• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rosario Dawson arrested during pro-democracy sit-in at US Capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

Bern me if posted already, searched and couldn't find.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/15/rosario-dawson-arrested-us-capitol-demonstrations

Rosario Dawson, the actor and celebrity surrogate for Bernie Sanders, was among dozens of people arrested on Capitol Hill on Friday after a week of pro-democracy demonstrations at the heart of the US government.

The actor was briefly detained for processing by police in Washington and will be required to pay a $50 fine, but does not face a court appearance or imprisonment. More than 800 people have been arrested for staging sit-ins on the steps of Congress during five days of protests by a movement known as Democracy Spring.

Wearing an American flag, a black jacket with Sanders’ image and various Sanders badges, Dawson said afterwards that US Capitol police gave her multiple warnings before making the arrest, perhaps because they realised the publicity it would generate. “I wanted personally to be in solidarity with the other folks who put themselves on the line and really just to bring attention to this because I think that’s just vitally important,” she explained.

“The police were really great with us, really lovely. I have to say that is not the case for so many people: Dreamers, Black Lives Matter activists, so many people are not seeing this kind of courageousness ... I hope that officers across the nation can take heed of that and recognise that the peaceful protests that are going around the nation should also be treated in the same way as we are being treated today.”

Democracy Spring argues that elections are dominated by special interests and the activists are pushing for Congress to drop laws that would make it more difficult to vote and overturn supreme court decisions such Citizens United, which they say enhanced the role of big money in politics. Although the campaign echoes some of the themes articulated by Sanders and Donald Trump, it claims to be bipartisan with conservatives marching alongside Black Lives Matters members.

andthebeatgoeson

If Hollywood has taught me anything, it's that she's the perfect match for a black man like me.

You go, bae.

9Py8HHb.jpg

jesu

I had to google the name but I now I know I know her from Daredevil.
She's my kind of Democrat.

The actor was briefly detained for processing by police in Washington and will be required to pay a $50 fine, but does not face a court appearance or imprisonment. More than 800 people have been arrested for staging sit-ins on the steps of Congress during five days of protests by a movement known as Democracy Spring.
Good

That number could really use another couple of zeros if we're talking about congress.

noshten

I though you guys were joking that Rosario is a young white male now

Was this the same protest at which Cenk got arrested ?

Mesousa

Banned
Wearing a jacket with Bernie images is so weird at an event like that, but Rosario is a pro-bernie Shill. I will never forget her trying to BernSplain his vote against the dream act(to Dolores Huerta of all people) in an open letter.

Apt101

I had to google the name but I now I know I know her from Daredevil.
She's my kind of Democrat.

She's been a popular actress with a memorable name for over a decade, surprised you didn't recognize it. But anyways, good for her!

Wearing a jacket with Bernie images is so weird at an event like that, but Rosario is a pro-bernie Shill. I will never forget her trying to BernSplain his vote against the dream act(to Dolores Huerta of all people) in an open letter.

what

It's Democracy Spring, dude. It's pretty much all young Bernie supporters.

Isn't this the woman Bryan Fuller wanted to be the captain of his proposed CBS Star Trek show a while ago? Man, if can get her now that he has the show... Hoo boy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She's an actor.

There's a reason you don't go visit a Doctress when you're sick. Actress is an archaic diminutive and has become passé.

dabig2

Good on her and all the others that partook in the protest. We lose if we stay silent. Hope their activism inspires others and gets the message out. I hope they branch out from Citizens United too. CU was only the logical next step in a process that has been hollowing out America ever since Buckley v. Valeo in '76. The entire sordid history needs to be brought to light.

Gattsu25

Banned
To be fair, the Oscars still recognizes the term "actress"
Yes, they still segregate acting prowess by gender. So?

Didn't know she was politically active. Awesome :)

Saw the first linked TYT vid with her and while it was great I don't want to support that channel :/ They're handling of the BLM protest during Bernie speech in Seattle was problematic at best.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
She's an actor.

There's a reason you don't go visit a Doctress when you're sick. Actress is an archaic diminutive and has become passé.
Good lord, since when did this become a thing?

She's an actress, and it's not insulting.

Is a female waiter not a waitress anymore?

Anyway good for her for standing up for what she believes in. Also good for her to recognize that the police treated her well but that they don't always treat protesters well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom