• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone)

It's going to be interesting to see what devs do if PSVR is a success (also the standard OR). Why leave money on the table unless your game absolutely cannot be adapted to a different control scheme?
Which is why the PSVR will probably be packed with two Move controllers by default.

428?

Eight?

Rumor debunked.

299+129 = 428.
129 = fairly standard price
299 = fairly standard price.

Not as weird as it looks.

So if I just pull some story out of my ass about talking to a Sony representative and post it here, will someone on Reddit start a "NEOGAF Rumor" thread?
If it sounds reasonable, probably.

Rumors are tricky. On the one hand, it's pretty easy to write something someone says off and call it a day. On the other hand, some people actually do have something to say.
Bloodborne was leaked for example.

If the rumor is true, I'll definitely buy the headset day 1.

Also I want to ask: Will there be any PSVR game that supports local multiplayer? I'll be so happy if I and my brother can play VR game together.

mf.luder

It's confirmed that the move controllers from PS3 are the controllers for PSVR? Source?

If so I'll need to load up.

Rumors are tricky. On the one hand, it's pretty easy to write something someone says off and call it a day. On the other hand, some people actually do have something to say.
Bloodborne was leaked for example.
Yeah, but this one is obviously BS. A "Sony Rep" who knows not only Sony's future secret pricing strategy, but details of PS5.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's confirmed that the move controllers from PS3 are the controllers for PSVR? Source?

Yes, standard PS3 Move controllers remain in use for PS4, but officially DS4 [that everyone has] will be main VR controller.

Oppo

it's what people are using to demo gesture-controlled stuff with PSVR for now, that's all we know. The Media Molecule guys demo Dreams with 2 Moves.

Jesus, from the headline I assumed the $430 bundle would include a console. If that's what they're going to market at, I don't see this working out well. Maybe it hangs along and drops in price around the PS5 launch (which will hopefully have the power to do VR justice) - but VR on the PS4 will be a rich man's game.

Alienfan

It seems priced just fine, but given Sony's previous support with PSvita, PS vita TV and those Playstation 3D TVs - I'm not holding my breath for this catching on. Hoping E3 is able to justify the hardware with some great looking games!

If the rumor is true, I'll definitely buy the headset day 1.

Also I want to ask: Will there be any PSVR game that supports local multiplayer? I'll be so happy if I and my brother can play VR game together.

I don't think the PS4 has the power to pump out two VR signals concurrently to two headsets so nothing like that. That said, there are PSVR games with asymmetrical local multiplayer coming.

Jesus, from the headline I assumed the $430 bundle would include a console. If that's what they're going to market at, I don't see this working out well. Maybe it hangs along and drops in price around the PS5 launch (which will hopefully have the power to do VR justice) - but VR on the PS4 will be a rich man's game.

Really!? No way in hell that could ever be including a console....PSVR, 2 move controllers and a camera....$430! That's what dreams are made of.

I don't think the PS4 has the power to pump out two VR signals concurrently to two headsets so nothing like that. That said, there are PSVR games with asymmetrical local multiplayer coming.
I don't think I will ever buy 2 headsets so any kind of PSVR games that supports local multiplayer will do for me. And except for The PlayRoom, I haven't seen that many games supporting multiplayer. I hope there will be some sport games made for PSVR so that we can play them together.

Shoeless

I'm hoping this rumor is true. That's a reasonable price, and I've already got the camera and Move controllers, so I'd be set with the HMD only package.

Having said that, this does seem too good to be true, and I wouldn't be caught off guard at all if it ends up being much higher than this.

This is probably Sony PR leaking this rumor so that when it actually drops at $399 all of us will be like "well it's only $100 more & still $200 cheaper than Oculus I guess, not bad" and you know what? IT'S ALREADY WORKING ON ME!

I want $299. I just don't believe it.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The starter kit should be $299.99. Talk about a mass adoption price. $400+ is pushing it. Why buy a standalone at $299.99? Chances are folks either don't have the move controllers or the PS camera.

I don't think I will ever buy 2 headsets so any kind of PSVR games that supports local multiplayer will do for me. And except for The PlayRoom, I haven't seen that many games supporting multiplayer. I hope there will be some sport games made for PSVR so that we can play them together.

Yeah, there are only two I can think of off hand (one being the Playroom one and the other being "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"). There might be others I'm forgetting though.

Verendus

Banned
The other thing the Sony rep mentioned is that they were apparently hoping to support the first gen PSVR on the PS5, which should run it even better.
Sorry friend, but jobbers in the company don't know what's going on with the next platform.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I mean you could rebrand them, but I don't see the point. You can't see the controllers when you're in the headset lol. The visual inside the helmet of where to push will be much more important.

They can't have "Start" and "Select" buttons on the PS4 platform.

Seems to me this sounds like they're going to take the manufacturing hit like they do with the console itself. I mean, that's one way to do it.

Really!? No way in hell that could ever be including a console....PSVR, 2 move controllers and a camera....$430! That's what dreams are made of.

It'd be a significant discount, but I feel that's what Sony needs to hit for the PSVR to be appropriately priced. If this rumor is true, the start-from-scratch entry point for Sony's VR solution would be $780. Even if that's nearly a full grand less than what Oculus is entering at, it's still way too expensive for the mass market. Especially without a compelling library of software or functionality.

If anything, this should prove that tech companies are being too eager in their VR push. We have the tech for sure, but it's not a mass market product for 2016.

Occam

Darn it I only have one move controller - should've bought more when they were $10.

Precisely what I did. I already had 2 and bought 2 more when they were $10 last year in anticipation of PS VR (and to play 2-player Move games that require 2 controllers for each player).

CLEEK

Are we sure the PSVR will use the PS3 Move controllers, rather than a PS4 version of them?

Are there any PS4 games that use the PS3 Move controllers already?

Are we sure the PSVR will use the PS3 Move controllers, rather than a PS4 version of them?

Are there any PS4 games that use the PS3 Move controllers already?
All the PSVR demos I've seen so far with the controllers and what my buddy played at PSX (Wayward Sky) was using OG Move wands. Dreams was also being controlled with OG Move wands. I think out now is Octodad and Just Dance that use em.

d5g2QbY.jpg

So this won't work in conjunction with the PS4 at all then huh? It's supposed to be its own pillar? I dunno if there's room in the market for 2 separate products like these with each one priced 300 to 400 bucks, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

So this won't work in conjunction with the PS4 at all then huh? It's supposed to be its own, pillar? I dunno if there's room in the market for 2 separate products like these with each one priced 300 to 400 bucks, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Uh, what? PSVR is for PS4.

Top Bottom