• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Slowdive

Banned
I wonder if Square is gonna go batshit with the commercials and advertising of this game in North America come late August/early September to try and get word of this game to the mass market. I would think they are but idk?

I just think back on how many commercials games like Destiny, GTA V, and others got up to and slightly after their release but then again they probably had gigantic marketing budgets as well.

Probably, they had a massive ad up at Waterloo Station just for the event.

Kadayi

Banned
8ElAST8.gif

With the amount of marketing and likely budget, 10 mil sounds right, but after demo feedback and divisiveness it seems like that'll be a hard goal to reach.

I hope they realize that.

if im not mistaken, FFXIII never hit 10 million so good luck with FFXV

wikipedia said:
As of January 2013, the game has sold over 6.6 million copies worldwide.[2] The Windows PC version has sold over 500,000 copies worldwide according to SteamSpy putting it at over 7.1 million copies sold worldwide.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Should have made more $270 Collectors Editions to help.

In all seriousness that is an insane target.

zer0das

Banned
Nintendo fans starved for Final Fantasy... right. This isn't the the early 2000s. Also completely ignoring the fact most of the remakes of the early ones were on GBA/DS which are probably the only ones they care about at this point, maybe FFVII. I feel like some people just don't recognize the creeping apathy people have about the series over time.

Fishlake

I wonder if Square is gonna go batshit with the commercials and advertising of this game in North America come late August/early September to try and get word of this game to the mass market. I would think they are but idk?

I just think back on how many commercials games like Destiny, GTA V, and others got up to and slightly after their release but then again they probably had gigantic marketing budgets as well.

I expect this to happen. It will also need to have good word of mouth so that its sales don't tank despite a larger marketing budget. There is so much that can go wrong during this.

Davey Cakes

I wish them the best of luck.

I also hope the fans get a great game, rather than a repeat of FFXIII, which seemed pretty divisive.

With the amount of marketing and likely budget, 10 mil sounds right, but after demo feedback and divisiveness it seems like that'll be a hard goal to reach.

I hope they realize that.

The divisiveness is really mainly only on Gaf though. Most other places have been a whole lot more positive for the demo.

Also if the game is actually good that is all that really matters, this demo will be forgotten about in 6 months.

cd1cwe0cia0s3tbnxp36.jpg

I actually bought 2 ( one of each special edition from Square store ) and I might buy a normal edition from a store that ships games early.

Portugeezer

1 million copies for each year in development lol.

10 million over 5 years maybe.

I guess if they sell FF15 on PS4/XB1, then PC, then PS4K and XB1.5.

Instro

Right, for the correct game, we can get over 20 million copies for open world action RPGs with basically 100% of the sales coming from the West.

It's just that this doesn't strike me as one of those games for a myriad of reasons.

I would say it mostly comes down to how the game is marketed in the US. They would need something of similar quality and appeal as Fallout 4's The Wanderer commercials.

Whether they can pull that off is another issue though of course.

if im not mistaken, FFXIII enever hit 10 million so good luck with FFXV

13 was pretty vocally rejected as trash by fans of the series (I totally thought it was an OK game). Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that it did so well. Counting the entire 13 franchise, I wonder what the total sales were? 15m?

The divisiveness is really mainly only on Gaf though. Most other places have been a whole lot more positive for the demo.

Also if the game is actually good that is all that really matters, this demo will be forgotten about in 6 months.
Oh good. I wasn't aware. I hope their marketing (which is really strong so far) and good word of mouth helps them reach their goal.

Toth

Reviews and impressions didn't stop FFXIII

They were rather positive at the start. The game reviewed well.

13 was pretty vocally rejected as trash by fans of the series (I totally thought it was an OK game). Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that it did so well. Counting the entire 13 franchise, I wonder what the total sales were? 15m?

Yeah, I think that's around where it ended up. Maybe 12million total. Divisive as it was, 13 was always a critical success.

Good luck with that. I'm not saying it's impossible per se, but those are FFVII numbers and we're not in the 90s/00s anymore.

I'd say 5-6 million is more realistic.

Dimmle

All I could think of during the event last night was the S-E executive mopping nervous sweat from his brow with every announcement.

Jakoo

From what I've seen, I really would like this game to exceed to the extent SE is hoping. I would love to see a return to form for big-budget JRPG's and it would only be fitting for SE to lead the charge.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Right, for the correct game, we can get over 20 million copies for open world action RPGs with basically 100% of the sales coming from the West.

It's just that this doesn't strike me as one of those games for a myriad of reasons.

True. I'm just hoping the game achieves longevity and doesn't falter after a record breaking week (initial rush of 1st week purchases).

AmuroChan

What is the point to invest such an obscene amount of money to just break even?

My guess is that if they just canceled the project the FF brand would be severely damaged. The brand was already in decline due to the reception of FFXIII. They had to do something to bring the core FF fans back in addition to making new FF fans. I feel like they're going all out with FFXV because they recognize that this could be a pivotal turning point for the FF brand. If FFXV is a big hit, it could spring new life into a franchise that's been stagnant for the past decade.

The Witcher 3 is overrated trash though. Notice how nobody talks about it anymore now that the hype is gone? Just like what happened with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Bioshock Infinite kii. XV already has a lot more hype than W3 ever had, and we're still half a year away.

XV will undoubtedly double W3's numbers, mark my words.

I fucking love this website.

f3jyjEN.png

iNPbNGt.png

Z4GZPBD.png

I think FFXV is gonna be a hell of a game, and I hope it does well for Square, but there is some high-octane stupidity in your post.

i know this isn't like the best metric but it's got an 83 on metacritic. It was hardly a critical bomb, really.

do we anticipate this game doing better than an 83 then?

DeathPeak

That's 1 mil for every year this thing was in development. So, it's 10 to succeed but how much to just make its money back?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wait, I just read that Knightglaive movie is incredibly costly. WHY on EARTH are they making an expensive film to tie into a game with extremely hard to reach sales expectations? Maybe see if the game succeeds first, like they need it to? Classic Square-Enix.

A Spirits Within sized mess.
lsZC4ok.gif
lsZC4ok.gif
lsZC4ok.gif

Where do you foresee this game selling those numbers on those platforms?

Like, give me a regional breakdown here.

PS4: Split equally between North America, Europe and Japan
Xbone: Pretty much entirely North America, maybe a few hundred thou in Europe
PC: 70% North America, 30% Europe? Who knows
NX: Split equally between North America, Europe and Japan

It's just fun guessing, like movie Box Office numbers. I do think it's achievable across all 4 platforms.

Brand awareness has grown? The sales decline of the series would say otherwise. When 7 came out, Final Fantasy was a cross-over hit and was the series that everyone talked about. In the 20 years since, the game/series has gotten more and more niche.

Hell its largest source of fans are in Japan and they aren't even buying consoles there anymore.

3 million XB1 seems high as it is, forget everything else you said.

Well, I don't pay attention to Microsoft so I didn't realize they were lagging that far behind Sony. Change my prediction to 300,000 then on the Bone and they can still reach their goal. I never said it would be easy though.

I think the brand awareness IS stronger now, it's just that they spread themselves too thin with too many terrible spinoffs and XIII didn't turn out how anybody wanted it to, plus most people didn't appreciate Lightning being shoved down their throats for 3 consecutive games (I like her, but I know most don't). People grew tired but are ready for something fresh and new. XV is it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would say it mostly comes down to how the game is marketed in the US. They would need something of similar quality and appeal as Fallout 4's The Wanderer commercials.

Whether they can pull that off is another issue though of course.
Bethesda's games gained traction over seven iterations overwhelmingly on the strength of their incredible legs (even look at Skyrim, a 7 million launch shipment to a 20+ million LTD) to the point that so many people were sold on their brand of game design that Fallout 4 could achieve the debut it did.

That was not a success driven by commercials, but the continued strength of the products themselves.

The Witcher 3 is overrated trash though. Notice how nobody talks about it anymore now that the hype is gone? Just like what happened with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Bioshock Infinite kii. XV already has a lot more hype than W3 ever had, and we're still half a year away.

XV will undoubtedly double W3's numbers, mark my words.

You're trolling or just being ridiculous. People still talk about The Witcher 3, and a lot of people are highly anticipating it's next expansion more than some full releases this year.

For Final Fantasy XV to double The Witcher 3's sales, it'll have to ship 20m. You're more delusional than Square Enix.

GunBR

Yeah, no way
VII sold what, 3 mi in Japan alone?
With the current market this one will barely sell over 1 mi there.

Maybe 6-7mi worldwide, but to me looks hard sell more than 5 million

There's no way we aren't getting Final Fantasy XV-2 with reused assets. If they need 10 mill in order to be profitable they're gonna have to milk those assets for what they're worth.

Tetranet

I guess that also explains the song they chose. They think pandering of this sort will get them more sales. Like others have said, good luck with that.

I see it easily doing 5 million in launch month.
2 million in Japan/Asia
1.5 million in North America
1.5 million in EU/ROTW

Now the March to 10 million depends on wom and PC port-rereleases.

There's no way we aren't getting Final Fantasy XV-2 with reused assets. If they need 10 mill in order to be profitable they're gonna have to milk those assets for what they're worth.

and FFVX-3.

They have put a decade of various levels of pre-production into this thing, you'd be crazy to think they wouldn't try to get as much as they can out of this.

Brocken

Banned
Nintendo fans starved for Final Fantasy... right. This isn't the the early 2000s. Also completely ignoring the fact most of the remakes of the early ones were on GBA/DS which are probably the only ones they care about at this point, maybe FFVII. I feel like some people just don't recognize the creeping apathy people have about the series over time.

They don't see an official chapter since 1994 and jrpg's failed many times on Nintendo home console after Snes, so i don't think that a later port on NX could change anything..

z3phon

didn't the rumours from Osiris say, that gamse, that are already released won't look better on PS4K, unless the developers make an Upgrade/Patch??

I could imagine Square Enix releasing an ultimate Edition with all DLC, that also runs better on the Ps4k
Sorry I wasn't clear enough I don't mean that current ps4 games will look better on ps4.5 but I keep seeing several people posting sales speculation for ps4 and ps4.5 separately here implying you will need to buy games separately for ps4.5
I feel that future ps4 games will run on both ps4 and 4.5 and the graphics will scale automatically based on which hardware it's running on.

Top Bottom