• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Firestorm

Yeah, let's all encourage thread derailing. That'll make every thread fun. He'll more than likely be back in 3 days or a week. GAF has no infraction system.

Anyway, isn't the countdown to a new category under character? I assume Sonic and Eggman are the two "Featured" characters. Maybe the second category is for Tails and Knuckles? Or some shitty friends?

KevinCow

Banned
So, uh. I just talked to Huelen over AIM. Apparently the ban is permanent.

A toast to our fallen comrade, who won't be here to share Sonic 4 with us.

I AM JOHN! said:
<Me> they just never show it off because they usually show him in shitty low-budget CG
I have to disagree with this. The CG cutscenes in Sonic games are pretty awful in a lot of ways, but definitely not low budget.

Ten-Song

Firestorm said:
Anyway, isn't the countdown to a new category under character? I assume Sonic and Eggman are the two "Featured" characters. Maybe the second category is for Tails and Knuckles? Or some shitty friends?

Hell, maybe it'll be a shitty new friend as a support character? Sega does love those oh so much.

KevinCow said:

:(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd expect Tails or something.

KevinCow said:

I have to disagree with this. The CG cutscenes in Sonic games are pretty awful in a lot of ways, but definitely not low budget.
he joins the grey ghost in obnoxious thread derailing hell.

Firestorm

Permaban? Well, that does seem a little harsh.
Ten-Song said:
Hell, maybe it'll be a shitty new friend as a support character? Sega does love those oh so much.
I don't think even Sega would see that as a good idea after what they pulled on the with that countdown. Then again, Sega Japan and Sega USA aren't the greatest communicators. Maybe they decided to go old-school on that relationship.

OMG Aero

I miss Huelen, but I have to admit that green eye zoom in was probably one of the craziest posts I've seen since I've joined.
Wrath2X said:
Title: Sonic Rush Destruction
Summary: Due to a koala using the Sol Emeralds for selfish gain, the emeralds triggered a negative reaction that set off a chain of events that eventually led to the destruction of both Sonic's and Blaze's worlds. Keeping in touch through the Chaos Emeralds, Sonic, Tails, and Amy are rescuing their world while Blaze, Marine, and Silver (who recently was teleported for unknown reasons) are rescuing their world.
wat

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wouldn't mind Tails if it's the position of the sidekick, and if it's the villain then it's pretty obvious who would fill that role.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
InfiniteNine said:
I wouldn't mind Tails if it's the position of the sidekick, and if it's the villain then it's pretty obvious who would fill that role.
I'd be pretty surprised if Tails doesn't have a similar role to what he had in Sonic 2 (etc)

Ten-Song

Firestorm said:
I don't think even Sega would see that as a good idea after what they pulled on the with that countdown. Then again, Sega Japan and Sega USA aren't the greatest communicators. Maybe they decided to go old-school on that relationship.

Was a little bit pessimistic of me. I actually think (even though I should not be hopeful for ANYTHING) that Sega seems to have gotten at least that much through their head this time, in regards to not shoving in awful new characters.

RobbieNick

Rez said:
HUELEN10
Banned
(Today, 01:41 AM)
Reply | Quote

deserved.

Fuck you. >:-(

As for the "Green Eyes, Black Eyes" Debate, RubyElcipse did share some light on it on Sonic Stadium, and there may be some hope for classic fans.

"Know that we are still listening. The feedback that fans have – be it for classic or modern – is something we will continue to compile and send upwards internally.

So, whichever type of Sonic you prefer – or even if you really don’t care – make sure to post at least once, somewhere, about it. You may not see the results immediately, but then again, you rarely will with things that matter most."

http://sonicstadium.org/community/rubyeclipse-weighs-in-on-the-classic-vs-modern-debate

Sega1991 said:
Incidentally, speaking of being a little too enthusiastic, yesterday in this thread the subject of Sonic CD and the differences between the Sega CD version and the version in Sonic Gems Collection came up.

I decided to make a comparison video.

... But Sonic Gems Collection is ports of the PC versions of Sonic CD and Sonic R, not the Sega CD and Saturn versions... (plus arcade Sonic The Fighters)

They aren't straight ports of the PC versions, though. Sonic R removed network play of course (the PC version had already increseased the multiplayer from the 2 player splitscreen of the Saturn to 4 players, and increased graphics quality), and Sonic CD had changes as well (Wikipedia):

In addition to the PC port, Sonic CD is part of the Nintendo GameCube (and, in Japan and Europe, PlayStation 2) compilation Sonic Gems Collection. This version is ported from the PC version with some enhancements regarding the game's frame rate and action speed (with no frame rate slow-down), however it also suffered from minor graphical errors such as scrambled backgrounds and the lack of colour in the water from Tidal Tempest. The soundtrack in this version depends on the region, though European versions of the game contain the American soundtrack (unlike previous European releases which featured the Japanese soundtrack). This version also included the highest quality versions of the animated intro and ending sequences.

PC version intro (and good ending): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAKBXuY5P4 -- it's basically in between the Sega CD and Sonic Gems versions in quality.

Ten-Song

RobbieNick said:
Fuck you. >:-(

As for the "Green Eyes, Black Eyes" Debate, RubyElcipse did share some light on it on Sonic Stadium, and there may be some hope for classic fans.

"Know that we are still listening. The feedback that fans have – be it for classic or modern – is something we will continue to compile and send upwards internally.

So, whichever type of Sonic you prefer – or even if you really don’t care – make sure to post at least once, somewhere, about it. You may not see the results immediately, but then again, you rarely will with things that matter most."

http://sonicstadium.org/community/rubyeclipse-weighs-in-on-the-classic-vs-modern-debate

"Compile and send upwards internally" doesn't even remotely mean that anyone actually working on the game will listen to any of the insane demands though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
KevinCow said:

I salute my fellow soldier, who fell while bravely fighting the.. the.. uhm.. let's just say he fell bravely :( Here's to you, Huelen! Your shenanigans will be missed :(

Firestorm said:
Sonic the Green Eyed Hedgehog - For or Against

Against, if only because I associate green eyed Sonic with shitty Sonic games.

Incidentally, I guess this guy commented on my Sonic CD comparison video and requested I post it in here:

Klaymator14 said:
Hey, awesome comparison! I've been following the original needlemouse thread and the newer Sonic 4 thread. I've signed up for GAF&#65279; but my account has yet to be activated. I wanted to post something a while ago regarding the images supposedly found on the Sonic 4 site which could correspond to different characters in the game. Some people didn't believe they were no other evidence of others finding them. I can confirm they are there.

You can find them by taking the main swf on the website and decompiling it. Then you&#65279; open it in Adobe flash and look in the library and look through the images, they are there... just wanted to clear that up for the people at GAF... if you want to, can you post that on there for me? Thanks a lot if you can :D

-Blayke :)

RobbieNick

Ten-Song said:
"Compile and send upwards internally" doesn't even remotely mean that anyone actually working on the game will listen to any of the insane demands though.

Maybe not, but at least they're acknowledging it and listening.

wRATH2x

Banned
Jesus HUELEN got perma'd!? Sure he was nuts but he was still a nice guy, he didn't really do anything perma bannable.

Must be a bad day for him, he got perma'd and that character countdown turned out to be nothing.

Oh and I'm all for black eyes if I had to choose.

Unless Huelin self-destructed somewhere we didn't see, that seems harsh. The picture was a little obnoxious, but not offensive or anything. Maybe something was said in a PM, though.

Ten-Song said:
I'd love to play Sonic CD again it's just that...

Wait, what's that?

That was cruel. It actually created a feeling of dread and disappointment. :lol

There really should be a D.A. Garden PS3 Premium Theme. Maybe you could even rotate the planet with the controller's tilt, I think there's a theme or two with interaction like that.

Gagaman

The hell, what harm was Huelen doing to deserve a ban? He was eccentric sure, but didn't troll people like so many seem to at him for every post he made, and didn't post a bunch of unwanted dodgy Sonic fan art in the thread like so many did for the lulz in every Sonic thread. Christ this forum is a joke sometimes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gagaman said:
The hell, what harm was Huelen doing to deserve a ban? He was eccentric sure, but didn't troll people like so many seem to at him for every post he made, and didn't post a bunch of unwanted dodgy Sonic fan art in the thread like so many did for the lulz in every Sonic thread. Christ this forum is a joke sometimes.
the door -->

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oh shiiii~ I just got around to reading the last page of this thread. amazing shit. The game might be trash, but at least I got my money's worth from this thread.

Now we won't get Huelen's reaction to the announcement of backbone's involvement. ;_;

Rlan

I don't care at all about Sonic's bloody eye color or if he's got longer quills or not, but does anyone happen to have any of that Anti-SA stuff Segasonic.net used to have? :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
accolade said:
if it's anything like New Super Mario Bros was to the original, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is going to be great.
:lol :lol

Hint: One is by Nintendo, the other is by Sega.

I mean, fucking hell, Nintendo did a better job of a 3D Sonic in Smash Bros than Sega ever had. :lol

Lijik

Huelen got permabanned? Man way to start my day off with a downer.

Ten-Song said:
The biggest problem Sega has with aesthetics in regards to Sonic isn't about his looks, so much as they've made his character annoying and stupid. Then again, they've made EVERY character annoying and stupid.

Pretty much. I'm largely apathetic towards Sonic's modern look outside of the beyond freakishly tall Riders and 2006 incarnations, its the personality that needs retooling.

Gagaman

Diablohead said:
I had a look at the website and under the 2nd black bar with 0 time on it, was nothing? :lol
Yeah, it was like that a few days ago too when I had a look. The timer sparkles away and reveals a link to nothing at all. Great website programming, guys.

Teknoman

Since its characters and not within the featured section, im gonna guess "Badniks" with actual 3d models to view. Had no idea Huelen got banned so that kinda sucked.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What the hell? Perma? That shouldn't have even been a one day ban.

Someone PM me Huelen's SN, or ask him what the reason was for the ban. It couldn't have been for this.

Gagaman

Diablohead said:
The green eye shit was getting a bit overkill and I don't blame a mod for being pissed off at it.
Enough for a permanent ban though? Seems a bit harsh considering he wasn't breaking any of the OP's rules:

Firestorm said:
What This Thread Is Not
- a place to write your Sonic fanfiction
- a place to repost Sonic fanfiction which I can't understand how you found in the first place
- a place to link to other Sonic forums where people discuss how much they want to marry Sonic
- a place to post furry art (your own and reposts)
- a place to post Sonic comics (Archie or otherwise unless it is a timely strip about something relevant to the announcements)
- a place to post the Sonic Cycle because you are a unique snowflake and it is just oh so funny

Keep this thread work safe. That is all. Want to talk about one of those things? Last thread is still alive.

I presume this wasn't just about that green eye zoom in image, otherwise it's rather silly if you ask me.

Eric C

Huelen perma banned? I thought it'd only be a short one.

RagnarokX said:
Wow... this really does make a pretty big difference...

xek0zq.gif

Not that it will make a difference gameplay wise but that really shows how much better shorter spikes look in a 2D game. IMO.

Top Bottom