• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

See ya, Huelen. I thought you were entertaining and a nice fellow.

I just caught a gander at that screenshot mock-up. It's beautiful.

Does it make me an overly-picky fanboy that the shorter quills make a lot of difference to me? Like, the difference between me being kinda not excited for this to being really excited for this?

I didn't think it was really possible that the art style of the character itself would really affect my enthusiasm for this game, but, well, I guess there's still a little fanboy left in me after all. :D

ckohler

Ten-Song said:
I'd love to play Sonic CD again it's just that...
Two words: KEGA Fusion. I've been playing Sonic CD on my Mac and it's glorious. Yes, I do own the game on the original Sega CD, the PC CD-Rom and the Sonic GEMs Collection, so don't go calling me a pirate. Emulation however lets me play it with the Japanese soundtrack for the very first time. Mmm.
104jnsk.png

andymcc

Banned
ckohler said:
Two words: KEGA Fusion. I've been playing Sonic CD on my Mac and it's glorious. Yes, I do own the game on the original Sega CD, the PC CD-Rom and the Sonic GEMs Collection, so don't go calling me a pirate. Emulation however lets me play it with the Japanese soundtrack for the very first time. Mmm.
104jnsk.png

plus, the video output is kind of ugly looking on many genesis models. i've been using this too so i can play the japanese one, i own a japanese mega drive but not a mega cd. :lol at least i made the iso i'm using from my japanese copy.

wasn't there supposed to be an update on the official site at 11 AM? i don't see anything new.

I don't remember if it's Kega or Gens but one of them lets you play the game from your cd rom, which is great if you own the game and don't want to mess about making iso files and shit.

And while emulation is nice and crisp I prefer playing it over a tv, can't beat those rose tinted glasses.

andymcc

Banned
Diablohead said:
I don't remember if it's Kega or Gens but one of them lets you play the game from your cd rom, which is great if you own the game and don't want to mess about making iso files and shit.

And while emulation is nice and crisp I prefer playing it over a tv, can't beat those rose tinted glasses.

the pc version of kega supports some CD Roms, the mac version doesn't have cd-rom support, hence, i had to make an iso.

Lijik

Ericsc said:
I thought so too, but I don't see anything different.

I actually happened to check the website as the update happened. The timer under the Characters header counted down, and then lifted itself off the page revealing
nothing at all

Zen

Banned
Rez said:

There's nothing particularly classy about saying Huluen deserved a ban.

I AM JOHN! said:
One day I went to play my PC copy of Sonic CD and found it broken in half.

That day sucked. :(

I played Sonic CD until my Sega CD TV connectors were totally fried, how I wish I could repair them somehow. :(

Sciz

KevinCow said:
So, uh. I just talked to Huelen over AIM. Apparently the ban is permanent.
Bah. The people who've been digging out horrifying fanart and the Cycle for every single Sonic thread over the last couple years have been a hell of a lot more disruptive than he ever was.

jman2050

Geez, Huelen was strange and all, but there's a big difference between being annoying and being disruptive. It's not like we don't have ignore lists for people who just really dislike him.

Heulen was harmless, insane, yes, but harmless nonetheless. A perma ban is more than a little ridiculous. This thread is for us Sonic crazies, as long as its restricted to this thread I don't see who its bothering.

Fusion is definitely the way to play the old school Sonic games these days. Nothing else will touch its ouput quality when hooked upto a modern HDTV. Its scaling and filtering options are excellent. Add a Saturn USB pad and its better than the real thing.

Sega could get away with giving sonic shorter spikes just by saying that the old megadrive games, sonic was younger. easy enough reason / excuse to use and no harm is done, the sonic since SA has had rather long spines which work in 3D but look fugly in this sonic 4 segment we have seen so far. I hope sega think about it and shorten them for the release.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
How many times do you race metal sonic in CD? I did the first one just now and the game has been fucking dreadful up to this point. I mean, obviously the newer games are worse, but this is way below any of the preceding games.

andymcc

Banned
Brobzoid said:
How many times do you race metal sonic in CD? I did the first one just now and the game has been fucking dreadful up to this point. I mean, obviously the newer games are worse, but this is way below any of the preceding games.
sonic cd is my favorite sonic game, and considering only sonic 1 and 2 preceeded sonic cd, I think it's much better than 2 and marginally better than the first one.

WillyFive

Brobzoid said:

You "race" Metal Sonic once in this game, and yes, the game is dreadful. But Sonic 3k makes up for it.

Brobzoid

andymcc said:
sonic cd is my favorite sonic game, and considering only sonic 1 and 2 preceeded sonic cd, I think it's much better than 2 and marginally better than the first one.
oh, I thought it came out after 3&K. Still, your opinion offends me. :mad:

edit: o fuck, I'm in agreement with willy on something D:

Brobzoid

wiki said:
After the release of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Lead Programmer Yuji Naka had grown dissatisfied with the rigid corporate policies at Sega, so he moved to the United States to work with the Sega Technical Institute. Incidentally, a large number of the original design team of Sonic (already known as "Sonic Team") also left for the U.S., to help instruct the American developers. With half of Sonic Team and two of its most important creators present, the Sega Technical Institute eventually got the job to develop Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Meanwhile in Japan, Sonic the Hedgehog CD (or at this point, "CD Sonic" as it was first known [1]) was handled by a separate development team, headed by Sonic creator Naoto Ohshima. Initially, as revealed in interviews and magazine clippings,[2] Sonic CD, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System and Game Gear were supposed to be the same game. However, during development, Sonic CD evolved into a vastly different type of game. Eventually, the gameplay of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 would be favored for the future games, but this explains why the theme and handling of Sonic CD are different, as well as the use of most of the original Sonic the Hedgehog's sprites for the latter title. The time posts also had sprites similar to Knuckles' Chaotix. However, some vestiges of the original tie-in remain.
o i c. The dude that gave us the glorious Blinx games and half of team sonic made Sonic CD. Guess that solves that riddle!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brobzoid said:
o i c. The dude that gave us the glorious Blinx games and half of team sonic made Sonic CD. Guess that solves that riddle!

Screw you dude, I haven't played Sonic CD but I will not have you dissing Oshima!

Boogiepop

Actually, I don't think Sonic CD really clicked with me until I started doing time trials on stages. THEN I started to feel the awesome :)
And... was anyone else just the right kind of foolish young person to pick up Sonic CD for the PC without knowing the Sega CD even existed? I swear, I thought the "CD" was just because it was on a disc and that it was some sort of... off brand Sonic or something. Still loved it, but I always sucked too much to get past Tidal Tempest...

I like sonic CD because it just feels a lot more like the original sonic 1 I was brought up with (S1 is also my favourite game) but I also hate CD for it's flaws and at times nasty level designs, if only they had a few more months to polish and tidy up the game it would be up top for me, but it's below sonic 2 and 3k on my list.

Eric C

andymcc said:
wasn't there supposed to be an update on the official site at 11 AM? i don't see anything new.

I still see nothing on my browser, but some people are saying it now says "Badniks" under characters. Anyone confirm?

Here is a supposed pic

30uqu4y.jpg

I can't get my browser to show that. ^ I even cleared my cache.

RobbieNick

Site didn't update a new character, but the badnik page and it's first badnik, Motobug.

Which Admin can I talk to about getting HUELEN re-instated?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Willy105 said:
You "race" Metal Sonic once in this game, and yes, the game is dreadful.

Wow, really? -_-

The Metal Sonic race was one of the best gameplay moments in Sonic history, as a kid it was terrifying and epic at the same time. Like I said before Sonic 4 was announced, having another on in Sonic 4 would be fantastic.

Brobzoid

Black_Ice said:
Wow, really? -_-

The Metal Sonic race was one of the best gameplay moments in Sonic history, as a kid it was terrifying and epic at the same time. Like I said before Sonic 4 was announced, having another on in Sonic 4 would be fantastic.
I really like the idea and I agree that it would be neat to see it in 4, but I thought it was poorly done in CD. The level design is weird, for instance; if you jump off the first dip in the running plane you land on a upward slope and Sonic desperately tries to defy his own physics engine to climb the slow incline. Meanwhile metal sonic catches up with you and he does a boost right about there so you either get hit or have to jump - and jumping on a upward leaning slope makes you jump back - so now you are infinitely close to Robotnic's beam and since spin dash is bullshit in CD you die.

Outside of that part there are also these little sharp, almost quarter pipe like inclines that you can launch yourself off, only if you don't you don't propel yourself forward enough to be able to climb the next incline and you have to spin dash or get eaten by robotnic again.

Those are the only parts that actually stood out to me during that boss fight. The rest was just mindless running.

Black_Ice said:
Wow, really? -_-

I can see sonic 4 being more like the advance series where everything is less epic and more cheery. A Metal Sonic race won't work unless "eggman" is a real bitch and they race in a run down city full of factories and smoke, something about the atmosphere in sonic 1, 2 and cd will be missing here, I can just tell :/

ryan13ts

So I'm sure everyone but me realized this years ago, but when I just saw Tails full name, Miles Prower, I finally caught the joke.... Miles-per-hour.... so, yeah :lol

ryan13ts said:
So I'm sure everyone but me realized this years ago, but when I just saw Tails full name, Miles Prower, I finally caught the joke.... Miles-per-hour.... so, yeah :lol

Wow, I was in college when Sonic came out, so plenty old enough to catch that, but I never did. I fail.

ckohler said:

'kay, so I got the emulator and ROM (I have the real game as well) but when I load the file the screen goes from static to black -but the game never shows up. What am I missing?

sonic4motobug.gif

Should be GAF legal, re-host yourself before using if you want it.

I've never been sure, what do they call the doc's robots in Japan? Probably not Badniks, since that's a variant of Robotnik. Just "enemy robots," or "Eggman robots" (that sounds familiar), or is there no real collective name for the enemies like there is in English?

We lost Huelen. Now how many Sonic fans are left and I mean those that enjoyed the old and the new (obviously excluding the crap games like Sonic 06). :(

No new character today, only a badnick, meh.

jman2050

ryan13ts said:

It always amazes me how many people still don't get that one.

Top Bottom