• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX Steam store page is up. Releasing before FF15

Grief.exe

You are essentially forced to play these games on PC since Square does such a piss poor job with these ports.

The FFVI modding community is already up and running, they have found a way to replace all of the sprites with the originals, if you so choose, and have removed the absolutely inexplicable filter that Square uses to blur out the sprites. The originals do look better than the new sprites, but the new ones actually look pretty good once you remove the filter.

Hyllian

When I played FF9 last year, I tried a lot of upsampling styles, but none felt really adequate.

In the end, I think that the best option for high-res displays is to render at high resolution (to get rid of all aliasing on 3D stuff), downsample to the original background resolution, and then render the result with a good CRT shader.

That's the only way to achieve consistency between the back- and foreground while still having a pleasing high-res image (and no 3D artifacts).

I fail to see the upgrade on aliasing. If you downcale even the 3D models to original resolution, all benefits of anti-aliasing are neutralized.

Tested it here using N64 core on RA and the output is the same to my eyes. The tests were:

1- Run an N64 game with original internal resolution, so the 3D models are aliased and then apply a crt shader to 4x the size.

2- Run an N64 game with 4x times the internal resolution so that the 3D models get rid of aliasing, then apply a downscale of 4x using a box filter (stock.cg), then upscale again using a crt shader.

No differences in my eyes.

If I use a better downscale as bicubic, it only add some blurring artifacts.

Falk

that puzzling face
The idea is you're downsampling from an integer multiple of the exact resolution the original backgrounds have, to that exact resolution. Which means they shouldn't get blurred at all, while 3D elements get essentially a square grid downsample AA.

It also requires all other elements, like dialogue boxes, fonts, etc to be exacting so they're similarly not affected by the downsample.

atbigelow

Did the original game run at 15 or 30fps? I can''t remember.
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif

Same as the other PS1 FF's: 15 during battle and the overworld, 30 everywhere else. FF9's framerate doesn't seem locked to 15 in battles, though. There are certain cases when it goes up.

AgeEighty

Having never finished a FF game, this is the one I was most curious to try. I really hope it has proper controller support though.

The Steam page lists "partial" controller support as a feature, which seemed weird to me. Any perspective on exactly what that means?

The Steam page lists "partial" controller support as a feature, which seemed weird to me. Any perspective on exactly what that means?

It works 99% in game but not on the Square Enix launcher used to start it, and you hit Escape to quit the game in lieu of a power button.

That's the case with FF7 and FF8.

Grampasso

I'm looking forward to this but I'm hoping for a Chrono Cross release sooner or later, seems like SE really doesn't care about it :/

I'm looking forward to this but I'm hoping for a Chrono Cross release sooner or later, seems like SE really doesn't care about it :/

Chrono Cross got a bunch of re-releases including Greatest Hits, Ultimate Hits, "Millennium Edition" (featuring a calendar, clock, and music sampler), PSN, etc. It's only a matter of time.

Didn't 7 not have proper menu support or something?
I imagine that would seriously annoy me.

I don't remember having issues with the menus. The only thing was the game not having recognizable button icons, so you had better have memorized which buttons were "action", "select", etc, or those minigames like the troop parade were over before they began.

AgeEighty

Something interesting I noticed in this video someone made comparing shot-for-shot the scenes in the trailer with the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifJIMUJnvsg

The original version is distorted because they stretched it to match the widescreen aspect ratio of the trailer footage. Even so, you can tell just how much sharper the FMV footage from the trailer is. But that's not the most interesting part: In the side-by-side you can see that some of the footage from the trailer actually had rasterized credits displayed over it in the original version, and doesn't in the new version. If they had just upscaled the PSOne video files, those would have been extremely difficult for them to edit out for the trailer since they were just a part of the video.

Unless I'm missing something, that basically confirms that S-E still had the higher-res source files for the FMVs kicking around.

etking

Banned
One of my least favorite FF games, I prefer VI - VIII. I got bored somewhere on the 3rd disk the last time I tried it and never finished it.

AgeEighty

One of my least favorite FF games, I prefer VI - VIII. I got bored somewhere on the 3rd disk the last time I tried it and never finished it.

I found VIII to be pretty uniformly awful, and a major letdown from VII. IX is my favorite in the series by a pretty wide margin.

Durante

I fail to see the upgrade on aliasing. If you downcale even the 3D models to original resolution, all benefits of anti-aliasing are neutralized.

Tested it here using N64 core on RA and the output is the same to my eyes. The tests were:

1- Run an N64 game with original internal resolution, so the 3D models are aliased and then apply a crt shader to 4x the size.

2- Run an N64 game with 4x times the internal resolution so that the 3D models get rid of aliasing, then apply a downscale of 4x using a box filter (stock.cg), then upscale again using a crt shader.

No differences in my eyes.
Either something is wrong with your eyes or something is wrong with your process :p

The idea is you're downsampling from an integer multiple of the exact resolution the original backgrounds have, to that exact resolution. Which means they shouldn't get blurred at all, while 3D elements get essentially a square grid downsample AA.
Exactly.

WolvenOne

Honestly, I'm still kind hoping that people can track down most the lost background raws somehow. I mean I know that in CRT mode the backgrounds look pretty good and all, but, why compromise. XD

That said, yeah I really have mixed feelings about those filters used on some backgrounds. Some look fine, but others look kinda, bad.

I get the feeling this will be available for purchase right after i spend my last bit of spare cash for the month. Or it'll be like FFXHD and get announced what feels like decades before it was released.

Roxas

Its releasing on the 21st of January no?

At least thats what im assuming after looking at the upcoming titles list on steam. Its placed with all the other releases on the 21st.

AgeEighty

Its releasing on the 21st of January no?

At least thats what im assuming after looking at the upcoming titles list on steam. Its placed with all the other releases on the 21st.

Maybe. Or that could still be an artifact from when it was listed as "January 2016". Guess we'll find out.

Falk

that puzzling face
Even so, you can tell just how much sharper the FMV footage from the trailer is

A lesser known bit of trivia is that the original FF8 on PC had higher resolution FMV than the PSX counterpart.

So yeah, not surprised it exists. Unlike the backgrounds which were probably touched up/edited/animated at PSX resolutions, there's no reason the high res FMVs should be significantly different from the resized/encoded-for-PSX versions.

Looks like they cropped it though. If they had the source, why not show more sides?

The source is quite likely 4:3 aspect. This was a 1999 video game.

Unless I'm missing something, that basically confirms that S-E still had the higher-res source files for the FMVs kicking around.

This has been pretty obvious since the days when Sakaguchi was posting dumb renders with the old FF9 CG models on the Mistwalker blog at random; if he has them still, one can assume SE probably does too. It's 7 and 8 where stuff was lost, primarily 7. The sources for the backgrounds in their final forms appear to be gone though.

AgeEighty

So yeah, not surprised it exists. Unlike the backgrounds which were probably touched up/edited/animated at PSX resolutions, there's no reason the high res FMVs should be significantly different from the resized/encoded-for-PSX versions.

Well, it's never been clear exactly what they still have and what they don't. Most of the discussion around the subject has been pure speculation. And since FFIX was a Square USA production and more of it was farmed to subcontractors than other FF titles of the era (including the FMVs from what I understand), the picture has always been even hazier.

This has been pretty obvious since the days when Sakaguchi was posting dumb renders with the old FF9 CG models on the Mistwalker blog at random; if he has them still, one can assume SE probably does too. It's 7 and 8 where stuff was lost, primarily 7. The sources for the backgrounds in their final forms appear to be gone though.

I never have read the Mistwalker blog. But hey: if they still have the CG models, there's hope that one day those could be employed in a remake if they ever decide to fully re-do the environments.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game now appears in the "new releases" list, but the store page still says "Coming Soon".

I wonder if it's actually out today....

Tenebrous

The game now appears in the "new releases" list, but the store page still says "Coming Soon".

I wonder if it's actually out today....

It's listed between the Jan 30th & Feb 1st titles for me, so any either of those (or the 31st) would be my guess. Not expecting it today (29th in the UK).

We've been through this already so not getting my hopes up won't lie my heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread back up on the front page. :/

This is a edited pictures with the background "Lost Art"
(ePSXe vs Lost Art vs PS1 240p)

1452180212-lost-art-4.gif

1452180204-lost-art-1.gif

1452180210-lost-art-2.gif

1452180206-lost-art-3.gif

Oh. This sort of breaks my heart a little. But I know, as Falk said, the amount of work to track down the original files (which I'm sure are not compiled neatly on a hard drive somewhere) to restore something like this would be cost-prohibitive. At least we have the delightful Mama Robotnik thread.

Top Bottom