• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

z3phon

he is talking about the entire life-span of this Game

Ps4&Xbox One = 5-7 Mio
PC Version = 1-2 Mio
PS4K Version = 1 Mio

Nintendo NX Version = 1 Mio

i can see it happen? But it has to be a good game, with good reviews etc.

It will have a huge marketing campaing behind it with the movie and all the stuff.
Why are people listing PS4K separately. Having not gone through the PS4K thread I assumed newer PS4 games would work on PS4 and PS4K. Just like playing a game on a high end pc and a lower spec'ed pc, you don't need to buy the game twice. It's just game settings.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't know why you all trying to get with the sales of The Witcher 3 while trying to imagine the sales of this one because the 2 games are so different in target and presentation with The Witcher 3 being the clearly winner considering that it hit all the sweet spots of what the market wanted/wants while FFXV looks like a cute mess that doesn't really know who to pander.

The Witcher 3 is overrated trash though. Notice how nobody talks about it anymore now that the hype is gone? Just like what happened with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Bioshock Infinite kii. XV already has a lot more hype than W3 ever had, and we're still half a year away.

XV will undoubtedly double W3's numbers, mark my words.

Floody

Tabata recently commented on the budget and said that even including all the shit they wrote off when Versus was canned, the entire 10 year cycle for the project isn't remotely close to the numbers thrown around for GTAV and Destiny. So it's probably closer to 100 million than "a few hundred" million.

That's surprising, I'm guessing they had a large period where the game was basically cancelled, and where able to reuse a lot of stuff. A 100m for a 10 year AAA projects seems kinda "low", especially one on this scale. Though saying that, it doesn't include marketing, so not that crazy I guess, that's probably 50m-100m on top.

Instro

It's not impossible over the course of a couple years. It's hard to tell what they mean, like instant success vs long tail, but it's fair to aim for the upper end of the RPG genre with the right kind of marketing campaign. A FF7R demo included would also be a good idea.

The Witcher 3 is overrated trash though. Notice how nobody talks about it anymore now that the hype is gone? Just like what happened with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Bioshock Infinite kii. XV already has a lot more hype than W3 ever had, and we're still half a year away.

I mean I hope this is a joke because the amount of stuff wrong with this post is astronomical

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This reminds me of the Tomb Raider 2013 expectations. However, that game has now sold over 8.5 million copies.

I definitely think FFXV can pull 10M+ off, and I hope it can. This game is being promoted like an event.

SkylineRKR

I feel this game is off putting to many players that aren't really into JRPG, it has the typical Japanese style going against it which worked during the PS2 era but not anymore. If the reviews aren't going to be stellar either, and I doubt we're looking at a 90% game here, then I don't see this thing hit 10 million which is pretty much GTA and CoD territory and FF just isn't going to reach those numbers in this age.

Whompa02

I'm expecting a Metacritic average in the 77-83 range, with a lot of people making positive statements about the direction of the series, but having a laundry list of complaints and flaws.

I doubt the average would go that low tbh. The game is still in active development.

10 million copies sold though seems like a stretch...even though they definitely sold over 60k last night...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well Tabata didn't say 10 millions to break even btw. He said 10 millions to be considered a success. And when you're trying to sell a big AAA RPG I guess that's the minimum expected for today standards. I'm pretty sure they'll break even with way less than that, and over 2 years with budget releases, STEAM and Digital might very well reach 8-10 millions copies sold IF the game is indeed decent or very good.

Squire

Banned
I won't disagree, the tone was slightly desperate. However, winning back a western audience of "everyday gamers" is something the Final Fantasy series (and Japanese developers in general) desperately need to do.

JRPGs as a genre have been drifting further and further into niche territory, to the point that I even feel alienated by many of them for their tropy-ness... and I'm an open minded guy. I actively go looking for unusual games! So if people like me are starting to feel pushed away by a lot of these games, you can imagine that they're not even a blip on the radar of most regular gamers.

So yeah, regardless of the sales goals, this is something that I think is pretty important and I'm not going to fault them for pursuing it. It seems like this whole thing could work. They have a hell of an ad campaign and the story seems more-or-less... culturally universal (hope that makes sense). It's a tale of friends, adventure, fantasy, reclaiming a homeland. If the game is good, I don't see it being anything that needs a disclaimer, like many JRPGs do.

Oh I'm not faulting them at all! I hope it works out for them. There's definitely a feeling of it being too western focused out there though. But that's just what you have to concede to hit anywhere near the numbers they want.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So in the event this isn't a joke post, you're okay with my writing down your sales expectations for Final Fantasy XV as 20 million copies?

CHC

Literally none of this is true. I was going to type a longer response but really, I don't even know where to get a foothold on this.

Linkyn

This reminds me of the Tomb Raider 2013 expectations. However, that game has now sold over 8.5 million copies.

I definitely think FF can pull this off, and I hope it can.

Doesn't that include the numbers of the Remaster? I'm not sure whether we're expecting there to be one of those for FF XV.

Mifec

cdMyRut.jpg

tilomite!

I don't think 10 million is in the cards, but the console matket is growing and there are less games being released, maybe it will overperform.

It can do it if it gets tons of re-releases, sales, and ports.

What makes you think this? Out of the entire franchise, looking at all the titles that came out back when this was a wildly successful brand instead of an aging one that's seen a bit of a decline, the only one that's cleared this value is FF7. (It's possible that FFX has now if we count in the remaster, but a. that sort of remaster wouldn't count in SE's calculation here anyway and b. that's speculative since public numbers available still add up to less than 10m.)

Zukkoyaki

Square really needs to learn to set realistic expectations. But I kinda can't fault them for wanting so much out of the supposed epic return to form by their flagship franchise that they've been working on for 10+ years.

Asd202

image.php

Rektash

Highly unlikely target as they'd need a perfect storm to hit those numbers.

Perfect storm as in:

1. Brilliant, insanely big budget marketing campaign
2. Great to fantastic metacritic score
3. Widespread positive word of mouth

rhandino

Banned
XS4vt7A.gif

No, that is not going to happen when the aesthetic alone is incredible out of touch and divisive among long time fans.

Well Tabata didn't say 10 millions to break even btw. He said 10 millions to be considered a success. And when you're trying to sell a big AAA RPG I guess that's the minimum expected for today standards. I'm pretty sure they'll break even with way less than that, and over 2 years with budget releases, STEAM and Digital might very well reach 8-10 millions copies sold IF the game is indeed decent or very good.
What is the point to invest such an obscene amount of money to just break even?

Never happen with these characters. Noctis and the whole J Pop boyband is cringe worthy.
As a grown ass man, Id be embarrassed to be caught playing this game. I grew up playing Final Fantasy. Starting with FF1 on the Nes. It used to be about warriors and knights in armor with shields and swords. Not this bullshit skinny kid boyband crap.
After playing the demo FF is still dead to me

It will sell good in Japan though.

ugh i cant stand any degree of flamboyancy in my manly ass games. I wish things would go back to the way they were in the old Final Fantasy games, when it was about killing shit with swords and being manly! I mean check this shit out

latest

so fucking manly

erawsd

Seems like a crazy high projection, especially considering the shape the Japanese console market is in... maybe this will be the game that convinces them to buy PS4s though.

Squire

Banned
That's surprising, I'm guessing they had a large period where the game was basically cancelled, and where able to reuse a lot of stuff. A 100m for a 10 year AAA projects seems kinda "low", especially one on this scale. Though saying that, it doesn't include marketing, so not that crazy I guess, that's probably 50m-100m on top.

Few people stop to consider there was probably a long period of time where they weren't working on this at all, let alone being in constant dev for a decade. I never got the impression it had much more staff than the core members that would be credited in trailers.

I definitely think FFXV can pull 10M+ off, and I hope it can. This game is being promoted like an event.

You're talking about a looooot of $5 Steam sales after that first 5m though, I think. Definitely not what they want here.

True Fire

Doesn't that include the numbers of the Remaster? I'm not sure whether we're expecting there to be one of those for FF XV.

Final Fantasy XV will be ported to refrigerators once they're powerful enough to run it. I fully expect Square Enix to milk XV in ways that would even make ATLUS uncomfortable.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
A great way to recoup their decade long investment would be to make a tangentially related, elaborate CGI film.

It would draw on all of their greatest strengths.

-spin offs
-story telling
-announcements
-movies

Kain

I won't disagree, the tone was slightly desperate. However, winning back a western audience of "everyday gamers" is something the Final Fantasy series (and Japanese developers in general) desperately need to do.

Tabata must feel like the guy who could kill the FF brand and is scared as hell

random25

Gotta make a great first impression first, then maybe word of mouth may help it get there.

As of now, I doubt it. 8 million tops is what I see it making at best. Maybe I'll be wrong though.

Chase17

Maybe this total will count the mobile game downloads.

I know it isn't, but FFXV sales plus the mobile game downloads could definitely hit 10 million.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It'll sell as much through various Steam promotions if indeed launched on the PC platform.

Final Fantasy usually sells a third of its life-time sales in Japan if one looks at previous data - that won't occur in this current landscape; it'll have to make up for it Overseas just like Pokémon has.

If there is no PC release, a healthy 7-8 million is where I see it stand.

Gurnlei

You're talking about a looooot of $5 Steam sales after that first 5m though, I think. Definitely not what they want here.

Don't you know they make more off of a $5 Steam code than a $60 console game?
/s

I really don't think they'll make it until a few years after launch, including PC and/or PS4K with some sales. As long as they don't have a time frame for that 10mil they'll be fine.

komorebi

Sadly, it doesn't appear that they can afford rough spots...

So. When this game inevitably fails to reach these lofty expectations, what happens to SE?

Easy, they'll continue to develop FF16 as another bloated, bigger, louder, faster, flashier, more expensive production that takes years and years to make, then glue it all together and hope no one notices how hollow it is underneath all those graphix. I don't think Square has stopped this philosophy since FF7 enabled them to buy a bigger office. At least not with their star franchise. Sometimes its worked, other times its been a failure, but overall they have never "gone back to basics" or tried to rediscover or recapture what's made FF such a success in the first place, and why we (likely all old-school 90s gamers) loved it and continue to be interested on name alone. They keep upping the ante, which is the philosophy of all mainstream AAA creations because the public can't imagine anything else. That bubble will eventually burst, but not before its milked dry.

I say this while being cautiously optimistic for FF15.

I don't think 10 million is in the cards, but the console matket is growing and there are less games being released, maybe it will overperform.

This is true too. AAA, well received games tend to do way better now than they used to in the PS2-early PS3 days. So there's that.

Top Bottom