• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rosario Dawson arrested during pro-democracy sit-in at US Capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzy

tumblr_ljs1x475N81qe5cn6o1_500.gif

"actor" becoming "gender-neutral" is such fucking bullshit. It's sexist, because it stems from the notion that women can only get more respect by being talked to like a man.

You fucking anglophones. There is nothing wrong with masculine and feminine aspects to titles.

Aeana

Good lord, since when did this become a thing?

She's an actress, and it's not insulting.

Is a female waiter not a waitress anymore?

Anyway good for her for standing up for what she believes in. Also good for her to recognize that the police treated her well but that they don't always treat protesters well.

What is the point of having a separate term for a woman in a particular occupation? It's needless delineation.

"actor" becoming "gender-neutral" is such fucking bullshit. It's sexist, because it stems from the notion that women can only get more respect by being talked to like a man.

You fucking anglophones. There is nothing wrong with masculine and feminine aspects to titles.

It's just as easy to look at it the other way: that having a female-specific form is sexist because a woman can't hold the same title as a man.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to claim sexism, but I would say that just having a standard title for a position regardless of gender is the way to go.

Scarfo

Banned
Much love and respect for Rosario Dawson. Many celebs just tweet support for good PR. She goes out there with actions to support her causes. Real recognizes real! I love her!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Anyway good for her for standing up for what she believes in. Also good for her to recognize that the police treated her well but that they don't always treat protesters well.

I'm male and don't act so it's really not up to me to decide whether it's insulting or not - the actor is the one who decides if it's insulting or not- but it's been a thing for at least forty years.

This has been a "thing" for decades. Just say actor and move on.

Africanus

As with many things in English, the change often occurs randomly in the language usage.

For example. People used to say Policeman. Rather than adding on Policewoman, the accepted term has become Police Officer.

Some titles remain. Waiter and Waitress are still common (although it may be generalized as waiter from time to time).

Some have adopted the male form as the neutral as well (much as in Spanish for plurals) Actor and Actress have generally converged to Actor.

sphagnum

Banned

We could just as easily say your language is dumb for assigning genders to things.

If women want to be called actors, call them actors.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

but there is. it unnecessarily bloats a languages vocabulary.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Again, how do you feel about Doctor, prosecutor, interrogator?

What is the point of having a separate term for a woman in a particular occupation? It's needless delineation.

It's just as easy to look at it the other way: that having a female-specific form is sexist because a woman can't hold the same title as a man.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to claim sexism, but I would say that just having a standard title for a position regardless of gender is the way to go.

If both terms are on equal footing because the argument can be used on both sides, then the feminine term has the upper-hand if only because the process of discarding it is one step more towards making English less precise than it already is.

but there is. it unnecessarily bloats a languages vocabulary.

lol

Again, how do you feel about Doctor, prosecutor, interrogator?

These don't have feminine equivalents. If they did and people were suggesting that we stopped using them, I would be singing the same tune.

Seriously, I thought TYT was done after their Super Tuesday meltdown. I am sick of pretending TYT is credible. it isnt.

The Young Turks have utterly destroyed any integrity they had before this primary season. They can never make any kind of jokes about Fox News bias ever again.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
The Young Turks have utterly destroyed any integrity they had before this primary season. They can never make any kind of jokes about Fox News bias ever again.

They're not pretending to be unbiased tho, they are actively saying that they are pro-Bernie.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm male and don't act so it's really not up to me to decide whether it's insulting or not - the actor is the one who decides if it's insulting or not- but it's been a thing for at least forty years.

This has been a "thing" for decades. Just say actor and move on.
If it's been a "thing" for 40 years a) how come so many here are surprised b) Why is there best actress awards? Why don't women qualify for best actor awards, supporting actor etc at the Oscar's and others?

I had never hear of this until today. I watch a lot of movies and read some Hollywood related articles and reviews literally never heard of this.

"I can't remember that actor's name..."
"What movies did he star in?"
"Well, it was a woman first of all."

There are perfectly acceptable situations where it is handy to use words that are more precise. I will however happily concede that a news report stating "Rosario Dawson, the actress known for starring in X, Y, and Z" could easily be rephrased to a gender-neutral format.

who gives a shit about the word.

Edit: I should probably add something constructive too. While the protest is admirable it doesn't seem large enough to have an effect. Maybe it will get bigger though. Money in politics has been pretty important in this campaign season.

loki 16

Good on Rosario for been active on what she believes. Also she is wearing a TYT shirt. Good on her. TYT is fantastic.

smurfx

get some go again
Wearing a jacket with Bernie images is so weird at an event like that, but Rosario is a pro-bernie Shill. I will never forget her trying to BernSplain his vote against the dream act(to Dolores Huerta of all people) in an open letter.
that whole letter made me dislike her.

Thread derail with actor/actress.

The gender-based naming of professions is archaic. This comes from a time when genders were locked out of particular roles, and yes this goes for men as well.

Actress is a useless term as if the "ess" means you act differently from "or". You employ the same techniques.

Now I'm sure some dolt is going to go "But Lion and Lioness!!! Checkmate!" ....

Arksy

Thread derail with actor/actress.

The gender-based naming of professions is archaic. This comes from a time when genders were locked out of particular roles, and yes this goes for men as well.

Actress is a useless term as if the "ess" means you act differently from "or". You employ the same techniques.

Now I'm sure some dolt is going to go "But Lion and Lioness!!! Checkmate!" ....

No it doesn't, it comes from French, a language where professions are generally treated as adjectives and therefore have to agree in gender with the subject or the object to which they are describing. (Note the lack of article here).

"Il est acteur" - He is an actor
"Elle est acrtice" - She is an actress
"Elle est avocate" - She is a lawyer
"Il est avocat" - He is a lawyer

It has nothing to do with ability or sexism or anything. English absorbed a lot of French over the years, vocabulary, grammar, syntax, and a range of other features in a somewhat random and inconsistent manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom