• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2016: January 3rd - 10th.

Roubjon

This is the worst. I have no idea what's happening and it's like watching jpeg slugs move around a brown maze. I did enjoy the sensing soul bit though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Catching up over several days.

Little sad I missed Mario block live, but god damn I knew it was going to be amazing.

Dram for life.

I wasn't going to say anything, but it keeps getting brought up and I don't feel any better about it after yesterday, so.

As a long time rhythm game player, everything about the StepMania Showcase feels like a slap in the face.

Rhythm games have an incredibly long and rich history in Japan. The most storied franchises had their start in the 1990s and are still going today. It's an incredible genre with huge diversity, with not only Konami (who still develop rhythm games despite having abandoned seemingly everything else) holding the torch but Sega, Taito, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Andamiro, and many others consistently contributing new titles every year. There is no shortage of truly innovative products that could have been featured.

After all this, after the entire genre and its player base has fought long and hard to reach some sort of recognition outside of Japan, what did we get? A fan-produced simulator of DDR that no doubt is popular simply because you can download it and any content any random person created for free.

Fan-made offshoots like StepMania would never have even existed if not for the pioneers of the genre creating the gameplay design it shamelessly rips off in the first place. And now everyone who watched AGDQ thinks rhythm games are little more than robots performing 1500 APM input spams of little variety or imagination rather than fully fleshed out, approachable, accessible experiences.

It's as if they decided to have a fighting game showcase and instead of Street Fighter, they decided to showcase Mugen.

If you watched the StepMania Showcase and thought it interesting but not for you, please, please consider giving the many rhythm games on the market a try for yourself. The PS Vita (and by extension, the PS TV) has an incredible wealth of music titles, with Superbeat: XONiC and Persona 4 Dancing All Night having hit just within the four months alone to join classics like DJMAX Technika Tune. Sega has been busy too, having released Project DIVA on PS3/Vita and Project Mirai on 3DS as a result of fan demand. Square Enix has also published the lauded Theatrhythm series, based on Final Fantasy music and soon to expand to cover music from other series, on 3DS as well. And this isn't just a recent trend; going backwards, you can find rhythm hits on any platform, from Gitaroo Man to Elite Beat Agents.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Round1 (with locations in California, Texas, Illinois, Washington State, and Massachusetts) you can also play an amazing variety of imported Japanese arcades such as beatmania IIDX (still considered by many to be the pinnacle of the rhythm game genre), pop'n music, Sound Voltex, Guitar Freaks and DrumMania, Groove Coaster, CROSSxBEATS, Taiko no Tatsujin, and tons more. And the coming months, Dave & Buster's will bring back Dance Dance Revolution, which has continued to iterate and refine its formula despite the previous North American distributor's complete mishandling of the franchise.

There are a huge amount of rhythm games out there. If you were intrigued and think you might enjoy them but were put off by the difficulty of things shown off at AGDQ, please know that the genre doesn't just cater to that sort of gameplay. Please give the games a shot for yourself; I love the genre, and the last thing I want is for people to think it totally inaccessible if you haven't been playing them for years already.

I wasn't going to say anything, but it keeps getting brought up and I don't feel any better about it after yesterday, so.

As a long time rhythm game player, everything about the StepMania Showcase feels like a slap in the face.

Rhythm games have an incredibly long and rich history in Japan. The most storied franchises had their start in the 1990s and are still going today. It's an incredible genre with huge diversity, with not only Konami (who still develop rhythm games despite having abandoned seemingly everything else) holding the torch but Sega, Taito, Capcom, Andamiro, and many others consistently contributing new titles every year. There is no shortage of truly innovative products that could have been featured.

After all this, after the entire genre and its player base has fought long and hard to reach some sort of recognition outside of Japan, what did we get? A fan-produced simulator of DDR that no doubt is popular simply because you can download it and any content any random person created for free.

Fan-made offshoots like StepMania would never have even existed if not for the pioneers of the genre creating the gameplay design it shamelessly rips off in the first place. And now everyone who watched AGDQ thinks rhythm games are little more than robots performing 1500 APM input spams of little variety or imagination rather than fully fleshed out, approachable, accessible experiences.

It's as if they decided to have a fighting game showcase and instead of Street Fighter, they decided to showcase Mugen.

If you watched the StepMania Showcase and thought it interesting but not for you, please, please consider giving the many rhythm games on the market a try for yourself. The PS Vita (and by extension, the PS TV) has an incredible wealth of music titles, with Superbeat: XONiC and Persona 4 Dancing All Night having hit just within the four months alone to join classics like DJMAX Technika Tune. Sega has been busy too, having released Project DIVA on PS3/Vita and Project Mirai on 3DS as a result of fan demand. And this isn't just a recent trend; going backwards, you can find rhythm hits on any platform, from Gitaroo Man to Elite Beat Agents.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Round1 (with locations in California, Texas, Illinois, Washington State, and Massachusetts) you can also play an amazing variety of imported Japanese arcades such as beatmania IIDX (still considered by many to be the pinnacle of the rhythm game genre), pop'n music, Guitar Freaks and DrumMania, Groove Coaster, CROSSxBEATS, and tons more. And the coming months, Dave & Buster's will bring back Dance Dance Revolution, which has continued to iterate and refine its formula despite the previous North American distributor's complete mishandling of the franchise.

There are a huge amount of rhythm games out there. If you were intrigued and think you might enjoy them but were put off by the difficulty of things shown off at AGDQ, please know that the genre doesn't just cater to that sort of gameplay. Please give the games a shot for yourself; I love the genre, and the last thing I want is for people to think it totally inaccessible if you haven't been playing them for years already.
I'm a huge Rhythm Game fan and I think you're overreacting. This will make the genre more popular if anything.

I know of tons of people who picked up high level Tetris after last years showcase

Still, I support your recommendations, everyone should pick up one of the mentioned games.

I'm a huge Rhythm Game fan and I think you're overreacting. This will make the genre more popular if anything.

I know of tons of people who picked up high level Tetris after last years showcase

Still, I support your recommendations, everyone should pick up one of the mentioned games.

I think there's a huge difference in how Tetris was received and how StepMania was received.

Tetris, while insanely impressive, is still recognizable. Anyone who has played Tetris can at least follow what's going on in the screen. They were playing incredibly fast but in the end, they were still dropping tetriminos onto a playing field. That's innately relatable.

StepMania, on the other hand, is incomprehensible even to people who might have played DDR. And the runners even took steps to obfuscate the interface further as the showcase went on. It was an incredible display of technical skill, but it was not skill the audience could relate to or even begin to follow.

Kalavaras

Banned
Diablo2 might just be my favorite game of all time and Ive never watched a speed run. Didnt even know what to expect, farming Countess for runes didnt come to my mind for sure though. This is good stuff and brings back so much good memories.

I also didnt know you could stack stamina pots. I didnt really even use them though so whatever lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mainstream acceptance of rhythm games will always come down to two contributing factors:

- The platform it is available on
- The music derived within the games

There's a reason why certain people only ever played games like DDR, or Guitar Hero, or Rock Band, or Rhythm Tengoku, or Ouendan. Some people will enjoy all, a majority of players will stick to what they feel most comfortable with (likely due to the music choices available to them)

keffri

The RNG for the maps in Diablo 2 can really affect your time. It felt like I always would hit a dead end first before finding the exit.

jblank83

Diablo2 might just be my favorite game of all time and Ive never watched a speed run. Didnt even know what to expect, farming Countess for runes didnt come to my mind for sure though. This is good stuff and brings back so much good memories.

I also didnt know you could stack stamina pots. I didnt really even use them though so whatever lol

I'm reinstalling Diablo 2 and LOD from the original discs right now.

What a great game.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is the awful games block up on the YouTube channel or archived yet? Wanna watch that after work tonight

cooltraineradam

Neo Member
Kinda bummed that I haven't been able to watch much this year, I've loved every bit that I've seen so far. Gonna catch up on a lot of it when I've got a bit of time

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I can guarantee you that if you took the time to read the (albeit barebones) OP the archived runs are there.
I'm at work I was just asking mate don't be hating I did read op days ago
As of last night the latest runs on the YouTube page were metroid

TUSR

Banned
I'm at work I was just asking mate don't be hating I did read op days ago
As of last night the latest runs on the YouTube page were metroid
I edited my post because it sounded aggressive af.

Sorry mate. I'll be home in a bit and will hook you up with what I can find.

Kumubou

I think there's a huge difference in how Tetris was received and how StepMania was received.

Tetris, while insanely impressive, is still recognizable. Anyone who has played Tetris can at least follow what's going on in the screen. They were playing incredibly fast but in the end, they were still dropping tetriminos onto a playing field. That's innately relatable.

StepMania, on the other hand, is incomprehensible even to people who might have played DDR. And the runners even took steps to obfuscate the interface further as the showcase went on. It was an incredible display of technical skill, but it was not skill the audience could relate to or even begin to follow.
There's another issue that I have with comparing the two runs. The TGM exhibition (especially the second one with half of the GM-rank players in the world) was at the highest levels of play -- there were only a few people in the world that would have come close to that. Whereas the StepMania play honestly was not at that level for music-rhythm ganes. That's not to say what they're doing is easy, but between the limited inputs involved and the loose timing windows default StepMania uses, there are some games that can get even more intense. Hell, let's take this to its logical conclusion and ask for an Overjoy BMS exhibition. (OK, that would be just as spammy and incomprehensible, but it would have been even more ridiculous).

Although regarding the interface, let's be honest -- that's how every LR2, ITG or DM player plays. :x

TUSR

Banned

Rhythm games have an incredibly long and rich history in Japan. The most storied franchises had their start in the 1990s and are still going today. It's an incredible genre with huge diversity, with not only Konami (who still develop rhythm games despite having abandoned seemingly everything else) holding the torch but Sega, Taito, Capcom, Andamiro, and many others consistently contributing new titles every year. There is no shortage of truly innovative products that could have been featured.

If you watched the StepMania Showcase and thought it interesting but not for you, please, please consider giving the many rhythm games on the market a try for yourself. The PS Vita (and by extension, the PS TV) has an incredible wealth of music titles, with Superbeat: XONiC and Persona 4 Dancing All Night having hit just within the four months alone to join classics like DJMAX Technika Tune. Sega has been busy too, having released Project DIVA on PS3/Vita and Project Mirai on 3DS as a result of fan demand. And this isn't just a recent trend; going backwards, you can find rhythm hits on any platform, from Gitaroo Man to Elite Beat Agents.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Round1 (with locations in California, Texas, Illinois, Washington State, and Massachusetts) you can also play an amazing variety of imported Japanese arcades such as beatmania IIDX (still considered by many to be the pinnacle of the rhythm game genre), pop'n music, Sound Voltex, Guitar Freaks and DrumMania, Groove Coaster, CROSSxBEATS, and tons more. And the coming months, Dave & Buster's will bring back Dance Dance Revolution, which has continued to iterate and refine its formula despite the previous North American distributor's complete mishandling of the franchise.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1167992

I would have preferred to see a rhythm game with its own controller, such as DDR or beatmania, instead of using keyboard for Stepmania. But that might have been a little harder to set up.

Nanashrew

Banned
I thought Stepmania was amazing and in GAF chat we were spamming lyrics and having fun as we devolved into normal chat from the music. We need more rhythm games after that!

Top Bottom