• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

zroid

Banned
jYvw8n4zcgI3B.png

jCBLqgh67pTLf.png

(Game Info)

• Platform: Nintendo 3DS
  • Release:
    Japan: February 16, 2012
    North America: July 3, 2012
    Europe: July 6, 2012
  • Developer: indieszero (Electroplankton, Retro Game Challenge)
  • Publisher: Square Enix
  • Genre: Rhythm action, with RPG elements
  • MSRP: $39.99 (NA)
  • Players: 1, with a 2-4 local multi mode

Box art: (North America, Europe)
jbrZ8ri0F4TInC.jpg
jMeP7YGnnI0yl.jpg

Interior:
TUaiMl.jpg

A demo is now available on the European eShop, including The Man with the Machine Gun (FF VIII, Battle) and Sunleth Waterscape (FF XIII, Field). Check it out, if you can!

UPDATE! demo available in North America as well, finally

jYNY8R48qawP7.png

(Premise)

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is Square Enix's 25th Anniversary commemoration of its esteemed Final Fantasy franchise. It bears a plot similar to Dissidia, wherein the gods "Chaos" and "Cosmos" are at war. Cosmos calls upon the Final Fantasy warriors featured here to restore balance to the world through music.

inFux5U6DOU02.png

(Gameplay)

Theatrhythm plays out as a series of stages, each a song from Final Fantasy I through XIII (about 70 are included on the cart).

There are three "types" of stages, generally related to the specific tracks they accompany:
  • Battle -- Pick four warriors and "fight" enemies by playing along with the music.
  • Field -- Choose a warrior and trek through the game’s scrolling scenery. Chocobos are known to appear!
  • Event -- Tap and slide along with the music as FMV from the corresponding game plays in the background.

There are three difficulty levels for each stage: "Basic", "Expert", and "Ultimate"

Mechanistically, Theathrhythm functions in a loosely similar fashion to Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, where you tap the 3DS touchscreen as circular triggers appear. The key difference is the triggers show up on the top screen instead, and the position you tap is insignificant.

However, different types of triggers will dictate how the player must interact with the touchscreen:

j48anM5B4vLk5.png
"Touch" trigger;
jXK4lLs5BGkaY.png
"Slide" trigger;
jbt9PDmDAqpb1S.png
"Hold" trigger

Your timing determines how well you score and ultimately your rank for the stage.

As you progress through the game, your characters will level-up and acquire stat bonuses that will help you in your quest to defeat Final Fantasy monsters and collect treasure. Each character has unique attributes and skills that may help in different ways. While you begin with 13 “main” characters at your disposal, including one from each represented game, you will gradually be able to access many more “sub” characters.

There are three game modes to choose from:
(...good things come in threes?)
  • Series -- Select a game (I to XIII) and play through its five initially available songs in succession, including one of each type, as well as the opening and ending themes. Series mode begins at "Basic" difficulty, however you can unlock the higher tiers by completing those stages in...
  • Challenge -- Play any individual song. Here you can also choose to practice without fear of losing.
  • Chaos Shrine -- Play "Dark Notes" that you have collected, which are random pairings of Field and Battle stages. There is also a local multiplayer (2-4p) mode and you can exchange Dark Notes via StreetPass. Download play is not supported for multiplayer.

For a complete list of songs, see the link in the Resources section below.

UPDATE: Famassu has kindly compiled a list of non-DLC songs in this post. Thanks! Not posting it directly here in case anyone considers it a spoiler.

irVSF7RAVRa4A.png

(Main Characters)
ibmP4lM7lpJ5U8.png
iBrwM8BwVn7cn.png
ibyxDJ5YGlTCYL.png
ibw74bvVDk7Csz.png
jlJjkFQIqHSnm.png
jby2EtcYkj48QT.png
jEMswycDBH4PX.png
j8QJTpjJKgHuS.png
jRKDAaYAjHv4N.png
juo4r6TlPZ7k0.png
jEZlYrLfhdCne.png
jb1WujpzEPYzz5.png
jbmhOdz1ihccuE.png

jbcx53uAYLRSmh.png

(Sub Characters)
j187ZMtVYaZjR.png

j2EkYlUQ6H30Z.png

(DLC) Updated 8/24!

At present, DLC is being released in North America and Europe at a rate of 4 songs per week. As with all eShop content, updates occur on Thursdays.

Currently available DLC in North America/Europe (updated weekly through August 2012. DLC has continued to be released since -- check the official website and this thread for more information)

August 30 North America DLC set posted: preview links here
  1. “Final Battle” (FF X - BMS)
  2. “Boss Battle” (FF XII - BMS)
  3. “Dark City Treno” (FF IX - FMS)
  4. “The Decisive Battle” (FF V - BMS)

August 30 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "The Decisive Battle" (FF V - BMS)
  2. "Force Your Way" (FF VIII - BMS)
  3. "Otherworld" (FF X - BMS)
  4. "The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah" (FF XI - FMS)

August 23 North America DLC set posted:
  1. “Otherworld” (FF X - BMS)
  2. “The Royal City of Rabanastre / Town Ward Upper Stratum” (FF XII - FMS)
  3. “The Final Battle” (FF IX - BMS)
  4. “Battle 1” (FF V - BMS)

August 23 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "This is the Last Battle" - (FF III - BMS)
  2. "The Crystal Tower" (FF III - FMS)
  3. "The Castle" (FF VIII - FMS)
  4. "Battle 2" (FF IX - BMS)

August 16 North America DLC set posted:
  1. “Challenge” (FF X - BMS)
  2. “Desperate Fight” (FF XII - BMS)
  3. “Battle 2” (FF IX - BMS)
  4. “The Final Battle” (FF V - BMS)

August 17 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "Challenge" (FF X - BMS)
  2. "Ragnarok" (FF XI - BMS)
  3. "Crystal Cave" (FF III - FMS)
  4. "The Royal City of Rabanastre/Town Ward Upper Stratum" (FF XII - FMS)

August 9 North America DLC set posted:
  1. “Battle Theme” (FF X - BMS)
  2. “The Dalmasca Estersand” (FF XII - FMS)
  3. "The Darkness of Eternity” (FF IX - BMS)
  4. “This is the Last Battle” (FF III - BMS)

August 9 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "Battle 2" (FF IV - BMS)
  2. "Esper Battle" (FF XII - BMS)
  3. "Battle Theme" (FF XI - BMS)
  4. "March of the Dreadnoughts" (FF XIII - FMS)

August 2 North America DLC set posted:
  1. “Movement in Green” (FF X - FMS)
  2. “March of the Dreadnoughts” (FF XIII - FMS)
  3. “Gustaberg” (FF XI - FMS)
  4. “The Crystal Tower” (FF III - FMS)

August 2 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "Movement in Green" (FF X – FMS)
  2. "Sunken Shrine" (FF I – FMS)
  3. "Battle Theme" (FF X – BMS)
  4. "Fight On!" (FF VII – BMS)

July 26 North America DLC set posted:
  1. “A Contest of Aeons” (FF X - BMS)
  2. “The Archylte Steppe” (FF XIII - FMS)
  3. “The Sanctuary of Zi’Tah” (FF XI - FMS)
  4. “Crystal Cave” (FF III - FMS)

July 26 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "Tower of the Magi" (FF II - FMS)
  2. "Battle 1" (FF V - BMS)
  3. "The Darkness of Eternity" (FF IX - BMS)
  4. "Desperate Fight" (FF XII - BMS)

July 19 North America DLC set posted:
  1. "Fight On!" (FF VII - BMS)
  2. "Etro’s Champion" (FF XIII-2 - BMS)
  3. "Battle Theme" (FF XI - BMS)
  4. "Battle 1" (FF III - BMS)

July 19 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "Dungeon" (FF II - FMS)
  2. "Battle" (FF VI - BMS)
  3. "The Dalmasca Estersand" (FF XII - FMS)
  4. "Etro’s Champion" (FF XIII-2 - BMS)

July 12 North America DLC set posted:
  1. "Desperate Struggle" (FF XIII - BMS)
  2. "Sarutabaruta" (FF XI - FMS)
  3. "Battle" (FF VI - BMS)
  4. "Somnus" (FF Versus XIII - FMS)

July 12 Europe DLC set posted:
  1. "The Archylte Steppe" (FF XIII – FMS)
  2. "Matoya’s Cave" (FF I – FMS)
  3. "Battle 1" (FF III – BMS)
  4. "The Final Battle" (FF V – BMS)

The first batch of DLC has been released and is available to purchase in both territories, with each song priced at 90p/€1/$0.99. (Thanks to Chairhome for compiling the links)

1. “Battle Theme 1” (FF II - BMS)
  2. “The Final Battle” (FF IV - BMS)
  3. “Fighters of the Crystal” (FF XI - BMS)
  4. “Fighting Fate” (FF XIII - BMS)
  5. “In Search of Light” (FF V - FMS)
  6. “Cosmo Canyon” (FF VII - FMS)
  7. “Ride On” (FF VIII - FMS)
  8. “A Fleeting Dream” (FF X - FMS)

DLC songs (50 planned) have been made available in Japan at a price of ¥150 each.

Some examples of DLC songs include:
  • Final Fantasy III - Battle to the Death (Battle)
  • Final Fantasy IV - The Final Battle (Battle)
  • Final Fantasy VII - Cosmo Canyon (Field)
  • Final Fantasy IX - Sleepless City Treno (Field)
  • Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Somnus (Field)

jj7kXBQVL8MwR.png

(Reviews)

• Famitsu: 10, 9, 9, 8 (36/40)
  • Nintendo World Report: 9/10
    Nate Andrews said:
    The extent to which developer Indies Zero has built engaging and rewarding hooks into a largely nostalgia-fueled rhythm game with only three input variants, though, is commendable, and makes Theatrhythm far harder to put down than you might think. The size and pliability of the Final Fantasy music library ultimately allows for the game's extensive and difficulty spanning interpretations of each track, and fosters as fulfilling an experience as almost anything else on the 3DS.
  • BordersDown: 8/10
    Jonathan Dornan said:
    Theatrhythm is loaded with a selection of music from one of the most loved and highest regarded series in gaming. Part nostalgia trip, part timeline through the history of an industry giant, there is something for everyone who has ever enjoyed a Final Fantasy game here, with enough challenge and reward to keep players coming back for more.
  • IGN: 8.5/10
    Audrey Drake said:
    Whether you’re a huge Final Fantasy fan or just enjoy great rhythm games with fantastic music, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is certainly for you. Although the RPG elements feel a bit wasted, the varied gameplay options, scaled difficulty settings, and plethora of unlockable goodies still make for an excellent rhythm experience.
  • 1up: B
    Jeremy Parish said:
    I can think of more ambitious ways Square Enix could have marked the occasion, and I wouldn't mind a little more to aim for here than bigger stats and more difficult Chaos Shrine challenges, but Theatrhythm still hits the spot. It's a fun, lightweight diversion that plays up what might be the single universally adored feature of the series (its music).
  • Game Informer: 8/10
    Tim Turi said:
    As a big Final Fantasy fan and enthusiast of video game music in general, I love being able to appreciate these classics in a new way. I’ll always get a chill listening to the intense orchestral version of “One-Winged Angel” or the happy-go-lucky chocobo theme. The tacked-on progression system may be unsatisfying, but it doesn’t stop Theatrhythm from being a fun, simple rhythm game with an amazing musical library.
  • Gamespot: 7.5/10
    Mark Walton said:
    Like the RPG elements, though, the sparse storytelling matters little. This is a throughly entertaining rhythm game, one that proves itself to be as addictive as greats like Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven Fever. It has been lovingly put together in a way that pays great tribute to the Final Fantasy series and its music, without ever taking Aitself too seriously--just one look at the squeal-inducing cuteness of the chibi characters is enough to confirm that.
  • Joystiq: 4/5
    JC Fletcher said:
    Theatrhythm offers a beautiful new way to interact with Final Fantasy's music catalog, and plays with the mechanical conventions of the Final Fantasy series by adapting them into a short-session music game with just the most adorable characters. [...] If you want to see your party issue a hilarious, randomly-generated battle cry like "At last, we tremble mythically for an idiot!" before you're treated to "Mambo de Chocobo," this is the only place to look.
  • Destructoid: 7/10
    Jim Sterling said:
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is beautiful and charming in many respects, but an absolute drudgery in others. At the end of the day, though, unlocking that track from Final Fantasy IX that you just hoped would be there is a special kind of fun that fans will live for. It's just a shame that such fun is not consistent and frequent enough to truly make this the memorable experience it deserves to be.
  • Polygon: 8.5/10
    Phil Kollar said:
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is one of the smartest games Square has released in the FF line in some time. It pulls players in right away but hides a great amount of depth and bonus content. It pays reverence to the past but tries something new and isn't above making a joke or two at its own expense. I have a lot of great memories of Final Fantasy that Theatrhythm brought to mind, but judging by recent releases, Final Fantasy could stand to start hitting some of the notes that Theatrhythm plays so beautifully.
  • GiantBomb: 4/5
    Brad Shoemaker said:
    It probably says a lot that Theatrhythm so ably overcomes the absurdity of its premise and actually ends up deserving a place in the collection of rhythm-gaming Final Fantasy fans (either current or former). [...]If you're looking for an endearingly entertaining rhythm package to occupy your 3DS right now, Theatrhythm fits the bill.
  • Cubed3: 9/10
    Adam Riley said:
    The line-up of songs chosen generally makes or breaks rhythm games, but Square Enix has wisely decided to opt for arguably its aurally strongest series for this new franchise. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy is a masterpiece, that will not only be adored by fans of the RPG series, but anyone who loves music, full stop. A stunning music-based game that any Nintendo 3DS owner should not be without.

Demo & import GAF member impressions:

RyougaSaotome:
It's a surprisingly deep and fun rhythm game. There's of course the 'main mode' where you play the music from each game starting with the OP and finishing with the ED theme. The real depth comes from the other, harder modes with RPG elements and the like.

Just a really great, nostalgic experience and well worth the money. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. XD
Nisa65:
I picked up the Japanese version at launch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've only played FF 7 and FF8 for any great length of time so I'd definitely recommend it to music game fans who are considering it despite not caring too much about the FF series.
kiryogi:
Honestly I think this is a must get for any Final Fantasy fan even if you're not a fan of rhythm games. Its an absolute trip of nostalgia going thru each title and its choice songs/events. And in terms of challenge, the hard mode gets to be pretty crazy. Don't let the easy/normal songs fool you!
Kagari:
I played Suteki da ne and Ronfaure... it seriously made me want to cry it was so good.
trinest:
The game was fun but I didn't get much enjoyment out of it as I don't really like Final Fantasy music.

jp4nLss995oVI.png

(Media)

Video:

jEadK0JWkK7Vm.png

j2nkLwJFQ3kNs.png

(Resources)

Please inform me of any errors or glaring omissions, and I will correct them with haste! Thanks! - Zeer0id (my first OT, go easy on me! :p)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have no idea why, but I'm really really excited for this. It'll be a nice change of pace from Diablo, and I've been in the mood for some good old fashioned FF nostalgia.

I'm thinking of completing 4-9 again once they turn ps1 support on for vita. Seeing as how some of the nostalgia might be seeing scenes and songs I forgot, should I skip this until I beat them again? Could they be a good lead in?

I've only played each game once long ago.

Murrah

Banned
Whoa, had no idea it was coming out so soon. Thanks for the OT and the reminder. Hopefully there's a demo for NA this week

Oh shizzles I got quoted.

The Chaos Shrine (temple/whatever) is where the bulk of the gameplay is IMO. It's where you'll also find a lot of new music as well, so if you don't hear your fav in the 'series' mode, don't give up hope.

Months later and I still play this one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At my job, we have a Theatrythm box that will play a sample of a random song on the game whenever you hit it.

I've hit that thing like 100 times now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not even into Final Fantasy and I still thought the demo was rad. Will buy.

Feep

Banned
Copying my Rhythm RPG flavor, Square Enix? ; )

No, this game is totally different. And really fun. Gonna pick it up!

fatty

I'm really excited about this game and I'm thinking of buying it for my daughter. She watched a lot of FFXIII as I played it and has come to be a fan of that soundtrack. Getting this will expose her to some other great music from the series.

Watching that trailer brought back so many good memories.

Aeana

I'm intrigued by this game. I've not watched any videos beyond the reveal videos, but I'll be picking it up next week since so many of my friends say it's really good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just realized that as a lefty, playing this is going to be a complete bitch.
It is? :(

Playing EBA and Ouendan as a lefty didn't seem so bad. I look at the slide triggers in this game as something you have to do when you write (ie: we push the pen as opposed to pulling it like righties do).

I have my $30 Amazon preorder locked in, not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. Game does look cool though. I really wish the demo was up in NA to help me decide.

zroid

Banned
My thought exactly. Really cool demo. Will this be available digitally? Would be good to have ready. Perfect just one song game.

That would indeed be good. I don't think it'll be available at release unfortunately, but since KH3D is confirmed for the eShop, it wouldn't be too surprising if this shows up as well down the road.

C-Jo

It is? :(

Playing EBA and Ouendan as a lefty didn't seem so bad. I look at the slide triggers in this game as something you have to do when you write (ie: we push the pen as opposed to pulling it like righties do).

I didnt have a problem with Ouendan, but this looks like it has a lot more left to right action going on. I was thinking I'd be covering a good chunk of the screen with my hand. I could do the majority of it with my right hand, but the more intense stuff might be an issue.

It shouldn't be, as the entire display is on the top screen.

Well then! That sounds great.

Kokonoe

Banned
Kinda strange Shantotto is a main character over Prishe.

Anyways, this game looks great and I'm glad to see FFXI music in it as well. I'm not sure if I should wait for digital or not.

but since KH3D is confirmed for the eShop, it wouldn't be too surprising if this shows up as well down the road.

Is it, though? The "Unavailable on the Nintendo eShop" message makes me think otherwise, especially since NSMB2's eShop page is already labeled "Coming soon to the eShop"

I agree though, this would be a perfect digital download.

I want this badly.

On a silly sidenote, wonder why they went out of character order on the US boxart after Squall. Until then if you went up the characters were in order of their games then suddenly Vaan is after Squall.

That would indeed be good. I don't think it'll be available at release unfortunately, but since KH3D is confirmed for the eShop, it wouldn't be too surprising if this shows up as well down the road.
Might wait then. Unless both versions use the same save. Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Nemesis_

The demo was actually pretty fun and I was surprised at how polished the game looked. I think I'll pick this up Day One for sure.

Amazing OT too! Especially for a first!

zroid

Banned
Is it, though? The "Unavailable on the Nintendo eShop" message makes me think otherwise, especially since NSMB2's eShop page is already labeled "Coming soon to the eShop"

I agree though, this would be a perfect digital download.

Yeah I noticed that, but it was confirmed at E3 during the 3DS Showcase, in the form of a KH3D logo when discussing retail games available on the eShop.

Might just mean it won't be available at release, but later on.

Top Bottom