• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any podcasts you just stopped listening to because of a segment or incident?

Usually when I start listening to a podcast and after I have listened to like 3 episodes, I usually hang with it. What are some that you just up and quit, and why? I guess I am just wondering what things you will just wait/listen out and on the other side of the coin, what makes you just throw up your hands and walk away?

EGM Live!
This podcast, I loved beginning with the first episodes, continued to enjoy their discussions with 1UpYours. But when they were between names/moving to 4Guys1Up there was this segment I remember with that Christian Nutt guy and his personality and just general way of discussion things became almost to the point where it was like 2 guys arguing in an EB games annoying and that is when I ended my relationship with 1Up podcasts. And I was so reluctant to make such a rash decision after Legendary, 1UpFM, Brodeo(favorite), Broken Pixels and Retronauts. Like the stuff with Shane and Luke never really got to me, but I just became so disinterested in it. I tried to come back like 2 weeks ago and it is still the same...

Major Nelson
Ok, so this was actually why I made the thread, seeing the Euro price drop of the 360 120GB HDD. So I started listening before the 360 launched and generally enjoyed the show. For working for MS, Larry was not very pushy with the whole agenda thing. Fast forward when they released the 120 GB HDD for something like $160 or $180 US Dollars which was crazy, even at that time, you could get laptop drives for under $100. But then when Larry addressed the issue on his podcast and defended Microsoft as doing nothing wrong or making a significant profit on the sale of the HDD for almost as much as a standalone 360 arcade unit, I just up and quit. That is when agenda went to far and I fully listened through the segment to see what he had to say and then didn't even finish listening to the rest of the show I was so disgusted with his heavily skewed view...

geekbox, when a bunch of people complained that karen needs to stop eating and chewing into the microphone while recording a podcast. then the next episode she basically says deal with it :-(.

kinda mean.

coopolon

Anything with Greg Miller from IGN. Yelling into the mic is disrepectful of your audience. Then people were basically like, "Greg, you know when you yell into the mic you are hurting our audiences ears," he laughed and thought it was cool. It's too bad, because he was one of the few guys on IGN I kind of enjoyed, he's quite a character.

Edit: I guess in some ways I should thank him though, IGN was how I first started paying attention to enthusiast press (~ 2-3 yr ago?), and once I got so fed up listening to him on podcasts, I started looking for other podcasts, like 1up yours, and thus started going to those sites and stopped going to IGN. I want to say I realized how much better the other sites were than IGN at that point, but in reality I just realized enthusiast press aren't very good in general, except for the podcasts. But it led me to much better podcasts, GWF Radio, 1up yours, Idle Thumbs, etc.

Suzzopher

4 Guys 1UP. If Parish isn't on then I don't bother. 1UP is desperately short on personality now.

I also get annoyed by Ellis claiming he works in the games industry. It's like a sports writer claiming he is a professional athlete.

Nintendo Voice after they became a troll cast.
I don't care if they were just fishing for hits, they showed how unprofessional they are.

4guys 1up. I listened to the first 2 episodes but I couldnt stand all the back and forth between the hosts about who was the worst podcaster.

edgefusion

Basically everything to do with Gamespot after Gerstmann-gate. Before then I watched On The Spot every week and listened to The Hotspot podcast regularly too.

I would definitely say that the only event that really screwed over my podcasts I listened to was the mass 1UP firings. At this point the only podcast I listen too religiously is the Bombcast. I still listen to just about every Retronauts too, but stuff like 4 Guys 1 Up seems pretty boring to me now and I basically only listen if there is a guest or topic I am really interested in. Rebel FM is also in kind of a weird place for me too, sometimes I listen and really enjoy it and sometimes those guys completely put me off so that one is a bit of a crap shoot.

jergrah

IGN podcasts altogether because of Greg Miller and Hilary Goldstein.....both are obnoxious and annoying. I was already pretty much done with IGN podcasts and then around a year ago, both of them were on the same podcast (Scoop I believe) and that was the last straw for me, havent listened to one since.

p_p_o_d

Banned
Does "i stopped listening to gamespots podcast when everybody left" count?

also after years of hearing David Ellis on 1up yours and his input into that show I really have no plans to ever listen to 1up's new show.

edit.

yeah Greg and Ign podcasts.... what everyone else said

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
the Borecast

I listened to like 27 or 28 episodes before my pc-jerk-elitism per hour ran over in one of the later ones. I'm all for that but when it kept going for hours then do not want

I have gotten annoyed and stopped listening to Rebel FM before, but I always come back after a while.

I remember one time Anthony was complaining that there were too many different types of games coming out on the 360 (Operation Flashpoint and Tropico 3) that should only stay on the PC. Who wants less games on any system really? I was irritated.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
After the incredibly lengthy and retarded Ipad discussion in the last episode, Player One Podcast.

1up Yours.

Garnet leaving was the final nail in the coffin.

Idle Thumbs.

Because they stopped.

TalkRadar UK

Its just too goddamned British.

Not quite but I have came close to giving up on 4 Guys 1 Up recently. 1UP just doesn't have any personality any more. Plus I can't bear to hear one more segment about fucking facebook games, farmville and whatever else John Davison has decided is 'the future'. I've stopped listening to episodes half way through recently which I never used to do with 1UP podcasts. No offence to Sam Kennedy, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but Christ if he isn't the most bland, agreeable, middle of the road person I've ever heard on a podcast. Then there's the guy who you literally can't understand a word he's saying because he speaks so fast. The fact those two guys are on almost every week is killing it for me.

I realise that's just more of a podcast bitch than anything else so to answer the original question no, I've never stopped listening because of one particular incident.

Alphahawk

I stopped listening to 1up flagship podcasts for many reasons. Mainly because each episode seemed like it was getting longer and longer, and I didn't feel like wasting my Friday nights. Plus after Luke Smith left the group most of the humor just vanished.

EGM Live is another one, I just couldn't get used to the format change.

Pappasman

IGN gamescoop. I like everyone at IGN except for daemon hatfield. He really pisses me off. His wii hate and just his general opinions I can't agree with.

Also any podcast with Jeremy Parish is awesome.

edgefusion said:
Basically everything to do with Gamespot after Gerstmann-gate. Before then I watched On The Spot every week and listened to The Hotspot podcast regularly too.
I totally forgot about that! It was not even really stopping listening because like within weeks of Gerstmann et. al leaving, it was pretty seamless since Alex and others were on the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast(now the bombcast), so I just unsubscribed the week after Jeff left gamespot and then started following the Arrow Pointing Down RSS feed.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Bombcast, mostly after the "session" with Leigh Alexander. She is a great writer and everything, but that podcast appearance was a mess.

C-Jo said:
You stopped listening because of a one-time E3 guest?

Nah, I listened previous entries as well, it's just that it didn't grew on me. The one with Alexander was the last I could tolerate I guess (Which I had in great anticipation considering her opinions on the industry)

C-Jo

I did the right thing and stopped listening to 1up Yours when it became Listen Up.

Other than that, I only listen to the Bombcast, Retronauts/The Grind & Player One. Luckily, those are all eternally awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gamers With Jobs
that Corey asshole

Rebel FM
if I wanted to listen to people my age with about as much knowledge on the game industry talk about games, I'd go out and do that myself. There's no alternative viewpoint, nine times out of ten it's just an echo-chamber of unintentional douchiness. Whenever there is a disagreement, there's just the typical "YOUR OPINION IS WRONG HURR" or "OH DUDE COME ON".

Co-Op

respect what they do but I just got really bored with it. lacked the personalities of the 1up show

I find I listen to less and less nowadays. I miss Idle Thumbs.

I used to listen to several IGN podcasts, but a combination of stupid segments and me finding GAF (and subsequently, that there were better podcasts) led me to drop them all at about the same time.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Bombcast, its more a case that their views on games just stopped meshing with mine, also there are far too many awkward and odd silences in the podcast, it never used to get to me but for some reason now it does.

Garnett please do another podcast :( bring the Shack Attack

Feeroper

IGN Game Scoop, and most IGN podcasts in general (I still like Command Prompt though)

Too many strong opinions, and they only discuss what interests them and skimp over other stuff. Plus the amount they make fun of their own readers and listeners is really retarded! I mean sometimes they get crazy emails from the readers/listeners, but sometimes there are very valid complaints or observations that are ripped into.

I also stopped listening to the Hotspot shortly after the dismissal of Gurstman. One by one the rest fell off on a weekly basis, so I quickly dropped it.

4 Guys 1 Up. They seem to forget that people will be listening to the podcast, just feels like a load of in-talk and in-jokes these days. AND STOP TALKING ABOUT FUCKING VIDEOGAMES JOURNALISM. We don't give a shit. We just want to hear about the games.

(None of the above applies if John is on the show).
Really miss my weekly Garnett, John and Shane fix :(

Giant Bombcast. Feels a little too Americanised for a Brit like myself. Too much ON THE MOON and unhealthy drink and food tasting. Still, compared to the rest of the shit out there now, this remains one of the better gaming podcasts.

Major Nelson. Since Laura L0llip00p (or whoever it is) has joined the show, they just spend ages waffling on about shit. It also really annoys me that everyone insists on calling themselves by their fucking Gamertag, like "e". Also, makes me cringe severely when they discuss the NPDs. Still, the occasional interesting news snippet and interview.

EuroGamer. Ugh, hideous. A bunch of numpties trying desperately to be funny and cool.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
prodystopian said:
I used to listen to several IGN podcasts, but a combination of stupid segments and me finding GAF (and subsequently, that there were better podcasts) led me to drop them all at about the same time.
Pretty much this, IGN was my first taste of gaming podcasts, i was literally unaware that there was any others and i liked how frequently one was put up, given each platform has their own individual podcast + tech/movies/tv etc. But after a while the show became less about the games and more about the casters and...I pretty much dislike all of the casters, there are certain podcasts which lack a personality but IGN is the other extreme, they try to force personality into their podcasts and it comes across abrasive and often annoying. Also for the love of god why must every episode with Greg Miller resort to a shouting match.

MechaX

I dropped anything pertaining to post-Gerstmann-gate GameSpot. Not just their podcasts, but everything (forums, review value, previews, etc).

I was really into 1Up Yours until the buyout. With both Garnet and Shane gone, the entire podcast fell apart (literally).

I also listened to some of IGN's podcasts (namely the Nintendo one), but IGN has gotten excessively stupid as of the past few years.

All but the Bombcast. They have the personality and same views as I do most of the time. I realized that all podcasts cover the same shit that happens every week so I narrowed it down to one.

Corky said:
the Borecast

I listened to like 27 or 28 episodes before my pc-jerk-elitism per hour ran over in one of the later ones. I'm all for that but when it kept going for hours then do not want

Sorry we lost you, dude. Hope you give us another try later on. For the record, I'm not a pc elitist. I'm just a jerk.

Does anyone really listen to Major Nelson anymore? Why do I want to listen to a 2-hour MS ad?

The only enjoyable podcasts for me personally are Bombcast, Joystiq podcast, Player one Podcast, and CAGcast, all others because I sit at a desk all day in cube-ville and would rather hear Mobcast, 4Guys1Up, RebelFM, Geekbox, etc than my neighbor talking about her 12 year old son who split the atom, created cold fusion, and beat Jesus at arm-wrestling on the same day

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Eel O'Brian said:
Sorry we lost you, dude. Hope you give us another try later on. For the record, I'm not a pc elitist. I'm just a jerk.

;D I cant quit on you guys, listening to the tech ( no 31? ) episode <3

but yeah, cant really remember said episode but the consolebashing was a little more than usual and got boring :) but there is a reason I listened all the other episodes.

All games interactive with Scot Rubin. There was an episode where he revealed that he was a 9/11 truther and believed that the moon landing was a hoax and argued it on the show. He got a little irritated when I referred to the show as "All Tinfoil Interactive" in the chat for some giggles.

Corky said:
the Borecast

hmmm, i consider myself a PC-elitest.....I will have to check that one out

Rez said:
Gamers With Jobs
that Corey asshole

:(

I have a pretty high tolerance for specific behavior in podcasts. Most of the ones that I end up deleting are gotten rid of when I find out I'm listening to too many and they don't really hit the quality threshold. There was one PC focused podcast, Game Central, that on an episode went a bit much into PC elitism, but that's about it.

Struct09

Stopped listening to Geekbox for a couple reasons.

-Eating while recording, resulting in the mic picking up on the chewing noises. This really bothers me and it happened frequently.
-Ryan Scott's humor started to wear on me. I'm pretty sure my breaking point came from one of his many repetitions of "You are perfectly entitled to your wrong opinion"

DodgerSan

I can't listen to Out Of The Game, purely due to N'Gai. For an intelligent and (supposedly) eloquent guy, he struggles to get a sentence out. The continual "Uh, y'know, um, er, y'know" becomes unbearable.

Real shame, as I like his opinions but his delivery is torturous.

DodgerSan said:
I can't listen to Out Of The Game, purely due to N'Gai. For an intelligent and (supposedly) eloquent guy, he struggles to get a sentence out. The continual "Uh, y'know, um, er, y'know" becomes unbearable.

Real shame, as I like his opinions but his delivery is torturous.
I find N'Gai to be a bit all talk and no walk to be honest.

Levi

Banned
I stopped listening to Player One for a year or so after CJ spent more time trashing Metroid Prime 3 than playing it. Of course the controls aren't going to click after 15 minutes, especially if you don't bother customizing them!

Quit Out of the Game when Jeff Green called Star Wars "objectively bad" and N'gai admitted people applauded at the end of Episode One but he somehow psychicly knew "they didn't mean it". This from a Matrix sequels apologist!

Still makes me mad. No way are the prequels worse than the two Matrix sequels.

Top Bottom