• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

fernoca

Nintendo completely missing from the minds and the charts...
On the individual charts they do have more and better precense...like usual. The fact a Wii U game manages to break in the top 10 here and there despite that and even Yoshi managed to do it back in October and Xenoblade did over 200k in December. :p

Boke1879

Really interested to see if Lego TFA will still ride the Star Wars wave once it releases. I think it can become a huge Lego hit, but will it be too late?

Seriously, half the thread is currently dedicated to a random twitter person.

Think about this.

I think Lego TFA will be huge. I know the LE comes with a Finn figure. I got that preordered and I never buy Lego games. It could be pretty big.

Loris146

the sales of [current] generation consoles declined by 8 percent, despite relatively flat unit sales, as average prices dipped by 6 percent as a result of price cuts that took place between January 2015 and January 2016.

This is the quote. Is the wii u included?

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Reading between the lines with what Queso said, the PS4 could potentially have sold north of 225k units this January (+20% or more relating to the "impressive" comments).
IF XB1+PS4 was flat Yoy (339k), and IF I read correctly Queso's comment, that means XB1 has possibly done 114k units or lower (near 25% down Yoy).

Not sure if my maths (based on an implied level of sales) are correct here.

I doubt XB1 is so low, but if is, that's not bad, that's atrocius.

Should mean the second worse month ever, only better than the 77,000 in May 2014 (the month before the pricedrop).

hawk2025

I think Lego TFA will be huge. I know the LE comes with a Finn figure. I got that preordered and I never buy Lego games. It could be pretty big.

Hence my question, it's also the first Lego game in a long while that I'm not waiting until it's significantly cheaper.

That Gold cover + the fig was just too much to handle for me :p

Stop bringing up the marketing deal like it is supposed to convert millions of gamers overnight after a generation of Xbox marketing. Plus the game sold more on ps4 including bundles and one of the only official ps4 bundle out right now I believe. It is a long term play and working for them

People also forget that COD is an international brand, selling like hot cakes almost everywhere, not only in North America.

Welfare

Reading between the lines with what Queso said, the PS4 could potentially have sold north of 225k units this January (+20% or more relating to the "impressive" comments).
IF XB1+PS4 was flat Yoy (339k), and IF I read correctly Queso's comment, that means XB1 has possibly done 114k units or lower (near 25% down Yoy).

Not sure if my maths (based on an implied level of sales) are correct here.

XB1+PS4+WIU did ~402k last January. XB1 and WIU are below 153k and 48k respectively.

XB1 most definitely had its worst January.

Bolivar687

Banned
Do we have anything other than intuition confirming that including bundles gives the software split win to Sony? Because all I see is MS winning the software split on shooters almost every month.

Does the chart include the software from bundles? Because I'm surprised CoD sold more on XBO.

you are surprised that microsoft has cultivated the call of duty/shooter audience on their console platforms for nearly a decade?

edit; conosole wtf was is that lol

Hard

Banned
crapgamermeltdown.jpeg

I'm sorry guys, one more.

FrbxfHH.gif

Raist

Banned
FYI -- my story is updated with comments from Callahan.

Things I found noteworth:

PS4, Xbox One sales were down because of price cuts. Down 6 percent in dollars despite flat units sales.

Mario & Luigi No. 10 by SKU

The transition from last gen to current gen is basically over. 96 percent of hardware sales were current gen systems compared to 84 percent last year.

Third consecutive January for GTA V in the top 5. It is actually moving up the chart every January.

We’ve asked Microsoft and Nintendo for an update on how their hardware performed as well. We’ll update this story once we get a comment from each of those companies.

Microsoft: 23% more Netflix users YoY and the QB footage has been viewed 15.7 million times across all channels on youtube.

Nintendo: Hey so how about SM3DW2 on your iPhone?

It's so weird that being the best selling console and having exclusive marketing doesn't make Star Wars or COD best selling on the PS4.

Both deals are global arrangement. Worldwide sales are difinitively in the PS4's favor for both titles. Both deals also include official bundles, sales of which have been significant, but not reflected in NPD accounting.

Ridley327

On the infividual charts they do have more and better precense...like usual. The fact a Wii U game manages to break in the top 10 here and there despite that and even Yoshi managed to do it back in October and Xenoblade did over 200k in December. :p

Yoshi even beat Uncharted Collection, though that was minus the bundles.

Anyway, the combined chart never tells the whole story, though it's the only story that publishers seem willing to share. Those pre-combined chart days were truly halcyon.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
you are surprised that microsoft has cultivated the call of duty/shooter audience on their console platforms for nearly a decade?

edit; conosole wtf was is that lol

Ehi, look over there! In the sky!
Is it a bird? Is it an airplane?
No, it's the joke flying over your head!

Jokes aside, for the 100th time: bundles aren't included in software charts

Ryng_tolu

Banned
TOP TEN Worse XB1 monthly sales

1) 77,000 (May 2014)
2) 115,000 ( April 2014)
3) 131,000 (July 2014)
4) 139,000 (May 2015)
5) 141,000 (Jan 2014)
6) 150,000 (Jan 2015)
7) 160,000 (Aug 2014)
8) 168,000 (Oct 2014)
9) 187,000 (Apr 2015)
10) 189,000 (Jul 2015)

This month < 153K

OUCH

JeffGrubb

Microsoft: 23% more Netflix users YoY and the QB footage has been viewed 15.7 million times across all channels on youtube.

Nintendo: Hey so how about SM3DW2 on your iPhone?

Oh, yeah. Real note from Microsoft:

Microsoft said:
“After a record-breaking holiday, 2016 is off to a great start with continued growth in Xbox Live on the strength of the unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One. In January, the total number of hours spent gaming in one month on Xbox One worldwide surpassed 1 billion hours. Looking ahead to this spring, fans can enjoy more great games with the upcoming releases of ‘Quantum Break,’ ‘Rocket League’ and ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division.’ We can’t thank our fans enough for their continued support and passion for Xbox, and we’re looking forward to bringing more of the games and experiences our fans want most in 2016.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft

Kill3r7

1) 77,000 (May 2014)
2) 115,000 ( April 2014)
3) 131,000 (July 2014)
4) 139,000 (May 2015)
5) 141,000 (Jan 2014)
6) 150,000 (Jan 2015)
7) 160,000 (Aug 2014)
8) 168,000 (Oct 2014)
9) 187,000 (Apr 2015)
10) 189,000 (Jul 2015)

This month < 153K

OUCH

Yep. Should have kept the bundle prices under $299.

fernoca

Yoshi even beat Uncharted Collection, though that was minus the bundles.

Anyway, the combined chart never tells the whole story, though it's the only story that publishers seem willing to share. Those pre-combined chart days were truly halcyon.
Yep. Many games has even reached over a million copies without been in a Top 10 NPD.

Those days were the best. Downloading those excel files or control+F'ing online and see each individual game, ranking, total. XD

Now is like...here's the top 10...bye!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The PR was weak this month after having climaxed so hard in December, I look forward to February's as they will have had time to rest and eat a sandwich.

oSoLucky

Mmmh...going with 120,000 to 130,000. Maybe he's exaggerating a bit though. Let's see what happens :p

From what little I've paid attention, he likes to troll and hype up just how terrible the Xbox One is doing whenever possible. Obviously the sales aren't very good though.

1) 77,000 (May 2014)
2) 115,000 ( April 2014)
3) 131,000 (July 2014)
4) 139,000 (May 2015)
5) 141,000 (Jan 2014)
6) 150,000 (Jan 2015)
7) 160,000 (Aug 2014)
8) 168,000 (Oct 2014)
9) 187,000 (Apr 2015)
10) 189,000 (Jul 2015)

This month < 153K