• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

They would be crazy not to drop it but at the same time, does that show consumers that they are letting go of the older system? There would have to be a good enough gap between the two to justify people jumping ship. People expect there to be a value to upgrading earlier than normal. Is the PS4K really that much of a jump for many? I guess this depends on how Sony market it.

Once they show consumers that there upcoming games going to work find on PS4 after PS4K comes out i don't think they have to worry .
If price is the biggest factor for a consumer PS4K won't effect them in any way .
Marketing will play a key part but i don't think it going to be as hard as some people think .
Since consumers know there are tiers for everything else in the world but they can still get use out of older tech .

People never learn.

As soon as more powerful hardware is out devs start to target that hardware and push bells and whistles hard, and put frame rate lowest on their priority list.

PS4 games will end up being 900/30 with underwhelming visuals, and PS4K games 1080/30 with better graphics. Sure, at first we'll get games that look no different but with better AA and frame rate on PS4K, but eventually PS4 versions of games will start to take a nose dive because there won't be any way to reproduce what the PS4K is doing without (as the OP states) severely sacrificing performance and visuals.

Edit: in lay man's terms, it will go something like this:

PS4: good
PS4K: great
to
PS4: acceptable
PS4K: good

Devs will do that either way new hardware or not just look at last gen .
Plus more powerful hardware is already out it's call PC and they doing that already .
Some people think that because of PS4K there PS4 version going to be even worst .
But i don't see it that way since devs will do that either way .
Also since PS4 using PC part there no hidden juice these devs going find after 3 to 4 years that would really matter .

Daft Punk

Banned
Completely out of control? Dude, you know the vast, vast, VAST majority of gamers don't visit GAF, right? We account for like 0.00001% of the gaming community worldwide. I don't see people throwing PS4s in trash cans and burning controllers en masse. A few pages back, people were actually proclaiming the death of consoles over this. The death of consoles! Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Here's what's going to happen: PS4 will sell great all year, because the majority of people don't know/wouldn't care if they did, and at some point PS4k'll be announced. The PS4 will see a steep price cut. It will continue to sell great, because the vast majority of the gaming community, as all consumers do, care far more about affordable prices than sweet-ass graffix. If they didn't, we'd all be playing on $3,000 gaming rigs. When PS4k hits, as long as the price is under 400 it, too, will sell like mad, because the rest of the community DOES care about sweet-ass graffix, and I'm betting almost every swingin' dick here who says "I'm done with consoles" will be there day one. How many times to consoles have to die before you realize it Will. Not. Happen?

Really. This thread is the very definition of "hyperbole".

Preach.

This was going to happen at some point, and it has nothing to do with PS4K. It has to do with PC hardware.

It has never had to do with PC hardware; it's had to do with developers trying to push things as far as they can and consumer expectations of things getting visually better. PC hardware is not a part of this equation. PC hardware has always been held back by consoles, not the other way around where consoles were pushed because of PC hardware.

Papacheeks

Banned
Isn't Xbox1 the base now? that wont change.

I guess? We don't know what they are planning or if they even will have something for the end of the year refresh wise?

That's my whole point. People are carrying on with just the leak information and are as clueless as the rest of us in how this will play out. You can't predict what you don't know. You don't know how well this will be, how many developers will make use of it, how many titles in the future may or maynot be PS4K only.

And dismissing people concern's who bring up examples of other gaming products that have tried something similar in the past should not be dismissed. And that's what's happening in the conversation.

At least in the xbox thread about this similar discussion, we had good examples from developers on 32bit apps for UWP, and what not.

In here it's all 100% opinion. Unless a developer who has the PS4K kit, and has been using it comes in, and starts clearing things up in how work flow is between base PS4 and newer model, it all remains conjecture at this point.

And people against it who are putting their 2 cents in, should not be belittled because it doesn't go with the majority who are all for it.

The difference between the PS4k and the PS4 is 2.5 times the difference between the PS4 and the XBO. If PS4 1080p 30 games run 900p 30 with drops in the XBO. Imagine how a 1080p 30 PS4k game will run on the PS4.

The key is what the developers choose as a target. If they target og PS4, PS4k games will look a little prettier with enhanced resolution and/or frame rate. No problem with that. But if they target PS4k, og PS4 version is going to run like shit.
Sure, it will run at 720p-900p will look around 80% same with some dips. I doubt a normal aaa game will be 4k because for that you need to increase the og ps4 gpu by a factor of 4X-5 but this is just a 2X increase. It will have a 4k upscaler for people with 4k tvs, but thats just not the same.

Games have run like shit at the end of every gen as devs add more effects. What's different now?

That's my point. People seem to believe that PS4 games will keep looking like UC4 and PS4K will look even better, but every gen shows us that old gen takes a hit in visuals and performance because the games are designed around the new hardware instead of focused and optimized for the old.

I think Sony is gonna either double up on the GPU (add another Radeon 7850-Class GPU to work in Crossfire with the Radeon 7850-Class GPU in the APU) or a Polaris class Chip with R9-290/GTX970 level performance.

It's either between Polaris 11 or downclocked Tonga IMO. Tonga(285/380/380x) is the newer architecture with GCN 1.2, power efficiency, and delta compression and it's been out for a while so AMD can offer it with improved yields compared to the newer Polaris. I do wonder what they will choose.

As for the CPU part they will probably go mobile again with either beefing up the Jaguar cores or going for 8 cores of Puma, the successor. I doubt they'll go for Zen for the same reason as Polaris. Especially if this has been planned since I'm guessing around 2014 after the PS4 just launched.

And for the memory they can probably get away with 8GB of GDDR5x

Muzicfreq

Banned
It has never had to do with PC hardware; it's had to do with developers trying to push things as far as they can and consumer expectations of things getting visually better. PC hardware is not a part of this equation. PC hardware has always been held back by consoles, not the other way around where consoles were pushed because of PC hardware.

PC ha.... WHAT? Since when has the far more powerful hardware like a 980ti been held back by consoles?!

GlamFM

Banned
That's my point. People seem to believe that PS4 games will keep looking like UC4 and PS4K will look even better, but every gen shows us that old gen takes a hit in visuals and performance because the games are designed around the new hardware instead of focused and optimized for the old.

There is no precedent for for what´s happening right now. + This is not a new generation.

The PS4 becomes a platform.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Interesting... I thought it was because developers find new ways to squeeze out that much more, with taking slight hits to performance. ;)

I do not believe this is the case... at all.

The Last of Us had nothing to do with the PS4. Completely different architectures... it had to do with pushing more out of the hardware, with slight hits than can be overlooked due to such achievements and game pacing.

PC ha.... WHAT? Since when has the far more powerful hardware like a 980ti been held back by consoles?!

Since forever? No developer targets a 980ti for their game. They target lower and higher specs give you polish. There's a reason why every time we get a new console generation, PC games suddenly also get a jump in visual fidelity. It's because developers target against consoles and PCs. A high end GPU is never fully exploited because it would be at the expense of alienating a larger user base.

spwolf

People never learn.

As soon as more powerful hardware is out devs start to target that hardware and push bells and whistles hard, and put frame rate lowest on their priority list.

PS4 games will end up being 900/30 with underwhelming visuals, and PS4K games 1080/30 with better graphics. Sure, at first we'll get games that look no different but with better AA and frame rate on PS4K, but eventually PS4 versions of games will start to take a nose dive because there won't be any way to reproduce what the PS4K is doing without (as the OP states) severely sacrificing performance and visuals.

to

I bet there will be some 720p PS4 games that will be 20hz.

poodpick

TLOU was heavily optimized for the PS3 and still ran like shit because the hardware couldn't support the devs vision. Even if the PS4k wasn't a factor games would still run worse as time goes on.

EDIT: Nvm TLOU ran great.

PC hardware was never held back by consoles .
It's was held back by older PC and the consumer base for certain games being else where .
Any pub can go and make a game that take advantage of PC hardware but they won't because they won't make money .

spwolf

Since forever? No developer targets a 980ti for their game. They target lower and higher specs give you polish. There's a reason why every time we get a new console generation, PC games suddenly also get a jump in visual fidelity. It's because developers target against consoles and PCs. A high end GPU is never fully exploited because it would be at the expense of alienating a larger user base.

great, I guess thats the reason you should get PS4k and not 980 Ti

People never learn.

to

I imagine they are going to be significantly downgraded from the PS4K version in the way current PS4 / Xbox One games are downgraded from their PC counterparts. Durante already pointed out that a 2x increase would put the card roughly on par with a 280x, so there wouldn't be much more graphical power to do anything else.

Muzicfreq

Banned

No developer targets super high end due to the fact that a very small percentile actually even own those....
They want their games to sell yaknow

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yeah, I never get that argument.

The mass majority not having enthusiast set ups on the PC hold it back graphically more than the consoles, by far.

No developer targets super high end due to the fact that a very small percentile actually even own those....

Exactly.

Fat Cry was a thing, and something that was not repeated since. Devs have the mod community to pick up the slack for the higher end tech.

PC hardware was never held back by consoles .
It's was held back by older PC and the consumer base for certain games being else where .
Any pub can go and make a game that take advantage of PC hardware but they won't because they won't make money .

This is just not true. Why do you think games like Assassin's Creed Unity got a huge jump in visuals compared to previous versions of Assassin's Creed? It's because suddenly we had a new generation of console hardware. It's not suddenly that everyone bought new GPUs. There were plenty of PCs fully capable of doing Assassin's Creed Unity quality graphics before the PS4 and Xbox One came out, but they didn't. So yes, PC games have always been held back by consoles because developers want to cross platform against all three for the best bang for their buck. Also given the scope of sales on consoles versions of games compared to their PC counterpart, you bet they're going to focus more on the console version.

Yes, and where do games sell the most still? Consoles. So they target that range of specs because they're not going to put out something that they can't put out on the console.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So, anything new?

I dropped a game hint yesterday no one caught on.

If Osiris reads this.

Will the PS4k als introduce a NEW Dualshock 4 generation which all PS4-variants can benefit from? Like longer battery for instance.

No clue there was absolutely no mention of a different controller.

It's not practical for them to do one. They don't have thousands of stores where people could trade in their PS4s.

Gamestop does.

IF there was any type of trade in program it would be from retailers and would only be about $100 or so due to a likely OG PS4 price drop.

I also verified the other information but will not drop it today because of the dates (April 1st) implications.

I imagine they are going to be significantly downgraded from the PS4K version in the way current PS4 / Xbox One games are downgraded from their PC counterparts. Durante already pointed out that a 2x increase would put the card roughly on par with a 280x, so there wouldn't be much more graphical power to do anything else.

Yeah, I mean, this is just all that I've been spitballing around with my ex game dev friend this morning.

And yes, this isn't a new gen, but that's beside the point. New better hardware is being injected into the market and available for devs to take advantage of. That's all that matters.

It won't impact hardware if it price out of there price range .
Comes xmas when PS4 cost $200 and PS4K cost $400 will be good for Sony.
Because there is not a huge over lap for consumer at that price range .

I would bet money that the PS4 will never hit that price. Not with all that hardware and fix costs, they will just discontinue the console at some point.

Muzicfreq

Banned
This is just not true. Why do you think games like Assassin's Creed Unity got a huge jump in visuals compared to previous versions of Assassin's Creed? It's because suddenly we had a new generation of console hardware. It's not suddenly that everyone bought new GPUs. There were plenty of PCs fully capable of doing Assassin's Creed Unity quality graphics before the PS4 and Xbox One came out, but they didn't. So yes, PC games have always been held back by consoles because developers want to cross platform against all three for the best bang for their buck. Also given the scope of sales on consoles versions of games compared to their PC counterpart, you bet they're going to focus more on the console version.

Actually no. At the end of last gen devs started using new tricks and techniques to run games looking better while being able to be ran on lower end.
Primarily it is mostly lighting and material rendering.

Dahaka

Yes, and where do games sell the most still? Consoles. So they target that range of specs because they're not going to put out something that they can't put out on the console.

Holding back is used as a negative term though, against consoles, which is schizoid given the realities.

velociraptor

That's fine because most people can't tell the difference between PS4 and PC games.

I'd honestly be happier with 1080p60

Yes we had a new gen of consoles but it was never about hardware .
It's about consumer base , if Assassin's Creed Unity could have sold 6 million copies on PC without consoles they would done it already .
Look at SC they don't care about consoles because they have other way of getting money .
So i don't see consoles holding back PC games .
Which would have not even been made \ have there budget cut without the console consumer base.
PC gamers should be happy since the get the benefits .

I would bet money that the PS4 will never hit that price. Not with all that hardware and fix costs, they will just discontinue the console at some point.

Yep. They really need to just eventually phase out PS4 and make PS4K the standard unit. Treat it like a slim model. That would require aggressive pricing though, and with the rumored $400-$500 price tag it could be hard for them to pull off.

One thing to remember is consumers are used to their consoles going down in price over a generation. If these hardware refreshes keep the cost relatively flat through the gen we may not see widespread adoption by the masses. (Not that I think PS4 would naturally reach PS2 numbers or anything)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No that's backwards compatibility. PS4K is backwards compatible with PS4, it will play PS4 games.

And that's forward compatibility - PS4 is capable of playing PS4K games at a lower quality because they are based on the same basic AMD architecture.

He thinks that games for PS5 would work on PS4K.

Who is the earthly HECK thinks this is a good idea?!?! JESUS CHRIST! So do some people want the PS4 to also play PS5 games?

Do people realize that this will forever hold back the future consoles from reaching their true capability?

trx64

Neo Member
They would be crazy not to drop it but at the same time, does that show consumers that they are letting go of the older system? There would have to be a good enough gap between the two to justify people jumping ship. People expect there to be a value to upgrading earlier than normal. Is the PS4K really that much of a jump for many? I guess this depends on how Sony market it.

I don't think they will let go the OG model. If they drop it to 200, they will keep working on a slim model and try to get this even lower. I wouldn't make sense to phase it out and replace with a SKU that's more expensive.

They could appease the mass market with a low cost unit while still keeping the enthusiast happy with a more powerful console.

PS3 was a problem in these two fronts. It never became as cheap as previous consoles to appease to the low end market while also becoming underpowered in the final years, a problem for the enthusiasts.

Loudninja

IF there was any type of trade in program it would be from retailers and would only be about $100 or so due to a likely OG PS4 price drop.

I also verified the other information but will not drop it today because of the dates (April 1st) implications.
Does it really matter?

Some people still think this is a April Fools joke anyway.Most know its not though.

GlamFM

Banned

I think it´s pretty safe to say that GAF knows that this is not an April Fools thread.

Drop THE BOMB!

;)

longdi

Banned
So April fool has come and almost gone...and this thread survives still.

Tbh, I'm not sure it is a good thing for Sony to do this. It means in future, more will wait for the 'new' nextgen go bit before buying. As such it will take a longer time to hit critical sales volume and publishers will be more careful to invest big games for a next gen console.

Consoles gamers are not too loyal to keep buying new consoles every 3 years

I have a question that may sound stupid but given how the upgrade is described by OsirisBlack, I think it fair.

Is the the dev kit that is said to be out in the wild already made up of a new APU or two separate chips? I ask because of the maybe/maybe not on the CPU front.

Also, what happens if the devs have the CPU in the dev kit now, but Sony don't upgrade in the end?

Whatever the dev kit out now is likely just an early target spec, it's going to be very generic and general, so no specialized custom final silicon.

Since Sony isn't sure what the final CPU might be, it's likely they gave the devs an idea of lowest possible ballpark of what it could be. Really early dev kits (like Xenon G5 alpha kit) can feature much better CPU's that the devs just end up modifying as closer to the final silicon kits come out.

This isn't going to be a crazy architecture shift, so the whole thing "should" be pretty straight forward to adapt.

Drop it like it's hot. We know it's not an April Fool's. Or maybe PM those of us who know this is neither a joke nor a disaster? :)

wapplew

More like held back by majority low end hardware, PC and console included.
That's the nature of PC hardware, no one going to make games specific for best hardware at the time
On console, we'll get first party exclusive, desgin specificity for that hardware alone, day 1 until next successor arrive.

All that will be gone if console follow the same model.

On Demand

Banned
It's mostly a matter of formatting.

It's one thing to say : "I am concerned that with a higher spec version available the developpers will then target the higher end as baseline, resulting in possible sub par ports on PS4", and then going on to discuss that apprehension with what is currently "known" about the rumor and using common sense.

OR

You can say "What tbe F* Sony you Suck! I bought my PS4 last week and now you release tbe PS5 next week! You M-F *#^^!' !&&#!^, I am burning my PS4 as I type, and will now go play Ouya forever."
(Slightly exagerated)
Which is imo the kind of reaction worthy of scorn and ridicule.

Yes but there are well thought out arguments on why this is a bad idea that get met with the same response. As if it makes any less sense than someone's post who is all for this change.

I guess? We don't know what they are planning or if they even will have something for the end of the year refresh wise?

That's my whole point. People are carrying on with just the leak information and are as clueless as the rest of us in how this will play out. You can't predict what you don't know. You don't know how well this will be, how many developers will make use of it, how many titles in the future may or maynot be PS4K only.

And dismissing people concern's who bring up examples of other gaming products that have tried something similar in the past should not be dismissed. And that's what's happening in the conversation.

At least in the xbox thread about this similar discussion, we had good examples from developers on 32bit apps for UWP, and what not.

In here it's all 100% opinion. Unless a developer who has the PS4K kit, and has been using it comes in, and starts clearing things up in how work flow is between base PS4 and newer model, it all remains conjecture at this point.

And people against it who are putting their 2 cents in, should not be belittled because it doesn't go with the majority who are all for it.

I was hoping to see that sneaker guy, i think that's his name, in these threads. He had a good post for people who think it'll just be copy and paste between platforms.

So what do think going to be it's lowest price ?
Cause going 14nm should allow them to do that .
They already went $300 last year and i can see them doing $200 this year .

Top Bottom