• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Ten-Song

Andrex said:
Wtf why was Huelen banned? Damn you guys are cold blooded.

I really hope it isn't because of this thread, of all things. Huelen, despite being a crazy person, is an integral part of this thread.

Dammit, we need post history back!

Ten-Song

Sega1991 said:
Incidentally, speaking of being a little too enthusiastic, yesterday in this thread the subject of Sonic CD and the differences between the Sega CD version and the version in Sonic Gems Collection came up.

I decided to make a comparison video.

It really is annoying how there's no "definitive" version of Sonic CD at this point. Hidden Gems has the nice slick intro, but I still have no fucking clue why the Sega CD version still looks and sounds the best.

Really does make me wish there was some new pristine and perfect version of the game for PSN/XBLA. But I suppose as long as Sega is letting Backbone handle ports, that'll never happen.

Zen

Banned
What abouit the guy who was working on the IPHONE port? it would be fantastic if Sega, as a part of whatever they have him working on, are looking at making a PSN/XBL/WiiWare version.

Huelen banned? What the heck? How could he be charged with anything remotely ban worthy? Sure he was enthusiastic about Sonic, but he was a very nice and (actually) fairly level headed guy.

Hopefully it's temp.

Sweet! I've been waiting for an excuse to post this AIM conversation I had a couple hours ago! Thanks, anti-green eyes GAF!
<Friend> the "classic Sonic" title screen is getting annoying now >:<
<Me> it's always been annoying
<Friend> someone made a fucking video
<Me> all the bitching about the redesign has always been annoying
<Me> just
<Me> fucking
<Me> stop
<Me> you're asking for too much
<Friend> they're not gonna change it
<Me> and it's the dumbest shit ever
<Me> CLASSIC SONIC DESIGN HAS SO MUCH MORE CHARACTER THAN NEW SONIC DESIGN
<Me> no
<Me> that's bullshit
<Me> there is a ton of character to new sonic
<Me> they just never show it off because they usually show him in shitty low-budget CG
<Me> look at the fucking smash bros model
<Me> he looked fucking ACE
<Me> hell, sonic x did a bunch of good shit with sonic
<Me> it's not exclusive to the old art; it's that sega has stripped any of the charm or playfullness out of the character with their stupid bullshit final fantasy stories
<Me> which should be obvious
<Me> but no
<Me> it's not to you because you're a bunch of STUPID DUMB FUCKS
<Friend> i don't like the direction this convo just turned
<Friend> it want from good times and sex to sonic and RAGE :<
Yes I know I'm breaking Cool Frog's cardinal rule of "quit gettin' mad at video games," but dammit, it's what I do best. :(

Ten-Song said:
It really is annoying how there's no "definitive" version of Sonic CD at this point. Hidden Gems has the nice slick intro, but I still have no fucking clue why the Sega CD version still looks and sounds the best.

Really does make me wish there was some new pristine and perfect version of the game for PSN/XBLA. But I suppose as long as Sega is letting Backbone handle ports, that'll never happen.

PC version is the best. Perfect port, best music quality, and pretty scenes. Of course, you need a PC running Windows 95/98 to run it though...

I think calling it Episode 1 is a bit moronic. Inspires nothing but negative connotations. Megaman is getting along just fine doing the same thing without the subtitle.

Sciz

Bans for being over the top to the point of effectively being a joke character have happened before (R.I.P. Crushed), but it's uncommon.

edit: Assuming it's for this thread at all (which means one of the mods actually does keep an eye on SonicGAF) and not something unrelated.

Eric C

Huelen banned :( Sonic threads won't be the same.

I wonder if it was for this thread or not. We need post history back.

riceandbeans said:
PC version is the best. Perfect port, best music quality, and pretty scenes. Of course, you need a PC running Windows 95/98 to run it though...

PC doesn't color the water like the Sega CD version does. I think sound might be be better on the Sega CD, but I'm not too familiar with the PC version so I'm not sure.

wRATH2x

Banned
HUELEN is a nice guy.

Sure he can be crazy and we all have a good laugh at his expense, but I don't think that he should have been banned. He didn't do anything to warrant it.

HULEN and I may have our differences, but I hope he comes back soon. There needs to be a irrational counterbalance to my complete and utter (also arguably irrational) pessimism. :(

I AM JOHN! said:
Yes I know I'm breaking Cool Frog's cardinal rule of "quit gettin' mad at video games," but dammit, it's what I do best. :(

This is also my argument regarding "Eggman vs. Robotnik".

Though I will say that I don't want Classic Sonic as an unlockable skin in Sonic 4 just because that Sonic is "more charming", but just because it looks aesthetically better, especially in 2D. Sonic's big blue banana spikes look a bit silly in Sonic 4.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lol at that Photoshop. Theyre like "IF THE GAME LOOKED 2 PERCENT BETTER ACCORDING TO US IT WOULD BE PERFECT SO FUCK YOU SEGA" The also desaturated the grass, which looks worse now.

As for the shiny people dont seem to like, I dont mind it. The old sprite games hinted at a fair degree of rendering and volume.

Ericsc said:
PC doesn't color the water like the Sega CD version does. I think sound might be be better on the Sega CD, but I'm not too familiar with the PC version so I'm not sure.

The PC version, near as I could tell, is almost identical to the Sega CD version in almost every way. The only difference is that the opening and ending FMVs were replaced with higher quality versions.

Unfortunately, getting the PC version of Sonic CD to run on current hardware requires a special third-party patch.

Eric C

Sega1991 said:
The PC version, near as I could tell, is almost identical to the Sega CD version in almost every way. The only difference is that the opening and ending FMVs were replaced with higher quality versions.

Unfortunately, getting the PC version of Sonic CD to run on current hardware requires a special third-party patch.

Oh so it does color the water correctly? I guess I was wrong.

Ten-Song

Sega1991 said:

Though I will say that I don't want Classic Sonic as an unlockable skin in Sonic 4 just because that Sonic is "more charming", but just because it looks aesthetically better, especially in 2D. Sonic's big blue banana spikes look a bit silly in Sonic 4.

I never cared about the name change so much as the change from Eggman being the villain, to him just being a doofy oaf that appears in the games for no other reason than providing robots to jump on. He's never the villain anymore, so if they need a fat oaf for comic relief, why not just stick to Big the Cat again so any time with a villain can be spent on... say, an actual villain?

May be a weird complaint... but eh.

Also, Sonic's giant banana spikes have ALWAYS looked silly, it's just that most of the time in the 3D game's you're looking at the back of his head, so it's hard to notice. Thankfully Sega's toned it down a bit since Sonic 2K6, where he just looked absurd in all aspects of his character design.

I AM JOHN! said:

Also agree with what's said there. The biggest problem Sega has with aesthetics in regards to Sonic isn't about his looks, so much as they've made his character annoying and stupid. Then again, they've made EVERY character annoying and stupid.

Mario doesn't look the same as he did many years ago, but he still seems the same, because Nintendo never tried to change how he behaved or acted.

Ericsc said:
Oh so it does color the water correctly? I guess I was wrong.

I really don't know. From what I remember, the PC version was perfect but I read off Wikipedia that the PC version was slightly worse than the Sega CD version but it doesn't say why. Either way, it's a still a good port. I'm not gonna let off color water bother me. I'd play the game again, but I suck it at now for some reason. Forgot how to make the good Future and keep getting my ass kicked at the boss levels.

remz

riceandbeans said:
I really don't know. From what I remember, the PC version was perfect but I read off Wikipedia that the PC version was slightly worse than the Sega CD version but it doesn't say why. Either way, it's a still a good port. I'm not gonna let off color water bother me. I'd play the game again, but I suck it at now for some reason. Forgot how to make the good Future and keep getting my ass kicked at the boss levels.
Travel back in time, smash up the robot makers/ projectors of metal sonic, etc.

Sega1991 said:
At least with the Eggman thing, they have an easy way to please both factions: his name is Robotnik and he identifies himself as that, and Sonic and co. call him Eggman to mock him, just like in the Sonic Adventures. They just refuse to do it because Japan is calling the shots and has no reverence for the name. It's not like the vitriol over the Sonic redesign where the only way Sega can "win" is to waste resources and make two character models, and even then it probably won't be enough because the Sonic design that has existed for longer and is more prevalent in the series will be the primary one so said psychos cannot pretend it doesn't exist. :|

Stealth edit: man, I really wanna play Sonic CD right now.

Iknos

RagnarokX said:
Wow... this really does make a pretty big difference...

xek0zq.gif

This is amazing.

Ten-Song

I'd love to play Sonic CD again it's just that...

Wait, what's that?

1zb9a10.jpg

It looks like it's coming closer...

34j4wo7.jpg

Is that what I think it is? Oh no... it can't be!

d4cbl.jpg

NO! OH GOD! RUN! SAVE YOURSELVES!

ojoxs2.jpg

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm not one for bitching about minute details like his running animation or sprite, but wow.

Short-spikes are MUCH better. It actually feels like Sonic 4 looking at that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
riceandbeans said:

Nah. You can run it in XP via a fan-made patch. Haven't tried it in Vista and 7.

Yeah, I'd love to see Sonic CD on Live/PSN/Wiiware but I'm worried it will get the Backbone treatment it really doesn't deserve.

I'd still buy the Backbone version if it were released. I'm stupid like that.

wRATH2x

Banned
So I went to this sega forum and holy shit!

Sonic is an insensitive jerk.
I just played through some Sonic games and I must say, I think sonic's sorta a jerk now.

Sonic Adventure 2: Shadow the hedgehog proves himself as a hero, and sacrifices himself to save humanity, Sonic is a bit sad when he comes back to the Ark without him.

Sonic Heroes: When Team Sonic and Team Dark meet, all sonic says is "Talk about being stubborn and full of suprises." Not at all suprised that Shadow is some how alive or at all remembering that he was a friend.

I mean what the hecks up with that.

Sonic and the Kojiki
you know how SEGA mades games like sonic and the secret rings and sonic and the black night?

well this may be similar to what SEGA might think of but....

what if sonic went to medieval Japan (or something like it)?

PLOT:
(if I try to think of a plot you wouldn't like it)

features:

you know how sonic adventure had adventure fields?(e.i. station square.etc.) well some places like that would include some villages and the layer of the antagonist

as for stages one would include an island others would include a dojo, a cave, and possibly an alternate dimension

characters:

NOTE: I couldn't think of any names for I don't know Japanese

Sonic (of course)

a guardian of a temple

and of course, local villagers

and some other chars.

ENEMIES:

minions

evil spirits

ITEMS:

the ones used in previous Sonic games

rings (of course)

SPECIAL NOTE:

none of the chars. in the place where sonic goes replicate any previous sonic chars. (like they did in secret rings) they are humans

credit goes to JSNNitro for the title

Title: Sonic The Hedgehog: Size Doesn't Matter
Summary: During another attempt to thwart Eggman once more, Dr. Eggman manages to shrink Sonic to the size of a bug and releases some ant sized robots just in case. Sonic must find all Chaos Emeralds in order to grow to normal size. Tails decides to shrink the X-Tornado to help finding the Chaos Emeralds easier

Title: Sonic Rush Destruction
Summary: Due to a koala using the Sol Emeralds for selfish gain, the emeralds triggered a negative reaction that set off a chain of events that eventually led to the destruction of both Sonic's and Blaze's worlds. Keeping in touch through the Chaos Emeralds, Sonic, Tails, and Amy are rescuing their world while Blaze, Marine, and Silver (who recently was teleported for unknown reasons) are rescuing their world.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

wRATH2x

Banned
Sonic: Broken

The story begins with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at Angel Island's alter, trying to stop Eggman from taking the Master Emerald. After destroying Eggman's machine, the three rest a second and talk about further plans. An odd surge of energy comes from the robot, which causes the Master Emerald to vibrate. Sonic, who is leaning on the Emerald, gains a worried look on his face before he disappears into thin air. The Master Emerald then shatters, and the shards go flying everywhere. Tails freaks out while Knuckles tries to think about what happened, using his sense to find the locations of the Master Emerald shards. Eggman uses their disarray to escape off the island.

The odd pulse from the robot triggered a strange reaction inside of the Master Emerald, Knuckles concluded, which Sealed Sonic inside of it. As the Emerald then broke, the only way to get Sonic back would be to find the shards of the master emerald. Shadow felt a strange energy too, so he found Tails and Knuckles while they were making plans to retrieve the pieces. Amy's tarots also lead them to Tails' Lab, where Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow were, so she joins in. The emerald split into 36 pieces, so each of them were to work together and retrieve nine shards. They split and were sent all over the world to several different zones. Eggman, quick to react, has started searching for the seven chaos emeralds.
Sonic Chronicles 2
What if as a sequel to Sonic chronicles, Bioware and Sega make a 360/Ps3 Sonic RPG? With Sonic next gens graphics and similar (But glitcheless) Gameplay! And they could throw in some Sonic Heroes team elements too. Except there would be up to 12 characters in the team. To prevent this from being cumbersome you would be able to split up you're team to explore an open world enviorment. You would have real-time combat with unique moves to each character (e.g. Homing attacks and spin dash for Sonic, Gadgets for Tails, Chaos attacks for Shadow etc.)

And between the towns and villages there would be areas similar to action stages from Sonic adventures 1 and 2, except there would be people throughout the action stages to talk to and get missions and to advance the story with.

Then Bioware could work they're magic at making the RPG elements great too. Such as adding equipment and character classes to choose from. And Omega or some other robot character would fight Mass effect style. And Knuckles and Rouge and possibly Shadow would fight Zelda or Jade Empire style by locking onto enemies and Defending yourself. Meanwhile Sonic would play more like Sonic adventure by rushing through the vast world and attacking with classic moves like the homing attack and spindash. Though Sonic would then also have the ability to punch and kick.

Then lastly it would have to have an epic story. Which I'm sure the writers at bioware could do easily.
Title: Silver The Hedgehog: The Iblis Chronicles
Platform: DS
Story: Tells the story of how Silver discovers Iblis and his efforts to find a source to defeat it. Includes more detailed story of Silvers events from Sonic 06.
Gameplay style: RPG
Playable characters: Silver, Blaze Shadow (Silver discovers him in suspended animation in the future and awakens him) and for one part when Silver is in the past Sonic, Also new character from Silvers world the red dragon Inferno.
Holy lord :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Sonic Adventure 2: Shadow the hedgehog proves himself as a hero, and sacrifices himself to save humanity, Sonic is a bit sad when he comes back to the Ark without him.

Sonic Heroes: When Team Sonic and Team Dark meet, all sonic says is "Talk about being stubborn and full of suprises." Not at all suprised that Shadow is some how alive or at all remembering that he was a friend.

I mean what the hecks up with that.

Actually I kind of agree with that. That's kind of a jerkish thing to say to your friend "Talk about being stubborn and full of surprises" when he sacrificed his life to save the Earth.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Make his legs spinning and we have a perfect sonic animation :(

But what's in that retro pic looks 10x better than what we have now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Firestorm said:
read first post
highlighted header

What's wrong with a few excerpts from other forums/blogs? They're funny as hell, I know it's not directly related to Sonic 4, but this thread is talked in a lot and it's not about new news and some of it isn't about Sonic 4.

RobbieNick

I call bullshit on Huelens ban. He never trolled or spoke negative of others here. Outside of being a little crazy in his ways, he's a nice guy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10
Banned
(Today, 01:41 AM)
Reply | Quote

deserved.

Top Bottom