• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Spwn

I for one would love to see the more classic approach on the character. It's got a lot more charisma than the long-leg Sonic and it's just more closer to the Sonic I grew up with while playing Sonic 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive.

The only Sonic game I've played since 2 is Rush (yeah I skipped 3 and S&K because our household had some economical problems back in the 90's) and I enjoyed it although I hated the countless bottomless pits, Sonic's irritating voice acting and the horrible frame-rate drop in the final boss. Because of the last issue I was never able to finish the game.

edit: Those longing for Sonic merchandise, Play-Asia has those Sonic vinyl-figures mentioned in one of the links by Gagaman and I believe their shipping to the States is also affordable.

KAL2006

Banned
Spwn said:
I for one would love to see the more classic approach on the character. It's got a lot more charisma than the long-leg Sonic and it's just more closer to the Sonic I grew up with while playing Sonic 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive.

The only Sonic game I've played since 2 is Rush (yeah I skipped 3 and S&K because our household had some economical problems back in the 90's) and I enjoyed it although I hated the countless bottomless pits, Sonic's irritating voice acting and the horrible frame-rate drop in the final boss. Because of the last issue I was never able to finish the game.

Have you still not played Sonic 3 and Knuckles
if not why are you waiting for Sonic 4 when you got 2 great games you haven't even played. Sonic 3 + Knuckes has been ported to a lot of consoles.

Actually to anyone who are desperetly awaiting Sonic 4 and haven't played all of the following - Sonic 1-3 and Kuckles and CD. WTF

Spwn

KAL2006 said:
Have you still not played Sonic 3 and Knuckles
if not why are you waiting for Sonic 4 when you got 2 great games you haven't even played. Sonic 3 + Knuckes has been ported to a lot of consoles.

Actually to anyone who are desperetly awaiting Sonic 4 and haven't played all of the following - Sonic 1-3 and Kuckles and CD. WTF

Well, I'm not desperately waiting for Sonic 4. Could live without it, no problem. I've tried Sonic 3 a couple of times, but haven't had enough interest to get it later. There are so many other great games to play and so little money waste.

edit: And I don't even have a console to play Sonic 4 yet. Like I said: so little money to waste. I've almost totally missed this gen.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I actually don't care that much for 3. I felt the graphics were too muddled with the rendering and I didn't really care for most of the earlier levels so it's not like 2 where I feel like I'm having a ball straight away. I'm not that much of a Sonic fan, more in the Sonic 2 camp really. Sonic 2 MS and Sonic 2 MD are great, everything else is sorta secondary.

Also, why is the sound design in CD so shit? :|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KAL2006 said:

Working my way through Sonic 1 and 2 on VC right now jeez. >_>

FLEABttn

Banned
Snowman said:
I really need to find a way to play CD :(

SonicMegaDrive said:
Either buy a Sega CD or play it on an emulator.

If buying a Sega CD is how you decide to play Sonic CD, be aware that the hardware hasn't exactly aged very gracefully and you might be in for a hard time trying to find acceptable hardware.

I recently picked up a Sega CD myself and it wasn't until my third did I find one that (while advertised as fully functional) was in a state good enough to repair.

If you're serious about a Sega CD, and money isn't an issue, get a CDX or X'Eye. If money is an issue, a Sega CD revision 2 (the one that sits on the side). Avoid the first version unless you're good with repairing electronics.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Why it hasn't at least been attempted yet is beyond me.

I have been saying this since the start of these download able services. Also, why wont Capcom make new CPS2-3 games? the engine is there.

Don't try to divert thread traffic, are you a traffic warden, no? Tekno already made a classic Sonic game thread weeks back, it didnt attract any of the attention this or the original Needlemouse thread did: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384769

That there are people still yet to witness the glory of Sonic 3 & Knuckles is upsetting. Not entirely sure how you manage to dodge a game for 16 years, but well done I guess!

I've been wanting to get my hands on Sonic CD again for a while.

I've got a old copy of the PC version lying around, what's the consensus on it?

Sciz

RagnarokX said:
Anybody else wonder about this ramp as a kid?

i73has.jpg
You know those pillars you spiral down, like this one?

9v8vvq.png

You can jump off of them.

Eric C

Still after all this time it seems the Sega CD version of Sonic CD is still the best one to play. Play it on actual hardware, or play it through your PC using emulation.

FLEABttn said:
If you're serious about a Sega CD, and money isn't an issue, get a CDX or X'Eye. If money is an issue, a Sega CD revision 2 (the one that sits on the side). Avoid the first version unless you're good with repairing electronics.

If you want to use actual hardware. I too would also recommend either the CDX or X'eye. Just using only 1 outlet plug instead of 2 is a huge benefit to those systems.

With the X'Eye you can't play any 2 Disc 32X-CD games though. The 32X sits over the CD tray and you can't open it up.

ofreop.jpg

With the CDX on the other-hand you can open up the CD tray.
29576fp.jpg

All of the 2 Disc 32X-CD games are those FMV games so it might not make any difference to you, unless you want to play Night Trap or something.

Also: If you're intent on buying a Sega CD, NEVER EVER under ANY circumstances use any AC Adapter OTHER than an official Sega CD AC Adapter.

So many other AC Adapters look like they might work for it.(like the regular NES' for instance) Trust me, they DON'T.

THIS is the number one reason why they stop working. Because using any other voltage AC adapter will FRY that sonovabitch.

Edit: This is also how a lot of Master Systems die as well.

Roto13

Wrath2X said:
It's like they're trying to prove a point or something :lol
If that point is the the older fanbase isn't that much less shallow and stupid than the Sonic X furries, I think their point is well made.

FLEABttn

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
THIS is the number one reason why they stop working. Because using any other voltage AC adapter will FRY that sonovabitch.

Fry is a bit strong of a word. It will kill the fuse. Pretty easily repaired, but it will keep breaking if you keep trying the wrong adapter.

FLEABttn said:
Fry is a bit strong of a word. It will kill the fuse. Pretty easily repaired, but it will keep breaking if you keep trying the wrong adapter.

Yeah. A lot of people who end up with Sega CDs don't know anything about soldering and replacing blown fuses and wind up paying too much money to get the machine fixed only to wind up blowing it again because they don't know what they're doing wrong.

wRATH2x

Banned
Roto13 said:
If that point is the the older fanbase isn't that much less shallow and stupid than the Sonic X furries, I think their point is well made.
By making shitty game after shitty game.

What a company :lol

FLEABttn

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah. A lot of people who end up with Sega CDs don't know anything about soldering and replacing blown fuses and wind up paying too much money to get the machine fixed only to wind up blowing it again because they don't know what they're doing wrong.

No kidding. And because of it (and the finicky nature of the hardware itself), it makes buying them secondhand much more of a hassle than it needs to be, because the person selling it quite possibly has no idea what they're doing either.

The third one I bought had "only" a blown fuse unlike my first two, and while I have no idea ow to solder, I found someone on another forum who replaced the fuse (and a number of capacitors) for $10.

FLEABttn said:
No kidding. And because of it (and the finicky nature of the hardware itself), it makes buying them secondhand much more of a hassle than it needs to be, because the person selling it quite possibly has no idea what they're doing either.

The third one I bought had "only" a blown fuse unlike my first two, and while I have no idea ow to solder, I found someone on another forum who replaced the fuse (and a number of capacitors) for $10.

The first time I ever had a broken Sega CD was when my original model broke in 1994.

I sent it to Sega to get it repaired.
For 120 dollars!
If I had waited another year, I would have been able to buy one BRAND NEW for a third of that price.

Fortunately, I wised up and bought myself a CD-X many years ago, and it still functions perfectly.

The Hermit

Aaron Strife said:
This is pretty amazing too. Labyrinth Act 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhyYobKcy5Y

I got over there once by bouncing off an enemy, and never again.

Whoa!! :OO
I think I did that using the secret platform... I think I got it once and and every time I was playing this stage I was telling my friends "there's an easier path I know it but I don't rember where" and they didn´t beleived me :((

SonicMegaDrive said:
The first time I ever had a broken Sega CD was when my original model broke in 1994.

I sent it to Sega to get it repaired.
For 120 dollars!
If I had waited another year, I would have been able to buy one BRAND NEW for a third of that price.

Fortunately, I wised up and bought myself a CD-X many years ago, and it still functions perfectly.
My sega cd came with a genesis I bought on eBay for cheap a year or so back. The guy said it was broken.

Some tinkering revealed that the disc mechanism was jammed or something, and I manually set it back to normal (whatever it was). This came at the price of the front lid getting popped off:

5340_1232873740717_1195378093_708670_1198928_n.jpg

But it's all good, it works fine now.

GAF should be making this game.

Well, Sonic Retro + GAF.

Seriously though, it's going to be a real shame if the final product can't measure up to these edits and mockups. Mostly it'll make the devs look completely incompetent and/or still at the knees of the modern Sonic crowd despite claiming to be going back to the classic route.

Aaron Strife said:

Yeah that one I never knew how to get to without debug until I found out via a sonic hacking website a long time ago, I do remember trying to bounce off the fish to get there as a kid but never managed it.

Also in the labrynth water area just before the boss you can skip the entire stage rather easily if you fall in front of the sliding platform at the beginning, probably known by many but I seen some people who use to complain the stage was too long when in fact you can beat it in like 45 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1TfxMX6dk

Diablohead said:
Yeah that one I never knew how to get to without debug until I found out via a sonic hacking website a long time ago, I do remember trying to bounce off the fish to get there as a kid but never managed it.

Also in the labrynth water area just before the boss you can skip the entire stage rather easily if you fall in front of the sliding platform at the beginning, probably known by many but I seen some people who use to complain the stage was too long when in fact you can beat it in like 45 seconds.

That logo you have in your avatar is fantastic.

Diablohead said:

I always thought that was the only way to beat it. Never tried going any other path.

Diablohead said:

These games are always surprising me even now.

Such great design.

Eric C

Aaron Strife said:

I knew about the path but didn't know about the platform. I got to it only once but don't remember how I did it.

Diablohead said:

Thats the way I always beat that zone.

Top Bottom