• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Where do you foresee this game selling those numbers on those platforms?

Like, give me a regional breakdown here.

He got 3 million Xbone's copies sold, it's already a no no lol

Type-O sold like shit on Xbone, FFXIII & XIII-2 sold like shit on 360.

Ain't happening.

But I think you already knew that lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well no wonder the UCE is exclusive to the SE store. I imagine they want all the 270$ to themselves.

Squire

Banned
They made a movie and an anime before the game even came out. They're definitely still trying to brute-force popularity, but in this case it might actually work because the game looks like it's going to be good fundamentally, unlike XIII.

On the otherhand, a Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice scenario might happen where, after all of the hype, the game gets panned critically and although the game makes a lot of money based on early hype, the hype dies instantly.

That's also possible, yeah. I think the demo impressions could be a pretty bad omen of things to come. I'd actually say their biggest problem is that the game does look to be better than FFXIII at a fundamental level, but it isn't in practice so far. That combat is in almost dire straights.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
He got 3 million Xbone's copies sold, it's already a no no lol

Type-O sold like shit on Xbone, FFXIII & XIII-2 sold like shit on 360.

Ain't happening.

But I think you already knew that lol

Final Fantasy VII also did 4 million copies in Japan, which is a big part of how it got to where it is, whereas it's incredibly difficult to imagine a situation where this doesn't do 1 to 1.5 million tops in the region instead.

And that's before we even consider all the really cheap digital copies of FF7 sold over the years that are padding that 11 million. You've got 1 million of those on Steam alone, and I wouldn't be surprised if you've got a million or so more on things like PS3 and PS4.

CHC

Concerns over piracy (and diminished sales) may be a reason why a PC version is not been announced, but at the same time needing more sales is the reason why we can be almost certain it will be released on PC eventually.. that double dip.

I'm not gonna lie the "wait for double dip" is a bet that pays off, if your game is good.

It worked on me for Dark Souls I & II, and almost worked for GTA V (never had time to play it on PS3 / 360. You can bet that if there is a sizeable enough wait for a PC version, people like me will get it on console in the meantime, then again later on Steam.

Dirty trick, but if the game is good enough, it works.

(Of course, if the game sucks, then I won't buy it on either and they will have wasted tons of money porting it)

Many people seem to think these are their actual expectations but I doubt that. And that number probably was not expected from the start.

This is just what they need to cover the costs.

Luigiv

With all the free promotional shit they just announced on top of just how expensive the game itself surely was to develop, I'm not surprised. Still absolutely ludicrous though. There's no way SE is coming out on top here.

Even if they lose some money, I think its worth it to raise the reputation of Final Fantasy and get people excited about the franchise again. Despite the success of ARR, people still think about XIII when FF comes up.

Kamaji

Isn't FF XIII at >7m? I mean its still unfeasible for XV to reach 10m but with ambitious marketing, good reviews and decent word of mouth at least the same ought to be reachable?

Strootman

giphy.gif

Boke1879

Over the course of the life span of the game with various price drops and eventual of release etc. it's possible. They are going to be marketing the shit out of this game. We'll see

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Final Fantasy VII also did 4 million copies in Japan, which is a big part of how it got to where it is, whereas it's incredibly difficult to imagine a situation where this doesn't do 1 to 1.5 million tops in the region instead.

And that's before we even consider all the digital copies of FF7 sold over the years that are padding that 11 million.

I know, Japan usually represents a third of mainline Final Fantasy lifetime sales - it won't happen in this current environment, but the overseas segment has grown exponentially since so it may be able to recoup those lost sales there.

Pokémon had the same problem with X & Y - sold 1 million less in Japan than Black and White but is almost neck to neck sales wise quarter to quarter ww. Maybe the comparison is not apt though since Pokémon titles have legs comparatively to other JRPG's.

I believe FFXV could reach 10 million ww, but not without a PC version. 6-7 million (shipped) is where I see FFXV falling by March 2017 (Japan would stand between 1.2-1.5M)

Garlador

A decade of investment needs a lot of sales to even break even.

I just don't know. The console market is healthy enough here, but Japan isn't as strong as it used to be, while Final Fantasy as a brand was hurt badly over the last console generation, and there is still a lot of skepticism about the final product.

If the game is universally praised, and becomes THE game to generation PS4 (or *snicker* Xbox One) adoption in Japan, I can see it happening.

But they're putting a lot of eggs in one basket here...

rhandino

Banned
That's what I'm saying, I'm sure the "break-even" point is way less than 10 millions. 10 mil is the mark to be "popular" in the current gen so is only normal for this company to claim they want to sell as much. But it's all PR-talk at this point imho. They'll be fine with 6-7 ml copies sold and everything beyond that will make them super positive.
I do love you optimism but this is the same company that rebooted Tomb Raider in a way that got the series back in the spotlight with great reception and sales but even then the game was deemed as not performing well AND even after getting more sales after that they made the game an Xbox One exclusive because...

I know 10 million must not be the end all for them but I can see them reconsidering their approach about how to make this games in the future
and secretly I hope so =P

Building the brand long term. FF has lost a lot of cachet since Xii.
I always thought that the brand REALLY lost it after XIII released T_T (and I love XIII) but for some reason I think that a game in the vein and tone of FF XII would be more successful for them in the current market (I will always say that FFXII was way ahead of it's time)

I seriously can't get over this post. This post is out of touch. This post is out of this fucking world, man.
1) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the aesthetic of the game from the way Noctis looks, the feel of the world and creatures, etc... but I also see what is really moving coins in the market and this game is like is trying to be like them but so far still seems to not really grasp what make other games as The Witcher, TES and Bioware games so popular in recent years.

It's definitely possible. It's important to note that they're giving lifetime sales expectations, which is factoring in 25-50% off sales that will happen over the months/years after the game's been released. I can totally see them coming close to that number. They're giving it such a huge push what with getting Aaron Paul, Lena Heady, and Sean Bean to star in the CGI movie, and the apparent resurgence in "mainstream" popularity of anime thanks to Netflix/Crunchyroll/Hulu (I'm just making a guess due to the prominent placement anime gets on those sites, and the popularity of anime conventions, not completely sure if a "resurgence" is true). This game is anime as fuck, but the FF franchise also crosses over into the mainstream the way few other anime-as-fuck franchises are able to (I think pretty much just DBZ and Sailor Moon do it to the same degree).

I can totally see the potential for the game to sell 10-12 million over a few years. With the huge crossmedia marketing push, the thirst for a good post-FF12 console FF game, it being pretty much the first mainline giant JRPG franchise on next gen aside from Zestiria (which is much more niche than FF), I think it has a decent chance of hitting their goal. Especially if its reviews settle somewhere between Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Easy 10 million sold:

- PS4 version --- 5 million
- Xbone version --- 3 million
- PC release --- 1 million
- later on, a port to NX. *Nintendo fans are starved for a real Final Fantasy --- 1 to 3 million

Do you see how my educated guess totals up to the # S-E needs? The brand awareness for Final Fantasy has grown since VII released, so it's not crazy to think XV can beat it.

Agree that PC has a ceiling of about 1-1.2 million based on sales of FF13/other JRPGs on Steam. Xbone I think will sell closer to 1.5 million, so they'll need to get close to 8 million on PS4. I'm expecting lots of bundling, probably some sort of patch/promotion bundle with the PS4K (maybe retrofit the advanced graphics options from the PC version to the PS4K version?), etc. Again, over a few years, I can totally see it being possible, but the game will need to have a really great debut and really long legs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know, Japan usually represents a third of mainline Final Fantasy lifetime sales - it won't happen in this current environment, but the overseas segment has grown exponentially since so it may be able to recoup those lost sales there.

Pokémon had the same problem with X & Y - sold 1 million less in Japan than Black and White but is almost neck to neck sales wise quarter to quarter ww. Maybe the comparison is not apt though since Pokémon titles have legs comparatively to other JRPG's.

I believe FFXV could reach 10 million ww, but not without a PC version. 6-7 million (shipped) is where I see FFXV falling by March 2017 (Japan would stand between 1.2-1.5M)
Right, for the correct game, we can get over 20 million copies for open world action RPGs with basically 100% of the sales coming from the West.

It's just that this doesn't strike me as one of those games for a myriad of reasons.

Where do you foresee this game selling those numbers on those platforms?

Like, give me a regional breakdown here.

I think 5 million for the PS4 version really isn't that crazy. That said I expect Xbone to do 1 million AT MOST. The split for that is going to be insane.

I think saying as high as 7 million if the game is quality isn't crazy as I do think its going to do very well on PS4. But yeah 10 seems like a long shot

Edit - Woops that was supposed to say PS4 not PC lol

Last year I ended up taking about FF with the guy next to me on a plane. He and all his friends were basically lapsed fans with no interest in anything in the series except the 7 remake, which managed to reignite their hype.

SE would need to somehow get all those people to buy into 15.

Easy 10 million sold:

- PS4 version --- 5 million
- Xbone version --- 3 million
- PC release --- 1 million
- later on, a port to NX. *Nintendo fans are starved for a real Final Fantasy --- 1 to 3 million

Do you see how my educated guess totals up to the # S-E needs? The brand awareness for Final Fantasy has grown since VII released, so it's not crazy to think XV can beat it.

3 million XB1 seems high as it is, forget everything else you said.

maybe don't hold extravagant marketing ceremonies for release dates
create movie/anime tie-ins
and oh idk keep a game in development for so damn long

Probably would help so that you don't need such lofty sales goals.

Arkeband

Banned
I actually wonder if adding more language support (like the BR Portuguese) will give them better penetration into those markets. Do they usually contribute big sales numbers?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
If they make a critically acclaimed game and advertise it well it is still possible. I mean when Witcher 3 managed to sell so well then surely a well made Final Fantasy game can sell 10 million put together in multiple platforms.

Sydle

If it's great and on all platforms (Xbox, Playstation, NX, PC) then I don't think 10 million is that much a stretch.

Yawnier

Banned
I wonder if Square is gonna go batshit with the commercials and advertising of this game in North America come late August/early September to try and get word of this game to the mass market. I would think they are but idk?

I just think back on how many commercials games like Destiny, GTA V, and others got up to and slightly after their release but then again they probably had gigantic marketing budgets as well.

AdanVC

If they want to achieve those numbers, then a PC AND a NX versions should release in the future. Otherwise I see it very difficult.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im willing to guess the game itself isnt all that expensive, but since they added a mini anime series and a full CGi trailer to the marketing budget, they ended up with this. if I had to guess they expecting all 3 of these things to sell to recoup costs and not just the game itself.

kromeo

I wonder if Square is gonna go batshit with the commercials and advertising of this game in North America come late August/early September to try and get word of this game to the mass market. I would think they are but idk?

I just think back on how many commercials games like Destiny, GTA V, and others got up to and slightly after their release but then again they probably had gigantic marketing budgets as well.

I remember the XIII commercial with the Leona Lewis song being on all the time, I'm guessing we'll see even more for this

Concerns over piracy (and diminished sales) may be a reason why a PC version is not been announced, but at the same time needing more sales is the reason why we can be almost certain it will be released on PC eventually.. that double dip.

Piracy for Rise of the Tomb Raider is equal to 0, because of Denuvo.

Top Bottom