• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

inner-G

Banned
Just picked up a Driving Force GT today.
Holy Shit, it's amazing in Prologue, can't wait for the full game!! :D

Makes a world of difference in the time trial!

inner-G said:

I suffered a lot in GT4 competitions with the DS2. Then i went to the USA, bought a G25 and brought over with my luggage. It's like day and night, specially with the less forgiving physics of GT games after 4.

I'm usually 1.5-2.0 seconds faster with the wheel, but i know the difference is smaller for most players... depends on how sharp you can be with the controller.

Animal

Banned
inner-G said:

Mine should be at my doorstep tomorrow. I can't wait to rip around with it!:D

THE:MILKMAN said:
"Drive, race, wreck this ferrari" Really?

I thought it was only superficial damage for road cars and full damage/rollover for(select?) race cars?

It would be nice of polyphony/sony to finally confirm everything seeing has the game must be content complete with 3 months to release.

All cars are supposed to be able to take some form of damage. But there will be different kinds applied depending on what type of car you're using. If you're using a road car then then you're going to get scrapes and some dents while someone driving a race car will have parts falling off their car. Both will have mechanical damage though, so that aspect will be the same no matter what type of car you drive. But I think that's probably where the 400k figure that Kaz recently mentioned comes from. They're modeling nearly everything on the race cars. So when you ripoff sections of those cars you're going to see what's under them.

Niks

x2_71c0d4

Great looking cover, would make an awesome poster.

inner-G said:

YESSS!! YESSS!! COME TO THE DARK SIDE!!

GODDAMN U PEOPLE, BUY THE DAMN WHEEL! I want some competition by the time the game comes out! :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Niks said:
x2_71c0d4

Great looking cover, would make an awesome poster.
I WANT THIS AS A POSTER.

Also, I've said it once before but my god, most realistic looking game ever. I hope it sells tons and they drop the PS3 price to 100$ so I can buy one.

Hopefully there's something new in that issue. Putting 'World Exclusive' on the cover suggests that you something new to show off. OPM UK got a free pass on their cover because all they said is that they had the 'Full Story', which was really just a run down of the new from TGS. It wouldn't make sense to recycle the TGS news given that it will be nearly 4 months old by the time that magazine hits the stands.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
torontoml said:
So when do new issues of this magazine release? Will it be in a few days?
more like mid-jan, i'd guess.

speaking of wheels, i hope all of you future wheel owners realize that a wheel is not like a joystick on steroids, right? i'm just warning you after having read some astonishing brand-new-wheel-owner's reactions, of the sort of:

'gosh, this wheel is too twitchy! how do i turn off force-feedback?' ; )

ps: if you're among those individuals who think FFB is not for them, don't spent your money on real wheels - just get a $30-$40 'mad ratz' one and be done with it.

blu said:
more like mid-jan, i'd guess.

That'll be the time frame for people that buy it on the stands. Subscribers should get it before the 10th. So we could get the info any day now.

Anyway, here's the current track lineup

Confirmed
Indianapolis
Nurburgring
High Speed Ring
Daytona
Suzuka
Fuji
Tsukaba
London
Madrid
Rome
Eiger
Tokyo Route 246
Rally Toscana
Top Gear Test Track
Unnamed 458 Track
Unnamed FT86 Track
Unnamed Ferrari California Track

Rumored
Spa
Monza

offshore

I'd like to think that the course/layout/variation/environment confusion will finally get explained in plain English...but I'd better not get my hopes up... :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Melfice7 said:
my guess is 20 countries or locations in countries, 40ish unique tracks 70 total layouts

Thats what I am thinking too. Something like:

Location Italy: Tracks Rome and Monza: Variations Rome Long, Short, Monza oval, F1 courses.

That would be a total of 4 variations on 2 tracks in 1 "location". Add reverse and mirrored courses and I guess you get 16 variations in 1 location, but I dont think they are counting reverse and mirrored, as their variations is not that much larger of a multiplier from their locations listed.

Or Location US: Tracks Indianapolis, Daytona: Variations Indy oval, F1, Daytona. Thats 3 variations in 1 location on two tracks.

You see what I am trying to get at. But its all speculation. I guess its better than actually knowing and them having tons of fans complaining for months. This way they release a list a few weeks before, than the grumbling will be overcome by the joy of it being available. :lol

Animal

Banned
OK so i spent the better part of yesterday getting to know my new DFGT.

I was able to bring my Normal Car time down to within 0.150 of my record DS3 time and I'm sure I can blow through it with a bit more practice.

The tuned car is another story...I am 0.500 off my record DS3 time. I am having trouble judging just how much grip is available to me as I accelerate out of a corner.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... curious: Is GT5 going to have a driving wheel/controller icon for lap times on the leaderboard?

I'm asking because I really want someone (me?) to do a "GAFfers drive the reasonable priced car" thread for hotlapping on the Top Gear Test Track. But it'd be stupid to do if there isn't a way to separate times. So there is "even" competition.

Edit: Is there even an ability to have custom leaderboards in the game? o_O

torontoml

TheSeks said:
So... curious: Is GT5 going to have a driving wheel/controller icon for lap times on the leaderboard?

I'm asking because I really want someone (me?) to do a "GAFfers drive the reasonable priced car" thread for hotlapping on the Top Gear Test Track. But it'd be stupid to do if there isn't a way to separate times. So there is "even" competition.

Edit: Is there even an ability to have custom leaderboards in the game? o_O
when you look at the details of someones lap it says what they are using/used.

qorer

Neo Member
I'll bet on over 20 "locations" meaning courses "places" like Daytona, London... and "over 60 variations" as unique tracks and its courses variations, but NOT including reverses of those tracks ;)

--

I was wondering.. PD says GT PSP have 35 tracks, but looking at the game there are 42 tracks and over 70 including reverses... :S

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
torontoml said:
when you look at the details of someones lap it says what they are using/used.

Oh, cool. I didn't see that in the Time Trial demo so I was wondering if it was actually in the game or not. :lol

I'm just hoping for a good number of circuits that have a feeling or an emotion associated with them. I mean Monza is a good example, so is Spa and Nordschliefe (which we know is in). Of course for some these circuits may mean nothing. But for me they (and others) are at the heart of motorsport.

The Chef

Finally got around to getting the GT5 demo. Everything about the 350 looks fantastic but wow at the track/environment. YIKES it looks bad. :/ The environment in Prologue was so mind blowing this just looks so bland. I cant imagine this being the best way to showcase GT5.

offshore

The Chef said:
Finally got around to getting the GT5 demo. Everything about the 350 looks fantastic but wow at the track/environment. YIKES it looks bad. :/ The environment in Prologue was so mind blowing this just looks so bland. I cant imagine this being the best way to showcase GT5.

The thing that bugs me is that we don't know if everything about the demo code is actually representative of GT5, like the bland tracks, tearing, etc, or whether it's just the new physics that are the demo. If the graphics were downgraded to keep the file size small and aren't representative of 5, PD could have just put a disclaimer at the start saying as much.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Animal said:
OK so i spent the better part of yesterday getting to know my new DFGT.

I was able to bring my Normal Car time down to within 0.150 of my record DS3 time and I'm sure I can blow through it with a bit more practice.

The tuned car is another story...I am 0.500 off my record DS3 time. I am having trouble judging just how much grip is available to me as I accelerate out of a corner.

Do you have the wheel on something solid? Like a stand or desk?

offshore said:
The thing that bugs me is that we don't know if everything about the demo code is actually representative of GT5, like the bland tracks, tearing, etc, or whether it's just the new physics that are the demo. If the graphics were downgraded to keep the file size small and aren't representative of 5, PD could have just put a disclaimer at the start saying as much.

It's the track that's the problem, not the graphics. The track is always going to look bland. PD has already demoed GT5 several times and we know that it looks at least as good as Prologue.

Animal

Banned
recklessmind said:
Do you have the wheel on something solid? Like a stand or desk?

The wheel is fixed to a very beefy desk. It doesn't move at all and the pedals are firmly in place on a carpet thanks to the spikes underneath them.

The Chef

H_Prestige said:
It's the track that's the problem, not the graphics. The track is always going to look bland. PD has already demoed GT5 several times and we know that it looks at least as good as Prologue.

The mountain course in Prologue is just so gorgeous. When I play this track in GT5 the grass looks flat, the sky is boring, textures just dont seem right. It just looks really...boring. Granted, the track itself is boring (not like in the Swiss alps or something) so I'm sure other tracks will be more exciting visually.

The Chef said:
The mountain course in Prologue is just so gorgeous. When I play this track in GT5 the grass looks flat, the sky is boring, textures just dont seem right. It just looks really...boring. Granted, the track itself is boring (not like in the Swiss alps or something) so I'm sure other tracks will be more exciting visually.

What you just described also describes Daytona in Prologue.

The Chef said:
Really?
Mmm, maybe the mountains kept me from looking at the grass.

There is no mountain on the Daytona course. You're thinking of Eiger. Daytona is just a bland race course, much like Indianapolis. Despite that though, I had more fun on that course than I did with any other course in Prologue. I spent most of my time in Prologue playing time trials on the oval section of Daytona.

The Chef

SolidSnakex said:
There is no mountain on the Daytona course. You're thinking of Eiger. Daytona is just a bland race course, much like Indianapolis. Despite that though, I had more fun on that course than I did with any other course in Prologue. I spent most of my time in Prologue playing time trials on the oval section of Daytona.

Your right, I forgot that one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Chef said:
Really?
Mmm, maybe the mountains kept me from looking at the grass.

There are no mountains in Daytona or Indy to distract from the track. It is empty and pretty sterile, but I think they are going for spot on with the real track rather than jazz it up for the game experience.

Like you said Eiger and London and Tokyo are far superior so I would not judge the whole game on this time trial demo. Morethan likely we will get a proper demo when the time comes or shortly after launch with a handful of cars on one track (could even be the Tokyo demo they are showing everywhere).

The Chef

Goldrusher said:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/347/reviews/942026_20071214_screen043.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/347/reviews/942026_20071214_screen029.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well said.

Down to 3'25'026, with 1'48'233 in the normal car. Tonight will probably be the last one on the normal car. If the 47 doesn't happen in this sessions, i guess it probably means i should move on to the tuned car.

blu

Animal said:
OK I've finally got accustomed to my DFGT I think ...

NEW Tuned Car Record: 1'36.782 :D
slowly making your way toward the the 1'2x, eh? ; )

impressive time, Animal! i should renew my attempts at overcoming my mediocrity and finally get into the canadian top 250 - i was a hair away a few days ago (15 positions away) when i stopped. i'm afraid to think where i might find myself when i return :lol

Animal

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Down to 3'25'026, with 1'48'233 in the normal car. Tonight will probably be the last one on the normal car. If the 47 doesn't happen in this sessions, i guess it probably means i should move on to the tuned car.

Damn that's fast!

spwolf

AndyD said:
There are no mountains in Daytona or Indy to distract from the track. It is empty and pretty sterile, but I think they are going for spot on with the real track rather than jazz it up for the game experience.

Like you said Eiger and London and Tokyo are far superior so I would not judge the whole game on this time trial demo. Morethan likely we will get a proper demo when the time comes or shortly after launch with a handful of cars on one track (could even be the Tokyo demo they are showing everywhere).

i did notice lower textures in TT vs Prologue... It might be due to the it being an demo of course. but that crazy shimmering is gone with anti-flicker option, and in menus, car look million times better.

It was very hard to play prologue after TT, new physics are that much different. Previously, I have thought that Pro with all the help options was hard, now it is quite easy ;-).. I am sure they will be changes to them for the gold release as well.

Kind of funny - but PD should have released 2 demos - one current TT and another one Daytona oval demo where you can crash around and take pretty pictures, that would have quited down the complaints.

UFRA

UFRA said:
Edit: Nevermind. Gamespot just didn't update old info...

Ok...after more investigation, unless I'm LTTP or something...

GameSpot is listing the release date for North America as Feb 2, 2010. JPN and EU date is "March 2010". Australia listed as "TBA".

GameStop is also listing the shipping date for pre-orders as Feb 2, 2010. GT5 is also listed under the "Coming Soon" titles section on their site.

Also, incase anyone else wants to get in on the deal - I just pre-ordered GT5 online through GameStop.com, used the promotion code "BLUEMOON" to get free overnight shipping, and again the shipping date is showing 2/2/10.

So....unless there is major misunderstanding by all these places...this is looking plausible, no?

:O

blu

UFRA said:
Ok...after more investigation, unless I'm LTTP or something...
i'd rather not set myself up for a disappointment. june 2010 is my estimate.

UFRA

Hmm, now hope is crumbling.

Many other websites are saying March.

With my luck, GameSpot probably is lazy and didn't update their release date in a long time, and GameStop took the date from GameSpot's website....ha!

Oh well, at least I have it pre-ordered lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom