• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone)

Grinchy

Banned
I'm assuming the camera from the PS3 won't work with this? If it does I can actually get the standalone.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I wanted to buy the standalone at that price, but then the accessories later what sort of functionality would I have from the get go. So what games/apps would work day 1,which would need the extra kit?

That depends entirely on the games you play. All the kit includes beside the headset is the camera and the move controllers. Cameras are sold in stores and online. Move controllers can be found on amazon and are still very affordable. Amazon has them for $30 each.

RK128

Not a bad deal honestly; $430+ for the bundle and $299.99 for the standard retail version is great.

Was hoping for it to be at those prices, as it will ensure that people would even consider getting a PS VR.

400 or higher for the base unit is a horrid price :l. At least the 430+ price has everything and likely a bundled game making the deal worthwhile.

Looking forward to learning more about this honestly.

Stike

Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I wanted to buy the standalone at that price, but then the accessories later what sort of functionality would I have from the get go. So what games/apps would work day 1,which would need the extra kit?

You would have the headset and the camera as a minimum.

Then you already have a VR-ready controller because of the light of the DS4.

So you can play pretty much every game that does not explicitly require the Move controller.

The camera is required for the headset to function. The Move controllers may be required on a game by game basis.

I'm assuming the camera from the PS3 won't work with this? If it does I can actually get the standalone.
The PS3 camera won't work.

vpance

I wouldn't think it's a stretch to say that they want to support the PSVR hardware for longer than the remaining lifetime of the PS4.

PS5 compatibility would make sense, at least in early cross gen VR games. Then they can release PSVR 2 a little later.

FireCloud

No, the PS3 camera will not work with it. You'll need the PS4 camera.

There seems to be quite a lot of contention in this thread as to whether Sony will include one with the base headset unit or not. I think it will still be offered separately as that is the most flexible approach to handle the various cases of some customers already having some of the components, e.g. camera, move controllers, etc.

I think they will offer a bundle with the camera and possibly move controllers as well (and possibly a game)...but that will, of course, cost more than the base unit.

If it was provided at zero cost that's fine but I maintain that that would be dumb of them to do considering they have been selling the PlayStation Camera for over 2 years now on its own. I just don't think it's necessary. Sell a headset alone and a headset with a camera. It's not that hard!

The retail space two SKUs like that would eat up wouldn't make sense for the price difference. If they sell the headset by itself it will either be the only headset SKU, will only be available online, or be sold along with a headset bundle that basically includes this rumor's starter bundle (so headset, camera, Move controllers, and a game).

RibMan

I wouldn't think it's a stretch to say that they want to support the PSVR hardware for longer than the remaining lifetime of the PS4.

I think the kind of people who know anything about the PS5 and what it supports are not going to talk about it in any way shape or form before it's announced.

Caleones

Banned
Not bad. People who don't have a PS4 will only need to pay $800+ dollars for a console and VR headset. I'm pretty sure people have money laying around not being used.

$299 for standalone will fly off the shelf. Also you can get a PS4 camera + used PS Move for less than $60. It might be a good idea to go out and buy PS4 Camera now because it might be in a high demand if PSVR takes off.

This past weekend, I spent $100 on a Samsung Gear VR. That's $100 for the housing and some accelerometer sensors as the device requires a $600 cell phone to do most of the heavy lifting. Even then the experience is not all that great. I've been enjoying it but I expect more from PSVR.

I believe I've heard that Sony developed special displays for PSVR to get around a lot of the screen door and refresh rate issues others have commented on with other VR headsets. Even with my Galaxy S6 with it's high PPI display, the screen door effect is quite evident on the Samsung Gear VR. If Sony is using a special display for PSVR, I think there is probably more going on with that device than them throwing together a lot of existing tech to bring out something at a low initial entry price. $299 seems too good to be true to me.

I think there's probably some pretty decent profit margins on the Gear VR, and like you said, it's really just housing and accelerometers with some minor controls, and optics. The Cellphone we already know has massive markups, and includes a metric ton of things that the PSVR won't need. I'm not saying cautious isn't the way to go, I'm just trying to get a guesstimate of where the costs will be higher.

The display could be a higher cost component compared to conventional displays, but Sony also manufactures OLED panels, so R&D could already be a sunk cost.

people said the same thing before the OR price was revealed. Maybe they're just trying to be cautious with PSVR? $299 would be great but I think $399 is absolutely possible too.

Well no one could really figure out the costs based on the BOM alone, so the assumption for many (myself included), is that a decent chunk of that is from engineering costs. Oculus I think is at 200+ staffers now. Sony has a leg in up that aspect, as they're already heavily invested in most of the components involved with VR. There are a few wild card components in my opinion (screen and optics) that could be costly, but the rest seems like pretty standard fare.

I'm super optimistic about it all though, so I'm definitely looking through rose tinted goggles lol.

plainr_

What are you talking about? Move controllers currently have an MSRP of $50 each, the camera has an MSRP of $60. Even if the game is throwaway garbage, that bundle is still a healthy discount off of MSRP at $130.

Why are you looking at MSRP numbers? According to the IHS research group, they have the DS4 controller at an estimated $18 to manufacture. The Move controller which is packing way less tech and parts than the DS4, is several years older so I'm guessing it costs a bit closer to the DS3 ($13-$15) to make.

Sony has already stated they aren't looking to make money off PSVR hardware but through software.

$299 for standalone will fly off the shelf. Also you can get a PS4 camera + used PS Move for less than $60. It might be a good idea to go out and buy PS4 Camera now because it might be in a high demand if PSVR takes off.

This is the part that is tough. Until Sony announces the SKUs and pricing available it may or may not be advantageous for those of us without a PS4 camera or Move controller to purchase them. Buy them now and hope they offer a standalone SKU to save some money, or find out they only offered a bundle SKU or that a bundled SKU is quite cheaper than buying them individually. Risk/reward at play right now, and I'm planning on waiting it out. Especially considering we don't even know prices for the headset yet.

FireCloud

so the price of a ps4. expected...but still the cheapassgamer in me cringes (having not experience VR yet)

My first experience was with a Samsung Gear VR this past weekend. I was wanting to wait but the VR hype got the better of me. I can definitely see the potential for VR though.

Even a simple 360 degree static image was immersive. I found myself looking at pictures of historic sites in Egypt and being amazed at how VR really conveys a sense of presence and scale of the environment it puts you in. Looking up at the great pyramids and other statues was very compelling.

Most of the 360 videos were too low definition to be really called impressive. However, there was one where you were in the back seat of a US Navy Blue Angel jet as it went through its air show routine....that was neat.

I think I now get a glimmer of what VR may be capable of. I'm excited for it.

Edit:
Is the camera going to be different from the current camera?

No, same PS4 camera that has been available since the console's launch.

I'd be ecstatic with this.... I already own the camera and PS Move wands, so $299?? That would be great!

Happy-Will-Ferrell-GIF.gif

TalonJH

That's actually not a bad price for me. I won't jump in until I see some compelling content though

Have you checked this thread out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658. Maybe you can find something that excites you.

I think that's ludicrous... $300 for an accessory to a console is pretty steep.

Has Sony guaranteed that the headset will work with future consoles?

That's part of the rumor in the OP.

Is the camera going to be different from the current camera?

It's the same one on sale right now at retailers.

Mindlog

It's interesting how the $300 price is interpreted. I've seen higher and lower estimates from different groups.

Somewhat disappointed in the decision to stick with Move 1.0 though.

TalonJH

It's interesting how the $300 price is interpreted. I've seen higher and lower estimates from different groups.

Somewhat disappointed in the decision to stick with Move 1.0 though.

Yeah, I would have liked to see analog sticks on them. Otherwise, the tech is solid.

Why are you looking at MSRP numbers? According to the IHS research group, they have the DS4 controller at an estimated $18 to manufacture. The Move controller which is packing way less tech and parts than the DS4, is several years older so I'm guessing it costs a bit closer to the DS3 ($13-$15) to make.

Sony has already stated they aren't looking to make money off PSVR hardware but through software.

I'm looking at MSRP numbers because Sony has a history of bundling things in a certain way. Sony is not going to give away hardware that they sell separately for a certain price at a massive discount. $130 for $160 worth of hardware and a game is a bargain. While I suspect some people might be right that the bundle will be $400 rather than the odd amount rumored, they certainly are not going to erase the perceived value of the camera and move controllers by charging $50 above just the headset for all of that stuff. I guarantee if there are two bundles, the one with the two controllers, camera and game will be $100 or more above just the headset price.

murgo

So, about those Move controllers. What exactly do we need? One motion and one navigational controller?

$_12.JPG

Or two motion controllers?

RedAssedApe

Banned
My first experience was with a Samsung Gear VR this past weekend. I was wanting to wait but the VR hype got the better of me. I can definitely see the potential for VR though.

Even a simple 360 degree static image was immersive. I found myself looking at pictures of historic sites in Egypt and being amazed at how VR really conveys a sense of presence and scale of the environment it puts you in. Looking up at the great pyramids and other statues was very compelling.

Most of the 360 videos were too low definition to be really called impressive. However, there was one where you were in the back seat of a US Navy Blue Angel jet as it went through its air show routine....that was neat.

I think I now get a glimmer of what VR may be capable of. I'm excited for it.

Edit:

No, same PS4 camera that has been available since the console's launch.

my only experience so far has been with Google Cardboard...haha

I think that's ludicrous... $300 for an accessory to a console is pretty steep.

Has Sony guaranteed that the headset will work with future consoles?

That's a pretty silly way of looking at it. Oculus and presumably HTC Vive would still be double the price and people regularly spend $100+ on collector's editions of games and $200 on arcade sticks for the PS4. $300 is a straight up bargain for a VR headset with the specs the PSVR has and I suspect the public will react as such. I would hope Sony would release a much improved headset for PS5 in another 3-5 years when that platform releases and I see little value in a guarantee that an outdated piece of technology might be compatible with something that is years away from releasing.

To be honest $300 sounds too cheap. The hardware is very similar to the Oculus Rift except PSVR also has a processing box that would add to the cost of it and if Palmer said they're barely (Or not at all) making money at the Rift's price point of $600 I can't see Sony going lower especially this much lower.

Anybody thinking something like "Well Sony can afford to take a loss for software purposes" should realize they won't be willing to take that big of a loss if any at all since PlayStation has been in the black and turning around their financials since the PS4 launch.

Top Bottom