• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

OneUh8

Okay good. I really want that 1080, but really want to see what the 1070 is going to be all about as that falls more in line with what I like to spend on a GPU.

Vuze

These tiny jumps in performance are everything that is wrong with GPU manufacturing these days.

Is it too much to ask to have a single gpu capable of running GTA V at 4k/60fps with all the settings maxed out? (Minus MSAA of course.) I expect the rate things are going that is going to be a very long way off isn't it? I mean you can't even get a solid 60fps with a 980ti with everything cranked up.

I guess I just expected a bigger leap, I should probably set my expectations way lower.
I'd just wait for the benchmarks before feeling disappointed. I have a hard time believing Nvidia doesn't want to draw the 980 Ti crowd into upgrading.

Hasney

"Roughly faster than a 980Ti" paired with the lack of HBM2 makes me glad I didn't wait and instead pounced on a 980Ti last Fall. This doesn't quite seem to be the revelatory upgrade people were expecting it to be.

I mean, we kinda were expecting this. The big high end Pascal upgrade to ti and/or Titans is the start of next year.

People were expecting more from the 1080, most of that from HBM2 which won't be ready in time.

These tiny jumps in performance are everything that is wrong with GPU manufacturing these days.

Is it too much to ask to have a single gpu capable of running GTA V at 4k/60fps with all the settings maxed out? (Minus MSAA of course.) I expect the rate things are going that is going to be a very long way off isn't it? I mean you can't even get a solid 60fps with a 980ti with everything cranked up.

I guess I just expected a bigger leap, I should probably set my expectations way lower.

If you want a noticeable jump from the 980Ti you're going to have to look at its successor, not these cards.

I mean, I've been putting off buying a card waiting for the Pascal launch, my money is ready to go, and I have a massive backlog of stuff that my 570 just wouldn't be able to adequately handle. If the faster of these cards isn't much better than the 980Ti, I'll have to be okay with that (and maybe resell and upgrade to whatever Big Pascal comes out next year).

Momentary

Banned
What is WCCFT's source for all this? I usually don't trust a single thing they write about without their article actually linking to a more reputable site.

Mithos

so finally time to change my 660ti

Still waiting to replace my 660Ti too, but at €250 budget, not going to happen anytime this side of living. =(
And by replace I mean with something that makes my 660Ti look like "last gen".

Kurdel

Banned
If you want a noticeable jump from the 980Ti you're going to have to look at its successor, not these cards.

"14nm Pascal from the heavens" for more than 2 years and we get another incremental iteration in performance?

If this leak is true, fuck these videocards. I would be pissed if I was waiting for these

Upinsmoke

Still waiting to replace my 660Ti too, but at €250 budget, not going to happen anytime this side of living. =(
And by replace I mean with something that makes my 660Ti look like "last gen".

Same boat.

I was tempted to get a 970 at first but waited, now there is no point.

CHC

Fingers crossed for a good value on the 1070. Not springing for high end again, just not worth it for me right now.

knitoe

I mean, I've been putting off buying a card waiting for the Pascal launch, my money is ready to go, and I have a massive backlog of stuff that my 570 just wouldn't be able to adequately handle. If the faster of these cards isn't much better than the 980Ti, I'll have to be okay with that (and maybe resell and upgrade to whatever Big Pascal comes out next year).

I would expect the 1070 to be slightly slower than a 980ti and 1080 to be 20-25% faster while keeping or having slightly higher price range compare to the 970 / 980. This should get 970 / 980 and some 980ti / Titan X people to upgrade. This has been Nvidia's strategy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just want these to get announced already, 780 just isn't cutting it at 1440.

You are right to set your expectations lower. Nvidia and Intel(CPU's) have been giving us smaller jumps in performance for years due to lack of competition. If AMD was a real threat in the GPU and CPU market I believe you would see more innovation as well as lower costs all around. As it is, the biggest threat in these fields right now, in my opinion, is smartphones and tablets. That's why you see companies like Nvidia and Intel branching out into different businesses so they aren't narrowly focused on their past success in the PC field.

Would love to wait for the Ti with HBM2..but I need a new build like..yesterday. Almost 8 years with the same PC..it's about time to upgrade. 1080gtx seem like it will be fine for 1440p. I hope.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I will keep my GTX 970 for a little bit longer I think.

Anon67

Gaf kept hyping about how the new Pascal cards would be substantially more powerful than the current cards though it seems like this isn't the case. :( But still, I'll probably buy the 1070 or wait for AMD's new cards.

Gaf kept hyping about how the new Pascal cards would be substantially more powerful than the current cards though it seems like this isn't the case. :( But still, I'll probably buy the 1070 or wait for AMD's new cards.

I think at this point it's just smart to see what AMD has to offer in this range as well since I don't think they're far behind.

Mr_Moogle

I'm running a 280X and wondering whether I should just wait it out for HBM2.

The 4K OLED TV I want probably wont be available in my region for a while yet so I may as well wait it out.

OmegaDL50

I've had a HD7950 since 2012 and I think I got all I can out of it.

I've been waiting patiently for Skylake and Pascal to come out to upgrade from my 3570k and HD 7950.

I think I might just opt to get my GPU earlier and wait until 2017 to get my Skylake board and CPU. (At that point Kaby Lake will be released though)

Although this supposed Hard Launch is only to regards the standard reference release of GTX 1080 and 1070?

It's been 4 years since I did my current build, so I can patient a bit longer.

So I wonder how much longer I'll need to wait for EVGA or MSI to come out with one of their factory overclocked/superclocked variants.

I skipped Nvidia Maxwell and AMD Hawaii for this moment. So I hope it pays off.

eFKac

Should a 1080 get me max settings at 1080p/60 until next gen (whatever that means now) not counting performance eaters like some crazy custom AA and physics settings?

iNvid02

aside from a couple of exceptions, i've been buying less stuff day one now, more interested in catching up on my backlog which can actually run well at 4k, but a 1080ti might be tempting

120v

my 970 has been so good to me. if the 1070 is roughly the same size and TDP i won't need another card for years and years

longdi

Banned
It will probably be 5-15% faster than 980Ti. Disappointing that the big cards from Nvidia and AMD are coming only in 2017. 28nm lives!

coughlanio

Having a GTX 970, 4K Monitor and VR setup means I pretty much have to get one of these. I kinda want to see how Polaris plays out first though.

Time to replace my 680 SLI (2GB).

I'm going to spring for a closed loop liquid cooled variant. The heat and noise of the 680's has made me appreciate those factors significantly more.

I have a 290X so I am definitely looking to upgrade this year. I will see what AMD and Nvidia release. I also will get a 1440P gync/freesync monitor

Mivey

will it run Batman AK?
I believe the framerate issues on that game have little to do with GPU power and more with totally fucked up memory handling. Probably from the difference of how the APU on consoles addresses memory (CPU and GPU are basically on same chip and address the same data)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Was in for a 1070, but the memory situation has me thinking that a 1080 may be better. Previously the performance increase from the 970 to the 980 wasn't really worth the price increase.

This. Will probably pick up a 1080 to replace my 970 this year and 2nd iteration VR headset whenever they come along.

Top Bottom