried some racing games, including the GT5 time trial. After playing it a lot with a DS3 I have a really hard time adjusting to the steering wheel. I am getting nowhere near my previous record times. Whenever the car starts braking out even a little bit I just can't keep the bloody thing on the track. With the DS3 I never had those problems.

I did take a look in the controller options, you can choose between Amateur, Professional and Simulation as steering options. I did put it on Sim at first, but counter steering is near impossible then. Even when I select a lower option it still is very difficult. I guess I don't 'feel' the car braking out soon enough.

Any other players having a hard time adjusting when you go from DS3 to steering wheel?

My DS3 times: Tuned: 1'38.780 || Stock: 1'52.245 || Total: 3'31.025

Also played quite a lot of iRacing today, and there I hardly have any problems. Different sim, different physics I know, but it really annoys me.

Like I said before just stick to it. Got my DFGT last saturday and just today got a 1'38.800 time. It will get much better.

THE:MILKMAN

"Drive, race, wreck this ferrari" Really?

I thought it was only superficial damage for road cars and full damage/rollover for(select?) race cars?

It would be nice of polyphony/sony to finally confirm everything seeing has the game must be content complete with 3 months to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom