• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sonic Heroes doesn't deserve to be up there.

It's actually worse than Shadow.

Maybe. A few years back, I would always get into the pattern of thinking "Why was Sonic Heroes so bad?", go back to play for a little bit and think worse of it. I don't have the game anymore to actually do that though.

And Shadow is bad not for just gameplay mechanics but everything it represents as a bastardization of a franchise.

Maybe I should have been more harsh though. I don't consider anything below Sonic Rush there as an overall good experience.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
The version on Gems Collection is the worst port of the game. I guess they ported it from the PC version, but they didn't do a very good job. Certain effects aren't properly emulated (transparent water) and they completely destroyed the intro and credits sequences. And since the PC version is from like, 1994, all the game's sound effects are 22khz WAV files and it sounds awful. Whoever ported the game didn't bother replacing them with high quality versions, either.

It is remarkably sloppy. Playable, but sloppy.

None of those things bothered me at all. Never thought of them actually. It was the game itself that caused frustration.

Anth0ny said:

You guys must have low standards....

Listing to the Sonic CD OST right now, cant get over how good the music was... Reminds me of house music of the time... :lol

Sonic 3 was pretty good too, but Sonic CD DAMN!

I hope they bring this back in Sonic 4, over that Crush40 or whatever that band is called... I kind of like Live and Learn though... :lol

Anyone hope they have tricks for speed boost like in Sonic Rush?

Why are the Sonic Rush games ignored? Granted Sonic Rush Advnture had those horrible minigames which set it back, but still... I loved the game cause it was fast.

Also out of all of Sonics ... friends... I welcome Blaze, by far one of the best characters. She doesn't have alot to say, and she kicks ass. :D

Speaking of mind blowing shortcuts this one in Marble Garden Act 1 (that one at 0:15-0:20) is interesting. Do you think SEGA intended Sonic to be able to use it? (though the moving platforms placement seems too convenient*) I can see Tails being able to fly up there...

Its a shame that most of the shortcuts used in Sonic 3 & Knuckles Time Attacks tend to be glitch-based (screen warping etc).

*-You can use it to give yourself extra distance to build up more speed and thus gain enough height.

Rich!

As much as I love the original three sonic games, I've always hated the second act of each.

That shortcut is literally the best thing ever.

Boogiepop

You know, there's one thing I've always kinda wondered if it fell into the "Sonic's crappy friends go die in a fire" thing... Would you guys mind if Fang the Sniper/Nack the Weasel came back? I actually kinda liked him. He PROBABLY shouldn't be in a game like Sonic 4 but he is one character I actually wouldn't mind if he returned to the series...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sonic Heroes doesn't deserve to be up there.

It's actually worse than Shadow.

No it isn't, not even in the slightest. Assuming you actually want to finish a level in Shadow the Hedgehog with a certain moral alignment, pretty much every level in the game will take you over an hour because it's always something stupid like "destroy 10 of this" or "kill 30 of that" and there's always an EXACT NUMBER of that thing in a level. If you miss one, you have to backtrack and try to find it.

Sonic Heroes, on the other hand, benefits from most of the levels being fairly straight forward affairs that, at most, take 15 minutes to complete. That's still way too long for a typical Sonic level, but it is considerably shorter than a level in Shadow the Hedgehog. It also lacks Shadow's "DAMN CHAOS EMERALD" smoldering faux-maturity.

I contend that Sonic Heroes would actually be pretty okay if they ditched the team mechanic and made the levels shorter. If you play as Team Rose, actually, they use shorter, easier versions of all the levels in the game and if it was not for the fact that Team Rose is populated by some of the most annoying characters, that would probably be my ideal Sonic Heroes experience. Most Team Rose levels are under 5 minutes in length, and you end up avoiding a lot of the cut-and-paste level design that plagues Sonic Heroes.

Sonic Heroes has terrible bugtesting, too.

The levels are built around having the homing attack be 100% accurate as Team Sonic and the radius for homing seems incredibly inconsistent.

WillyFive

Black_Ice said:
Hey, fuck you.

Seriously, if that impressed you, Sega might as well make Sonic 4 a compilation of Sonic 1-3k.

But either way, I can live with that no problem, although I expected much more. Maybe some more things happening in the background of the title, like Tails's plane, the sun rising, or tiny parts of levels sticking out from the forest trees....

Also, a better Sonic design. That looks like an alien.

ryan13ts

Mank said:
You know, there's one thing I've always kinda wondered if it fell into the "Sonic's crappy friends go die in a fire" thing... Would you guys mind if Fang the Sniper/Nack the Weasel came back? I actually kinda liked him. He PROBABLY shouldn't be in a game like Sonic 4 but he is one character I actually wouldn't mind if he returned to the series...

I always thought he had an interesting design. I guess I wouldn't mind if he came back in the role of an antagonist/rival similar to Knuckles in Sonic 3, but that'd be about it.

Lijik

Willy105 said:
That looks like an alien.
1126573-icon.jpg

Willy105 said:
I never understood that. What does it mean when your avatar gets quoted?

It can mean a variety of things. Imagine your post being said by your avatar, or maybe your post relates to your avatar in some contradictory or hypocritical way.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
It can mean a variety of things. Imagine your post being said by your avatar, or maybe your post relates to your avatar in some contradictory or hypocritical way.

Interesting. Thank you.

Rich!

Just been playing on sonic 3 using the knuckles lockon for the first time.

Surprisingly, it really does change the gameplay a whole lot - and I'm getting to areas I never even knew about before. :lol

I should have had a megadrive during my childhood aswell as a SNES - I was missing out on so much.

Sanjuro

Sonic 3 still marks the decline of the series IMO. I don't hate the game but I enjoyed the previous releases to it and not so much any of the ones after.

loosus

Banned
Yeah, I have to agree that Sonic 3 was indeed the beginning of the end. I enjoyed the game, but the series peaked at Sonic 2 for me.

Ya know...I sure do cherish Sonic games for there being so few that I actually like. :lol

By the way, I hate to admit it, but these 8-bit Lady Gaga tunes actually sound like something that would fit in a 1990s Sonic game. I mean, I'm not a LG fan by any means, but the beats sound neat in a self-depreciating sort of way.

The 3D games offer a different thrill than the platformers. Your basic objective is to know every way to boost your score to the highest level, just like the originals. However, instead of seeing yourself through the level, it's more based on timing and precision of x task with Y solution. And the solutions are typically pretty flashy. This is so when you finish the level in quick succession, with the highest ranking grade, you feel like a badass. It's something along the lines of what a Tony Hawk game or an easy mode action game would feel like.

But I think what people forget (if they fondly remember the adventure games) is that the majority of the game played through is still crap since you're not playing these speed levels. You fondly remember the good and forget all about the bad.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sonic 3 still marks the decline of the series IMO. I don't hate the game but I enjoyed the previous releases to it and not so much any of the ones after.

Sonic & Knuckles saved Sonic 3. Without it, it would remain a largely hollow and uninteresting experience. S&K had a lot of character, even today.

Alphahawk said:
All you hating on Sonic 3 make me sad :( It's easily the pinnacle of the series even without Sonic and Knuckles...
I prefer S&K but Sonic 3 standalone has one thing over even S3&K - the final fight against Robotnik in Launch Base.

Pills Here said:
Sonic & Knuckles saved Sonic 3. Without it, it would remain a largely hollow and uninteresting experience. S&K had a lot of character, even today.
This is the dumbest comparison ever. They're two halves of a whole. Neither saved another; you need both. This is like saying "Man, Kill Bill sure would suck without Part Two." Of course it fucking would.

I AM JOHN! said:
This is the dumbest comparison ever. They're two halves of a whole. Neither saved another; you need both. This is like saying "Man, Kill Bill sure would suck without Part Two." Of course it fucking would.

Well then the first half of the game was not as good as the second.

>_>

joey_z

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

A game can be judged for what it is without having to play the second part. Half Life Episode 2 can (should) be judged for what it is and not what Episode 3 adds to the story. Likewise Kill Bill didn't suck when it came out and was fairly judged without having to wait for the sequel.

Ten-Song

I AM JOHN! said:

I actually think Kill Bill sucks because of part 2. I liked 1 way better. I am told that I am in the minority on this though. :\

Oddly enough, that same view applies to Sonic 3 as well. Loved three, didn't really care one way or another about Sonic & Knuckles.

Zilch

Banned
Was Sonic 3 made with the "sequel" of S&K in mind? It probably was, but I never considered the possibility when I was 10.

fake edit: checking wikipedia, I hadn't remembered that both Sonic 3 and S&K were released in the same year. I suppose that answers that question.

Sciz

Zilch said:
Was Sonic 3 made with the "sequel" of S&K in mind? It probably was, but I never considered the possibility when I was 10.

fake edit: checking wikipedia, I hadn't remembered that both Sonic 3 and S&K were released in the same year. I suppose that answers that question.
A good chunk of the work was already done by the time Sonic 3 came out. It's more accurate to say that they were planning to just finish up and release the complete Sonic 3 as a special edition before someone came up with lock-on.

Ten-Song

remz said:
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/Clasicsonic/still3.png

Don't really have much problem with the art style, and I like the shading on Sonic... but damn the super shiny ground annoys me. What the hell is with that?

Top Bottom