• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unravel 10 hour trial now available on EA Access

statham

I'm stuck. I think I'm near the end of the sea level. I'm right past the part with the four crabs with a trap above them. I can't get the wooden door open due to a piece of wood stuck in the way and can't figure it out. Any help?

I saw on twitch a guy jumped downed, let the crabs get near him, climbed back up, then swung across to get to the other side. He didn't do anything with the trap but swing from it.

Chin35char

I saw on twitch a guy jumped downed, let the crabs get near him, climbed back up, then swung across to get to the other side. He didn't do anything with the trap but swing from it.

Gotch. Yea I was able to get past that no problem. It was the next part that was hard, but I was just thinking too hard, probably from playing too much The Witness. Anyways for anyone stuck where I was, make a knot and keep jumping over the circular log until you can jump through the door!

border

I'll be happy to give it a try. I subscribed to EA Access just to play Battlefront early, and have subsequently forgotten to un-subscribe for month after month afterwards. I guess this is a nice bonus.

elelunicy

Any screenshots from the PC version guys?

I posted these two in the PC screenshot thread.

eJdEOAk.jpg

LKXDvKL.jpg

jamsy

I'm conflicted.

On one hand it's gorgeous and the audiovisuals are a treat. On the other hand, I'm not sure I had much fun playing through the first two levels. There's definitely frustration to be hand, especially with the controls.

border

I am stuck at the seesaw puzzle. Either I missed something in the tutorial or this game just might not be for me.

Karak

I'm conflicted.

On one hand it's gorgeous and the audiovisuals are a treat. On the other hand, I'm not sure I had much fun playing through the first two levels. There's definitely frustration to be hand, especially with the controls.

Ya playing it some more I have to say I can see that. Its not exactly tight and felt a bit off. Easy to get caught up in the graphics and not see some of the issues and collision detection when moving around the environment too.

border

Looking forward to everyone's feedback. Super interested in the game but the "feel" of the game is important in a 2D platformer. I hope it's more similar to Mario, Rayman or Donkey Kong Country in feel than it is to stuff like LittleBigPlanet or Puppeteer.

I'm just one dude, but to me the game feels like other physics-based platformers such as Trine or Little Big Planet.

Wow, what a beautiful game.

Hearing that it's hard and has obtuse puzzles worries me, because I'm not usually good with (nor do I really enjoy) those.

Novocaine

Just picked up a month of access so this is good timing. It looks really nice visually, hopefully the game play is as good.

wouwie

Wow at those screenshots. I'm on a media blackout since the first trailer so i'm trying to avoid as much as possible but i couldn't avoid seeing those two screens when browsing this thread for some impressions.

I really can't wait for this game to come out. Being described as Limbo with colors sounds great since i enjoyed that game a lot (love this this kind of gameplay).

brawly

Why would you refund the cost of a single month subscription?

What a low, cheapskate way to look at things.

Why would I not refund it if I have no use for it afterwards? Not sure what business of yours it is and don't worry, the multi-billion dollar company EA will survive somehow after refunding me.

You cant play the full game with the trial. You know that?

Edit: ah it's restricted to two levels.

Is an EA Access sub even refundable?

If you cancel it I think it refunds you an amount equal to your remaining days.

It's not a full refund.

maxcriden

I'm conflicted.

Ya playing it some more I have to say I can see that. Its not exactly tight and felt a bit off. Easy to get caught up in the graphics and not see some of the issues and collision detection when moving around the environment too.

That's a bummer to hear. I was really looking forward to this game. What kinds of problems with the controls themselves? Do they not feel responsive?

I'm just one dude, but to me the game feels like other physics-based platformers such as Trine or Little Big Planet.

Litlte Big Planet controls are super floaty so that's a bit disappointing to hear.

So it's a demo behind a paywall basically.

Yeah, but in this case it is understandable.

They want to give incentives to their customers, and with the game costing £15 on release there is no way they could give the game away for free considering the cost of the subscription. They call it a trial and that's what it is.

EA Access is still incredible value because of the vault.. being able to trial new games is just a bonus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am stuck at the seesaw puzzle. Either I missed something in the tutorial or this game just might not be for me.

weigh the left end down with a building block

It's charming but I don't like the fixed height jump. Although even if you fail a jump, I don't think you're likely to die as you can pull yourself back up on your wool which is nice.

Fergie

Banned
I downloaded the trial on PC but I can't play it at all. The game either crashes on startup or crashes when starting a new game. I've turned off any running processes that could possibly cause a conflict but to no avail.
Had this issue yesterday too. Just crashes constantly. Uninstalled it to be honest, can't find any solutions or many people having the same issue.

I'm conflicted.

This does not instill confidence. Poor controls in a 2D platformer means I'm out, regardless of how pretty everything is.

The music is beautiful, god damn, the story seem interesting too.

I was expecting very floaty LBP controls, but Yarny seems more grounded. So far, I will probably end up getting it.

The one complaint is me endlessly tying and untying knots, when I accidentally hold down the x button.

This does not instill confidence. Poor controls in a 2D platformer means I'm out, regardless of how pretty everything is.
They're not poor, it's just different. It's a cinematic platformer with physics, much like Limbo. Not even close to LittleBigPlanet which is the worst at that kind. Yarny is more responsive.

Karak

I wouldn't rate them as poor. Just not as tight as I would have expected and there is a bit of jank here and there. Some will not notice or get lost in other things and thats what the world seems primed to deliver.

Vuze

I'm in the shed now and I love it so far. Simple yet fun puzzles, fantastic music, stunningly beautiful and to top it off it runs incredibly well on my rig (about 60-90fps on my 970 @ 4K). Might play the full game on my TV then.

Also controls feel fine to me using an XBO controller, nowhere near LBPs yank or whatever you guys are comparing it to.

E: Some screenshots, "spoilers" of the first 30mins obviously

I posted these two in the PC screenshot thread.

eJdEOAk.jpg

LKXDvKL.jpg
Wow, that looks stunning! What are your PC specs?
Runs good and looks good on PC @4k. I enjoyed what I played so I think I'll pick this up now.
What are your PC specs for 4K/60? After that new DOOM trailer I'm ready to finally put my 2600K/570 to rest; I want to build a machine that will chew up DOOM at 4K and spit it out. And yes, I realize what that'll likely mean!

Haunted

10 hours is a lot more than a demo imo. A demo is usually around 30 minutes, one hour max.
Well, think of this as a one hour demo you can play 10 times, give or take.

I suppose the difference is that your progress isn't erased like in a traditional demo but that you can continue playing from where you left off once you buy the full version.

Top Bottom