• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy New Year 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Whatever dude, you're totally bragging about it right now, about how you had to drunk drive to save your friends career and how you're such a great drunk driver that nobody was ever in much danger because you heroically sobered up by drinking some coffee while everyone else was still shitfaced, and how because you're a TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE ADULT, you learned from your mistakes in the past (20 hours ago) and now you're a much better person who will certainly never do that again.

Wow, just wow! Truely inspiring. I mean, if someone doesn't line up to suck your cock after reading that story of courage of redemption, then something must be the matter with them, and their nearsighted black-white worldview!

dr_octagon

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yes, and it's true. Like I said, we all know it is wrong. But remember, the guy was bragging about it. That is what prompted that specific response, more than the driving drunk. That's the same guy who got banned by me, by the way.

In the end, as I've said countless times in this thread, this was an exception that I wish I didn't have to make. I know it was a mistake, but I had only two really bad options and I chose the one I felt was less bad at the time. And it worked out, thankfully.

If I was bragging about it, feel free to spike bat me in the face though. I do not advocate driving drunk, not after coffee drinking, not even if you're a little tipsy. Never. Even in this situation, I do not advocate it. I simply did not want to be responsible for this guy losing his job, and so I took the risk. Should I have made a different choice? I don't know. I do know either way it was wrong, so I'm not going to change my mind.

I'm sure you regret it and you aren't bragging, you may not care what people say but this is what other people would say. They would question it and you will get criticised for it. You invite a person to the party, they could have declined. You may have felt guilty but then you should have made sure you didn't drink too much or made sure someone else could take him home. You may have had the right intentions and you exhausted the options but your actions did something against what you knew to be wrong. You decided to take those actions because you felt what you did, at the time and under those circumstances, was necessary. Some people may or may not agree with you.

The world is not black and white but some issues will be treated as such, and I don't think it is confined to GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
Joe_Molotov said:
Whatever dude, you're totally bragging about it right now, about how you had to drunk drive to save your friends career and how you're such a great drunk driver that nobody was ever in much danger because you heroically sobered up by drinking some coffee while everyone else was still shitfaced, and how because you're a TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE ADULT, you learned from your mistakes in the past (20 hours ago) and now you're a much better person who will certainly never do that again.

Wow, just wow! Truely inspiring. I mean, if someone doesn't line up to suck your cock after reading that story of courage of redemption, then something must be the matter with them, and their nearsighted black-white worldview!

Molotov, either you are functionally retarded with a complete lack of reading comprehension or you're not really trying to have a serious discussion.

There is no redemption, only two bad choices. I made the one I felt was less bad. And the only reason I even went into detail about the issue is because someone here noted I had to be inebriated to drive the way I did, and so I felt I should respond honestly as to why I did. Otherwise, I would never have mentioned anything about the situation.

Keep jerkin' your knee, though, it's damn near close to snappin'.

dr_octagon said:
You decided to take those actions because you felt what you did, at the time and under those circumstances, was necessary. Some people may or may not agree with you.

The world is not black and white but some issues will be treated as such, and I don't think it is confined to GAF.

Absolutely. People know how hard I advocate against driving drunk, so I was especially disappointed in myself. I am not annoyed at GAF, it is what it is. GAF is always this way, extracting huge sweeping black-and-whites behind relatively nuanced situations. GAF will be GAF, as they say :)

Ardorx

Banned
Amir0x said:
There is no redemption, only two bad choices. I made the one I felt was less bad.

You should have taken a goddamn taxi instead of risking your lives and the lives of others who have nothing to do with your night of partying and lack of responsibilities. Who gives a shit that taxis are 50-60 dollars?

Because of people like you, loved ones are lost and lives are ruined. But whatever right? Nobody got hurt in the end and you learned your lesson, which makes everything a-okay.

Gruco

Banned
Amir0x said:
I think it's beneficial to conversations to completely spell out ones position, and to respond to all individuals best I can.
Fantastic. I think that's great. Let's spell out your position as clearly as possible then.

1) How much did you have to drink last night before you started sobering up?

2) If you were in the same situation, would you do it again?

3) If no, what would you do differently? If yes, how is this consistent with your belief that what you did was wrong?

4) Do you think that EviLore made the right decision when he gave a six month ban "In lieu of a suspended license"to this poster (same one as earlier; and to be clear I'm only asking your opinion whether that 1:1 exchange is appropriate, as I know you mentioned that the bragging was a big factor)

5) On a scale of 1-10, ten being the most dangerous, 1 being least dangerous, how would you rank your driving drunk after having coffee and sobering up for and hour?

6) How would you have rated your performance driving had you not sobered up and hour and drank coffee, on the same scale?

7) Why was it important for you to volunteer this information (re: coffee and sobering up) to people whose opinions you don't care about, if all that matters is that you will never drive drunk again?

8) Do you believe that drunk drivers deserve to get their licences suspended regardless of whether or not they get caught?

9) How do you determine whether or not someone is "highly strung" or "reactionary" when they criticize drunk driving?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just find it kind of sad that you're having this discussion with GAF instead of loved ones.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Amir0x said:
GAF is always this way, extracting huge sweeping black-and-whites behind relatively nuanced situations. GAF will be GAF, as they say :)

You can try to paint that nights decisions as complex and full of dead ends (leading to your resultant decision) as much as you want, there's absolutely no excuse for jumping in a car and putting every other driver at risk due to your impaired abilities. And honestly thinking that your promise to this guy is more important than the life of another (cause honestly, that's what you're risking when driving impaired) is just insane.

But hey! we're not with it man, we don't understand the nuanced scenarios of a twenty year old male *as you argue with other twenty year old males*.

Joe Molotov

So, for future reference if I pirate a bunch of Wii games, because you know it was too inconvenient for me to pay for them, and then get caught by another forum member and have it pointed it publicly, as long as I make a big deal about how sorry I am that I did it, and how I'm an adult and I learn from my mistakes and it's all in the past, I'm not going to get banned.

I'm just wondering. It's good to know ahead of time which topics GAF is supposed to be Black & White on, and which ones we're supposed to give leeway on. Because I had assumed before, given the stances of our mods that Drunk Driving was a no tolerance thing, but you learn something new everyday. Does piracy work on a "say your sorry, and it's okay" basis as well?

diunxx

Joe Molotov said:
So, for future reference if I pirate a bunch of Wii games, because you know it was too inconvenient for me to pay for them, and then get caught by another forum member and have it pointed it publicly, as long as I make a big deal about how sorry I am that I did it, and how I'm an adult and I learn from my mistakes and it's all in the past, I'm not going to get banned.

I'm just wondering. It's good to know ahead of time which topics GAF is supposed to be Black & White on, and which ones we're supposed to give leeway on. Because I had assumed before, given the stances of our mods that Drunk Driving was a no tolerance thing, but you learn something new everyday. Does piracy work on a "say your sorry, and it's okay" basis as well?

no man, You will still get banned cos you are not a mod.

Amir0x

Banned
Joe Molotov said:

I am being led to assume that, again, you simply have reading comprehension problems. GAFers who are not informed make up their own ideas of what is and is not bannable, and applies it when they think it is convenient. You could already infer the answer by posts I made in this topic. Backseat modding a mod is amusing especially when it's done wrong, I must say.

Making a bad personal life decision is not bannable, nor is it GAF's job to intrude on the personal lives of others provided it does not impact GAF (example, it is a bad personal life decision to be racist. But if you're racist on GAF, that is going to impact members of this community and so it is bannable). That other guy in that other thread wouldn't have been banned either, if it wasn't for his attitude and the fact that he was bragging about the situation. I mentioned this in the topic already, if you would learn to read. Driving drunk for him was a badge of honor, on top of which he lashed out at others and even suggested he would continue to drive drunk.

Admitting to Piracy, however, is bannable, since it does actually impact on the community that posts here. GAF's job is to make the community feel like an inviting place for people inside the industry and elsewhere, something which would not be possible if we endorsed the piracy of the games they make.

BlueTsunami said:
You can try to paint that nights decisions as complex and full of dead ends (leading to your resultant decision) as much as you want, there's absolutely no excuse for jumping in a car and putting every other driver at risk due to your impaired abilities. And honestly thinking that your promise to this guy is more important than the life of another (cause honestly, that's what you're risking when driving impaired) is just insane.

Again, it was two bad decisions that wasn't something I casually decided. Having exhausted every other avenue, and knowing that I had to get this guy to work so he could continue to support his family, I made the best of the bad choices. Which is still a pretty bad choice, any way you shake it. I didn't wish to be put in that situation, nor did I wish to put anybody else in the situation to drive on a road with someone intoxicated even a tiny bit, but that's the way it shook out. I was disappointed it happened that way.

Anyway, we've gone in these circles over and over again, and we all know where this is going again. The same place: we all know driving while drunk is wrong, I know I made a mistake which is all that matters, and the world continues to rotate with absolutely no one being hurt in the situation. It worked out. And so I don't live in the past.

You may be the type of person who would have said "no, I won't drive you, lose your job for all I care", and maybe I should have been that type of person too, but I wasn't. People in this topic want me to beat myself up about it or be offended by the attacks on me, but I'm simply going to continue to move on. No point in focusing on something I know is not gonna happen again. My track record is pretty fantastic.

Ardox said:
Who gives a shit that taxis are 50-60 dollars?

It was considerably more complicated than just getting the money up. I'm not going to help you read the thread and repeat myself some more.

Joe Molotov

I notice Gruco didn't get the patented Wall o' Text response (and you wonder why no one seems to read your posts). Too many prickly questions there for you to spin doctor?

Amir0x

Banned
What prickly questions? You guys make no sense. One second you say I post too much and derail threads, others you say I make too many excuses or am trying to rationalize it, now you want me to excruciatingly detail every little aspect of the night!

Anyway, I was responding to the question but was going to put it into its own post, but firefox crashed because I was simultaneously watching a gametrailers video on Darksiders and as a result it erased what I had and so it's taking longer.

Joe Molotov

I'm sorry Firefox crashed and rendered you unable to answer a Yes/No question like:

So would you? Friend's job on the line, your DD flaked out, whatcha gonna do Ami?

BlueTsunami

I'm wondering what would of happened if somehow his keys were taken away or lost for whatever reason. I guess the next course of action would be stealing a car cause that dudes gonna lose his job. Slippery slope!

Joe Molotov

Joe Molotov said:
I'm sorry Firefox crashed and rendered you unable to answer a Yes/No question like:

So would you? Friend's job on the line, your DD flaked out, whatcha gonna do Ami?

Okay, let me just go ahead and answer the question for you. You would do it again if you were in same situation. You've already said you "made the best of two bad choices". So why then do we have to listen to you prattle on for 15 paragraphs about how you'd never do it again and that you learned from your mistakes? You didn't learn anything, you're just hoping you never get into a situation where you have to do it again, but you're gonna do whatever feels good at the time when it comes down to it because that's the kind of person you are.

Amir0x

Banned
Gruco said:
Fantastic. I think that's great. Let's spell out your position as clearly as possible then.

1) How much did you have to drink last night before you started sobering up?

3) If no, what would you do differently? If yes, how is this consistent with your belief that what you did was wrong?

1) About eight Corona's, and five shots of Vodka Lime. Spread out from 6 to around 11, when I stopped drinking altogether and started drinking coffee.
2.) Given the details, if everything fell into this exact same scenario, I'd have to say yes. But as I said, I'm 25 years old and this is the first time I've ever got behind the wheel even buzzed. It's something I'm confident is not going to occur again. Saying this does not mean you're not aware of a mistake, however. It means I am never going to allow myself to be put in a situation where I will have to say yes to a person like this again. This experience allowed me to learn from this, so that I can continue to strictly follow my no drunk driving policy.
3.) My belief is that there was no right decisions here. I had to choose between two wrong decisions, and I felt one was slightly less wrong. But wrong is wrong. I should not have been driving drunk. I should not have promised to get this guy home, if I wasn't going to do it myself in the first place. If I had to do it again, what I would do is make sure we had a CAB ordered early in the night, and that we had the money to go before the party started, and so that we wouldn't have to risk the CAB being late or whatever or no one having the cash to pay up. And make sure to not use this specific friend of mine as a designated driver, since he is obviously not trustworthy.

Gruco said:
4) Do you think that EviLore made the right decision when he gave a six month ban "In lieu of a suspended license"to this poster (same one as earlier; and to be clear I'm only asking your opinion whether that 1:1 exchange is appropriate, as I know you mentioned that the bragging was a big factor)

Evilore is his own person, and I have no reason to disagree with any of his bans. Nor any of my fellow mods bans. Mods are free to, using their own discretion, decide when something is or is not worth a ban based on the established rules and guidelines for the forum.

My personal philosophy is to judge each situation by person. Has a person repeat offended? What is the person's intent? Did he mean to be offensive? Is he apologetic if he made a mistake? Etc etc. The list goes on. I look at all aspects before deciding if something is worth a ban, and how long that ban should be. There is never going to be one unified theory of banning, and mods and admins often discuss if a ban is right or wrong.

Gruco said:
5) On a scale of 1-10, ten being the most dangerous, 1 being least dangerous, how would you rank your driving drunk after having coffee and sobering up for and hour?

6) How would you have rated your performance driving had you not sobered up and hour and drank coffee, on the same scale?

Not sure this is possible to qualify. No matter what, it is not recommended to drive and I never do when drunk. But, in this specific case (it being my only experience of driving while inebriated), I'd say I would have rated my performance a 5 or a 4 without coffee, a 6 or 7 with.

It's a really tough question though because I know how I performed in retrospect, which was actually really good: I was extremely slow, the car (which didn't have snow tires, unfortunately) slipped all over the place in the snow, but I managed to correct my course each time. And I made it home safe, passed various cops once I got to 611 and none of them stopped me. I think my performance was pretty good so it's hard to know what the true rating would have been if something else had happened.

Gruco said:
7) Why was it important for you to volunteer this information (re: coffee and sobering up) to people whose opinions you don't care about, if all that matters is that you will never drive drunk again?

7) In the absence of information, people will create all sorts of fanciful scenarios. GAF is an elaborate echo chamber. I choose to answer people in extreme detail so that we don't have these lingering questions, and to respect each individual by responding to them with the same time they give my posts.

Which is also why when I see people not reading and making up shit, I get increasingly condescending. If you don't make the time to read, why should I, right?

Gruco said:
8) Do you believe that drunk drivers deserve to get their licences suspended regardless of whether or not they get caught?

yes.

Gruco said:
9) How do you determine whether or not someone is "highly strung" or "reactionary" when they criticize drunk driving?

When a person makes absurd hyperbolic statements in order to make a sweeping point about things the individual in question didn't even endorse or claim, one can safely assume they are being reactionary and highly strung.

Ardorx

Banned
Amir0x said:
Admitting to Piracy, however, is bannable, since it does actually impact on the community that posts here. GAF's job is to make the community feel like an inviting place for people inside the industry and elsewhere, something which would not be possible if we endorsed the piracy of the games they make.

Driving drunk has an impact on the NeoGAF community too. What if you had killed someone the posts here? Would if you would have killed Evillore?

It was considerably more complicated than just getting the money up. I'm not going to help you read the thread and repeat myself some more.

Oh right, your friend would have lost his job. Oh noes. You said he was already on thin ice, which says to me that he's a shitty employee (and provider for his family) that doesn't take responsibilities like his job seriously.

This says a whole lot about your character, because if you hang around with such a crowd one could be lead to believe that you yourself shrug off responsibilities and could very well drive intoxicated again.

And as I understand it from a previous post, you also beat on your mother? Clearly you are a model citizen and do a great job representing the forum you moderate.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Joe Molotov said:
Okay, let me just go ahead and answer the question for you. You would do it again if you were in same situation. You've already said you "made the best of two bad choices". So why then do we have to listen to you prattle on for 15 paragraphs about how you'd never do it again and that you learned from your mistakes? You didn't learn anything, you're just hoping you never get into a situation where you have to do it again, but you're gonna do whatever feels good at the time when it comes down to it because that's the kind of person you are.

People like you make sense, you see if he doesn't respond you will do no different but he can at least defend himself.

You're being kind of an ass about this, I actually know people who have actually LOST people to drunk drivers and aren't acting like this much of an ass.

They even forgave the drunk driver, why? Because PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES.

I can't wait for you to fuck up, I for one will gladly be there to rip on you because this is getting ridiculous, fuck he already said he fucked up and feels bad about it and you're on a god damn witch hunt because he is a fucking mod.

Serious edit: You guys know this is the same reason why cops also give a 24 hour suspension, in other words "you can't drive home tonight you get your license back tomorrow"

These are very commonly handed out in situations when the driver isn't a murderous wreck

Ardorx

Banned
lsslave said:
I actually know people who have actually LOST people to drunk drivers and aren't acting like this much of an ass.

They even forgave the drunk driver, why? Because PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES.

Sounds like they didn't really care about the person they lost. I will never forgive the drunk drivers that have taken away dear friends and family members.

Amir0x made an incredibly selfish decision putting the needs of a friend, who clearly doesn't care about his job, over the innocent lives he could have taken due to his stupidity. He SHOULD get a hard time for that.

Amir0x

Banned
It's obvious that people are just reacting with their gut. I can respect that. I react with my gut too (BECAUSE I AM FATLOL) when it comes to people who drink and drive. But, I have forEVER made it my mission to never drink and drive, even when I was young and far more reckless, and for this one time I made an exception to do something for a friend I care about. I felt there was no right decision, only wrong decisions in degrees. I choose a decision I felt was the lesser evil, but obviously you are all free to disagree.

I do not want this to become some advocation of drinking and driving. It is always a wrong, never a right.

Ardorx said:
Oh right, your friend would have lost his job. Oh noes. You said he was already on thin ice, which says to me that he's a shitty employee (and provider for his family) that doesn't take responsibilities like his job seriously. This says a whole lot about your character, because if you hang around with such a crowd one could be lead to believe that you yourself shrug off responsibilities and could very well drive intoxicated again.

See when you view everything in so black and white, you make the same mistakes about character as you do about subjects like this.

I am hugely successful, make tons of money, take my job extremely seriously and am in a position of fairly large responsibility. I even occasionally go to Washington D.C. to deal with aspects of the contract I supervise at the Army Depot I work at, part lobbyist.

As part of my contract, I help disabled veterans find and locate jobs they can perform, as well as other related job duties such as supervising employees as they try to refinish and prepare for the Warfighter everything from helicopters to mobilizers.

And this i am proud of and I do brag about. My friend likewise is a pretty responsible guy. Unfortunately, he was recently out of work for six months due to an illness, and thus had no more work leave to use up and no one to donate time to him.

Life is not black and white.

Ardorx said:
And as I understand it from a previous post, you also beat on your mother? Clearly you are a model citizen and do a great job representing the forum you moderate.

Of course not. What you understood is that there was another situation where people completely extrapolated their own understanding of a situation they weren't apart of, and it became a meme that people used to berate me. I didn't take it seriously then, and I don't take it seriously now. Nobody beat any mothers, but that's not why people say it anymore anyway. They don't care what really happened.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ardorx said:
Sounds like they didn't really care about the person they lost. I will never forgive the drunk drivers that have taken away dear friends and family members.

Amir0x made an incredibly selfish decision putting the needs of a friend, who clearly doesn't care about his job, over the innocent lives he could have taken due to his stupidity. He SHOULD get a hard time for that.

Forgiveness is perhaps a trait you need to learn, I am not even religious and I am a master of forgiveness.

There are 2 things that I can not see being forgivable which are rape and child molestation. The rest it only matters on how strong of a person you are.

Read my post a few pages back, am I just as terrible? Do I belong in jail over a situation? I assure you I was a lot worse than Ami would have been last night but the alternatives were freezing to death or staying in the situation that I could not be in.

Amir0x said:
1) About eight Corona's, and five shots of Vodka Lime. Spread out from 6 to around 11, when I stopped drinking altogether and started drinking coffee.
i know i should be dropping this but... how much do you weigh, roughly?

Amir0x

Banned
My New Year's Resolution is to stop allowing myself to get bogged down in conversations that go in circles forEVER

EmCeeGramr said:
i know i should be dropping this but... how much do you weigh, roughly?

230lbs now.

Ardorx

Banned
Unfortunately, he was recently out of work for six months due to an illness, and thus had no more work leave to use up and no one to donate time to him.

I see. Now that you actually fill in key details, you almost look like less of a shithead. HOWEVER, now the question comes up, why was he out so late if he had to be at work in mere hours?

If I was out of work for six months due to an illness, I'd be more concerned with not going out with da boyz when I have to work that night New Years Eve or not.

lsslave said:
There are 2 things that I can not see being forgivable which are rape and child molestation.

But PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, right? Mistakes like polishing off a bottle of jack and going out for a spin and taking out a mother trying to rush her daughter to the hospital or like accidentally sticking your dick in a 12 year old girl.

Mistakes man. Gotta forgive em' right "master"?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Amir0x said:
My New Year's Resolution is to stop allowing myself to get bogged down in conversations that go in circles forEVER

230lbs now.

Doesn't count unless you put it in the resolution contest thread! :lol

BlueTsunami said:
Oh my, this changes everything!

I don't even hold grudges on people who have stolen from me, used me. Even my exes, though I could despise them, I do not hold a grudge.

If you bottle that shit up forever you are going to kill yourself, I already have a bleeding hole in my stomach I don't need to let shit bog me down so I just forgive everything. Try it, life gets better I assure you.

Edit:

Ardorx said:
I see. Now that you actually fill in key details, you almost look like less of a shithead. HOWEVER, now the question comes up, why was he out so late if he had to be at work in mere hours?

If I was out of work for six months due to an illness, I'd be more concerned with not going out with da boyz when I have to work that night New Years Eve or not.

But PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, right? Mistakes like polishing off a bottle of jack and going out for a spin and taking out a mother trying to rush her daughter to the hospital or like accidentally sticking your dick in a 12 year old girl.

Mistakes man. Gotta forgive em' right "master"?

Seriously... do you even drink ffs? People make bad choices with alcohol in them. My response is to make sure I can't access my vehicle when inebriated.

And you are INSTANTLY jumping onto the bad things. In a town where every bar has drunk drivers every big night (seriously... I'd like to meet a designated driver in this shithole :/ ) and the parking lot is always empty we don't have this happen regularly.

These people its not just an error in judgement though, they do it EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND.

Think before you talk please?

Amir0x

Banned
Ardorx said:

Well two things. One, he and I both thought we'd have no trouble getting him to where he had to go because we had a designated driver originally. And two, because he didn't drink much anyway so it's not like he was going to work drunk. He just doesn't have a license. He just wanted to spend the New Years with friends, like anyone else. He's a close friend of mine so I liked for him to be there too, which is why I invited him and convinced him to go (originally he was going to miss the party and just stay home :p)

lsslave said:
There are 2 things that I can not see being forgivable which are rape and child molestation. The rest it only matters on how strong of a person you are.

Victims of rape or molestation can actually overcome their abuse and live normal lives. It's not easy, but it can happen.

But it's kind of hard to overcome being killed by a drunk driver, no matter how sorry the driver is afterward.

Ardorx

Banned
lsslave said:
Seriously... do you even drink ffs?

No I don't drink and never will because I see the negative effects it has on people. I will never put myself in a position where I may cause harm to myself or to another person.

People make bad choices with alcohol in them.

Exactly. This is a pretty well known fact which is why forgiving drunk drivers is a hilarious thought because they should be aware of what alcohol does to a person.

My response is to make sure I can't access my vehicle when inebriated.

Which could have been done here. Or make sure the designated driver wouldn't be such a goddamn flake.

And you are INSTANTLY jumping onto the bad things.

You're right! Let's take a look at all the good things that can happen when you drink and drive....

Go on, I'll wait.

In a town where every bar has drunk drivers every big night (seriously... I'd like to meet a designated driver in this shithole :/ ) and the parking lot is always empty we don't have this happen regularly.

These people its not just an error in judgement though, they do it EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND.

So you hail from a town of drunks and use that as some type of magical argument where drunk drivers should be forgiven? After all, not their fault they just decided to get drunk and hop behind the wheel.

Think before you talk please?

I was going to say the same thing to you a while a go but it's apparent that you have a metal handicap (of which kind, I am unaware) and it would be wrong of me to make light of your unfortunate disability.

BlueTsunami

Ardorx said:
So you hail from a town of drunks and use that as some type of magical argument where drunk drivers should be forgiven? After all, not their fault they just decided to get drunk and hop behind the wheel.

No no no, you see, its like gun control... if everyone was drunk there wouldn't be anymore DUI deaths!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Great Rumbler said:
Victims of rape or molestation can actually overcome their abuse and live normal lives. It's not easy, but it can happen.

But it's kind of hard to overcome being killed by a drunk driver, no matter how sorry the driver is afterward.

Its the difference between intention though, if someone makes a mistake vs. doing something with intent. Intentions are what causes a problem.

Ardorx said:
No I don't drink and never will because I see the negative effects it has on people. I will never put myself in a position where I may cause harm to myself or to another person.

You judge without drinking. Alcohol is a social thing, and while it has negative effects there is a reason that the majority of the people do it.

The thing is, you judge without taking part in the first place. You are sitting there criticizing, check the skeletons in your closet. I enjoy drinking socially with friends, and I do know my limits. And also, fyi, this is a former alcoholic talking and I can still be responsible while I drink.

Ardorx said:
Exactly. This is a pretty well known fact which is why forgiving drunk drivers is a hilarious thought because they should be aware of what alcohol does to a person.

Most people are aware, like where this discussion is about and why this is a mistake. There are people who literally go out of their way and do it regularly and are irresponsible.

Ardorx said:
You're right! Let's take a look at all the good things that can happen when you drink and drive....

Go on, I'll wait.

You instantly jump to the worst conclusion, by your logic every single time I have sex I am going to get an STD or have a child. There are risks, and you should attempt to be safe, but that doesn't mean that everything is ALWAYS the worst possible scenario.

Ardorx said:

No, I also called it a shithole. I was using it to point out that not every time does someone get behind a wheel will an innocent mother die. You are the one who is trying to act high and mighty.

Ardorx said:
I was going to say the same thing to you a while a go but it's apparent that you have a metal handicap (of which kind, I am unaware) and it would be wrong of me to make light of your unfortunate disability.

A personal attack, the sign of someone failing a debate. I recommended you think before you talk and you state I must have a mental disability. The funniest part is in doing so you actually victimize those who are disabled more than you disable me, congratulations!

You instantly jump to the worst conclusion, by your logic every single time I have sex I am going to get an STD or have a child. There are risks, and you should attempt to be safe, but that doesn't mean that everything is ALWAYS the worst possible scenario.

So you're saying if I put a condom on first, anyone I run over will be ok?

Amir0x said:
230lbs now.
Hmm. Since these calculations can be vary from person to person, and the exact alcohol content of "vodka shot" can be different depending on drinks, so it's impossible to be exact... but you were definitely right around the limit on being legally intoxicated in all states (instant criminal charges), which of course means that that if you hadn't stopped drinking an hour before you would have been undeniably wasted and, depending on the court and state, could have been charged with driving while intoxicated in addition to the normal DUI.

oh and while i was looking up alcohol contents and DUI law (many of which were sites aimed towards young adult males in their early to mid 20s), i noticed many of them had sections about DUI myths, including the warning that coffee just makes you less sleepy and has no absolutely effect on reaction times, judgment making, etc., and that it's a hilariously widespread myth that cops laugh at because they've arrested tons of kids who protested that they drank a bunch of coffee so they can't be drunk (all it did was make them pee more in their jail cell)

xelv

Happy New Year from Puerto Rico, GAF!

I would suggest that out of respect to the community, that you guys just quit the argument because it's going nowhere at this point. Amir0x, you've made your point on how irresponsible your actions were. Guys: If the reason you're still over this argument is so that his mod powers are removen, then that's left for the other mods/admin to decide. The facts here are: Driving drunk is a crime. Amir0x drove while being drunk. Neogaf's TOS only mention of criminality is here:
A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that cursing be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.
As you can see, there's nothing there that warrants a ban for someone who admits commiting a crime, like Amir0x just did. He's not being hateful, or harassing anyone. I don't know how closely mods follow these guidelines, but I see that Amir0x's stupid behavior outside this forum shouldn't mean jackshit.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
:lol Gaf rocking a massive hard on over the opportunity to chastise Amirox over a poor decision that millions of people including myself have made at least once in their life. Everybody makes a poor choice once in a while, or is forced into a situation where the best course of action isn't all that clear. Stop throwing stones you hypocrites.

And happy new years!

missbreedsiddx said:
:lol Gaf rocking a massive hard on over the opportunity to chastise Amirox over a poor decision that millions of people including myself have made at least once in their life. Everybody makes a poor choice once in a while, or is forced into a situation where the best course of action isn't all that clear. Stop throwing stones you hypocrites.

And happy new years!
Millions of people do it guys! Lighten up!

Ganhyun

All I can say is, Happy belated New Years everyone, but damn at the last few pages of this thread.

lsslave is a moron it seems.

Time for my anecdotal evidence. I know people who have family members who were killed by drunk drivers as well, and most of them have not forgiven the drunk driver who took their son/daughter/niece/nephew/etc.

diunxx

Ganhyun said:
All I can say is, Happy belated New Years everyone, but damn at the last few pages of this thread.

lsslave is a moron it seems.

Time for my anecdotal evidence. I know people who have family members who were killed by drunk drivers as well, and most of them have not forgiven the drunk driver who took their son/daughter/niece/nephew/etc.

Well, they are not masters of forgiveness.

whitehawk

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:

And happy new years!
Ya, don't worry, millions drink and drive! So it's okay!

edit: just read a page back. Just gonna post my opinion and then (hopefully) be done with it.

Amirox, you are pretty much advocating drunk driving when you just drove drunk a couple days ago. "Hey guys, don't drink and drive. Oh I did it this one time, but I had to you see, it would have cost $60 for a cab". $60 is nothing when it comes to the safety of someones life. You may have thought that you would be fine, and you're lucky that you are, but I'm pretty sure all drink drivers say the same thing as you do. They think their fine to drive, and then they crash and kill someone.

I'm glad that you understand what you did was wrong, but don't try to make up excuses and reasoning for your actions. A $60 cab ride is not an excuse, taking caffeine is not an excuse and not drinking for ONE hour, is not an excuse. What you did was idiotic and selfish, and you just need to accept that and learn from your mistake.

Boogie

Hey ami, let's play "Guess who typed this quote"

It is not the "righteous and mighty" gathering to pounce, it's the FACT that if you drive while drunk you are being a little douchebag prick who likely deserves to be beaten in the face with a spiked bat

So, who gets to wield the bat?

I volunteer, and I'm such a nice guy, ami, that's I'll forego the bat.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Boogie said:
Dear Amirox:

Fuck you, you obese, irresponsible, selfish, violent menace to society.

kthx bye

Seriously, fuck off. I didn't have a problem with you before, but that is a bit bullshit. That is not even fucking cool, NOT fucking cool.

You can call him on it, while I think its a mistake he made and not a serious problem, but calling his weight into it?

GROW UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom