• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalrius Players begin a suicide pilgrimage from Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff

Ryan_

Nostalrius is a vanilla WoW server that is closing down in a couple of days, by demand of Blizzard. It had 150k active members. See other topic

Horde players are now doing a pilgrimage from Orgrimmar tot Thunderbluff to jump to their deaths.

It's funny because I think this is exactly what WoW has been missing for a while now, namely a sense of community and doing shit like this.

Heading out from Orgrimmar
JcRoPzx.jpg

Making their way into the barrens
aeuTu0A.jpg

Crossroads
Z88xuEL.jpg

yetrLvh.jpg

Camp Taurajo
54JjAY0.jpg

Mulgore
xeSLCxP.jpg

9iSrA60.jpg

The end
Z5SUJQR.jpg

FzVyHwo.jpg

uSOOl9D.jpg

0Ok5GUV.jpg

xbVDSOt.jpg

Fularu

Banned
There are lvl1 gnome races yearly in the main game

Also when a guild server transfers you sometimes see them go to the opposing faction capital and get killed there so that their bones stay up for a while

mollipen

Really wish I'd known about this server earlier. I only jumped into WoW a few months before BC, but even doing that, I miss a lot of the things that were lost over time.

eggandI

Banned
When you fuck up your game so badly that a single private server has 150k active users playing an older version of your game

#Blizzard

Just because you don't like the latest patch doesn't justify piracy. Just because McDonalds stops selling the McRib doesn't mean you just bring your own ingredients, go into their kitchen, and make one yourself.

dtm808

Try paying and you won't need to suicide. Not sure why such notoriety is given to these software pirates.

How can you pirate something that is not available for purchase? And Blizzard already said they are not going to make older servers so the only way to play is to "pirate". They need to think like Jagex and give the people what they want.

Just because you don't like the latest patch doesn't justify piracy. Just because McDonalds stops selling the McRib doesn't mean you just bring your own ingredients, go into their kitchen, and make one yourself.
What is going on here?

This leap of logic is pretty ridiculous.

Please tell me you realize how dumb an example this is...

It's more like taking ingredients they used to sell, and making it in my own kitchen.

Or it's just a shitty analogy that doesn't get at the intricacies of digital rights management and video game preservation.

Take your pick.

catmincer

Piracy isn't the right term at all. If they were playing the latest iteration without paying yes. I honestly don't see the problem with it.

Tagyhag

Ah, I didn't know they were using Blizzard's servers.

Fdkn

Actually they are not using their kitchen, instead they're doing McRibs at home themselves.

dtm808

This is no different than playing roms of games that are extremely expensive and/or very hard to get. What are you supposed to do? Sit and twiddle your thumbs? If you give your customers options they wont have to resort to illegally obtaining them.

It's more like stealing the McRibs and cooking them themselves.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Your flailing here and it's so disastrous but I'll bite. Your analogy sucks and barely considers digital rights and archiving content that is no longer accessible to a player. Why is it okay to recreate Snake but vanilla WoW (which is inaccessible to anyone) is off limits? They aren't using Blizzard's official servers, they aren't impacting anyone from playing the current version of the game and they certainly aren't hurting anyone.

I wonder where this goes from here. I was a day 1 person for WoW, have a ton of great memories with it all the way up to BC. My old high school besties probably rolled a toon on that nalst server but I never knew about it until today. People are going to find another way to experience this I'm assuming. Curious about possible ways to avoid lawsuits and still have this sought after experience.

At least we still have OG swg private servers

This is one of the worst analogies I have ever read.

Actual Good analogy:
It's Star Wars: Unspecialized Edition. A free, fan-made version, emulating the original release, of a commercial product that the IP holder refuses to sell anymore.

Blizzard is within their legal rights to kill it, but the fact that 150k people were playing (and had logged in over the last 10 days) better tell some people over there that this is a market they should be exploiting, not destroying. If it doesn't they are stupid.

Nere

This is one of the worst analogies I have ever read.

Actual Good analogy:
It's Star Wars: Unspecialized Edition. A free, fan-made version, emulating the original release, of a commercial product that the IP holder refuses to sell anymore.

Blizzard is within their legal rights to kill it, but the fact that 150k people were playing (and had logged in over the last 10 days) better tell some people over there that this is a market they should be exploiting, not destroying. If it doesn't they are stupid.

The problem is how many of those 150k people would be willing to pay for Vanilla wow?

Because paying gets you a shitty wow experience where each expansion is worse than the one before.

Opinions.

I disliked Vanilla and BC, loved Wrath, hated Cata, loved Mists, and am meh on Warlords in general.

I think that Blizzard should offer classic servers, but they don't have to, and have every right to shut this down.

I guess the suicide march is cool though.

Also, when I return for Legion, I should really get in on one of those level 1 naked gnome races...

Sigh... If we're all going to play with this analogy, let's get it right.

Let's say McDonald's sells a custom plate (vanilla), and those that buy it are part of a club that can buy a special cheeseburger(pay a sub to play wow). Every year, they release a new plate (expansion) and change up the menu (new content), but for awhile they kept that original cheeseburger, maybe just tweaking the recipe slightly (balance changes, etc). You have to buy the new plate to try the new stuff, but you can keep getting your same cheeseburger if that's your tastes.

Then they decide to discontinue the old burger entirely (cataclysm). They keep offering new plates and new menu items, even offering to give you last year's plate they didn't sell for free to keep you coming back.

The new stuff is okay, but you miss that old burger... Then you hear someone figured out that recipe and you can either make it at home for free, or your friends who're hosting a party for other people that like it(private servers) that only ask you occasionally give them a couple dollars for supplies if you have it to spare, but you can hang out and eat even if you don't.

The problem comes from some people being mad because you don't need to buy the plate at all to eat at your friends (piracy of the wow client), even though McDonald's was giving the old plate for free before they dropped it. And many people still have their original plates (cds).

Others are upset because these new burgers, while they aren't identical, taste a little too much like the original, and therefore must be from a stolen recipe instead of simply copying it.

Nere

Sigh... If we're all going to play with this analogy, let's get it right.

Let's say McDonald's sells a custom plate (vanilla), and those that buy it are part of a club that can buy a special cheeseburger(pay a sub to play wow). Every year, they release a new plate (expansion) and change up the menu (new content), but for awhile they kept that original cheeseburger, maybe just tweaking the recipe slightly (balance changes, etc). You have to buy the new plate to try the new stuff, but you can keep getting your same cheeseburger if that's your tastes.

Then they decide to discontinue the old burger entirely (cataclysm). They keep offering new plates and new menu items, even offering to give you last year's plate they didn't sell for free to keep you coming back.

The new stuff is okay, but you miss that old burger... Then you hear someone figured out that recipe and you can either make it at home for free, or your friends who're hosting a party for other people that like it(private servers) that only ask you occasionally give them a couple dollars for supplies if you have it to spare, but you can hang out and eat even if you don't.

The problem comes from some people being mad because you don't need to buy the plate at all to eat at your friends (piracy of the wow client), even though McDonald's was giving the old plate for free before they dropped it. And many people still have their original plates (cds).

Others are upset because these new burgers, while they aren't identical, taste a little too much like the original, and therefore must be from a stolen recipe instead of simply copying it.

You seem to be under the illusion still that Nostalrius isn't Vanilla WoW but some other version of WoW that they made and Blizzard has nothing to do with it which is completely wrong. It is Blizzard's intellectual property and product they can do whatever they want with it.

McDonalds piracy analogy? Don't you know all piracy analogies should involve cars? In this case the analogy should be: these guys built a 2004 Toyota corrola out of spare parts salvaged from other 2004 corrolas. Then Toyota came along and said no you can't do that we own all the spare parts whether they're in use or not, whether you bought the car or not, etc. etc. So if you want a corrola you gotta buy a 2016 one sorry bud thems the breaks.*

* analogy may not be entirely accurate

You seem to be under the illusion still that Nostalrius isn't Vanilla WoW but some other version of WoW that they made and Blizzard has nothing to do with it which is completely wrong. It is Blizzard's intellectual property and product they can do whatever they want with it.

You can just say "TLDR" instead of replying to a statement I never made.

McDonalds piracy analogy? Don't you know all piracy analogies should involve cars? In this case the analogy should be: these guys built a 2004 Toyota corrola out of spare parts salvaged from other 2004 corrolas. Then Toyota came along and said no you can't do that we own all the spare parts whether they're in use or not, whether you bought the car or not, etc. etc. So if you want a corrola you gotta buy a 2016 one sorry bud thems the breaks.*

* analogy may not be entirely accurate
That is incredibly accurate.

El_Mau

The real question would be how many of those 150K are playing because is free and how many are playing because is the vanilla version.

Acerac

Banned
Personally I drowned my orc warlock in the Great Forge of Ironforge.

Everyone has their own way. What a wonderful community it is.

The real question would be how many of those 150K are playing because is free and how many are playing because is the vanilla version.

If only Blizzard would allow that question to be answered.

Would this fly, and would posters who are supporting Blizzard, support say EA came in and shut down any privately run Battlefront 2 servers, and said, "no you guys can't play Battlefront 2. If you wanna play Star Wars buy Battlefront 2015."

To add to this question, how many more people beyond those 150k would come to try it if it was offered and advertised by Blizzard themselves?

My guess is, around 50% would pay to play on legacy servers. Which is 75k, which is a lot. Enough to tap into that market, imo. Even if it's only 50k, that's still a lot of people, many of whom probably aren't subbed now, but would sub for an official legacy server without fear of takedowns

Novocaine

Lol.

Man you gotta work on your analogy game, this is ridiculous.

KLoWn

To add to this question, how many more people beyond those 150k would come to try it if it was offered and advertised by Blizzard themselves?
And how many of those 150k would even play if it wasn't free? Not as many as some people around here like to believe I'd think.

Because if it wasn't 100% free, 150k people wouldn't even come close to playing there.

You don't know this any more than I know that the number would be larger on officially sanctioned servers...

And how many of those 150k would even play if it wasn't free? Not as many as some people around here like to believe I'd think.

Again, see above. The question isn't one any of us can honestly answer, but the point is there isn't even an option.

Top Bottom