• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalrius Players begin a suicide pilgrimage from Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just because you don't like the latest patch doesn't justify piracy. Just because McDonalds stops selling the McRib doesn't mean you just bring your own ingredients, go into their kitchen, and make one yourself.

Please continue to regale us with analogies so we all start giving a shit about people playing 11-year-old WoW content for free.

They are quite talented and dedicated. Just take a look at their Clustering demo video. This was planned for the future.

Oh I'm sure they are very very good, this seems like no small undertaking.

My question was really more about why it's so complicated for Blizzard to offer a similar service since many people, including Blizzard themselves, have stated that it's not as simple a task as it seems like to a layman such as me. I'm genuinely curious as to why that is

xRaizen

Jagex released Old School RuneScape a few years ago after a LOT of people quit due to the original game's combat being completely overhauled ("Evolution of Combat") and to play on it you needed to pay the same membership fee (paying for RS3's membership allows you to play OSRS, though last year they made a portion of the game f2p).

Want to know how many concurrent players OSRS gets? Almost as much as RS3. Every night you'll see 45-50k people playing Old School and 60-70k playing RS3.

I can guarantee that the majority of OSRS players gladly played the fee to become a member, just to play the game they once loved. Those people do not like RS3 at all, and would never have spent money to play a game if it wasn't offered.

Blizzard could just as easily make "Old School" servers and I'll bet they could make bank off of it. Just make people pay the same subscription fee as the main game, and make the sub allow you to play both OS and main WoW.

Actually, it's like you reverse engineered the recipe so that it was close enough, shared it online so people could make their own and then McDonald's threaten's to sue you.

Seriously though, analogies are terrible. They're always terrible.
You reverse engineered the recipe but people had to bring their own McDonald's plates... which you gave a recipe to print anyway... ?

Awful analogies

Hupsel

I think Im only of the few that didnt like Vanila WoW. I had a paladin main and god these guys sucked. Ret pally ugh...

Realyn

Everybody who thinks Blizzard has no moral or legal standpoint against this? Contact Nostalrius, offer to take over, host the servers in your name and argue your case(which you so strongly believe in) in court. Should be pretty simple.

Tenebrous

My question was really more about why it's so complicated for Blizzard to offer a similar service since many people, including Blizzard themselves, have stated that it's not as simple a task as it seems like to a layman such as me. I'm genuinely curious as to why that is

Blizzard's standard of quality is probably higher than the Nostralius guys. How well does/did Nost run? How buggy is/was it compared to the proper game?

Jagex released Old School RuneScape a few years ago after a LOT of people quit due to the original game's combat being completely overhauled ("Evolution of Combat") and to play on it you needed to pay the same membership fee (paying for RS3's membership allows you to play OSRS, though last year they made a portion of the game f2p).

Want to know how many concurrent players OSRS gets? Almost as much as RS3. Every night you'll see 45-50k people playing Old School and 60-70k playing RS3.

I can guarantee that the majority of OSRS players gladly played the fee to become a member, just to play the game they once loved. Those people do not like RS3 at all, and would never have spent money to play a game if it wasn't offered.

Blizzard could just as easily make "Old School" servers and I'll bet they could make bank off of it. Just make people pay the same subscription fee as the main game, and make the sub allow you to play both OS and main WoW.

I said this myself in the main WoW thread. I don't see it not happening at some point, but everyone else there seemed to think otherwise...

Just because you don't like the latest patch doesn't justify piracy. Just because McDonalds stops selling the McRib doesn't mean you just bring your own ingredients, go into their kitchen, and make one yourself.

What are you even talking about? LMAO. They have all day breakfast dude, who the fuck is going to buy a McRib?

Corpekata

Banned
Everybody who thinks Blizzard has no moral or legal standpoint against this? Contact Nostalrius, offer to take over, host the servers in your name and argue your case(which you so strongly believe in) in court. Should be pretty simple.

I don't think anyone disagrees they have a legal standpoint.

What is it about these types of threads that bring out everyone that's like "Well they're within their rights!" like they're posting some revelation?

No shit. Everyone understands this. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church are within their rights to picket the funerals of dead soldiers. I'm still going to call them a bunch of twats for doing so.

No, instead I go home and make a Morningstar Veggie Riblet instead, which are superior.

la_briola

Well... they are under the impression that they know what we want, but they are the ones that made WoD.

They also said (AFAIR) that they don't have the source code anymore.

Anyways: not all chose suicide!

2v0l8ast0st4.png

Realyn

I don't think anyone disagrees they have a legal standpoint.

What is it about these types of threads that bring out everyone that's like "Well they're within their rights!" like they're posting some revelation?

No shit. Everyone understands this. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church are within their rights to picket the funerals of dead soldiers. I'm still going to call them a bunch of twats for doing so.

Am I supposed to quote page 1/2 saying "I don't see a problem with this because it's an old build I can't play"?

This is no different than playing roms of games that are extremely expensive and/or very hard to get. What are you supposed to do? Sit and twiddle your thumbs?

Is easily my favourite quote this time around. Entitled kids. Yeah, believe it or not, you have no right to play WoW if Blizzard no longer offers it.

Clockwork5

Your flailing here and it's so disastrous but I'll bite. Your analogy sucks and barely considers digital rights and archiving content that is no longer accessible to a player. Why is it okay to recreate Snake but vanilla WoW (which is inaccessible to anyone) is off limits? They aren't using Blizzard's official servers, they aren't impacting anyone from playing the current version of the game and they certainly aren't hurting anyone.

A free server isn't impacting subscriptions? That's a new one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Try paying and you won't need to suicide. Not sure why such notoriety is given to these software pirates.

If they bought World of Warcraft, I'd argue they aren't pirates just for playing on an unofficial server.

Corpekata

Banned
Am I supposed to quote page 1/2 saying "I don't see a problem with this"?

Just because people don't have a problem with this doesn't mean they don't understand the legal standings. Surprisingly, not everyone in the world is 100 percent on board with every law on the planet.

Like those college kids that got fined 100 grand for pirating some music. It got the ISP and music labels a lot of bad press because while people know pirating music isn't legal, they knew also that it was a over the top response.

Blizzard's standard of quality is probably higher than the Nostralius guys. How well does/did Nost run? How buggy is/was it compared to the proper game?

I can't say, I never tried it. I will say that in the screenshots and videos I've seen of it it they have way, way more players in single zones such a Ironforge/Org than I've ever seen in one place it WoW. It's quite impressive.

xRaizen

A free server of a version of the game that cannot be paid to play. I'll bet that most of Nostalrius' players will not pay to play the current version of the game that they don't like.

I'm more of a WotLK person myself.

Novocaine

The thing is, you're not offering anything new that Blizzard doesn't already know. They can see the forum posts, they can look at how many people are playing on these generally quite public "private servers".

If they found the argument compelling and the cost/benefit to be worth it, they wouldn't be coming out so adamantly against it.

We're free to disagree, but I don't see any reason to think they haven't already considered every argument people have leveled at this.

Well considering that there have been people crying out for a vanilla server to some degree since TBC I'm also pretty convinced they have had many discussions involving classic servers. Blizzard are generally pretty good about listening to their customers but in this case it seems like it just wouldn't be worth the cost.

I think Im only of the few that didnt like Vanila WoW. I had a paladin main and god these guys sucked. Ret pally ugh...

Shut up and refresh my BoK.

Oh man I loved killing Paladins in vanilla. They always used a bubble, for some reason they wanted to delay the inevitable.

MUnited83

For you.

A free server of something that can't be subscribed to anymore? No, it isn't impacting shit for the most part. By that metric, they'd be shutting down all the private servers that have more up-to-date content.

Realyn

Just because people don't have a problem with this doesn't mean they don't understand the legal standings. Surprisingly, not everyone in the world is 100 percent on board with every law on the planet.

Just like one post above you. I've tried to explain to that guy that you've never bought the rights to play a offline version of WoW whenver you want to for a good hour yesterday. And he's showing perfect ignorace because he simply doesn't like the truth and the ToS he's agreed to after installing and playing the game. And no, this is not a case of "they don't mean anything" and yabba dabba do.

la_briola

I can't say, I never tried it. I will say that in the screenshots and videos I've seen of it it they have way, way more players in single zones such a Ironforge/Org than I've ever seen in one place it WoW. It's quite impressive.

Nost peak times where ~12k players, original classic was ~3-5k (if I recall correct).
The scripting was "blizzlike", but not perfect and there where many small bugs.

All in all it was quite amazing and unbelievable that they pulled that off.

Kyzer

Banned
I won the roll for pristine hide of the beast.

I sold it for 1k G and made an Arcanite Reaper and Lionheart Helm.

I never got a single piece of Might and still got rocked in PvP. :(

mothball

Man, you can just tell the "b-but blizzard's tos" "b-but it's piracy" people were the kids who always threatened to tell the teacher when the smallest shit came up.

Anyway, the pics in the OP were clearly converted with that old TGA conversion tool with the "adjust brightness" option left checked, which is itself an amusing little piece of vanilla nostalgia.

Zomba13

Just want to fix this a bit for it to make even a tiny bit of sense.

Just because you don't like the latest patch doesn't justify piracy. Just because McDonalds stops selling the McRib doesn't mean you just use McDonalds ingredients, go into your kitchen, and make one yourself.

Because it's using Blizzards "ingredients" (assets and code) but in their "kitchen" (private server).

I'm trying to figure out why some posters are so adamantly against the vanilla server to the point of getting angry about it? Do you play current WoW and some how feel that these player are lost subs that could make current WoW great again? Wouldn't these people find a private server running the current server build. I'm assuming they exist.

Rottmer

Neo Member
I'm trying to figure out why some posters are so adamantly against the vanilla server to the point of getting angry about it? Do you play current WoW and some how feel that these player are lost subs that could make current WoW great again? Wouldn't these people find a private server running the current server build. I'm assuming they exist.

I'm trying to figure it out too. The server isn't really hurting anyone. Its amazing how people get so angry over a game server that has been dated by ten years because people rather play the version of the game they enjoyed most, and not what Blizzard is trying to shove down everyone's throats.

It aint piracy if blizzard chooses not to support vanilla servers that's on them.. it's not like these people are playing on this server strictly because they don't want to pay.. they want a vanilla experience that blizzard refuses to offer..

This is more closely related to roms/emulators at this point, since if blizzard wanted to they could launch a fucking vanilla server anytime,,, I don't understand the vehement defense some of you guys seem to have, the majority of these people are not going to resubscribe simply because this server went down. But if blizzard had a scrap of interest in perserving a community dedicated to their game, well perhaps they'd get an additional 150k subscribers...

A free server of something that can't be subscribed to anymore? No, it isn't impacting shit for the most part. By that metric, they'd be shutting down all the private servers that have more up-to-date content.

I guess this one got too popular.

"We have to send a message to these entitled kids"-Re Blizzard

Jennings

Now they can go meet up in WoW and create new characters on the same server in order to keep playing together. Maybe they could have an event where they all crawl out of the ocean somewhere near Thunder Bluff.

Novocaine

I won the roll for pristine hide of the beast.

I sold it for 1k G and made an Arcanite Reaper and Lionheart Helm.

I never got a single piece of Might and still got rocked in PvP. :(

Might sucked for PvP anyway. Although I rocked the Crown of Destruction from Rag over LH because of the stamina. Made a lot of Hunters and enhance Shaman upset me having that.

How did you stop the hearth?

saddest thing was seeing two pallies try to defeat each other in a duel.

A bubble hearth was a victory to me.

It aint piracy if blizzard chooses not to support vanilla servers that's on them.. it's not like these people are playing on this server strictly because they don't want to pay.. they want a vanilla experience that blizzard refuses to offer..

This is more closely related to roms/emulators at this point, since if blizzard wanted to they could launch a fucking vanilla server anytime,,, I don't understand the vehement defense some of you guys seem to have, the majority of these people are not going to resubscribe simply because this server went down. But if blizzard had a scrap of interest in perserving a community dedicated to their game, well perhaps they'd get an additional 150k subscribers...

I know there is an old quote saying they are against it, but maybe they changed their minds and are going to start progression servers. I would resubscribe for that.

Caffeine

vanilla wow is kinda like abandonware though its not even in the current client files they cleaned those up when cata released.

Alebrije

Did Nostalrius affect Blizzard sales ?

I mean there are ton of games on internet that you can play for free , the only reason that I see is that Blizzard thinks the major base of those player will move to paid service.

Caffeine

I mean there are ton of games on internet that you can play for free , the only reason that I see is that Blizzard thinks the major base of those player will move to paid service.

they wont they will just go find another server lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Lol no way they think that. The only reasons people were playing on Nostalrius (or any private servers for that matter) is :

1) It's free
and/or
2) It's not current WoW.

They sure as hell ain't gonna go to current WoW with a paid sub.

There's nothing wrong with the McDonalds analogy; it's perfectly apt. The "kitchen" is the WoW engine and assets. You don't get to help yourself and put together a version you prefer.

It's shitty that there's no official way of playing Vanilla WoW, but you're not entitled to it. Also, there's no question that some of the people who play Nostalrius may otherwise be paying Blizzard to play WoW if they weren't instead playing this for free. You can argue all you want about how small that number of people is, but it doesn't matter. If Nostalrius costs WoW even one subscriber, then that's lost revenue. Lost revenue due to IP theft, I might add.

And who's to say Blizzard will never revive vanilla WoW in future? Nostalrius would kill any chance of that. And if it did happen at some point in the future, the existence of Nostalrius now would hurt it, as people will have already had their nostalgia kick, and will have no reason to subscribe. Somebody earlier in this thread praised Jagex for RuneScape Classic, but it was years before that was brought back. Do you think they willingly let people run their own private servers during that gap? Of course they didn't.

But apparently IP theft and revenue theft (be it current, or destroying the financial viability of future possibilities) are things a company should just overlook, otherwise they're the bad guys.

I don't begrudge anybody for playing Nostalrius at all. Hell, I may have considered it had I known of it. But there's a clear line between what you want and what you're entitled to. If I had been playing Nostalrius, then I'd have done so with the understanding that Blizzard could pull the plug at any time.

Top Bottom