• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

OraleeWey

Link to source.

The exact date of Nvidia Editor’s Event has finally leaked out. The event will be held on the 6th of May 2016 and will be closed to the public eye, with a vetted list of editors invited. This appears to be a good time to round up everything we know about the next generation lineup so far. Pretty much everything has leaked out and only a few bits and pieces remain to be seen.

-
The cards will have a hard launch at Computex 2016 (Market Availability in June).

The flagship graphic card of this year, and the first GPU to utilize the brand new GDDR5X standard from Micron, the Nvidia GTX 1080 will be one impressive card. Rocking the GP104-400-A1 GPU flavor the card is expected to feature 2560 CUDA Cores (given a few assumptions about GPCs and the brand new Pascal Architecture). Given that the die size is around the 300mm² mark, we are looking at performance levels roughly faster than the GTX 980 Ti (depending on how it is clocked).

There's lots more at the link.

Edit: pricing information

The price range of the cards depends entirely on how Nvidia is positioning its lineup. If the GTX 1080 is officially positioned (performance wise) to replace the GTX 980 and not the GTX 980 Ti, then it should be priced somewhere around its $549 price point. On the other hand, if it is positioned (officially) to replace the 980 Ti, the price range can be similar to the MSRP of the Ti: $649 (or even above). In my opinion however, it is more likely that Nvidia will officially position the card against the GTX 980.

Hasney

I'll shove a 1080 or 1070 in my current desktop that I'm going to use as my TV box. I'll wait on a ti or Titan for my VR build.

Would just use the current, but 2500k is a little long in the tooth for VR now.

Roughly? I'll wait for the Ti version then.

That's what I was expecting. Still, a bit on the low side, even though we don't know what they mean by that.

People were speculating on 20% faster than 980ti. It looks like it may not be.

Can't wait for benchmarks.

I'm waiting until the pascal cards drop, the card right now destroys everything as it is.

You mean the high end Pascal cards? These are Pascal cards. Just none really looks to be a massive jump in performance compared to the current cards.

Well aside from the TDP improvements.

ISee

I'm interested but I'll wait for more info/benchmarks and polaris comparisons. My trusted 980 should be able to hold out till the end of this year, at least.

Ryan_MSF

You mean the high end Pascal cards? These are Pascal cards. Just none really looks to be a massive jump in performance compared to the current cards.

Well aside from the TDP improvements.

Yeah, realised my error and edited the post - I think I was expecting a bigger jump with this line of cards ):

Samaritan

"Roughly faster than a 980Ti" paired with the lack of HBM2 makes me glad I didn't wait and instead pounced on a 980Ti last Fall. This doesn't quite seem to be the revelatory upgrade people were expecting it to be.

Should I upgrade to these? I have 2 GTX 670s in SLI atm. Or see if when these release if the previous cards drop in price and get 2 970s for SLI? any other suggestios?

I'm very glad we are getting new tech, but the absence of hbm2 and the reliance of gddr5 for the 1070 is a disappointment. Yes it'll be more powerful then the 970, but I was hoping for a disruptive card like the 970 was.

However, on the other hand, as a 970 owner the good thing is the card will be of good service for a further year or two, with an overclock.

Here's hoping the 1170, 2070 or whatever it is called represents the big leap I'm wishing for.

Justinh

Roughly? I'll wait for the Ti version then.

yeah same. I've been running 2 970s for a while and I'm thinking about giving one away to a friend who's still running a 760 since I wanna upgrade (I'm guessing) sometime later in the year or next year anyways.

I thought those will be lower end?

Well it's hard to know. They won't be their high end Vega HBM2 chips with 4096 shaders. But they could be the R9 4XX series. So we could see R9 470, 480, 490 based on GDDR5. These one's are supposedly supposed to have a serious performance per watt increase. Could still be some pretty legitimately powerful cards even if they are the "lower end or mid end".

bounchfx

cant wait to buy a cheaper 960/70/80 thanks to this. i cannot fathom how some of you upgrade seasonally. I'm using a 660 gtx just fine with recent games, i imagine a 980 will last me until 2020.

but ill gladly buy your old ones cheap, so thanks for that at least!

King_Moc

Banned
Was in for a 1070, but the memory situation has me thinking that a 1080 may be better. Previously the performance increase from the 970 to the 980 wasn't really worth the price increase.

Top Bottom