• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

terrible

Banned
Wheel works on PC and PS3 with the T500 wheel base, I have my PS4 at my parents' home and would have to pay them a visit to test that. But so far everything worked without the slightest problem, all buttons, pedals are working and it calibrated correctly. Tried GT6 and even found the button that is matched to PS-button, which is more than I can say of my 599XX alcantara wheel. I honestly can't imagine it wouldn't work with a T300 base as well.

I can test it on the weekend since I have a T300 and TX now. Hopefully I don't forget. I'll try it with pCARS and GT6. I'd be shocked if the TX pedals and wheel didn't work with the T300 base for PC, PS3, and PS4. They're supposed to all be interchangeable.

Mascot

Last bit of faffing with my pCARS Dash setup: two iPhones now fixed to the wheel and the tablets put back on top of the telly. That'll do.

20160316_183721_zpshqcjkj5k.jpg

danowat

Banned
Last bit of faffing with my pCARS Dash setup: two iPhones now fixed to the wheel and the tablets put back on top of the telly. That'll do.

LMAO, FFS, looks like the space shuttle, Captain Mascot on bridge!

atlantis-cockpit.jpg

Seriously though, pretty cool setup man, I am only jealous ;)

terrible

Banned
I'd probably be crashing into everyone if I had that many distractions haha.
More than usual I mean.

I have my pCARS vHUD set up mostly just to log lap times and such. That's pretty handy since it's not so easy to keep track of that stuff in-game. It saves a spreadsheet with everyone's times after each race.

edit

I started playing the game with a wheel on PS4 and oh boy. FFB out of the gate was completely mushy. Basically zero center feel with marshmellow tires. I forgot how bad it was without tweaking the settings. Once I copied all my settings from PC it felt good though. There's still room for improvement since I haven't done all the Jack Spade per car FFB stuff yet but it's playable now.

Just posting this cause i thought its a great shot

The shot is fantastic, but the image quality in pCARS is kinda shit when you compare it to Forza or Driveclub... especially in photo mode. Take away the lightning and car and you could sell me that screenshot as coming from rFactor. Insane that I remember times when the first screenshots from pCARS development had me thinking "uuh.., sure... and what PC is supposed to be able to run that?". When was that? 2011? No... (*researching*) that was early 2013:
I don't think I could make my game look like that, not even on the highest setting and downsampling it. Eh, whatever, I don't care that much about graphics in a sim anyway.

In other news: I bought a shifter. The wall is making it hard to enter my seat from the left, now my shifter is making it hard from the right side too. Should I try left-hand drive? (edit: I meant left-hand SHIFTING, as in "right-hand drive"... damn)

danowat

Banned
They were complete bullshots, you can't even recreate the camera positions (at least without mods or console commands) all those Screenshots must have been done using dev only options.

Looks like patch 10.0 (2.2 GB) is up.

Could the GOTY Pagani and Nurburgring DLC possibly be dropping, say, tomorrow? I'm itching to give the BC and Revolucion a try.

Mascot

Looks like patch 10.0 (2.2 GB) is up.

Could the GOTY Pagani and Nurburgring DLC possibly be dropping, say, tomorrow? I'm itching to give the BC and Revolucion a try.

Colour me well and truly underwhelmed. I think any hope of serious fixes for the major outstanding issues died with this patch.

Roll on pCARS 2.

Project CARS – Xbox One Patch 10.0 – Release Notes

Vehicles
• Aston Martin - DBR1-2, Vantage GTE, Vantage GT12: Tweaked cockpit exposure to better balance the world brightness when driving in cockpit view.
• Ford Falcon FG - Made the in-cockpit steering wheel static when disabled so that the digital display is still visible.
• Ford Fusion Stockcar - Fixed a damage issue, tweaks to setups so car is less likely to go on two wheels.
• Dallara DW12 Indycar - Tweaks to setups so car is less likely to go on two wheels.

Pitstops
• Fixed an issue where, if the player pits on the final lap and only closes the pit board after crossing the place in the pitlane where the finish line is (but before the post-race screen comes up), the race would fail to end.

Pitstops
• Fixed an issue where, if the player pits on the final lap and only closes the pit board after crossing the place in the pitlane where the finish line is (but before the post-race screen comes up), the race would fail to end.

I've seen this patch on more than a few other titles too. Seems like an easy catch during development. Maybe it's an inside programmer joke. Kinda like the Wilhelm scream for audio guys.

Colour me well and truly underwhelmed. I think any hope of serious fixes for the major outstanding issues died with this patch.

Roll on pCARS 2.

The patch notes didn't rock my world, either, but the game is functional enough by now that I'll put aside my frustration with the lingering issues, accept it as a flawed masterpiece and put my full faith in the sequel. Shit's gonna be grand.

TJP

Roll on pCARS 2.
Also known as 'welcome to modern gaming' where all the shit the dev's can't fix is said to be fixed in the sequel ;)

Looking forward to upgrading to the gold edition once the PC patch arrives.

Momentary

Banned
PCARS2 has some awesome cars in it already that they should have had in this game. Since they are coming to a close on PCARS1 they have been making some major leaps in the new one. The amount of tracks in the new game is already overwhelming.

Mascot

The patch notes didn't rock my world, either, but the game is functional enough by now that I'll put aside my frustration with the lingering issues, accept it as a flawed masterpiece and put my full faith in the sequel. Shit's gonna be grand.

I absolutely love it, but was really hoping for a fix for Silverstone Classic's pit issue (the best MP racing track in the game IMHO) or a 'randomise grid' option for MP so that we can at least race online at Silverstone with fair grid positions (as qualifying at this track crashes the game).

PCARS2 has some awesome cars in it already that they should have had in this game. Since they are coming to a close on PCARS1 they have been making some major leaps in the new one. The amount of tracks in the new game is already overwhelming.

Details please!

danowat

Banned

Roll on pCARS 2.

They've pretty much been done with PCars 1 for a few months now, I wonder if that was the best decision.

I would imagine there is a good 1-2 years before PCars 2 hits, wouldn't it have been prudent to keep up the traction of PCars 1 a little in the meantime?, there are still plenty of things that need fixing.

Mascot

They've pretty much been done with PCars 1 for a few months now, I wonder if that was the best decision.

I would imagine there is a good 1-2 years before PCars 2 hits, wouldn't it have been prudent to keep up the traction of PCars 1 a little in the meantime?, there are still plenty of things that need fixing.

I'm hoping they will keep trying to fix things but I must be honest - I don't hold out much hope for PSVR support for pCARS 1 now.

danowat

Banned
I'm hoping they will keep trying to fix things but I must be honest - I don't hold out much hope for PSVR support for pCARS 1 now.

I've been getting tons and tons of C-**** crash errors on the PS4 since the most recent patch, was doing a 24hr race (10% distance, so only 2hrs), and it crashed 1.5hrs in.

No confidence in it at the moment.

Mascot

Certainly be a shame after saying it would come, but then again yeah I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it has been dropped.

I'm guessing they would leave the main game alone (because every new patch seems to bring baggage) and might release a separate PSVR version of pCARS 1 for £20 or something.

Darkdeus

They were complete bullshots, you can't even recreate the camera positions (at least without mods or console commands) all those Screenshots must have been done using dev only options.

They were not bullshots. I took a lot of those shots and they were all in game. They had slightly more camera freecam options but that's about it. Check out my gallery here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/albums/72157651623208219

All unedited and in game. You just have to use the right time of day. The game looks really washed out and crappy at midday sometimes but around 4pm looks really good like in these shots.

Juicy Bob

I love this game, but I really, really wish you could choose the cars you race against in offline racing.

Like, I love that you can make any quick race multi-class, but you can't specify exactly which classes or which cars compete. Such a minor thing, but it'd make such a difference.

I literally play out all my personal motorsport fantasies in this game. It's so rich in options and has only gotten better since release.

fresquito

I love this game, but I really, really wish you could choose the cars you race against in offline racing.

Like, I love that you can make any quick race multi-class, but you can't specify exactly which classes or which cars compete. Such a minor thing, but it'd make such a difference.

I literally play out all my personal motorsport fantasies in this game. It's so rich in options and has only gotten better since release.
I think there's a program to make a custom grid. Don't know whether it works only on PC (I guess so). You could find it at the official forums.

Mascot

There are so many examples of little options that were missed in pCARS. It's really frustrating. There are random grid positions possible in SP, but not MP for example.

Megasoum

Banned
It's really pissing me off that I missed on the pCars 2 crowd funding.... I loved the WMD stuff.... Ugh...

Missed the Reiza campaign too arghh.

Mascot

It's really pissing me off that I missed on the pCars 2 crowd funding.... I loved the WMD stuff.... Ugh...

I also snoozed and losed, so have been trying to find any leaked nuggets of info about pCARS 2. There's not a lot out there. Those WMD mofos are a tight-lipped bunch, it seems. And quite right too.

The only thing I found that didn't stink entirely of dog's eggs was this, but it still has the unmistakable stench of speculation about it.

Oh, and this full-frontal attack from Pretentracecars.

Megasoum

Banned
I also snoozed and losed, so have been trying to find any leaked nuggets of info about pCARS 2. There's not a lot out there. Those WMD mofos are a tight-lipped bunch, it seems. And quite right too.

The only thing I found that didn't stink entirely of dog's eggs was this, but it still has the unmistakable stench of speculation about it.

Yeah at least I'm lucky for that... My friend is in it so he feeds me scoops from time to time lol

fresquito

Oh, and this full-frontal attack from Pretentracecars.
Wow. I'm speechless. What a load of bullshit, from both articles. I couldn't get past the first paragraph in any of them. Is it so hard to write down something without building it on your own biases?

The game is not releasing this year, I'm even not certain it will release next year. The game is not a beta either. Well... I'm not going to debunk all the shit written in these articles, it would simply take too much. But i warn you all, don't believe in people that don't even understand the very basics of game development.

How's the game? It's very, very, very early. It's building on the foundations of Project CARS 1. They have been mostly doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff: cleaning code, rewritting stuff, working on new tech. Some of these things are making its way into the builds, some are not. hey have even taken out many of the things that work in PC1 because they will build them from scratcch. Others are still there because they will be improved.

For reference, the basics of STM will be there for PC2, but they will expand them and have a lot more understanding of how to corectly tweak the system. I can say that, at this stage, with no extra tech involved, some cars feel already better than any PC1 car. STM was introduced like two years ago. They only had one year to learn how to correctly use it before release. Now they have doubled that time, so it's no wonder it feels better. But there're some mechanical and other simulations that they are rebuilding.

We have had access to some documentation on how things are planned to work regarding Career, MP, Championships and all that shit. But, like I said, it's still way too early to have these in a working condition. I will say though that these documents look promising. Will they come to reality? Who knows.

About the WMD forum, it's much, much, much better this time around. It's a lot more quiet and well mannered. People are more aware that it's not a simple forum, but a working enviroment. Maybe it's lacking a bit of heated discussion, but I'd rather have it like this than what the original WMD was.

All in all, it's still very interesting to see how the game is built. I have hopes that this time the game will be much more polished than PC1.

Mascot

Wow. I'm speechless. What a load of bullshit, from both articles. I couldn't get past the first paragraph in any of them. Is it so hard to write down something without building it on your own biases?

The game is not releasing this year, I'm even not certain it will release next year. The game is not a beta either. Well... I'm not going to debunk all the shit written in these articles, it would simply take too much. But i warn you all, don't believe in people that don't even understand the very basics of game development.

How's the game? It's very, very, very early. It's building on the foundations of Project CARS 1. They have been mostly doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff: cleaning code, rewritting stuff, working on new tech. Some of these things are making its way into the builds, some are not. hey have even taken out many of the things that work in PC1 because they will build them from scratcch. Others are still there because they will be improved.

For reference, the basics of STM will be there for PC2, but they will expand them and have a lot more understanding of how to corectly tweak the system. I can say that, at this stage, with no extra tech involved, some cars feel already better than any PC1 car. STM was introduced like two years ago. They only had one year to learn how to correctly use it before release. Now they have doubled that time, so it's no wonder it feels better. But there're some mechanical and other simulations that they are rebuilding.

We have had access to some documentation on how things are planned to work regarding Career, MP, Championships and all that shit. But, like I said, it's still way too early to have these in a working condition. I will say though that these documents look promising. Will they come to reality? Who knows.

About the WMD forum, it's much, much, much better this time around. It's a lot more quiet and well mannered. People are more aware that it's not a simple forum, but a working enviroment. Maybe it's lacking a bit of heated discussion, but I'd rather have it like this than what the original WMD was.

All in all, it's still very interesting to see how the game is built. I have hopes that this time the game will be much more polished than PC1.

Just the kind of response I was hoping for - many thanks Fresquito.

I too have high hopes for pCARS 2. Spaceman Spiff said it perfectly when he called pCARS a 'flawed masterpiece'. I love it despite its faults, and it should prove to be a very solid foundation for pCARS 2 to expand on.

:)

Megasoum

Banned
I had to format and re-install Windows recently and now pCARS feels....weird...

I can't remember if I had changed any settings before but right now, the actual FFB is fine (like bumps, counter steering and all that) but the wheel feels really stiff... Like there's a lot of spring to center. It takes too much strength just to turn it when I'm cornering.

terrible

Banned
I had to format and re-install Windows recently and now pCARS feels....weird...

I can't remember if I had changed any settings before but right now, the actual FFB is fine (like bumps, counter steering and all that) but the wheel feels really stiff... Like there's a lot of spring to center. It takes too much strength just to turn it when I'm cornering.

From the Jack Spade FFB thread

Q: My wheel feels too weak.
A: You have several options for increasing the strength of FFB:
1. Experiment with Range Compression settings.
2. Increase Tire Force - this will increase all forces without breaking their relative ratios.
3. Increase FFB strength in wheel profiler (in Logitech, uncheck allow game to change settings box).
4. Increase SpindleMasterScale/SoPScale but keep them at the same level.

Note: tweaker files are specifically crafted to avoid clipping (sending values above wheel abilities to output). Clipping leads to fidelity loss. You can observe clipping in clipping meter of Telemetry HUD (flat line overflows).

Q: My wheel feels too strong.
A: See "My wheel feels too weak" and do the opposite steps. Note: do not reduce FFB level in game. FFB in game should be always set to 100.

Hope that helps a bit.

Blizzard

Banned
For any U.S. backers who received payments, how did you report it for taxes? Royalties? *edit* Glancing at the forum / terms of service, it looks like flat income as a contractor seems correct.

Mascot

Some painful cow-milking from Giant Bomb from 3:32:30 onwards

No cockpit shadows?

Edit: Just posted on the official forums:

Stephen Viljoen said:
Hey guys, It's going pretty crazy over here in "get all this stuff done and out there" land, and I wish I had solid answers for you on all your questions, but I don't. Here's what we have so far:

The version we released on the Oculus Store is the base Project CARS game plus all DLC up to this point. We will patch it up to full GOTY version for free once the final DLC is live. So what you buy/get on Oculus Store is the full GOTY version.

What we are pushing for is to give Oculus Store keys to those customers who's purchased the same on Steam. So, if you've either purchased the base game and all DLC, or you buy the upcoming GOTY version on Steam, then you will get a complimentary key for the Oculus Store version. The final call is with our publisher, but we feel that this is a very fair scenario and expect that they will agree.

We don't know yet the exact logistics of how we'll manage to verify the required purchases, but are working on it with Valve, and pushing as much as we can so that we can have it all in place as soon as possible. This has been ongoing for months, so not something we just left to the last minute. Now that it's all 'live', I expect us to have a wrap-up very soon on this.

As far as the game on Steam goes - We will be patching it up to the same level, feature and bug fixes wise, as the Oculus Store level. This will take a little time obviously as there's a lot to port back over, test, etc. The work we've put into the VR support has been extensive. We've had a sub-team working on this for a few months to ensure that it's a proper, polished VR experience in all aspects. So don't feel too bad if you're tempted to support the team by buying it again on Oculus Store if you can't wait for the Steam update. ;)

I will post updates to the above as and when we receive them.

...And yes, shadows are fully working, and pretty darn sweet if I say so myself.

DD

This game is still annoying as f*ck. Yesterday I was doing a Lotus F1 '86 race in Zolder when it started to rain. The track was still dry, so I decided to do another lap before changing tires. I did it on the following lap, the track was all wet, and suddenly the car started to feel weird. At first I though it was because of the wet asphalt, but mid lap I noted that the rear left tire was overheating. I was shortshift, fighting with the car, but the traction was disappearing to the point where I couldn't keep the car straight. The HUD showed red hot rear tires. What the f*ck? The track was wet already, I was using wet tires, why the hell it was behaving like that? I had to give up the race. =/

Megasoum

Banned
Cross posting from the PC Racing Sim thread since it's about pCARS...

Statement from SMS about mod support in pCARS.... Really fucking cool!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-GT3-Project&p=1255987&viewfull=1#post1255987

Yes sorry guys, we've a lot going on right now and this change going live rather went under the radar; the plan was to provide documentation at the time of the patch coming out. The summary is that we've actually added support for mods which will make it easier to add new content, not harder, but doing so has broken the current approach (which was far from ideal and open to abuse).

Unfortunately the relevant owners are away on a business trip today, so I can't promise an immediate update (or even before the Easter break).

We think the GT3 mod rocks and actually used it to implement this new feature, so please don't think otherwise. I can only apologise again for the bad management on my part which led to this short term upset.

Planning to give away codes so steam-version owners get the oculus store version for free, now better mod support and this humble tone in the messages... did something terrible happen to SMS or are they preparing us for some bad news or something??! Kinda scared here...

Megasoum

Banned
Planning to give away codes so steam-version owners get the oculus store version for free, now better mod support and this humble tone in the messages... did something terrible happen to SMS or are they preparing us for some bad news or something??! Kinda scared here...

Look a couple of messages up, you'll see a message from Ian Bell the CEO and it's the usual tone lol.

Also it's always been mostly Ian that had bad attitude online... The rest of the staff are all right.

Top Bottom