• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

StAidan

Is there a way for people out of Japan to use kana in their names? (I ask because I wanted to put a squid in my name some time back, but couldn't find any kana in the name menu, but I just played a splatfest match with someone with a Japanese name)

Yeah, I did it myself a few weeks ago just for amusement. The typical process involves using a hacked Wii (the Wii U's Wii Mode doesn't count, even if you have the Homebrew Channel on it) to change your Wii's region, which allows you to create a Japanese-named Mii. Then you do a Wii -> 3DS transfer of the Mii, and then a 3DS -> Wii U transfer of it.

In my case, rather than hack my Wii, I created a Japanese name via the Dolphin emulator, transferred the Mii to a Wiimote, then copied it to the Wii. Then did the Wii -> 3DS -> Wii U cycle.

It's a silly amount of effort, but it can be done :)

blamite

I'm a bit out of the Splatoon loop (Sploop?), but do Splatfestsvalways use the same 3 maps for the entire 24 hours, or did I just get really unlucky both times I played? The whole map rotation aspect of this game is killin' me.

Geg

I'm a bit out of the Splatoon loop (Sploop?), but do Splatfestsvalways use the same 3 maps for the entire 24 hours, or did I just get really unlucky both times I played? The whole map rotation aspect of this game is killin' me.

Yep, all splatfests have been 3 maps for 24 hours.

L95

Yeah, I did it myself a few weeks ago just for amusement. The typical process involves using a hacked Wii (the Wii U's Wii Mode doesn't count, even if you have the Homebrew Channel on it) to change your Wii's region, which allows you to create a Japanese-named Mii. Then you do a Wii -> 3DS transfer of the Mii, and then a 3DS -> Wii U transfer of it.

In my case, rather than hack my Wii, I created a Japanese name via the Dolphin emulator, transferred the Mii to a Wiimote, then copied it to the Wii. Then did the Wii -> 3DS -> Wii U cycle.

It's a silly amount of effort, but it can be done :)

Ahh, cool. I was actually really curious how that happened.

blamite

Yep, all splatfests have been 3 maps for 24 hours.
Ah, alright then. Guess I just need to play the game a lot more to check out the rest of the maps.

I had a pretty good winstreak going tonight and made it to Sandcastle Champion at literally the last possible moment. Go sandcastles! Winter sucks!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Forgot about the Splatfest today until 11:20. Got in seven games in 40 minutes. LOST FIVE OF THEM. This game makes me so angry sometimes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It almost didn't work though. This was the closest splatfest since art vs science, probably thanks to the new skill-based matchmaking

"Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, my friend. A win is a win!

and splat bombs, and ink strikes ... y'know

Lost but 18 Super Sea Snails is okay. Going to have play plenty more Splatfests to upload all my gear.

They still need to make winning go back to 4x. 6x is too much.

Good job everyone!

I picked Sandcastle, and I have to say this splatfest was at least an interesting experience for me. I really liked being able to get 8 points per win, that helped with my progress by a lot. I got much more interesting competition this time around as well.

Unfortunately I still got not very helpful players that were getting K/Ds like 0/7 or 2/6. I would occasionally be the player that turfed the most on my team, despite using the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco.

I switched to Rapid Blaster Pro at some other point though and that loadout seemed like a better match for the maps available.

So, got some upside and downside, although from elsewhere I'm hearing mostly negatives.

ChrisD

Splatfest was a mixed bag for me. Matchmaking at the start was really fun, and games were all close (none of them went past a 10% win). Today while I got my Royalty it was a pain. Lots of blow-outs from both teams. It was a bit maddening.

Tonight was hyper-productive though. Think I leveled like five shirts in Ranked. Splat Zones on Mahi Mahi is really fun when you're tired and half out of it. >_>

Moondrop

Banned
Splatfest made me want to learn the Dynamo Roller. Obviously tougher than it looks. Here's hoping we receive another one with a new sub/special combo.

Hell I'd gladly take another standard roller with a different sub/special kit.

Put this all together today, very happy with it.

cL5RhwK.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
It's been a LONG time coming SplatGAF!

WVW69jBARoQEJ_A4uY

Carbon Roller Deco. Port + Camp Rainmaker. I'm finally S+!

After 3 separate times of getting as high as S 92 and then just losing it immediately and losing my morale to do this, I finally did it. I'm just gonna let this sit for a while.

:D :D :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

WVW69jBARoQEJ_A4uY

After 3 separate times of getting as high as S 92 and then just losing it immediately and losing my morale to do this, I finally did it. I'm just gonna let this sit for a while.

Congrats!

ChrisD

WVW69jBARoQEJ_A4uY

And you did it while FRESH! :O
Congratulations!

J@hranimo

Banned

Wow, I guess I stick out here :p

Proud that I got S+ with a less than popular weapon.

Congrats!

And you did it while FRESH! :O
Congratulations!

Thanks! Yup being fresh is always great while having good gear for it. Opening Gambit is so good for solo rainmaker in my opinion for getting to mid, popping the fish, and running to their pedestal.

EDIT: I realized you meant the vibe, not my gear lol. Yeah basically I started at S 86 halfway through the rotation and went between 1 win, 1 lose, 2 wins, 1 loss, etc.

Geg

I would occasionally be the player that turfed the most on my team, despite using the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco.

They actually changed it so that the order you're listed on the results screen is based on your overall splatfest power. I figured that out after I had people on my team who DC'd show up higher than me on the results screen lol

I'm going to try the .96 Gal Deco now. Can anyone weigh in and give me a good gear layout generally speaking? Coming from the Dual Squelcher, so obviously it will have less range i guess...

ChrisD

here to apologize to all the poor low rank players I beat in my initial run to S way back when where I abused the luna blaster

Man Blasters on Tower Control are some next level annoyance. Seeing things from the other side hurts. @.@

I already know how strong Mink is because I see a fair amount of them. But Luna on Tower Control is just... Wow. I'm the one never getting on Tower if I know they're alive.

Azure's claim that Custom E-Liters will run Tenacity in their Custom Starter Pack(TM) is looking spot on so far. Six of them, only one without Tenacity. I quit even trying to hard flank them after a while and just rained Disruptors wherever possible instead. They always had a Kraken charged.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yup, in my time in Solo queue this morning I ran across a few Custom Range Blasters that ALWAYS had the kraken. I suppose I should work on a tenacity headgear soonish.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I'm going to try the .96 Gal Deco now. Can anyone weigh in and give me a good gear layout generally speaking? Coming from the Dual Squelcher, so obviously it will have less range i guess...

.96 Deco main here; happy to share my thoughts on some good useful abilities.

----

• Swim Speed Up - Useful for that little bit of extra speed for moving around and positioning. Also synergises with the Kraken Special very well, allowing it to be a little more useful.
  • Ink Saver Main/Sub - Since the Splash Wall nerf, it's very difficult for the .96 Deco to stay active after throwing a wall, even if the wall itself is quite useful. 2.3 seconds is a really long time to only have, at best, 40% of your ink tank left, which does not bode well with its high ink consumption. Both Ink Saver Main and Ink Saver Sub help work around this problem by either getting more shots out of a limited ink pool (main), or giving you more ink to work with(sub). Personally, I prefer Main saver as it keeps your overall ink consumption down, and thus requires less refill time. Using both savers synergies even better.
  • Quick Respawn - What ability works well with every weapon? You guessed it!
  • Given all of the above, Last Ditch Effort gives you every Ink Efficiency ability, plus Quick Respawn, so it can be a very useful ability, especially if you're stacking abilities. Always activates in the last 30s and overtime, as well as when the enemy score in Ranked Mode drops below 30; very useful for turnarounds.
  • Quick Super Jump - For surprise Kraken dives, or for a faster retreats to base if you find yourself in a losing situation behind a wall or similar. (Thanks again Kevin for showing me the light)
-----

• Don't bother with trying to use Run Speed Up to improve the firing walking speed like you can do with the .52. It's really not worth it. Of course, it can still be useful for certain stages and modes like Hammerhead Rainmaker, so consider it situational at best.
  • Damage Up is purely for the insult factor, as the .96 can never be made to 3-hit kill, so avoid it unless you like rubbing salt into the eyes of squids. :p

ss-hikaru

So I finally dropped from S where I was clinging for dear life, partially due to some extremely laggy rainmaker games where I would run over the rainmaker 5 times and not pick it up/run over it twice and not pick it up so would give up and walk off only to have it teleport into my hand later... I think I've been spoiled twinning with S/S+ people because A ranks is amazing(ly terrible). I got stubborn and ranked down to A with a bunch of rainmaker games (bane of my squid existence -_-), it's definitely my weakest mode since it isn't in rotation much when I play so I kept playing even when I was on a losing streak because I wanted to get used to it. Totally get the whole #hokoisshit thing now, one match on dome got knocked out in seconds and no one on either team died. I was in a firefight on the way to the middle when I realised they were sneaking around so tried to head back but it was too late. Not sure where the rest of my team was :p

But yeah A ranks, it's so bad I can't even be mad. Stupid stuff like having a charger and heavy splatling running around and charging in the zone, I mean sure we have the zone covered and lots of the area around it but yeah they died and you can guess what happened. Or when I bubble next to my team mate, move towards them to share and they run off, this is on a map where you can't fall into any water!! Or the time I took out 3 squids, dying with the last and my team just let the timer count down to 40 or so instead of trying to take back our zone, they were all just inking near base for some reason... It's a bit frustrating because I feel like I'm playing pretty well, actually getting really good KDs and pushing the objective. I mean, getting good KDs isn't exactly a notable trait of mine :p

On the bright side I'm back to A+ and I've figured out a good set for my sloshing machine and hopefully I'm a bit better with rainmaker and got some cash reserves XD

WVW69jBARoQEJ_A4uY

Yay you made it, I'm glad you didn't quit XD

Geg

In addition to what Toad said, the DS and 96 gal actually have the same range, the 96 is just slower and less accurate so it may feel like you're outranging it when you play against it

J@hranimo

Banned
Congrats can you rank down if you play more ranked and lose?

I'm not sure if you're asking me or Chris here, but yeah you can derank from any rank. The only thing is that S/S+ still has a different point system when winning or losing.

Yay you made it, I'm glad you didn't quit XD

Sorry about the solo ranked troubles, sometimes the game gets like that...you know how I was with solo getting frustrated a few times lol D:

and thanks again! I'm not touching solo for a while now, gonna bask in that S+30 :p

abd

WVW69jBARoQEJ_A4uY

Congrats man.

In addition to what Toad said, the DS and 96 gal actually have the same range, the 96 is just slower and less accurate so it may feel like you're outranging it when you play against it

Hmmm yeah i wasn't aware of that... Now i am actually rethinking this... What ARE the advantages over the DS in that case?

Just picked this up yesterday.

Is there a beginner's guide for best gear/perks to go after? Feel like everyone is so far above me in weapons and gear.

Regiruler

Just picked this up yesterday.

Is there a beginner's guide for best gear/perks to go after? Feel like everyone is so far above me in weapons and gear.
It's really more of a skill difference than a perk difference.

You have to imagine everyone else has dozens or hundreds of hours over you.

Top Bottom