• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX Steam store page is up. Releasing before FF15

Falk

that puzzling face
Does FF8 have boosters ? I forgot.

It started off with allowing you to boost yourself to a shit ton of many Magic abilities (but not the endgame ones)

Later on, completely out of the blue Squeenix dropped a patch that included more boosts like fast forward, etc.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that FFVII on Steam didn't get stuff like that, especially when the PS4 version did.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
And I see a similarity here too, where you should have no personal investment in minimizing the faults of this port, but somehow, either emotionally or financially, you do.

or maybe some people just don't care as much? it's actually possible. and the wipey-gripey assertions that someone is incentivized to say how they feel can easily apply to your own readiness to make a volcano out of a mountain out of a molehill.

Falk

that puzzling face
And I see a similarity here too, where you should have no personal investment in minimizing the faults of this port, but somehow, either emotionally or financially, you do.

I mean if you wanted to call someone out for shilling because they're involved with Final Fantasy you should be yelling at me, not him. :V

I didn't even know this port was coming out

woopWOOP

Oh wow, awesome. Was watching a friend playing through FF7 for the first time earlier. He's enjoying it and I told him that personally both FF7 and FF9 are my favorites, but there wasn't a good way to play the latter on PC and that I never finished it myself because the battles take so damn long so I couldn't really recommend it.

BAM, Steam port with high speed modus coming this year. Atleast I know what to get him for his birthday now, lol

Hyllian

It could be better. I made some tests here with screencaps from ps1 emus and Retroarch filters (Ignore the 3D models):

Super-xBR-3p
retroarch-0107-201757iwsuo.png

Super-xBR-3p + Natural Vision
retroarch-0107-201202k2sui.png

Super-xBR-3p + AdaptiveSharpen
retroarch-0107-2014066psmp.png

Super-xBR-3p + Natural Vision + AdaptiveSharpen
retroarch-0107-2015258oslv.png

And the last one, four times the original resolution (a bit cropped, as my display is only 768p :( ):
retroarch-0107-1951525waxe.png

Elios83

It could be better. I made some tests here with screencaps from ps1 emus and Retroarch filters (Ignore the 3D models):

Super-xBR-3p

And the last one, four times the original resolution (a bit cropped, as my display is only 768p :( ):

OMG my eyes...it hurts :O

Btw it's clear that using the same low res backgrounds as a basis there wouldn't be miracles.
I'm surprised they bothered to improve the models.

OMG my eyes...it hurts :O

Btw it's clear that using the same low res backgrounds as a basis there wouldn't be miracles.
I'm surprised they bothered to improve the models.

Like with the Disgaea PC port I'd rather they implemented CRT shaders than mess with all this filtering nonsense. I generally dislike filters that smear the pixel art around.

People have already begun to play with the backgrounds and got really decent results. The modders will make this game look great.

Yep, guess it will be modern that will turn to fill the game with as many original HD assets as possible, then they'll have to upscale manually

People have already begun to play with the backgrounds and got really decent results. The modders will make this game look great.

This is based off original high-res source art though, which doesn't exist for every background. There is a lot of high res 'lost art' but it's only a tiny fraction of all the art.

jholmes

I love how quick people are to call things "lazy" when they don't have to look at budgets or P&Ls like actual businesses do.

I respect that this is a business and just because I'd really like Square-Enix to do Thing X or Thing Y to their game, doesn't mean that it's cost-effective for them to do.

With that said this is a port, not something they are building from scratch, and Square-Enix is right now charging $22.49 Canadian for their very bare-bones FFVI mobile port, so I'm understandably prepared for this port to cost at least as much, if not more. I could get the game on PSN for less than half that so there's a premium I'm paying. I'm not expecting the world out of this port, but I think it's fair to expect more than the bare bones treatment. They aren't asking me to pay a bare bones price, after all.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is based off original high-res source art though, which doesn't exist for every background. There is a lot of high res 'lost art' but it's only a tiny fraction of all the art.

Specifically what you quoted is using modern upscale algorithms.

I'm surprised Waifu2x looks decent. It's more meant to tackle lineart, not FFIX's vibrant artstyle, not to mention the source is rather low res.

Timeaisis

Super-xBR-3p

Hmm...no. Not unless I was looking for FFIX: Impressionism Edition

OnFire331

Specifically what you quoted is using modern upscale algorithms.

I'm surprised Waifu2x looks decent. It's more meant to tackle lineart, not FFIX's vibrant artstyle, not to mention the source is rather low res.

The source is extracted directly from the game. That particular background is bigger because you scroll through it in-game. Some guy from reddit extracted most backgrounds directly from the game (367 images):
http://imgur.com/a/A09TB

The game is freaking beautiful. Best art design of the series IMO.

Currently the best way to upscale is using waifu upscale with no noise reduction, so the detail remains, there are no algorithms made anywhere that will that will do anything other than make it a blurry mess otherwise.

OnFire331

That's awful, at least with the original art I can see flowers being flowers, not flat polygonal shapes....

It's not perfect but this is honestly close to the best result you could get without having to resort to touching up the image manually or doing models based on the extracted background and rendering it like some insane guys are already doing for FFVII.

It's not perfect but this is honestly close to the best result you could get without having to resort to touching up the image manually or doing models based on the extracted background and rendering it like some insane guys are already doing for FFVII.

Jesus christ seriously?

DSix

Banned

dkyjwc.png

eyYjGZX.gif

Damn that waifu2x filter is amazing. Square should use it for all their PS1 ports. I hope FF9 isn't too hard to mod.

WolvenOne

Honestly, I'm open to people trying to touch up the backgrounds, if they do a good job of it. I can tell a couple of these filter examples shown above are really quick-n-dirty attempts, and probably not anywhere near indicative of what could be done with somebody that had a better idea what they were doing, or even if they just had more time.

That said, if people are going to touch up the backgrounds, it'd be nice if they could start off with swapping out the high-res lost assets that're already out on the internet and all that. I know that's only a very small fraction of the total backgrounds, but it'd be a start at least.

Either way, I'll enjoy playing the game again though.

PS: nnedi3-rpow2 is probably the best of the filters, as far as I can tell. Waifu2 looks a bit too oversaturated, and a bit smudged at spots. That's not to say either look bad mind you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Damn that waifu2x filter is amazing. Square should use it for all their PS1 ports. I hope FF9 isn't too hard to mod.

It doesn't look too dissimilar to the results we can get with epsxe + openGL2 plugin and its shader options.

I'm more curious just what the hell is making this a 20GB port. That is approx 10x content the original game has .. is it just lossless FMV's ? That can't be it ...

AgeEighty

It doesn't look too dissimilar to the results we can get with epsxe + openGL2 plugin and its shader options.

I'm more curious just what the hell is making this a 20GB port. That is approx 10x content the original game has .. is it just lossless FMV's ? That can't be it ...

I can't think of much else it could be. Other than an error in the listing, but if it is it hasn't been corrected.

Lothar

Banned
Maybe this will be the point at which I start trying out final fantasy games. I have no idea where to start with them. I gave up on bothering with 7 since it was spoiled for me and that turned me off wanting to try. I have 13 but haven't got round to it, and know that it isn't considered a great place to start

7 was spoiled for all of us that were online when it came out. Being spoiled on it's story is no big deal. The greatness of 7 is not with the plot twists but with the atmosphere. I would say start with 7 or X.

DSix

Banned

Check again, the second picture is an animated gif before/after.

I played my PS1 games on ePSXe quite a bit with the best opengl2 plugins I could get my hands on, and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as that. Waifu is a lot less destructive to the picture.

Check again, the second picture is an animated gif before/after.

I played my PS1 games on ePSXe quite a bit with the opengl2 plugin, and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as that. Waifu is a lot less destructive to the picture.

Yup. I hope we will have a way to mod all these backgrounds with waifu2x.

Yarbskoo

Honestly, I'd probably just prefer a simple upscale with maybe some faint noise to blend the colors a bit.
B8Eb.png

Still blurry of course, but I'd probably prefer it to the color blobs you get with other filters.

Taruranto

Wow this is looking like a hot mess.

Hopefully S-E treats the best game in the series, FF8, better than this when it comes time to upscale that one.

Those tiled backgrounds remind me of how ugly FF6 turned out in the mobile version. I doubt FF9 is anybody's favorite (it's the least popular of the PS1 RPGs), but it deserved better treatment than this at least.

Between the poorly upscaled visuals and the awful Zidane being the worst protagonist in the series, I think I'll give this release a hard pass.

lzI3DkH.gif

3/10

You tried.

How did Vivi end up in Chrono Cross Temporal Vortex ?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm moderately amused that there's an upscaler called waifu. Just read that it's made for 2D art, so that makes sense.

artsi

It looks pretty good, but they will need to apply it to 400+ something backgrounds with animation and layers so let's see if anyone does it.

Dunkley

I might just be seeing things but I definitely feel like the models have been improved over the PS1 original. Going through that effort, why aren't they at least upfiltering the backgrounds as well, or am I missing something here?

Falk

that puzzling face
It looks pretty good, but they will need to apply it to 400+ something backgrounds with animation and layers so let's see if anyone does it.

I mean, a lot of that can be automated. Majority of the effort would be seeing if anything breaks or looks off.

I might just be seeing things but I definitely feel like the models have been improved over the PS1 original. Going through that effort, why aren't they at least upfiltering the backgrounds as well, or am I missing something here?

I know we're on page 9 but read the thread. At least the last 4 pages or so.

artsi

I mean, a lot of that can be automated. Majority of the effort would be seeing if anything breaks or looks off.

Oh yeah, I could write a script to do the scaling to a bunch of images even myself, but I feel it still requires some manual overseeing for a good result.

Top Bottom